Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shitface
Nov 23, 2006

counterpoint: you're too stupid to use a mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

while you're down at the shop erasing your incompetence your wife will be banging a dude who can use a mac

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

it's me!

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

the entirety of the data on the mac could live in 5gb i wish it did that

time machines are like 4 thousand dollars

jfc "I do know what a $50 hard drive is"

go back to Windows. you deserve each other

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I actually like you and you are posts echi, you're one of my favorite posters during my mostly lurking but

shitface posted:

counterpoint: you're too stupid to use a mac

😑

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

if its a mac, it sounds like you got lucky

I've had two macs over the course of 9 years. over that time I've upgraded (not reinstalled) OS X from 10.4 to to 10.11 using a single user account which I've never recreated or janitored in any way. I've had two technical issues over that time. one was a matSHITa superdrive in the iMac which really lived up to its manufacturer name and the other was a couple of days of instability caused by a gently caress up in the vmware kernel extension which meant i had to remove it for a couple of days until vmware updated.

honestly echi it sounds like you're just bad at computers

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Smythe posted:

This is loving amazing. GOLDMINE! GOLDMINE MOTHERFUCKERS! YOSPOS BITCH!

:kiddo:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

tell me.. can I back it up automatically to a network share

it is, or at least used to be, possible to back up to a generic network share, even a windows/smb/cifs one - with some unsupported fiddling but the only supported network backup medium and the only one one that will work easily is time capsule. so, since you asked

echinopsis posted:

tell me.. can I back it up automatically to a network share

the answer is no. attach a hard drive and use time machine you technologically challenged but lovable motherfucker

e: unless you buy a time capsule. but you'll probably buy an antique one for 10,000 dollars or something so don't

shitface fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 2, 2016

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

so as usual the answer is to spend more money, rather than use something I already have

if I have to physically attach a drive in 2016 I probably won't bother coz I won't remember to do it often enough to make it worth it

it's a pain the arse to get a remote backup without a time capsule working, involving creating a sparse bundle, loving with permissions then running some terminal command with literally includes the words "enable unsupported volume" somewhere in it. if you really want to try it you can google it but it will only end in further tears

i wasn't always good at computers either and i remember having great luck with one of these

seriously though just buy a loving $50 hard drive for your $1500 computer and, presumably, >$1500 worth of time/work/treasured memories because i'm pretty sure where you're on our death bed and you look over to your great grandkids that your last words won't be, "I wish I hadn't spent $50 on keeping those pictures of you little fuckers"

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

lmao i would never trust this mac with precious stuff like family photos

then just sell it, get almost all of your money back and pimp out some winders 10 monster rig

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

this laptop is for my wife to manage her/our business

sell the ice, keep the laptop

echinopsis posted:

rather than with a silly setup of plugging in an external and backing up manually

the back up part is automatic. does your wife happen to plug in a usb printer or other peripheral semi-regularly? if so attach that/those to a cheapo hub along with an hd and every time she plugs in it will back up automatically.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Shaggar posted:

icloud backups on ios will randomly stop working without telling you. idk how it works in osx but its probably the same.

much like my mac i've been carrying the same profile/backup since 2008. no clean-reinstalls. during that time i've jailbroken and run pre-release iOS releases and i've still never had an issue

you're holding it wrong

shitface fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 2, 2016

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Shaggar posted:

nope. its bad software from a bad company and its one reason I don't use ios anymore.

my mum doesn't always remember her partner of 15 years or husband of 40 years but she can still use iOS and Macs better than you can

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

maybe when her alzheimers finally causes her to forget me she'll get to shaggier/echi levels of incompetence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Shaggar posted:

her backups probably haven't run in years. you should check it for her

flawlessly every time she turns on the mac or plugs in her iPhone or iPad

• Locked thread