Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Coohoolin posted:

Dredd didn't manage to piss off MRAs as much as Mad Max did and is therefore the inferior film.

I liked force awakens better than Mad Max. Probably because I didn't get to see Mad Max in the cinema.

And TFA is an awesome way to see how many people secretly believe women can't do what men can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Helen Highwater posted:

What the gently caress is this?

Clean For the Queen.

'Hey proles, you don't have jobs and the people who were formerly employed keeping your streets clean have all been rendered down into trace elements but could you do their work for free Her Maj? Did I hit my head and wake up in an alternate timeline where the feudal system was somehow still a thing in TYOOL 2016?

There's only 2 in Windsor (well, 0 in Windsor, 2 in Eton) and none in Maidenhead. You'd think that "Clean for the Queen" would actually try to do something actually NEAR the Queen!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She has people for that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I might see if I can get one going in West Belfast. :laugh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Willie the Third try that?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

StoneOfShame posted:

Wasn't that largely because the MRAs weren't as vocally active then, they've always been about but the noise they generate has shot up over the last year. I do remember there some MRAs getting pissed off about Dredd.

I don't know, I was being tongue in cheek and couldn't be arsed finding the right emoticon to express that. I suspect that Tesseraction is correct though and Dredd came out before gamergate, IIRC.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Coohoolin posted:

I don't know, I was being tongue in cheek and couldn't be arsed finding the right emoticon to express that. I suspect that Tesseraction is correct though and Dredd came out before gamergate, IIRC.

Dredd's much much more obscure. Unsurprisingly that's important.

Taear posted:

I liked force awakens better than Mad Max. Probably because I didn't get to see Mad Max in the cinema.
Nah it's because you like a bad film better than a great one :v:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Mad Max was great and The Force Awakens was great. I'm a huge Star Wars geek though so if you ask me to pick one I'll have to go with my nostalgia values.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nah it's because you like a bad film better than a great one :v:

Didn't have enough rowing. More rowing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Taear posted:

What an odd thing to want in a Mad Max film, but there's no accounting for taste.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Dredd 2: Balls?

Dredd is an excellent film, but Mad Max is a level beyond simply because of how much it accomplishes with so little dialogue. Miller's a miracle worker.

By modern standards it's incredibly analog; which I love.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ookiimarukochan posted:

There's only 2 in Windsor (well, 0 in Windsor, 2 in Eton) and none in Maidenhead. You'd think that "Clean for the Queen" would actually try to do something actually NEAR the Queen!

"Clean for the Queen" actually means "clean your own streets, plebs, we're cutting local funding" and I'm pretty sure the closer you get to Windsor the less that applies

Taear posted:

It was all rowing?? :confused:

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Ben Hur had good rowing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Renaissance Robot posted:

What on earth is there in Dredd for MRAs to get mad about? :psyduck:

And don't say "women"

Anderson isn't dominated by her attempted rapist, then psychically beats him up and also at one point saves Dredd's life. As a woman she was not supposed to do any of this. Also leader of the block gang is a woman who doesn't tolerate men being fuckshits even if she is a criminal.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Taear posted:

And TFA is an awesome way to see how many people secretly believe women can't do what men can do.

Its really interesting that its impossible to discuss the pink elephant about star wars without it causing a massive argument.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is the pink elephant about star wars that it is really bad?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Regarde Aduck posted:

Anderson isn't dominated by her attempted rapist, then psychically beats him up and also at one point saves Dredd's life. As a woman she was not supposed to do any of this. Also leader of the block gang is a woman who doesn't tolerate men being fuckshits even if she is a criminal.

Yeah, that and the stuff in the link keg posted all faded into the background for me, which is really good I guess? Because those things shouldn't be controversial at all, and it's great that there's at least one more film that just gets on with being Correct without trying to make a big deal out of it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

serious gaylord posted:

pink elephant about star wars

what

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Dredd 2: Balls?

Dredd is an excellent film, but Mad Max is a level beyond simply because of how much it accomplishes with so little dialogue. Miller's a miracle worker.

As opposed to all the wordy exposition in Dredd?

StoneOfShame posted:

Lol at the comments on the article Keg posted, 'Dredd is egalitarian not feminist as it doesn't put one sex over the other.'

:negative:

For what it's worth I think both Dredd and Mad Max are great films that treat male and female characters with respect (when they aren't being burned alive or blown into chunks, obv). I can't really see how either could be said to artificially push an agenda in doing so, it's just correct thinking that doesn't jar in either.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 1, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

I didn't think was controversial to say that star wars is unabashed pulp scifi, and is only regarded as classic because it did a lot of things first?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It kept doing them though. It might have been a lot easier to enjoy it decades later on in the fashion of Flash Gordon if it had stopped after one. Which was IV because reasons.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 1, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kegluneq posted:

As opposed to all the wordy exposition in Dredd?

Well, yeah, in comparison.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Sadly, very few people criticised TFA without resorting to the phrase "little white cuckball". :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well yeah, in any discussion about why the franchise is bad, one of the reasons has to be the badness of the fandom. :v:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TinTower posted:

Sadly, very few people criticised TFA without resorting to the phrase "little white cuckball". :v:

I did. It was about an hour too long and full of tedious "what is this pointless former hero doing with their twilight years" tedium and hugely unsubtle and groanworthy nods to previous films for the fans. There was a half decent space and lasers film in there somewhere, but I think it needed to not be A Star Wars Film for it to get out.

e: I mean I get it, Disney paid a lot of money for the rights to a franchise that is driven almost entirely by nostalgia so they were obviously going to cater to their horrible fanbase. And it is probably the best film in the series, for what that's worth. But it felt pretty disappointing to me because it could have been considerably better.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 1, 2016

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think the new Star Wars is a bad film, just like the old Star Wars which are all bad films.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I liked the bit where the storm trooper had an electric tonfa. That was pretty cool.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Who's worse - Trump or Cameron?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

shrike82 posted:

Who's worse - Drumpf or Cameron?

Your posting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was gonna post that but then you posted.

And it's your posting.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Looks like Hinkley Point C nuclear reactor is facing further delays, likely at least a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-35689784

And also on the FT (paywall so not linking also phone posting)

Some of the directors (who are also part of some of the unions) are objecting to going ahead. Looks like it's a mixture of worries about debt levels (and potential credit rating downgrades) and several projects using the same design already overrunning and over budget. Edf is trying to get extra partners involved with the financing.

At this point EdF have bugger all credibility on this.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the new Star Wars is a bad film, just like the old Star Wars which are all bad films.

None of them are great, really, but the first film is a serious case of "you had to be there, man".

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

I did. It was about an hour too long and full of tedious "what is this pointless former hero doing with their twilight years" tedium and hugely unsubtle and groanworthy nods to previous films for the fans. There was a half decent space and lasers film in there somewhere, but I think it needed to not be A Star Wars Film for it to get out.

It was a :mediocre: film, but it did the job of removing the bad taste the prequals left for most fans.

It's cleared the ground for the ones that are being made next

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Renfield posted:

It was a :mediocre: film, but it did the job of removing the bad taste the prequals left for most fans.

It's cleared the ground for the ones that are being made next

So the Jeremy Corbyn of the series then.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Renfield posted:

The prequels were bad, but they were bad trying to tell a different story. Admittedly most fans just want the same ideas regurgitated again and again (see: the books and the myriad superweapons) but a Star Wars film every year for the next millennium is not likely to produce anything than mediocre pap.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Milotic posted:

So the Jeremy Corbyn of the series then.

Corbyn is gonna be pm

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I seem to be very much in a minority at SA for thinking that Mad Max was "okay, I guess".

Dredd was great, though. :commissar:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

I seem to be very much in a minority at SA

In general, it was exceptionally well received.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Just rediscovered this wee gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K13m3HlFwjw

quote:

Who’ll take the ball from Maggie Thatcher? Kick it in another goal!
Cause there’s plenty time for playing football, when you’re living on the dole

There’s a team in the south they call the tories,
for years they have led division 1,
in the face of heavy competition,
they haven’t lost their winning run
Although they’ve dropped some midfield men fer Scotland,
It hasnae upset their strategies
cause the punters showed a healthy rate of interest,
when they buy shares in their companies

Now the tories beat the opposition,
the opposition didnae show much sense,
cause they mainly play the ball up tae the left wing,
and they can be suspect in defence
And they had a bit o trouble with their strikers,
who thought they should have a bigger fee
and they chased away a lot of their supporters,
when they showed a militant tendancy

There’s a sad side facing relegation,
though the top of the league had been their dream,
they tried almost every combination
even transfers fae another team,
they even took the field and played two captains,
who thought they were really on the ball,
just to find when they heard the final whistle,
they had only gone an ballsed it all

Who’ll take the ball from Maggie thatcher? Kick it in another goal!

They’s a cry for the terraces of Hamden,
when they show the re-run of the game,
if the Scots had played some different tactics,
the result may not have been the same
The tories say they put the great back in great Britain,
if that helps us we’ll have to wait and see
but they might have put the Scot back into Scotland,
if Scotland had supported SNP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

None of them are great, really, but the first film is a serious case of "you had to be there, man".

I can imagine the special effects being mindblowing in the 70s, but really when it comes to the plot, the universe, the characters etc there's just very little to like. The story is boring oversimplified good vs evil bullcrap, and the characters just had zero depth or were just caricatures, especially the antagonists. 'I'm the emperor. I'm evil! Why? Because I just am don't ask! Watch me shoot lightning!'. Some people talk about how great the world building is but it always seemed fairly shallow to me but I never bothered with the extended universe stuff so maybe it's all in that. In any case I seriously don't understand grown rear end 40 year old fanboys who obsess over the franchise and buy expensive collectibles and all that, and I am a massive, massive nerd for other things.

• Locked thread