Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

A sham and a farce.

Too early to pick aprils thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Take your pingers before you leave?

Part of the problem is people taking their entire days supply of pingers in one go.

Clearly the solution is to have different caps of gelatin that break down at different rates, so you can put your pingers inside those, and then take em all, and they will kick in over a delayed time period, and not all at once.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

"John Howard: The greatest PM of our time" - Terry Barnes is a policy consultant, former senior Howard government adviser and a weekly columnist for The Drum. He worked on Coalition health, aged care and carers policies for the 1996 election campaign.

That's from the Drum

I was half tempted to read that, but i didnt want to throw up this early in the morning.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

It is unfortunately true. Between 1996 and 2016 who's a better PM? Rudd/Gillard is really the only other nominee and as hosed up as Howard is/was they really can't claim to have done much. Ten plus years in the job carries it's own gravitas. If anything it is a damning indictment on the poo poo nature of our politicians.

Gillard got quite a bit done, the majority of which was good for the nation. The NBN, the BER, the price on carbon. Plus she worked with a minority government and a much more fractured senate than what we have now.

Its not her fault it all got dismantled after she got rolled.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

And apparently there is an AFP investigation to go along with that.

This could get interesting.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/04/paul-sheehan-suspended-sydney-morning-herald-false-rape-story

quote:

The Sydney Morning Herald columnist Paul Sheehan has been “stood aside until further notice” over his false story of the woman “Louise” who claimed she had been raped and beaten by Muslim men.

hahhhahhahahahahahaha

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

he'll be back in a few weeks.

shush let me enjoy my schadenfreude

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-04/country-racing-clubs-chasing-certainty-over-sale-of-tab/7220830

WA R&G minister encouraging people to gamble on the nags.

Truly the second worst state.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

I am declaring my intention to become a voluntarily unemployed parasite due to the trifling issue of being held up at machete and cleaver point at my job 90 minutes ago. Huff a fart catman

That sucks man. Hope you are OK.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I'm pretty sure someone in hear said it best.

Don't think of welfare as a handout to those who don't deserve it. Think of it as a bribe to stop the many many poor people out there from uprising and killing the rich and taking what they own by force.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Also jesus gently caress are there any major banks in australia that arent awful as gently caress? no

Major banks? No. Minor banks? Yes.

Check out Bendigo Bank, or a local credit union in your area. Also, PNbank is pretty good, but I dont know if they are over east yet.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In news that will surprise noone, pensioners are ripping off millenials all round the world

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/07/revealed-30-year-economic-betrayal-dragging-down-generation-y-income

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MonoAus posted:

I'm still not clear on what the purpose of these fines are beyond appearing to do something about a perceived "problem" but not actually doing anything at all.

No, I think you are perfectly clear.

You are just assuming there must be something more to it, because surely there must be, but there isnt.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

I'd be surprised if basic income is popular anywhere outside this thread and the minimum-wage crowd. Most people work hard for their $$ and don't want their savings eaten by the inevitable inflation.
A libertarian being explicitly wrong about something? I am surprise personified. There are a bunch of trials of mincome going on now in European cities. Also, I think you will find that its only assholes who worry about what other people earn.

quote:

For anyone above income $X, it's not "free money" because you are taxing them more than you are paying in basic income. X obviously varies depending on how much you plan to pay - what figure do you suggest per week? - and how much bureaucracy can be slashed, if any.
X would depend on where you lived. You would not need the same income to survive in Hobart as you would in Perth. And immediately after we have had a pages long discussion on how much centrelink sucks and how evil JSAs are, you coming in wondering if any bureaucracy can be cut. Truly and deeply ignorant. Good work pupper.

quote:

You will still need to deal with special cases such as people who pump all their money into pokies and end up starving.
We dont deal with these people especially well now, why the sudden concern for them in the future?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

We already have a system that tries to reward people who do things society values that are in short supply; the market. Becoming a doctor is necessary and difficult, therefore pay is good. We have no shortage of people who can make hamburgers, therefore working at Maccas won't make you a millionaire.
How do you explain the pay packets and conditions of teachers and nurses in your fanciful little world? Or do you not think that people who essentially teach the next generation and keep us alive are not things people value?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-09/kalgoorlie-mayor-calls-for-young-repeat-offenders-to-be-caned/7233830?section=wa

quote:

A West Australian mayor has called for a return to corporal punishment of juvenile criminals, and has pledged to pursue the matter with the Barnett Government.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder Mayor John Bowler said magistrates should have the option to order the caning, in what he argued was a bid to shock and deter young offenders from "a life of crime."

While he conceded the idea would be seen as a somewhat radical step, and would only be a "last resort", he said the current approach to juvenile justice was failing to make an impact.

"It's pretty draconian, and some would say barbaric," Mr Bowler, a former state Labor MP, said.

"But maybe a couple of cuts across the hands, or across the bottom, may turn their life around."

WA trying hard to take Worst state crown from QLD.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

Because of that typically short-sighted "ME FIRST" bullshit that regional areas always come out with,

This only happens because if it doesnt regional areas often get forgotten and skipped over.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

You can smell the panic in the real estate market, I guess it must be terrifying when the generation you were counting on to prop up the ponzi scheme has second thoughts:

http://www.realestate.com.au/news/confessions-of-a-firsthome-owner/news-story/dca447f3bbdfd779b2e56b14aa219ad1

Its still the same bullshit, but at least they sort of recognise that the current market is bullshit.

"If only this generation would stop doing anything social and stop spending money, maybe they too could achieve what I have achieved. Whats that, an entire generation not contributing to our consumption based economy? No I cant see any down sides to that at all, because property always goes up"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

so given that different-looking people, gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life

Maybe you like laughing at those types, but not all of us do. Maybe you should stop projecting?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Sounds like Smith is kind of hosed. Two MPs who were linked to his candidacy have backed McGowan, and no active WA Labor politician is supporting him.

I wonder what the hell he was thinking bringing this on.

powerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpoweproweprowerpowerpower

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Imagine seriously believing what libertycat believes.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

I'm done with this derail.
Oh well, if you say so.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

I agree some schemes/programs historically have been poo poo but is the answer just do nothing in case there is disagreement from anyone?

Funnily enough, no, the answer is not to do nothing. The answer is to ask the people who live there what will work, and give them some agency back in the decision making process that massively effects them.

This is not a popular idea, because it will probably involve the effected groups coming out and saying "what you have been doing isnt working. Stop doing it. You were wrong." and politicians dont like being told they were wrong.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

It appears the Greens will do a preference swap with the LNP.

What are you basing this on?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...84d42f2e2d0a750

When the Libs are briefing The Oz, it's happening.

chortle. uh huh.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

If you're going to jump on a boat, throw away your documentation, and come to Australia, you should know what to expect.

Except we have signed and ratified laws stating that we will offer refuge to people in fear of torture and murder in their homeland.

poo poo, we helped draft them.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chadzok posted:

actual advice: don't chase performance. find the closest thing your super has to an index fund with the lowest fee possible. over your next 60 working years the fees you pay will make a much bigger impact on your end result than your choice of fund.

Clarification. Get your money in an industry superfund. They consistently have higher returns, and fees tend to be either comparable or better than for profit money managers.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Hey long as we're talking super, I was checking out those ethical super funds and wondering if I should switch over to one of them. Does anyone know if there's any major differences between Australian Ethical and Future Super?

Read the fine print in the PDS before making a decision. That should lay out all of the fees and charges. In the 2 minutes I looked at them, I would be going with Australian ethical, because they averaged 10%, which Future, did 7%.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Its been found since then, unfortunately.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Wait.. Greens voters are always bitching at me how horrible binding votes are to politics and the ALP are horrible people for doing it. This only applies when its something you dont like?
Those greens voters might be confused. The greens work on a consensus basis. They vote in a block because they want to, because they have been convinced of the argument. Not because the party says so.

quote:

The ALP historically has allowed conscience votes on these kinds of issues.
Why does a party that was formed on the solidarity of the union movement, where everyone worked together for the common good, and a party where they force people to vote against their will all the time, suddenly decide that gay marriage is the thing that is so vitally important that its ok to have a conscience vote on it?

quote:

The current Parliamentary party only has a few against it. 2-3 if that.
So why isnt it party policy now?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

I don't know if I'm convinced that exhausted votes are more democratic than group voting.

If I only want to give my vote to a certain group of people, I should not be forced to give them to different people in a process I have little knowledge of or power over.

IMO its more democratic to say "i only want to vote for candidate x, y or z." and then have your vote exhausted because your candidates did not get in, rather than have your vote shuffled off into a byzantine process where there is no clear way of knowing the outcome.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

So if a Green was elected and didnt believe in marriage equality there would be no repercussions if they voted no?
This wouldnt happen. Maybe you would like a better description on how consensus works? Its a fairly simple idea, but i can use small words if you want.

quote:

Because historically they have allowed conscience votes for these issues.
This is one of the worst possible justifications for a poo poo idea hth

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm pretty sure today the Herald Sun had a full page front page headline saying to never let some murderer out of prison because he had "only" been sentenced to be locked in jail until 2050.

Anger and cruelty shouldn't form the backbone of our penal system.

I think you are coming at it from a different angle that freepcat up there. You are thinking of the penal system as a rehabilitation system. He is coming from an angle of the penal system is a punishment system, and to him, those darn crims just arent being punished enough.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Has anyone got any interesting political links they'd like me to include in April's OP?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/30/libertarians-arent-our-allies-in-building-a-progressive-australia

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Has anyone got any interesting political links they'd like me to include in April's OP?

http://theconversation.com/on-nanny-states-and-race-leyonhjelm-exposes-the-moral-thinness-of-libertarianism-43916

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

He is announcing his new political party.

Which I think is brilliant. It will split the conservative vote, and it will most likely result in him not being elected because he got in on the Liberal vote, not the Cory Bernardi vote.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-30/manus-island-asylum-seekers,-refugees-on-the-move/7284960

quote:

Papua New Guinea's Immigration Department has said it is moving asylum seekers and refugees at the Manus Island detention centre to help them get ready to leave.

Key points:

More than 800 asylum seekers to be moved from Manus Regional Processing Centre.
PNG authorities inform refugees they can no longer stay at the centre.
Refugees believe PNG not a safe place to be resettled.

The PNG Immigration and Citizenship Service Authority (PNGICSA) confirmed the 850 detainees in the Australian-funded centre were being separated based on whether their refugee claims had been accepted.

"Separate accommodation will enable us to provide services and support appropriate to each cohort's immigration status," PNG's Deputy Chief Migration Officer Esther Gaegaming said in a statement.

"Refugees will be provided assistance to settle elsewhere in PNG. Non-refugees will be provided assistance to return to their country of origin, consistent with international practice."

Ms Gaegaming confirmed asylum seekers had been given deadlines for the processing of their refugee claims.

"The purpose of the Manus Regional Processing Centre is for the processing of refugee claims," she said.

"That processing will soon be finished.

"All refugee status initial assessments for asylum seekers at the Manus Regional Processing Centre will be completed by March 31.

"All refugee status determinations, including independent review for negative cases, will be finalised by June 30, 2016."

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

holy poo poo Tim Ferguson is still a thing?

Yeah, he is in a wheelchair now, but had a comedy show kicking round last year sometime.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

what the gently caress cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

I was playing it for the laughs :shrug:

A good comedian plays to the crowd.

• Locked thread