Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Endman posted:

Ring the bells, ring the bells!

Gimme bi-cameral legislature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Vahtooch posted:

Absolutely stunning op. Now I'll just go back to sipping lattes and not wanting to work hard, and you know, crying into said latte since I just read this.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2016/march/1456750800/richard-cooke/boomer-supremacy

Was just coming to post this

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

So Pell's latest set of sociopathic testimony totally destroys everything Devine and Bolt have been saying, right?

"I knew, I just didn't care or do anything because there was no law forcing me to" is much harder to justify to the Herald Sun readers.

You're acting like Bolt and Devine require any element of truth to back them up in order to keep vomiting bile.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I always felt like Kouk was just van badham with an economics degree.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Good riddance Joe Bullock

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hahahha he is quitting as part of a tantrum against gays

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Victoria had a big win today against the pokies in the high court. Recouping over half a billion in compensation paid to Tatts and Tabcorp for removal of licenses.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-02/high-court-rules-over-loss-of-gaming-licences-in-victoria/7212944

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

In the event that anybody in Australia ever faces the music for the concentration camps (which they won't) it will be exactly like all the Nazi trials in West Germany in the '60s: everybody in this country knew what was happening, the facts were all there, and hardly anybody cared. But the public narrative will change to the idea that it was somehow all a high-ranking conspiracy that was concealed from us.

Having widespread archiving of pretty much everything that goes on the internet makes this a lot more difficult fortunately.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

I don't think people will find denying any knowledge of it difficult at all.

I'm not saying they won't happily try to, given many people do exactly that now while its going on, but their argument loses a lot of weight when you or I can pull up the archives of major newspapers or the national broadcaster on our holo-watch and show a long list of articles detailing what went on and how it was reported in the press.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

You can do that with climate change, evolution, heliocentrism, and lots of other things. No one cares, we live in a post-modern world.

The majority of people believe in anthropogenic climate change, evolution(although support fluctuates), and heliocentrism(do you really want me to find you a link for this?).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

The majority of people will probably be willing to admit that the government did terrible things to asylum seekers too, but there will be a group of people who won't and they won't be swayed by evidence. Look what people say about the Stolen Generation, an internet archive isn't going to change their minds.

Yeah, I'm not trying to argue against the idea that some amount of people will shriek about how noone knew, I'm arguing that it's going to be harder for that to become the dominant narrative like it has wrt the holocaust(although there are growing attempts to challenge that as new studies and evidence come to light).

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 3, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

I think the DLP forgot to send him the memo.

Someone warned him about splits

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

SadisTech posted:

http://andrewelder.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/quality-control.html

Andrew Elder with a very good piece on how hosed the LNP is right now and how they need to crush Abbott for the Defense leak. Phone posting so no quote, but read this.

Waleed Aly also has a piece about the alliance of values conservatives and economic liberals finally fracturing.

quote:

Just as well Malcolm Turnbull is such a fan of disruption. Right now, he's in a world of it. This is the week Tony Abbott's wrecking, undermining and sniping campaign went nuclear, or at least marine. His incredulous intervention on the Turnbull government's alleged delay in acquiring new submarines is about as destructively disruptive as it gets, really.

Abbott has already undermined his successor on same-sex marriage (or even bullying), tax policy, industrial relations, even national security. But now even the veneer of respectful disagreement is gone. "I'm not just disappointed, I'm flabbergasted at this decision," he told The Australian, before suggesting Turnbull had compromised our "national self-respect".

He's accepted the role of disillusioned commentator on a story about a leak of classified documents. A leak, by the way, the Australian Federal Police have now seen fit to investigate. Even in the event the leak has nothing to do with him, it's a hell of a thing to dignify, and a hell of a way to do it.
Illustration: Andrew Dyson

Illustration: Andrew Dyson

And so, inevitably, come the Rudd comparisons. Now, openly from his front-bench colleagues. And sure, it's beginning to look a lot like Labor. But it's perhaps a little too easy a reference point. Rudd's white-anting was really about the fury of a Prime Minister scorned; a man seeking to right a wrong through revenge. Otherwise, it had no real content. That's why when Rudd finally retook the throne, there was no policy reason given and no obvious policy consequence.

I don't doubt Abbott's story is also one of revenge. But there's more to it than that. Abbott's sniping is actually about something. He's trying to rehabilitate not merely his reputation, but his entire brand of politics.

That's why he's constantly choosing totemic issues to agitate: even ones for which he had no appetite as Prime Minister, like industrial relations. That's why his supporters are a crew of ideological warriors and not a reluctant collection of pragmatists as in Rudd's case. And that's why it threatens to do more long-term damage to the Coalition than even the Rudd-Gillard catastrophe did to Labor.

This, I suspect, is the slow-motion disintegration of conservative politics that's bigger than Abbott, or Turnbull, or even Australia. Indeed we're seeing it most spectacularly in the United States, where, following his domination of Super Tuesday, Donald Trump is cruising towards the Republican presidential nomination.

This he has achieved despite the fact almost every Republican elder opposes him. They always have. During the last election season the Republican candidates cancelled a scheduled debate when the relevant news outlet announced Trump would be the moderator. Now, some Republican heads are spitballing ways they can use party rules to deny him the nomination even though his mandate from Republican voters is so strong.

This, too, is a party now out of control. But in truth it has been slowly spiralling out of control for years. Do you think Trump is heinous on immigration because he wants to build a wall to keep out Mexicans? So does the establishment's own Ted Cruz. Do you think Trump's declaration that climate change is a hoax makes him unworthy of office? Here's the other establishment candidate, Marco Rubio: "I do not believe that human activity is causing these dramatic changes to our climate the way these scientists are portraying it." At least he seems to believe the science is in. He just chooses not to accept it.

It's true in a sense that Trump has stolen the Republican party. But it's also true it was there for the taking. There are many reasons Trump is succeeding – anger and disillusionment among a humiliated electorate is one of them. But there's also the fact that the Republicans have been training their voters to indulge every reactionary prejudice for years. Trump simply does this better, louder, and with less varnish than his rivals. Can we be surprised when he vanquishes them? Can the Republican establishment really cry foul when he outdoes them?

And is it so different here? Well, in a way, yes. A moderate is presently in the top job and the reactionary forces aren't yet taking endorsements from former Ku Klux Klan wizards (they'll have to settle for Reclaim Australia for now). But there's an important commonality too: that the contradictions that were once holding conservative parties together, and delivering them political success, have now fallen apart. The most important of these is the contradiction between liberal economics and the politics of "values".

It's hard to be the staunch defenders of family, culture and tradition while you're also staunch advocates of things like high-skilled immigration and workplace "flexibility" of the kind WorkChoices offered. It's hard to believe the market should be free to exploit and commodify whatever consumers will tolerate – sex, culture, children – and yet pretend we are bound together by inviolable, sacred values.

Liberal economics has this habit of being, well, disruptive. Trying to mitigate that by playing the politics of culture will eventually descend into bigotry. The more the culture being defended is hollowed out, the more it can only take the form of finding symbols to rail against. That's why we've seen such an inexhaustible parade of targets: immigrants, refugees, Muslims, greenies, gays, women, blacks, Mexicans.

Every broad political movement has its contradictions. Successful ones conceal them long enough to enjoy power – and there's no doubt this neo-conservatism had its glory. But eventually, you face that moment when an earthquake turns a fault line into a canyon; when a movement's contradictions consume it. At that point it either splits, or one side becomes unleashed.

There's no easy resolution for Turnbull because the disruption is deep and determined. And there's no easy response for the Republicans who must now witness what they have unleashed.

I'm not sure I buy the dissolution of conservative politics, but I think they do need a reforming figure ala thatcher/blair to redefine their side of politics. Given the current crop it's pretty obviously not going to be anyone from Australia, so who knows where it's going to come from.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/flyers-claiming-holocaust-was-a-fraud-found-at-melbourne-uni-20160303-gnabwg.html

I see the young libs have been busy again

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

TheHeadSage posted:

Unless the young libs are into chemtrails I doubt it was them. A similar flyer was dropped at the Uni I work at and after talking about how the holocaust was a sham, it said to go to their chemtrails site for more info.

The Liberal Party is a broad church.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Zenithe posted:

I'd only heard about this in the context of it being bad, so I googled it.

:stare:

Why anyone thinks this is good and fair is beyond me. It seems entirely indefensible as a concept.

It's understandable for idiots (the electorate)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

0 day history and one dumb post likely a troll

In auspol? :monocle:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Id be pretty happy if the Vatican got stripped for parts and sold at a St VdP op shop

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Can't wait to read Aprils OP about the scourge of untermenschen on our society

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We need a final solution to the unemployment problem

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

LibertyCat posted:

So if the money was "given" (by Tax cuts etc) to working people instead, the economic effect would be exactly the same but at least it's the people that contribute to society that benefit.

If you want to maximise the economic growth created by government spending you give it to people with the least money and thus the highest marginal utility for that payment, learn some basic loving economics you idiot cretin

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Go write out "the economy is not a household budget" 500 times and come back to us

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I am declaring my intention to become a voluntarily unemployed parasite due to the trifling issue of being held up at machete and cleaver point at my job 90 minutes ago. Huff a fart catman

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Frogmanv2 posted:

That sucks man. Hope you are OK.

never trust the lumenproletariat

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Seagull posted:

did you consider the fact that maybe if the people who did that were in an even more desperate position things would've gone better maybe i don't know i've never left my house

I think you'll find the best way of reducing crime is stomping repeatedly on the poor source: i dunno common sense

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

wow, way to be fattist nikki sava

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

The whole thing is Kardashian tier trash.

this government? I agree

actually, that's unfair to the kardashians.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Cartoon posted:

I'm a little disappointed in all these so called greens supporters being willing to gratuitously pollute the sun.

The greens opposition to nuclear power is pretty well known.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

Asked "How do you know a guy likes you?," a Year 8 replied: "He still wants to talk to you after you suck him off."

:allears:

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2016/03/07/4420147.htm

Jesus Christ

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Beware the ideas of March

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/lateline/status/706729773431549952

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Secretary of the department of Australia for Australians

Recent comparisons of immigration detention centres to ‘gulags’; suggestions that detention involves a “public numbing and indifference” similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany; and persistent suggestions that detention facilities are places of ‘torture’ are highly offensive, unwarranted and plainly wrong – and yet they continue to be made in some quarters.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Graic Gabtar posted:

There simply isn't a situation that can't be summed up by a Simpson's still these days is there?

It's a strange statement to make for something that people care less and less about despite the best efforts of left leaning media to breathe life into it.

Are you saying that there is a “public numbing and indifference” similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

starkebn posted:

All you need to know is that 100% of JSAs are a complete scam that are rorting the government for every cent they can squeeze out of them.

idk, hard to say they're rorting the government when the government are happily in on it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

First principle of politics on the left you fight the Tories, not others on the left

img-expanding ironicat

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Imagine how dumb you'd have to be to be a progressive and support the australian labor party

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Looking forward to next year when Centrelink mysteriously gains access to named census data to identify people in de facto relationships who register as single.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

EvilElmo seems to have less of a grasp of the Australian electoral system than vanBadham

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh gently caress you birdstrike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I can't believe that the greens voted to murder gays and frak every farm. I am so disgusted. I know what I must do now, vote 1 shorten

• Locked thread