Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

TinTower posted:

Well, yeah. Tangerine was superior in every way and got totally snubbed. :colbert:

Relevant video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDufjtIr1M

Tangerine was good but it wasn't that good, it was better than The Danish Girl but that was a massive piece of poo poo. The best film of last year was either The Look of Silence or Inside Out, the former didn't even win documentary which is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Those are weird ways of spelling Mad Max Fury Road.

I really enjoyed Mad Max, I really did but not ad much as everyone else for some reason, I mean its been pushed as like the greatest action movie of recent years but for my money its nowhere near as good as Dredd was. On the subject of Dredd looks like the Snooper's charter is going to allow the police to hack phones!!! This government will implement the Judge system wont they.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

Dredd didn't manage to piss off MRAs as much as Mad Max did and is therefore the inferior film.

Wasn't that largely because the MRAs weren't as vocally active then, they've always been about but the noise they generate has shot up over the last year. I do remember there some MRAs getting pissed off about Dredd.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Lol at the comments on the article Keg posted, 'Dredd is egalitarian not feminist as it doesn't put one sex over the other.'

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nothing can match the absurdity that is Kit Fisto

Wrong. When making The Force Unleashed the developers as Lucas for a Darth name for Starkiller, he offered them Darth Icky or Darth Insanious they decided against having one http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...PostPageIndex=2

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Rugby was mandatory in my school until like year 10 for winter games, we were a rugby school, I never played football but their was rugby in winter and cricket in summer. I wasn't interested in sport then and thus just stood on the sides in the bottom team, now I wish I would have cared then and played them more because I love rugby and cricket and would love to be able to play competently in a little Sunday side.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Rakosi posted:

It's where you loving insisted I was responsible for the deaths of children, and you loving did, don't even try convolute some "collective responsibility" bullshit. You said that I am responsible for the deaths of children in mines, and I called you on it, and you still kept on defending your point, and the whole argument has spun on that axis. You tried to introduce "collective, not individual, responsibility" at a later time in a hosed up effort to backtrack, but then still later came out to defend the original point..

It wasn't an effort to backtrack it was pretty obvious collective responsibility was meant from the start, I have basic critical faculties and was thus aware of this.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

£70 for 30 min work, dude. I get paid less than that for an eight hour day.

Is that how much a prostitute is? I couldn't even guess a ballpark figure. I guess you're assuming that they get to keep the money and it isn't all taken by some pimp though.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

So are there many issues with the current legal status of prostitution in Britain is the problem with solicitation being illegal as it gives the police a good excuse to harass prostitutes? Also if brothels are illegal how the gently caress are there 3 that immediately spring to mind that are pretty blatant about advertising themselves as such in the parts of Birmingham I tend to travel through?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

How would the Nordic model stop people saying they were just paying for company or would it just be rules lawyered out before it got to do anything an top of it making sex worker's lives more dangerous?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Same reason that there's whole streets that smell of weed when I travel through West Leicester. It's one of the things that the police don't really care about except when they can do a big raid to shame some hos/druggies in the local paper, so all the poorly enforced laws achieve is making life more dangerous for the workers because they can't go to the police if they get beaten and raped or robbed.

But if prostitution is currently legal then prostitutes in theory could go to the police regarding things like that but for whatever reason they dont (perhaps because the police would actually try and do them for solicitation). I would assume with situations where women are being controlled by a pimp they aren't not going to the police because they are worried about being prosecuted, I assume it would be more fear of being killed. I think we sometimes need to remember that there are effectively two classes of prostitute the ones who are doing it by choice and earning good money and massively exploited women who probably never see a penny they earn. What the latter need in terms of help is not so much changes in law but effective policing that deals with the people exploiting them (then obviously not sending them straight back to Romania).

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

PiCroft posted:

How the gently caress did such animals become war mounts if they die of fright so easily?

The aforementioned stupid accessories that stop them scaring themselves to death.

Edit:Horse post is one of my favourites what was its context.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Forget moderates like the DUP if you want lunatics you gotta go full TUV.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

A human being posted this

I first encountered this managing a small shop in Belfast and it completely threw what I thought about the world off. There are some people who are so ill educated and to be brutally honest thick that they will believe the most absurd things. We hired this girl from a proper rough protestant estate who actually believed that the Irish potato famine happened because the Irish were far too picky eaters to eat anything but potatoes and starved to death ignore other foods. I relayed this to my not thick mate who was from a rough Catholic estate in Omagh and he, completely unsurprised said that at school it had been taught to him that the famine because English lords had run around taking all the alternative foods off the Irish personally, as in the lord had been taking the food in front of the starving Irish whilst laughing malevolently. He was luckily smart enough to dismiss that as nonsense. In short there's a lot of dumb people and realising what they actually believe is massively depressing.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Ludicro posted:

You'd think they'd have learned after endorsing noted outspoken heavyweight MP Yvette Cooper.

Errr Jess Phillips isn't a whole lot like Yvette Cooper, for one Jess Phillips is pretty loving outspoken and has no problem calling people on their poo poo, I thought she was pretty decent at first but she's slowly started showing some idiotic views. The Graun and others are really beginning to push her as a future leader though.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

What are Jess Phillips' idiotic views, other than her view on sex workers and wanting to stab Corbyn? She rubs me up the wrong way and I'd like a riposte to her supporters beyond her endless complaining about people being mean on Twitter.

To be fair those are the main ones and she's not even really that bad on the stabbing Corbyn front she's not one actively plotting against him she just doesn't seem to feel the need to keep criticisms to herself because she is well pretty outspoken, I guess that's why she rubs people up the wrong way, when she compared the Cologne sex attacks to Broad Street in Birmingham she was in a way correct but not putting it in a way that went across well. Her complaints aren't as much people being on twitter as they are rape threats too. Thinking about it I was being slightly unfair not pointing that she is one of the better ones amongst Labour but not near the best. There was a great story about her Dianne Abbott arguing over whether Corbyn's cabinet has enough women and Jess Phillips told her to gently caress off, when asked how Abbott responded Phillips said 'well she hosed off'.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Rowing is cool and good all sports are not posh by definition even if some posh people do them. Except of course hunting, jousting and the Eton wall game.

Phoon posted:

I've been keeping an eye on her since tbe election but I have no idea what her policy positions are, she seems to mainly react to things - often in unhelpfully aggressive or patronising ways which the media then present as her being tough

e: she reminds me of Prescott if anything

She's big on domestic abuse, women's rights etc as she used to work at a few women's charities, she does often come across as very aggressive and for want of a better word mouthy, these aren't necessarily bad qualities if used properly I mean Tom Watson has been aggressive and mouthy to great effect but its about knowing when not to run around shouting at people. How long until she says something really aggressive at someone and the Guardian does a piece about how all her critics are just intimidated by strong women?

Edit: She is a million times better than her predecessor Hemming who is a massive oval office.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Extreme0 posted:

She may be presented as tough but is there anything about her that has shown her to not being so tough when under pressure or when someone touched a nerve of hers.

She came across as pretty tough with the whole rape threats thing. Her views on sex work are surprising as well considering how much work she has done with sex workers, she set up Birmingham's first centre for trafficked women as far as I know. It may be the case that because she's seen the worst case treatment of sex workers she wants to just try and get rid of it and is being very misguided about how to go about it.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Since I actually know her I'll chime in.

She's a fairly shameless self promoter and money is massively important to her. She employs her husband as her office manager on 40k a year, and was parachuted in as parliamentary candidate with some dubious goings on.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-mp-jess-phillips-employs-9565645

She stayed on as councillor for Longbridge, a ward nowhere near Yardley after being elected, simply not attending the council meetings while still claiming the 12k salary for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Phillips_(politician)

She has a tendency to tell people what they want to hear, and routinely tells people different things.

She was a PR person for a domestic violence charity, she never ran anything. Business Development Managers are essentially PRs/Fundraisers, I have to deal with enough of them from colleges.

Her mother was a director in the NHS, and her early career was running an events company that worked for the NHS.

She is a little like Danzcuk, in that she is well aware that criticising Jeremy Corbyn will get her in the paper, and some of those stories will involve payment. Danzcuk was paid £40k for media appearances and articles.

She isn't quite a Blairite, but given Corbynism has a huge streak of activist reaction against careerism and cronyism it isn't something that she likes.

Yardley Ward doesn't have ward meetings, and while that arrangement predated her, and is part of the rot in Birmingham Labour Party (Ladywood ward hasn't had a ward meeting this century), she isn't in favour of changing that, since all she would have to say is 'let's have a ward meeting.'

Cheers for that so she's not really one of the good ones then I was only trying to discern what I could from interviews, I've never met her as I moved out of Yardley when Hemming was still in. Birmingham Labour is pretty poo poo and corrupt. So how many actually good Labour MPs are there is it just Skinner, Corbyn, McDonnell and Watson.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Spangly A posted:

all the bankers I know are coke abusing alcoholics with serious personal issues and not one of them trained in finance or econ, it's the strangest industry

This is unfair on coke abusing alcoholics many of my best friends are coke abusing alcoholics and none of them are loving bankers.

Edit: 1033, people in Europe go nuts thinking the world was going to end as there was crap weather in Spring and it was 1000 years since the supposed crucifixion of Christ.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 7, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

So try and think of the biggest twat possible who could consider running for Mayor of London, think you've got it? Well unless you went Morrissey you were wrong. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35744837

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Oh Morrissey, if only you stuck to only opening your mouth while singing.

Naw he can stop loving doing that to.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

There is no international women's day music better than War on Women.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Just watching the Daily Politics and apparently one of the female tory ministers campaigning to leave the EU has said she is part of the same struggle as the suffragettes what the actual gently caress.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Lol The Daily Politics referring to Hamilton as the comeback kid because he is standing for UKIP in Wales being in a completely unelectable position is hardly a comeback.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

It nearly happened because Osborne needs higher tax revenues to hit his surplus target, and the current system of pension tax relief is a lot more expensive to the Treasury than that would be, as well as being a lot more regressive.

UKIP are very likely to win a bunch of Welsh list seats, so Hamilton will almost certainly become an AM unless there's a huge backlash from transparently parachuting candidates in like this.

It surprises me that UKIP would win seats in Wales, I thought they were massively pro-Europe. Its not as parachutey as you would think though he is Welsh and he has campaigned for more promotion of the Welsh language etc, he's still a complete poo poo.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Have these posters read Heidegger and do they acknowledge his importance as one of the 20th centuries most important thinkers.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Hitler was an important postcard painter in some niche areas too. His people and vegetation were nothing to write home about, but his buildings were excellent, and provide a record of some important historical buildings of Bavaria.

Still wouldn't begrudge Ober calling him a nazi oval office though.

Its more about dismissing the argument for ad hominem reasons rather that not calling him a nazi also. You cant really compare Hitler's contribution to paintings to Heidegger's to philosophy either can you? I honestly dont know I've always assumed his painting was of little value even as a historical record and I cant tell if you're being sarcastic.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

All opioids and opiates cause constipation in my experience.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

is that the one who baked to death in his car or the one who died in a cinema while watching a children's movie or something

Probably the latter, iirc the car one was the guy selling DA JOOSE and his wife showed up to tell the forum he was dead and goons freaked out wondering if they would get their joose still, then she tried to get get goons to help her commit insurance fraud.

Guavanaut posted:

I bet you could make meth from sudafed with your failed A level chemistry too. It's more useful having a costive that's milder than Imodium (or a decongestant that actually works) than the harms of someone obtaining a relatively trivial amount of a controlled drug.

If you go to the same chemists each day claiming your 20 children all have blocked noses and diarrhea then they will quickly refuse to serve you.

Making meth is in principle a piece of piss but its also really easy to blow yourself up if you dont know exactly what you're doing. I know a guy who did I never got any so dont know if it was decent, he was a moron so i suspect not.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Also hard to do discreetly unless, for example, you can put your lab into an RV and drive it into the middle of a giant desert (of which we're a bit short over here).

(did your friend have a slightly nebbishy-looking middle aged friend with a cool hat by any chance?)

No, he looks like and is a junkie punk with one long black dread and the rest of his hair short, a look I have never understood but know lots of people with.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Imagine a naked George Osborne coming towards ye, his wee nubbin flappin in the breeze, unable to get hard cos of the massive pile of coke he's just inhaled, demanding to be spanked because he's been a naughty boy.

You can get hard on reasonably pure coke and I guess George gets banging flake. Speed on the other hand....

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Pantsuit posted:

Surprised Stoke of all places is leaning Europhile. During the general election there was a 'UKIP House'. As in a house covered in UKIP decorations. :gonk:

Obviously thats due to sampling and that...

Pfft its nothing compared to the house in the Billesley area of Birmingham that is literally covered in St George's Crosses, they used to wheel the owners out on the local news on St George's Day to talk about their patriotism but stopped after having to cut them off a few times for going full racist.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Just gonna leave this here
https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/707336073567985664

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

Sturgeon wanted a clause where UK only leaves if all four countries vote to leave. Obviously it was shot down. The question now is if Scotland votes to stay and gets dragged out anyway they'll look to trigger a second indyref.

C'mon now she said she wanted it but doesn't she wants the UK to pull out so she can get a second referendum, its entirely ideological to nationalists. NI is the big lovely one because leaving the EU would be really bad for them but leaving the UK would be worse.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Gideon is off his tits.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

He looks particularly bad today.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

I love the queen

You're first up against the wall.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Phoon posted:

Peter Jukes seems to think the right wing press are holding back some dirt on the tories as a threat to keep them from implementing leveson

Does he have any evidence? Not that I wouldn't believe it but would like some proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

I actually like the shops not being open on Sunday, I think we gain something from a day when we're limited in our ability to be rampant consumers.

• Locked thread