Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

freebooter posted:

So is the housing market going to collapse or what

At this point I want it to happen not so much so I can afford a house, more because I want boomers to get their comeuppance

Remember that during a housing crash, it just allows rich people to buy even more property. There is no end, death is certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's a really good idea if you want the number of informal ballots to skyrocket.

I could see this being a plus for me personally.

Atrocious idea though.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Endman posted:

SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILLSPILLSPILLSPILLSPILLPSIDAPOISEDGFSDG

This would be as uneventful than the GIllard spill. Possibly less so.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

So whats the possible outcomes of Abbott being investigated for leaking documents?

:fork:

Will be ironic if his own penchant for gestapo tactics gets him

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What about First-Past-the-Post?
:frogout:

I'd only heard about this in the context of it being bad, so I googled it.

:stare:

Why anyone thinks this is good and fair is beyond me. It seems entirely indefensible as a concept.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Endman posted:

Doesn't the UK still use FPTP?

Yes, alone with a depressing amount of other nations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Regarding centrelink, I'm currently looking for work but in no real situation to get financial assistance (own a rental property and have a solid amount of savings). Is it worth talking to them to try and find work through any of their channels?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

fickle poofterist posted:

Do you care what sort of work you get?

Absolutely not. Only can't work during the day on Monday or Tuesday. I'm studying prerequisites to get into a masters, and part time study and no job is actually really boring.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I remember an Energex worker doing some stuff on my street I got chatting to one day. Apparently my house was supposed to get NBN by December!

It was June 2013 :suicide:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I'd do poo poo jobs. I applied for a job as a fish gutter a week or so ago.

Not being fully occupied with work or study is actually really boring.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

Teachers and nurses aren't in short supply. If they were salaries would rise until the problem corrected itself.

Some teachers are. Try finding a LOTE teacher outside of State capitols. Know how much more they are paid? between 10-100 a fortnight extra locality allowance

It's been in constant demand for years, teacher availabiility has no effect on the cost, despite some areas being very populated (primary teachers, high school P.E teachers etc.) and some having so much demand that unqualified teachers have to be put in their stead.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 10, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

It's just everyone copying John Oliver anyway.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And gently caress Charlie Pickering. He's so terribly unfunny.

He's ok. Being a die hard Brooker fan, he's just a pale copy. Even his two less funny comedy character friends aren't as good.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Rightio, so I finished my run around with centrelink today. Keep in mind, at no point was I ever asking for money, I was looking for assistance in finding more work.

First, went into an office and talked to someone who set up an interview with some kind of job service agency and gave me some ID.

Second, went to the job agency, where I was told that unless I was receiving payments they can't do anything for me.

Then I had a phone interview saying I wasn't eligible for payments (that I wasn't seeking) and I should apply through jobs through websites like Seek.com

:thumbsup:

Thanks for wasting three large amounts of time I could have spent doing something productive, like applying for more jobs, or tying a noose.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

5% is considered "full" employment under certain situations.

It's an economic term, not a literal one.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So the LNP wants to build a metro subway for brisbane?

What the gently caress good will that do? Isn't the problem with Brisbane (and indeed any city with major urban sprawl) copious amounts of people descending from the suburbs all at once creating bottlenecks into the major centre? Or am I completely missing what a "metro subway system" means.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

open24hours posted:

people would be able to transfer to the metro for the last (or first) leg of their trip.

Being a regular of Brisbane public transport, I wonder why they think this is the most pressing issue.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Wait what?

What happened according to something that isn't I'm assuming textbook propaganda.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

MonoAus posted:

Willingness to perform the sex act defines your sexuality. Men who have sex with other men but are "not gay or bisexual" are in denial about their sexuality or are conflating being "gay" with being a effeminate. :shrug:

It's a separate definition that covers anyone who doesn't identify as homosexual, but engages in what would normally be considered gay. Like for example, people who have gay sex in prison, but otherwise wouldn't do so.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hey remember when we were supposed to help resettle 12000 Syrian refugees?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-17/29-refugees-resettled-under-government-12000-intake/7254784

We still have some way to go

quote:

Mr Dutton today said a total of 29 refugees had been resettled as part of that intake

This is from when it was announced in September last year. 7 months to settle 29 people. What the gently caress

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Cleretic posted:

poo poo, some of my family probably would've voted for him if they lived in a place where they could.

He's from Queensland by the way. North Queensland. The part of Queensland that Queenslanders laugh at.

Also remember that time he challenged a twitter critic to a fight irl?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Eyespy posted:

Brisbane mayoral voting update:

Three voting machines are busted in Macgregor. Barbecue working fine!

I just paid $2.50 for my :siren:SAUSAGE IN BREAD:siren:

edit:in the interest of collating data, I should point out there was also optional bacon.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

yeah two fiddy is a travesty of democracy.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Recoome posted:

Wow it turns out that the United Patriots Front, known for being racist, also hate gay people

https://www.facebook.com/unitedpatriotsfront/videos/253625954971864/

Bonus points for :siren:Marxism:siren:

Did you see that thing where they took literal Nazi progapanda and replaced everything Germanic with 'strayan beaches? Subtle.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Democracy just means you can vote in lying cretins.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I posted this poo poo ages ago, on how tenuous some of those links are.

quote:

This kind of format is ripe for abuse, and I'd actually like to see it done with politicians just to see if they think the comparison is fair in any way. First thing to note is that ALL of these links are under links for local organisations that support them, not as direct resources. All of the resources are on their separate page, and appear to be self contained within Safe Schools.

Firstly top right, family planning NSW (seriously?). Of course it has some sexual content, but all is presented in a factual manner, and feature many questions that teenagers may want answers to. Most laughably though, is the "features oral sex information for youth". This actually does exist, although specifically it is the results of a survey regarding what young people know about oral sex, and doesn't even contain advice. It's just a survey with such revelations as, the most common query regarding it was about health and safety regarding STDs. Almost like they could have benefited from a better sex ed program.

Going clockwise, Twenty10, and the claim that they "hosted" an S&M workshop. No idea what that means, but I found no evidence of their involvement in any such thing.

Next is Seahorse Victoria, a transgender support organisation, and the claim that a sex club is a "recommended venue". Firstly, it isn't a recommended venue, it is on a list of trans friendly venues, a list which also contains things like cafes and bars. Secondly, its a fetish club, not a sex club, and I'm no expert but I believe those are not the same thing. The other one on the list is clearly marked as an 18+ website, and you may see, has no even tenuous contact with Safe Schools. It's the same street address as a venue that is trans friendly.

Moving along to Minus18, an LGBT youth group that was behind that ball that got supported by homophobes and everyone lold. Firstly their link to a "gay bar". It isn't a gay bar for starters, it's a hotel that hosts all kinds of LGBT events, called the GH hotel. Also, the "event partner" part of the claim I assume is referring to the fact that one of Minus18's events was there. What was it? An under 21s dance party. Apparently there is a direct link to a sex toy site? I couldn't find it, although the site seems to be pretty massive, it might be there. Lastly is Scarletteen, which appears to pretty much be sex ed aimed at teens, and fairly innocuous.

Oh yeah, and apparently there is an explicit video on youtube (you can report these btw) linked to by workingitout. I couldn't find it. I can't help but feel if this is the extent of the controversy, we're in for a thoroughly uninteresting inquiry.

Ironically, the image posted on twitter is far more explicit than anything I came across.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I went to centrelink with the hope of finding work, any work. At no point was I asking to get any payment, and my income from a rental property + savings means I won't be in financial trouble for some time at least.

Wasted three afternoons, after which I got told I wasn't eligible for payments I never asked for, and there was nothing they could do to assist me other than tell me to look for jobs on sites like seek.com. Top use of time and resources all around.

gently caress that if you actually need to eat.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Why do you even need help finding a job?

Because I've been applying for every job I come across with no success yet?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

Go to uni and make yourself more employable or something.

I am studying part time. That may be partly the reason why I'm having trouble.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

You Am I posted:

No, your issue is you are getting income from a rental property. Not that you are studying. Stop whinging, you already have it better than 90% of unemployed people.

Having trouble getting employed, think you may have misunderstood.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

Does your university have some job seeker support? A consistent lack of interest from employers might point towards something wrong in your resume or cover letter. Having people who actually care about getting you in a job (i.e. not JSAs) look over my cover letters and CV gave me a bunch of stuff to work on and also gave me a lot of confidence.

Will check that out, cheers.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Negligent posted:

wait till valve just geoblocks australia from steam :)

Piracy from previously paying customers?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

http://www.fortitude-australia.com/about-us/
Anyone recognise the symbol on the shirt at 3:06?

Top half looks like a leviathan cross, which is usually a symbol for LaVeyan Satanism. Bottom is different though

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Newly elected Greens Gabba councillor wants a paycut for pollies, including himself. Will be very interested to see what comes of this

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I can't be the only one cynical enough to think that was happening anyway. It's like Snowden all over again.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Oh, and it was Kyle Sandilands, because of course it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hey states, in exchange for less money I'll in return give you less money

quote:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has beefed up his argument in favour of allowing the states to directly levy a portion of income tax, arguing it could also allow them to directly fund public schools.

Mr Turnbull defended the announcement after criticism from a number of states, saying it had not come "out of the blue" and he was confident states would spend money "more wisely" if they directly collected it.

The Prime Minister has already suggested the states use the changes to directly fund hospitals.

This morning he told Radio National it was possible to make a "very powerful case" for the states to take over full responsibility for public school funding if they had direct access to income tax revenue

I wonder if this will also effect priva....

quote:

He said the Commonwealth would not relinquish control of funding for private and independent schools.

...oh.

• Locked thread