Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

(Not playing favourites here, honestly can't find a Pope with DiNatale in it)
He's in the back of the Snape one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Is the plan for Labor to run a scare campaign against the Greens by labelling them as in lock-step with the Liberals? Because I don't see how that would work.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bent Wookiee posted:

It's been said that this is going to be the Greens "GST moment", which doesn't really stand up under scrutiny.
Because clearly most people who voted Greens did so due to their strong opposition to senate reform. :rolleyes:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lid posted:

Unless you are specifically pinpointing one guy you really have it in for
The best part of voting below the line.

Voting 1, 2, 3, 487, 4, 5 is totally worth the extra twenty minutes in the booth.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I also sometimes number the boxes 115, 116, 118, 117, 119, just in the vain hope that for a brief second the scrutineer may wonder why I did that.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Seagull posted:

doing it for the sake of annoying scrutineers is bad
I was trying to make it less boring. It's not my fault there are always about fifteen different variants of the Australian Ultra-Racist Party to fill in.

Are you allowed to doodle cartoons in the margins instead, or would that invalidate the vote?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Calling a DD before the budget is really crazy.
Yeah this is what I didn't get about all the DD speculation. Surely delivering a shocker budget would still be better than obviously running to the polls before said budget, which would fool no-one.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Safe Schools decision is where I'm frankly wondering what the point was of replacing Abbott.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Each party should just run the other sides ads but in monochrome and shifted to a minor key.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

freebooter posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the lesson of the 2013 election that personal popularity/unpopularity doesn't matter? i.e. the public widely disliked Abbott but voted Liberal in a landslide anyway because 2PP is what matters to most people. Which would suggest Mal's personal approval rating is irrelevant.
I'm not sure you can take many lessons from 2013's election, it was pretty bizarre all round.

However looking at the opinion polls at the time of the election while Abbott was more "unsatisfied" than "satisfied", Rudd was polling worse. The election was called during the honeymoon period after Rudd 2 was installed and then his ratings plummeted during the campaign.

edit: Here's a wikipedia link for some opinion poll data:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Australian_federal_election,_2013

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Does "deter investment that creates jobs" refer to anything specifically or is it just political white noise?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Anidav posted:

Wow. People are starting to flock to Shorten. I guess Turdball only has soft support. Very interesting
I could certainly believe it. For me at least the only thing Turnbull had going for him was the hope that he would steer the Liberals back towards the small-l liberal side of the party, and he blew that reputation out of the water by how his party are lock-step against the Safe Schools program. Apart from appeasing the conservatives all he seems to be doing is treading water and hastening the election.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Libs in opposition could reinstate Abbott as their leader.

And then after a term of Bland Shorten he might have a shot at getting back in as PM. :sigh:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

How do they think punting the referendum into the distant mists of next government mean it suddenly isn't an election issue?

edit: Do they know that the opposition they'll be running against isn't the other Liberal faction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Would that mean the rest of Queensland becomes South Queensland?

And when they split again the next new state would be New South Queensland?

• Locked thread