Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah TV tropers are terrible broken people with disturbing sexual fetishes not just like "young maybe nerdy comic book characters"

I don't think every single person who uses tvtropes falls into those categories. That's like saying every single person who's ever used reddit is a pedophile. It's only most of them.

Kamala isn't just nerdy, she follows all the tumblrs, writes fanfiction about superheroes, and generally is super internet community-active. TVtropes is totally her bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I guess you could say if you're at the point of saying "this troper" then you're probably doing more than just browsing the site, but I just took the question to mean "which characters probably spend more time than they should on TV Tropes", and characters like Kamala or Wiccan or Stephanie Brown seem like they'd fit the bill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think every single person who uses tvtropes falls into those categories. That's like saying every single person who's ever used reddit is a pedophile. It's only most of them.

Kamala isn't just nerdy, she follows all the tumblrs, writes fanfiction about superheroes, and generally is super internet community-active. TVtropes is totally her bag.

Yeah but the guy who said she's too young is probably right. Tumblr is the teens of today TVTropes.

TVTropes is from like the SA generation, just a few sad old hangers on who can't let go of 2006 left around.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Hey nerds. I asked this a million years ago but the deal fell apart. I have a bunch of old Wizards lying around and I'm moving so I want to get rid of them. Specifically, I have #74, 88, 90, 92, 94, 96, 99, 100, 105, 108-110, 112, 115, 119, 125, 127, 129-132, 134, 140, 142, 143, 153, 158-161, 163-167, 175, 181, 183, 185, 188 and 200 (the one that "kicks off the next two hundred issues") Let me know if you're interested!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In my experience, you should not mess with old sleeping wizards.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

WickedHate posted:

The TVT mock threads always focused on the worst 10%. While there's never been shortage of terrible poo poo on TV Tropes, most people who visit the site are casual users who don't even touch the forums or even make edits. The whole site has been cleaned up a lot in recent years and is under new management too. Troper tales hasn't even existed for ages.

Is your username the same on both pages?

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I went on a Bad 90's Comic rampage at my local Hastings after a nostalgic viewing of The Maxx animated series and also reading a couple of articles online talking about how bad and horrible Image comics was when they first started. I was in my early teens when Spawn, Shadowhawk, and The Savage Dragon started publishing - fond memories of pouring over those early issues over and over again, completely ate up by the art and the violence and the sex. Nevermind the plot and story of those things were terrible. I was a kid; how would I know what a good comic was?

Anyways, the Hastings had this rack full of unsorted $0.99 comics and so I dug through them with one mission in mind: find as many issue 1's of any 90's comic I could find, Image or otherwise. A couple I picked out just to have again, like The Maxx and Savage Dragon, but there were a couple I had never heard of. Anybody know much about these? Any reason trying to find a complete set of any of these, or should I just read the first issue, get my chuckles and return it to the dustbin of history whence I dragged it?

Merlin
Deathblow
Ripclaw
Shaman Tears
Tribe
Troll

Adhesive
The Eden Matrix

Marvel Frontier
Children of the Voyager

Tome Press
Battle Group Peiper

Entity
Zen: Intergalactic Ninja

Maximum Press
Black Flag

Aircel Comics
Blood n' Guts

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only one on that list I recognize is Zen Intergalactic Ninja. I had a couple of those comics way back in the day and I remember liking them at the time. I think they then sold him to Archie and made a series like Ninja Turtles that kind of sucked.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
And apparently Zen had not just a NES game, but also a Game Boy game. Something else for me to look at later. The cover on this thing is great: shimmery, metallic, embossed. Gaudy and tacky as hell, just like any other LIMITED EDITION cover from that era.

Not my photo:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The NES game was actually pretty good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I never read Moore's run on Supreme and wanted to pick it up. Why is 1-10 completely out of print but 11-20 so available there's a Kindle version?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Kamala Khan is a 1000% safe bet.

Kamala Khan's villain turn moment will come when someone finds her fanfiction.net username and she murders an Avenger to keep it secret.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Justice League War kinda sucks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Justice League War kinda sucks.

The comics it was based on kinda sucked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So my grandpa fell and was hospitalized last sunday, and the scans showed that his cancer is back and terminal, and he's not coming back home. I've been house-sitting and helping my grandma around the house all week, and I just came back from the hospital to visit him. He looks like he's peeked at the ark of the covenant since last I saw him, and it was quite a shock.

I managed to marathon all of Breaking Bad this week to try and keep my mind off things. I punched the hospital wall on my way out like a cheap prime time drama.

Iunno. Sorry to use this thread as E/N.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
drat, I'm sorry Lurdiak. It sounds miserable, and I really hope you're doing okay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zen is back, currently appearing in a new series drawn by 90's EXTREME STUDIOS super star Marat Michaels.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

So my grandpa fell and was hospitalized last sunday, and the scans showed that his cancer is back and terminal, and he's not coming back home. I've been house-sitting and helping my grandma around the house all week, and I just came back from the hospital to visit him. He looks like he's peeked at the ark of the covenant since last I saw him, and it was quite a shock.

I managed to marathon all of Breaking Bad this week to try and keep my mind off things. I punched the hospital wall on my way out like a cheap prime time drama.

I lost a few of people close to me in the past two years, and I don't know what to say except that I hope you and your family are surrounded by friends an loved ones—like, almost intrusively crowded by people who care for you, and want to help. That, and the ability to get lost in weird distractions kept us as functional human beings more than anything else. I hope you have some comfort around. If you need to talk to an internet web rando from a dying comedy forum, I'm right here.

And so is Superman.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to hear about that Lurdiak, I don't think anyone begrudges you using this thread to vent, if you need to.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I don't get it, why did they paint Jesus hugging himself?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

He's fast enough that he can give himself a hug.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

He's fast enough that he can give himself a hug.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak, I've lost all of my grandparents myself, so I know what you're going through. My best advice is as you're going through this and beyond, to remember him before all this, the good times you had together.

WickedHate posted:

I think you might be confusing Superman with Adam Warlock.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 6, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's less fun when the Christ analogue is explicitly a Christ analogue.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Lightning Lord posted:

Lurdiak, I've lost all of my grandparents myself, so I know what you're going through. My best advice is as you're going through this and beyond, to remember him before all this, the good times you had together.

I think you might be confusing Superman with Adam Warlock.

Adam Warlock is supposed to be christ? But I thought Wundarr the Aquarian was christ?

Actually, I had to look up the name because I thought his name was just Aquarius but figured I might be wrong, and the wiki showed up, and...
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Wundarr_%28Earth-616%29

The Marvel Wikia posted:

Wundarr's powers were used to probe the powerful object called the Cosmic Cube. In an accidental power overload, Wundarr's mind and body were overwhelmed by the Cube's energies. Consequently, Wundarr's abilities were greatly heightened but his mind was shut down, as it was not yet able to cope with the influx of new power. In communion with the sentience of the Cosmic Cube, Wundarr gained great knowledge and a sense of purpose. Emerging from his coma, he renamed himself the Aquarian and set forth to use his new powers to bring peace and enlightenment to the world. He has since helped the sentient life-form in the Cube to metamorphose into its next state of being.

And now I'm wondering if they're gonna, like, bring him in out of nowhere for the new Avengers crossover. Given that it's about a sentient but incomplete Cosmic Cube.

I highly doubt it, though. That'd be bringing in someone who's never going to be in any kind of a movie event.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry to hear that dude. My girlfriend list her grandpa this year and I know it's best to be with the old guy till the better end. Also be there for your parents.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

C'mon folks, we're talking Satan and all relevant satanoids this month! Which means I can recycle this page from last month's Reaganfest:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squizzle posted:

C'mon folks, we're talking Satan and all relevant satanoids this month! Which means I can recycle this page from last month's Reaganfest:

Doubly relevant, Nancy Reagan just died.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Doubly relevant, Nancy Reagan just died.

I thought I felt a rise in the dark side of the Force.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tbf I can't muster the same kind of giddiness about Nancy Reagan just saying no to life as I did about the final end of Scalia. It's difficult to be as angry about a jerk-rear end aristocrat who had no special power beyond jerk-rear end aristocracy.

I'm going to just quietly allow her loved ones to mourn the passing of the former First Lady and Blowjob Queen of Hollywood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"Nancy Reagan dying" is definitely no "Margaret Thatcher being slain by Simon Belmont".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Just wanna start off saying sorry to hear about your grandpa Lurdiak :( totally feel free to use this thread as E/N, Chat thread's here for ya.

Squizzle posted:

tbf I can't muster the same kind of giddiness about Nancy Reagan just saying no to life as I did about the final end of Scalia. It's difficult to be as angry about a jerk-rear end aristocrat who had no special power beyond jerk-rear end aristocracy.

I'm going to just quietly allow her loved ones to mourn the passing of the former First Lady and Blowjob Queen of Hollywood.

She did help popularize gay conversion camps with her endorsement of them. I agree though that "helped popularize a thing by endorsing it" isn't nearly as evil or at least not as direct an evil as going to work every day and actively voting for/implementing reactionary policies so I can't really be as excited or laugh at hard at Nancy's death.

E: Also, Scalia was still actively a Supreme Court Justice. Nancy had stopped being first lady decades ago.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 7, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It definitely helps a lot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My problem with Nancy Reagan's death that makes me unable to enjoy it is that she died peacefully of natural causes at the age of ninety loving four. Karmic retribution it ain't. Thankfully, I believe in Hell. :devil:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrProsek posted:

Just wanna start off saying sorry to hear about your grandpa Lurdiak :( totally feel free to use this thread as E/N, Chat thread's here for ya.

She did help popularize gay conversion camps with her endorsement of them. I agree though that "helped popularize a thing by endorsing it" isn't nearly as evil or at least not as direct an evil as going to work every day and actively voting for/implementing reactionary policies so I can't really be as excited or laugh at hard at Nancy's death.

E: Also, Scalia was still actively a Supreme Court Justice. Nancy had stopped being first lady decades ago.

Imma be honest, spending the last 25 years growing older and watching the cultural landscape turn against your ideals, unable to do anything about it, seems like decent enough revenge.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CapnAndy posted:

I never read Moore's run on Supreme and wanted to pick it up. Why is 1-10 completely out of print but 11-20 so available there's a Kindle version?
Alan Moore's run on Supreme was ind of a mess publishingwise, what issues are you saying are on Kindle?

Moore took over Supreme with issue #41, published by Image. A second issue (#42) came out from Image, and then Liefeld got kicked out of Image for a variety of reasons. #43-48 were published by Maximum Press (Liefeld's parachute publishing company) under the title "Supreme: The New Adventures" and then Maximum went out of business. Liefeld took a break for several months and then moved onto Awesome Comics, co-owned(?) by EiC Jeph Loeb. Awesome published the next batch (#49-56) as just plain "Supreme". Then there was like a year gap for some reason I forget, and the series continued under "Supreme: The Return" by Awesome, which ran for six issues and have retroactively been assigned Supreme #57-62. Then Awesome collapsed.

Thirteen years later, Erik Larsen picked up the last script that Alan Moore wrote for Supreme and finished it off in Supreme #63. This didn't particularly wrap things up conclusively, so Larsen wrote another five issues that somehow crossed over elliptically with both Savage Dragon and Invincible and left the book on a series of cliffhangers with this note in the lettercol:

Erik Larsen posted:

I told [Rob Liefeld and Eric Stephenson] what I thought would be a good idea [for Supreme]. I had no intention of actually working on the book. But they both seemed to like what I had in mind and so a deal was struck. I'd do the book just long enough to set the pace and get the ball rolling. And now my job is done. I've been kept in the dark as to what's coming up next on the book. I'm sure whatever it is it'll be a gas and a half.

Two years later Supreme Blue Rose by Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay, which was basically a reboot and lasted seven issues.

The only Supreme available digitally appears to be Larsen and Ellis's runs. Devil's Due somehow has the publishing rights to the older Supreme stuff, and have digital versions of his first issue (#41) and then the very end up digitally. I remember the trades of these were absolutely awful in terms of being designed badly and having pages turn up pixelated like they were made off of 640x480 scans of the comics or something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

Alan Moore's run on Supreme was ind of a mess publishingwise, what issues are you saying are on Kindle?
So I know Moore did 20 issues of Supreme. Here's the first ten, super super out of print. Here's the second ten, which I could buy for 14 measly dollars but does me no drat good without the first ones. Go figure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

So I know Moore did 20 issues of Supreme. Here's the first ten, super super out of print. Here's the second ten, which I could buy for 14 measly dollars but does me no drat good without the first ones. Go figure.

This is the best deal I can find on singles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPREME-41-...HoAAOSwMmBVuC6Q

Edit: If memory serves the rights on the Alan Moore run are split and Titan or Check Books still own the rights on some of it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 7, 2016

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cheers, Lurdiak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

KaosMachina posted:

Adam Warlock is supposed to be christ? But I thought Wundarr the Aquarian was christ?

Actually, I had to look up the name because I thought his name was just Aquarius but figured I might be wrong, and the wiki showed up, and...
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Wundarr_%28Earth-616%29

And now I'm wondering if they're gonna, like, bring him in out of nowhere for the new Avengers crossover. Given that it's about a sentient but incomplete Cosmic Cube.

I highly doubt it, though. That'd be bringing in someone who's never going to be in any kind of a movie event.

Warlock was Jesus of Counter-Earth. The High Evolutionary was God. Man-Beast was Satan. Then Jim Starlin made him Space Elric.

Wundarr is hippie Superman (Sunshine Superman is also this)

Rhyno posted:

Edit: If memory serves the rights on the Alan Moore run are split and Titan or Check Books still own the rights on some of it.

This is all part of my theory that every generation has a Miracleman, and Alan Moore always writes it.

• Locked thread