Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Lord of the Llamas posted:

There must be a Tinder for power mad psychopaths or something.

A puTinder, perhaps?

(h/t Richard Osman)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:eyepop:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not down to nuclear power being expensive, that's down to the particular implementations being expensive.

Is there any kind of sane justification why this country has always insisted on only building the newest shiniest most unproven reactor designs, rather than following France's lead and just picking one to get good at?

Blowfish's excellent effortpost explained why America does it, but I can't wrap my head around why we would do it too.

blowfish posted:

there would need to be an eu-wide (or possibly larger) power grid for solar/wind to be viable, and it would still need storage. natural gas is still a lot of CO2 and quickly load following natural gas is less efficient and more expensive

renewable-happy countries are currently approaching the point where you start to need storage and guess what that's where renewable rollouts are stalling

basically once you introduce another big ticket item to the bill in our lovely deregulated electricity markets stuff stops getting done again

A breakthrough in battery tech is just around the corner you guys!!!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
apparently Luton Council are partnering with a hedge-fund to build social housing as an investment opportunity. I thought it must have been PM's pre-April Fool's Day joke because if hedge funds think they can reliably make money off building houses and renting them out to poor people only a very stupid government wouldn't be building houses and renting them out. But apparently it's real so there's only one conclusion I can draw...

between that and foreign governments running our trains and buses and power plants and making money in the process even though its apparently impossible and uneconomic for ours to do it maybe they should just admit they're really poo poo at their jobs

I mean obviously they're poo poo at their jobs on purpose but they're even less likely to own up to that

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Left-wing Labour supporters in backing Labour candidate shock

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/revealed-hardleft-plot-to-back-sadiq-khan-in-bid-to-strengthen-corbyn-a3215066.html

quote:

Sadiq Khan's bid to be London Mayor was dealt a blow today as hard-Left activists admitted backing him to “strengthen” Jeremy Corbyn.

The Standard can reveal that leaders of the controversial Momentum group told activists to support the Labour candidate because defeat in London on May 5 would “undermine” his party’s leader. Tories seized on the revelation by taunting: “Vote Khan, Get Corbyn.”

The revelation is a setback to the Tooting MP’s efforts to distance himself from Mr Corbyn. His office has repeatedly insisted that “Jeremy’sname is not on the ticket” and helpers chose not to knock on doors with Mr Corbyn while campaigning in the party leader’s Islington North seat on Easter Saturday.
“We’ve got to go out and campaign for Sadiq Khan,” said Mr Lansman, who directed last year’s triumphant Corbyn leadership campaign. “Now he might have been your first choice, he might not have — I don’t know. That’s actually at this point not the point.

“The point is that there’s a choice in May between a Tory and Sadiq Khan. Who do you want to win? It’s a no-brainer. We want the Labour candidate to win and we want a candidate who’s going to ensure that Jeremy is strengthened by the London result.”

Chris Ford, the Momentum organiser in Waltham Forest who has links with Mr Corbyn’s leadership office, told the 22-strong gathering: “If we lose in London, if we get hammered in May’s elections, we’re assisting in undermining Jeremy Corbyn. We need to win.”

edit:

I mean if you think about it though ... what if Sadiq Khan has links to the leader of the Labour Party? poo poo. Mind's loving blown.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh joy I get to fill out another Work Capability Assessment form, I'm sure this will be fairly judged and I will not at all be put in the WRAG and then have to submit things a second time to emphasize that no, actually, I am not suddenly better after five+ years of disability, and that what I said in said form was true, and please can I still receive that money I need to live without having to subject myself to stresses that would drive me to suicide?

Yes, just done this myself. After not hearing from them for two years when it stopped, and living on my redundancy because I couldn't face going through the process again. Not looking forward to seeing what has changed since then.

Good luck :smith:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is there any kind of sane justification why this country has always insisted on only building the newest shiniest most unproven reactor designs, rather than following France's lead and just picking one to get good at?

Blowfish's excellent effortpost explained why America does it, but I can't wrap my head around why we would do it too.

So basically the UK built its civilian nuclear programme completely around its weapons programme, and then developed some derivatives that were not necessarily a terrible idea from the outset, and even did the exact thing you said: picking one thing (Magnoxes) and getting good at them. Then politics and privatisation happened.

If I recall correctly (I may not, so if you have a better idea feel free to correct me), the UK really wanted to build nukes, and thus developed a nuclear reactor to produce weapons grade material in. Then someone had the bright idea to actually build civilian power stations around nuclear reactors, and along with early US Naval reactors connected to the power grid instead of to a boat, the UK was an early leader in civilian nuclear power and built the Magnoxes as derivatives of the nuclear weapons project. There was at one time a healthy nuclear R&D community in the UK with people dabbling in fast reactors and reprocessing, and eventually the AGRs got built as bigger better Magnox derivatives. They're supposed to have edged out a fast breeder reactor as the then-new UK mainline power plant, so one could hate them on principle for delaying commercial scale deployment of fast breeder reactors by 50 years, but really the UK decided against the shinier less proven design here in favour of a slight improvement on existing reactors plus much less advanced fuel reprocessing. Then the UK had enough nuclear power plants to last for a few decades, things got privatised, the Soviet Union rolled over and died, and nobody wanted to spend money to replace perfectly good reactors old Magnoxes that generally worked but apparently were more expensive to operate than the competition, so rot set in with much less continuing nuclear R&D and construction (thanks LemonDrizzle for pointing out Rolls Royce still does stuff) and absolutely no building of nuclear power stations even for export since the late 1980s.

e: the current round of reactor types planned for the UK is a bunch of evolutionary developments on existing reactors as well. EPR is an improvement on French and German existing reactors (derived from both because EDF/Areva gobbled up the Siemens nuclear division after Germany started getting serious about the nuclear exit) and there are two already under construction, AP-1000 is the next attempt to standardise at least half of US nuclear based on improving existing US reactors (the last time someone tried, they got a whole three reactors in two power plants built across the country) with eight under construction, ABWR is the 20 year old reactor GE/Toshiba have already built four of in Japan, and Hualong 1 is the Chinese least common denominator after the government told the two main nuclear companies to get their poo poo together and consolidate their two models of French knockoff reactor derivative into one model of French knockoff reactor derivative.

Fun fact: the two French Surrender Reactors at Hinkley will have enough generating capacity to replace 22 of the 26 Magnoxes that are now shut down.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 31, 2016

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

J_RBG posted:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/revealed-hardleft-plot-to-back-sadiq-khan-in-bid-to-strengthen-corbyn-a3215066.html

edit:

I mean if you think about it though ... what if Sadiq Khan has links to the leader of the Labour Party? poo poo. Mind's loving blown.

I got through half a post basically saying that this is a farce of journalism before I looked again at the url and oh yeah it's the Standard, of course. A tory rag that they give away on trains. I very occasionally glance at it on the commute home and it's a tory paper to the core

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

I got through half a post basically saying that this is a farce of journalism before I looked again at the url and oh yeah it's the Standard, of course. A tory rag that they give away on trains. I very occasionally glance at it on the commute home and it's a tory paper to the core

I for one am shocked by their exclusive

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

A breakthrough in battery tech is just around the corner you guys!!!
Well we've got those things in Scotland and Wales that store a ton of energy via the high tech method of 'push heavy thing up hill'. We could use stuff like that right?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Well we've got those things in Scotland and Wales that store a ton of energy via the high tech method of 'push heavy thing up hill'. We could use stuff like that right?

That's a lot of hills, and a lot of railroad track to cart around slabs of concrete. Alternatively, that's a lot of hills and dams and artificial lakes. Based on the latest price tags of similar infrastructure in Germany, you'd end up spending like a quarter trillion pounds on dams and poo poo to make a renewable UK viable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blowfish posted:

That's a lot of hills, and a lot of railroad track to cart around slabs of concrete. Alternatively, that's a lot of hills and dams and artificial lakes. Based on the latest price tags of similar infrastructure in Germany, you'd end up spending like a quarter trillion pounds on dams and poo poo to make a renewable UK viable.

We could conceivably go full Mortal Engines meets solar powered cars, and put an entire city on wheels, drive it up a hill during the daytime with solar power, then freewheel it down the hill during the night and put the regenerative brakes on.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I love when articles assert that a serious blow has been dealt by themselves

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure that most newspapers with insiders close to the tory cabinet have dealt serious blow.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

J_RBG posted:

edit:

BREAKING NEWS: POLITICAL PARTY FULL OF PEOPLE WHO TALK TO EACH OTHER, WANT POLITICAL PARTY TO WIN ELECTIONS

blowfish posted:

Fun fact: the two French Surrender Reactors at Hinkley will have enough generating capacity to replace 22 of the 26 Magnoxes that are now shut down.

Come to think of it, this would be a pretty decent marketing tagline: Hinkley Point C- The nuclear power station that replaces ten nine other nuclear power stations.

I'd even bet the 22 Magnoxes at 10 9 sites cost a bit more than 18 billion quid after inflation.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 31, 2016

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure that most newspapers with insiders close to the tory cabinet have dealt serious blow.

:golfclap:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

We could conceivably go full Mortal Engines meets solar powered cars, and put an entire city on wheels, drive it up a hill during the daytime with solar power, then freewheel it down the hill during the night and put the regenerative brakes on.

That series was good poo poo.

I liked how 'Municipal Darwinism', the philosophy they built to justify cities literally eating other cities, was inspired by Thatcher.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

XMNN posted:

apparently Luton Council are partnering with a hedge-fund to build social housing as an investment opportunity. I thought it must have been PM's pre-April Fool's Day joke because if hedge funds think they can reliably make money off building houses and renting them out to poor people only a very stupid government wouldn't be building houses and renting them out. But apparently it's real so there's only one conclusion I can draw...

There might be another conclusion to draw - that it's only profitable for them because the risks remain nationalised. Without knowing the details, I can't help but suspect there's something stupid like guaranteed rents in the event of tenancy gaps or something like that.

Edit: After being less lazy and looking it up, it looks like there are two main advantages - the properties all have outline planning permission already and they won't be subject to the right to buy risks that would happen if they were built without the private involvement.

The return is only 3% over 20 years so, on the face of it at least, it's not the horrendous profiteering you might have expected.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 31, 2016

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

J_RBG posted:

Sadiq Khan's bid to be London Mayor was dealt a blow today as hard-Left activists admitted backing him

How can somebody write this sentence without their brain just abdicating occupancy of their skull?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They sincerely believe that having the endorsement of hard-Left activists is equivalent to a right wing candidate having the backing of the National Front or something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

They sincerely believe that having the endorsement of hard-Left activists is equivalent to a right wing candidate having the backing of the National Front or something.

To expand on this, their attitude towards Corbyn's election is roughly equivalent to what ours would be to the Conservatives electing Actual Hitler as their leader. You can see how a bunch of folks (obviously, outside the UKMT) might say that Tories only remain real Tories inasmuch as they distance themselves from their new overlord with the questionable painting skills and even more questionable taste in facial topiary.

Corbyn may be a nice old jam-making lefty grandpa, but he and what he represents are legit terrifying and alien for a significant amount of our political class.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Harryslaststand/status/715638091915124736

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When in reality the Conservative equivalent of the hard-Left who sometimes support Corbyn/Labour candidates would not be the ground floor social-right like the NF or EDL, but the penthouse economic-right like the big business investors, who already do openly support Tory candidates without many people blinking an eye.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

They're two days behind the Telegraph on that one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

When in reality the Conservative equivalent of the hard-Left who sometimes support Corbyn/Labour candidates would not be the ground floor social-right like the NF or EDL, but the penthouse economic-right like the big business investors, who already do openly support Tory candidates without many people blinking an eye.

Ya think? I can definitely see the Tories as they are being pretty vulnerable to a Trump-style insurgency from people who don't care about all that libertarian fuckery and just want to murder Muslims and gay people.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

A couple of months behind the UKMT as well. I'm sure I remember that coming up here before.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Ya think? I can definitely see the Tories as they are being pretty vulnerable to a Trump-style insurgency from people who don't care about all that libertarian fuckery and just want to murder Muslims and gay people.
Isn't that why UKIP exists? :v:

I was thinking more that the logical opposite of working class hard-left activists isn't working class social-right activists, but upper class economic-right lobbyists, who get away with far more poo poo than either of the aforementioned groups without the media panicking. Most anarchists will happily throw a brick at the former, but know that the actual enemy is the latter.

Although the unraveling around Brexit will be interesting, as it's pretty much pitting the two factions of the right against each other.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I cant see a silly blond haired clown who is a massive racist and homophobic who encourages violence against his detractors, cheats on his significant others and comes from money leading the tory party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I think most anarchists would happily brick either but the latter rarely come within bricking range.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's most unsporting, really.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brick Democracy, One Man, One Brick.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

It's pretty funny how half of Europe can't kowtow to China fast enough whenever any sort of trade deal or other agreement is on the table, despite China's economy not doing so well over the last couple of years.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

I cant see a silly blond haired clown who is a massive racist and homophobic who encourages violence against his detractors, cheats on his significant others and comes from money leading the tory party.

You're actually right, but it's only the Old Boy's Network standing between us and them. If they had primaries or similar then Boris would probably have been leader (and PM) the moment he rugby-tackled that German in that charity football match.

In fact I wondered when Trump began making his rumblings in 2012 if he or one of his handlers had taken note of The Rise Of Bozza. Trump works as hard on the The Donald persona as Johnson works on being BOZZA LEGERND, because it's actually a pretty finely-calibrated thing. Someone who genuinely had the characteristics they seem to have would be Piers Morgan or Uwe Boll, with all the success that suggests. Instead they concentrate on saying and doing things just outrageous (but appealing to their public) enough to keep their people motivated while not going so far over that they alienate them.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it to frantically pretend that we don't live in a world where those two fuckwits are even vaguely close enough to power to be worth talking about.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

It's pretty funny how half of Europe can't kowtow to China fast enough whenever any sort of trade deal or other agreement is on the table, despite China's economy not doing so well over the last couple of years.

It's been going on ever since the Chinese started to liberalise their economy in the 90s - every single political and business leader is completely blinded by the prospect of a billion new customers to ever seriously consider what they're signing up for or what it's effects will be.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're actually right, but it's only the Old Boy's Network standing between us and them. If they had primaries or similar then Boris would probably have been leader (and PM) the moment he rugby-tackled that German in that charity football match.

In fact I wondered when Trump began making his rumblings in 2012 if he or one of his handlers had taken note of The Rise Of Bozza. Trump works as hard on the The Donald persona as Johnson works on being BOZZA LEGERND, because it's actually a pretty finely-calibrated thing. Someone who genuinely had the characteristics they seem to have would be Piers Morgan or Uwe Boll, with all the success that suggests. Instead they concentrate on saying and doing things just outrageous (but appealing to their public) enough to keep their people motivated while not going so far over that they alienate them.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it to frantically pretend that we don't live in a world where those two fuckwits are even vaguely close enough to power to be worth talking about.

It may be more stochastic than you think - simply the ones that misjudge become the Clarksons, the Morgans, the Hopkins'. Go too far in a political sphere and you become a Nuttall, Bloom, Farage...get just the right note in the political sphere and you become....the ledge.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Interesting article about religious education that is, for once, not focused on Muslims.

quote:

As many as 1,000 boys from strictly Orthodox Jewish families may be pupils at a network of between 12 and 20 illegal private schools in east London.
These schools are not registered with the authorities, which makes them illegal, and they offer a narrow, religious syllabus.
The Department for Education is working with Ofsted to find and shut them.
Some of the illegal schools, however, are registered as charities, gaining them an advantaged tax status.
These private schools serve the small so-called Charedi community - a grouping that contains within it a wide variety of strictly Orthodox Jewish traditions. Hackney council estimates there are around 30,000 Charedi Jews in the borough.
Charedi parents are more likely to want a relatively mainstream education for their girls. There is demand, however, from parts of the community for a narrow education for boys, one that is largely focused on religious education and delivered in the Yiddish language.
While there are registered Charedi schools, many are unregistered because they fear being shut or made to follow a broader syllabus.
Officials from schools watchdog Ofsted and the DfE believe many of these schools offer an insufficiently broad education. Former pupils have complained of not being equipped by them to leave the Charedi community.
The education authorities have similar concerns about stricter Christian and Muslim groups. The fundamental issue is that English education has long held that parents should be able to educate their children within their faith. But that conflicts with another principle: children should be equipped to do as they wish as adults.
One ex-student of illegal Charedi schools, now in his 20s and outside the community, told Newsnight: "I'm starting to study for my GCSEs. I'm maybe like an eight-year-old, nine-year-old. That's my level of education."
For boys under the age of 13, some parents want only a few hours of secular education each week.
From interviews conducted by Newsnight with current and former community members, an hour a day of such study seems the typical amount. A former pupil told us they received "two hours a week for English and maths". The rest of the time was spent studying scripture and was taught in Yiddish.
Around the age of 13, the boys move to "yeshivas". These schools often have very long school days - lasting more than 14 hours. Pupils are exclusively taught in Yiddish and only study scripture. They are not entered for GCSEs or for other qualifications.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

winegums posted:

It may be more stochastic than you think - simply the ones that misjudge become the Clarksons, the Morgans, the Hopkins'. Go too far in a political sphere and you become a Nuttall, Bloom, Farage...get just the right note in the political sphere and you become....the ledge.
I think you're absolutely right and it's a great way of putting it. You could write a book on that sweet spot and why it's so effective. You can get a wide spread of people (mostly men) on your side who wouldn't even necessarily agree with the same politics coming from a different person.

I think you're underplaying Clarkson's skills at it though, and Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan are slightly different examples who are both playing different games for different results.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

blowfish posted:

All part of Georgie's plan for sustainable economic growth (of China).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe Gideon is the real Maoist Third-Worldist. :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Prince John posted:

Former pupils have complained of not being equipped by them to leave the Charedi community. 

As if that's not the entire point.

• Locked thread