Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So there was a rare defect of some kind, Apple repaired it at no cost to you, and you
a)Blame OS X for what seems to have been a hardware problem
b)Complain about Apple giving you back your original computer so that you don't have to backup and reinstall all your files or wait for them to do it for you

The only thing I'll give you here is that the Mac App Store kinda sucks. But that wasn't the problem, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

no cost to me was my wife trying to run her business with no computer for over a week, relying on icloud which had not managed to save the latest version of her spreadsheets etc and losing that work

and it would have been nice to have the laptop back to where it was but now I have to spend all that time setting up emails n poo poo again

like I said. I expect to pour time and energy into a windows machine. I expect this mac to do the hard work for me

and thanks to the lovely shop I have to take the computer back to get fixed AGAIN coz osx is a bitch about serial numbers

the repair cost of this laptop terrifies me for owning it for much longer as its likely it'll break again in a month I guess

because PCs never have hardware failures, and PC manufacturers are just so good :jerkbag: about repairing them when they do.

but i'm sorry you had to endure the hardship of typing in e-mail passwords and other such things. if only there was some sort of automatic backup system built in to the operating system that could've prevented this...

edit: the repair center not flashing your mac's serial # on the new mobo is also somehow OS X's fault, got it.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 1, 2016

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

shucks guys :unsmith:

its osxs fault for being a little bitch about it

and the automatic backup system should work like my iphone. this is 2016. it should happen automatically. last time I check automatically didn't manually

I was talking about Time Machine, which is pretty automatic. "Do you want to use this external HD for time machine backups?" and if you click Yes then you get 100% automatic versioned backups from there.

iCloud is fine for backing up your photos or your phone or whatever, but it's not really the same thing. you can save your documents to it if you want to. idk if iCloud backs up your settings etc on OS X like it does with iOS. and if Apple is gonna be so stingy with online backup space that they charge for more than 5GB, I can't imagine them providing enough space to backup your entire computer.

the serial # thing is b/c companies were selling hackintoshes and Apple wasn't having any of that. still 1000x better than Windows' "oh hai I see u upgraded ur ram, since ur computer is different now we're gonna make you call Microsoft to verify you aren't using a pirated copy of Windows"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
on what planet is an external hard drive $4000 dollars, even in NZ money?

also just save all the documents to icloud if they'll all fit in 5GB, jfc

"iCloud drive, what's that?"
-echopenis, 2016

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

shitface posted:

I've had two macs over the course of 9 years. over that time I've upgraded (not reinstalled) OS X from 10.4 to to 10.11 using a single user account which I've never recreated or janitored in any way. I've had two technical issues over that time. one was a matSHITa superdrive in the iMac which really lived up to its manufacturer name and the other was a couple of days of instability caused by a gently caress up in the vmware kernel extension which meant i had to remove it for a couple of days until vmware updated.

honestly echi it sounds like you're just bad at computers

seriously. on my iMac I'm using the same user account that I've had since 2009.

that is, the user account I first created on the Mac mini running OS X 10.5 that I bought in 2009 has been flawlessly transferred via time machine to a newer mac, which has been continually upgraded to the latest OS without a reinstall, all without any problems.

I didn't know you could be bad at using macs, but somehow echi is...

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 1, 2016

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Can't you just plug an external HD into the USB port on your router and have it work with Time Machine? Would it work if the drive was formatted with HFS+?

I mean, I'm assuming at least Apple's routers can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
you literally just pick iCloud Drive in the save dialog, JFC it isn't hard

• Locked thread