Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

no cost to me was my wife trying to run her business with no computer for over a week, relying on icloud which had not managed to save the latest version of her spreadsheets etc and losing that work

and it would have been nice to have the laptop back to where it was but now I have to spend all that time setting up emails n poo poo again

like I said. I expect to pour time and energy into a windows machine. I expect this mac to do the hard work for me

and thanks to the lovely shop I have to take the computer back to get fixed AGAIN coz osx is a bitch about serial numbers

the repair cost of this laptop terrifies me for owning it for much longer as its likely it'll break again in a month I guess

sounds like you need to upgrade to windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

I dunno your time actually does seem pretty worthless

Excuse me? A father, a husband, and a good man's time is nether worthless.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

Excuse me? A father, a husband, and a good man's time is nether worthless.

between trying to hook up with teenagers on kik/snapchat and his 3d rendering work, im not sure where he fits in time to be a father or a husband

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
pcs aren't the computers sold at a premium under the promise you'll never ever have a problem ever!! then when a problem does occur it's obviously your fault

if i'm going to have to janitor my computer i might as well stay on windows

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

between trying to hook up with teenagers on kik/snapchat and his 3d rendering work, im not sure where he fits in time to be a father or a husband

He's epic, talented, a great poster, and hell - I hope he will agree, my friend.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

He's epic, talented, a great poster, and hell - I hope he will agree, my friend.

i give him poo poo because i :h: him so much

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
shucks guys :unsmith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

because PCs never have hardware failures, and PC manufacturers are just so good :jerkbag: about repairing them when they do.

but i'm sorry you had to endure the hardship of typing in e-mail passwords and other such things. if only there was some sort of automatic backup system built in to the operating system that could've prevented this...

edit: the repair center not flashing your mac's serial # on the new mobo is also somehow OS X's fault, got it.

its osxs fault for being a little bitch about it

and the automatic backup system should work like my iphone. this is 2016. it should happen automatically. last time I check automatically didn't manually

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

more than friends, my good mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lets face it - the mac life is a life fraught with burden and despair

encouraging others to own and run a mac is like when obese people encourage you to eat more cake

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

its osxs fault for being a little bitch about it

and the automatic backup system should work like my iphone. this is 2016. it should happen automatically. last time I check automatically didn't manually

I was talking about Time Machine, which is pretty automatic. "Do you want to use this external HD for time machine backups?" and if you click Yes then you get 100% automatic versioned backups from there.

iCloud is fine for backing up your photos or your phone or whatever, but it's not really the same thing. you can save your documents to it if you want to. idk if iCloud backs up your settings etc on OS X like it does with iOS. and if Apple is gonna be so stingy with online backup space that they charge for more than 5GB, I can't imagine them providing enough space to backup your entire computer.

the serial # thing is b/c companies were selling hackintoshes and Apple wasn't having any of that. still 1000x better than Windows' "oh hai I see u upgraded ur ram, since ur computer is different now we're gonna make you call Microsoft to verify you aren't using a pirated copy of Windows"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the entirety of the data on the mac could live in 5gb i wish it did that

time machines are like 4 thousand dollars

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
on what planet is an external hard drive $4000 dollars, even in NZ money?

also just save all the documents to icloud if they'll all fit in 5GB, jfc

"iCloud drive, what's that?"
-echopenis, 2016

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
if ur still having this problem the answer is you need to delete you apple id cache which is somewhere that i can't remember

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
reset the pram duh

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

the entirety of the data on the mac could live in 5gb i wish it did that

time machines are like 4 thousand dollars

jfc "I do know what a $50 hard drive is"

go back to Windows. you deserve each other

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Welcome to Mac op. You got the owned.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I actually like you and you are posts echi, you're one of my favorite posters during my mostly lurking but

shitface posted:

counterpoint: you're too stupid to use a mac

😑

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mac is only no janitoring required if you live in the US and also mail your MacBook in to the factory every time an error dialogue pops up

At least Windows and Linux errors usually can be solved by the user

burning swine
May 26, 2004

if this were a dell a guy would have come to your house to fix it

just sayin

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

my wife;s etsy business of selling hand-crafted nz-shaped dildos pen tested on me own bum was disrupted

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My computer is really nice and it works well all the time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if its a mac, it sounds like you got lucky

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

if its a mac, it sounds like you got lucky

I've had two macs over the course of 9 years. over that time I've upgraded (not reinstalled) OS X from 10.4 to to 10.11 using a single user account which I've never recreated or janitored in any way. I've had two technical issues over that time. one was a matSHITa superdrive in the iMac which really lived up to its manufacturer name and the other was a couple of days of instability caused by a gently caress up in the vmware kernel extension which meant i had to remove it for a couple of days until vmware updated.

honestly echi it sounds like you're just bad at computers

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

This is loving amazing. GOLDMINE! GOLDMINE MOTHERFUCKERS! YOSPOS BITCH!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

shitface posted:

I've had two macs over the course of 9 years. over that time I've upgraded (not reinstalled) OS X from 10.4 to to 10.11 using a single user account which I've never recreated or janitored in any way. I've had two technical issues over that time. one was a matSHITa superdrive in the iMac which really lived up to its manufacturer name and the other was a couple of days of instability caused by a gently caress up in the vmware kernel extension which meant i had to remove it for a couple of days until vmware updated.

seriously. on my iMac I'm using the same user account that I've had since 2009.

that is, the user account I first created on the Mac mini running OS X 10.5 that I bought in 2009 has been flawlessly transferred via time machine to a newer mac, which has been continually upgraded to the latest OS without a reinstall, all without any problems.

I didn't know you could be bad at using macs, but somehow echi is...

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 1, 2016

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Smythe posted:

This is loving amazing. GOLDMINE! GOLDMINE MOTHERFUCKERS! YOSPOS BITCH!

:kiddo:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i have 2 apple accounts because i made one and i guess forgot about it and then made another. so now i have some music and stuff on one, and also some music and stuff on the other. it's a pain in the rear end.

quote:

"Apple IDs cannot be merged. You should use your preferred Apple ID from now on, but you can still access your purchased items such as music, movies, or software using your other Apple IDs. If you are wondering how using multiple Apple IDs relate to iCloud, see Apple IDs and iCloud."

gently caress YOU apple!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shitface posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mother fuckers thinking this poo poo is my fault

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

he hardware broke. how the hell is this my fault or me being bad? and sorry I assumed iCloud would do what it did on all my other apple devices, coz my Mac sure as hell didn't tell me it wouldn't be the Anawer to all my problems

tell me.. can I back it up automatically to a network share

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

it is, or at least used to be, possible to back up to a generic network share, even a windows/smb/cifs one - with some unsupported fiddling but the only supported network backup medium and the only one one that will work easily is time capsule. so, since you asked

echinopsis posted:

the answer is no. attach a hard drive and use time machine you technologically challenged but lovable motherfucker

e: unless you buy a time capsule. but you'll probably buy an antique one for 10,000 dollars or something so don't

shitface fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 2, 2016

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so as usual the answer is to spend more money, rather than use something I already have

if I have to physically attach a drive in 2016 I probably won't bother coz I won't remember to do it often enough to make it worth it

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

so as usual the answer is to spend more money, rather than use something I already have

if I have to physically attach a drive in 2016 I probably won't bother coz I won't remember to do it often enough to make it worth it

it's a pain the arse to get a remote backup without a time capsule working, involving creating a sparse bundle, loving with permissions then running some terminal command with literally includes the words "enable unsupported volume" somewhere in it. if you really want to try it you can google it but it will only end in further tears

i wasn't always good at computers either and i remember having great luck with one of these

seriously though just buy a loving $50 hard drive for your $1500 computer and, presumably, >$1500 worth of time/work/treasured memories because i'm pretty sure where you're on our death bed and you look over to your great grandkids that your last words won't be, "I wish I hadn't spent $50 on keeping those pictures of you little fuckers"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao i would never trust this mac with precious stuff like family photos

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

lmao i would never trust this mac with precious stuff like family photos

then just sell it, get almost all of your money back and pimp out some winders 10 monster rig

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this laptop is for my wife to manage her/our business. it's mostly emails and a few power pints and spreadsheets. anything of value should be on iCloud but didn't work so smoothly so I will investigate why it didn't seem to have saved the most recent things

if the functionality to save the setup rather than a backup to the cloud doesn't exist I'll just go home disappointment rather than with a silly setup of plugging in an external and backing up manually like some kind of pidgeon

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

this laptop is for my wife to manage her/our business. it's mostly emails and a few power pints and spreadsheets. anything of value should be on iCloud but didn't work so smoothly so I will investigate why it didn't seem to have saved the most recent things

if the functionality to save the setup rather than a backup to the cloud doesn't exist I'll just go home disappointment rather than with a silly setup of plugging in an external and backing up manually like some kind of pidgeon

icloud backups on ios will randomly stop working without telling you. idk how it works in osx but its probably the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

this laptop is for my wife to manage her/our business

sell the ice, keep the laptop

echinopsis posted:

rather than with a silly setup of plugging in an external and backing up manually

the back up part is automatic. does your wife happen to plug in a usb printer or other peripheral semi-regularly? if so attach that/those to a cheapo hub along with an hd and every time she plugs in it will back up automatically.

• Locked thread