Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey, it's a new thread! Fishylungs has been M.I.A. most of the past year, so I'm taking over duties (yes, I've asked a mod). Before we go any further:

Vargo posted:

You know what? Here's a new rule. Let's just go with a general "Don't be a creep" rule. This means don't act like an actress' breasts are a seperate person, don't obsess over whether a woman's body is "right" to play a superhero, don't say that women could stand to lose a few pounds, make ironic sexist remarks at your own risk, basic simple stuff. (Don't tell us what you masturbate to.)

If you want to say how good-looking an actress or actor is, go ahead, but don't be a creep about it, and at least try to have something else mor substantial to contribute to the discussion.

Now, the basis for this thread, like the previous ones, it to discuss movies based on comic books. They can be anything, past present and future, but individual threads are usually made for new movies when it gets closer to the film's release date and/or hype intensifies. Here are future releases, grouped by studio/universe and with links to corresponding threads when they are made:

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Thor: Ragnarok - November 3, 2017
Black Panther - February 16, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War - May 4, 2018
Ant-Man and the Wasp - July 6, 2018
Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019
Untitled Avengers film - May 3, 2019
Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel - July 5, 2019
Unknown film (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3?) - May 1, 2020
Unknown film - August 7, 2020
Unknown film - November 6, 2020

DC Extended Universe

Justice League - November 17, 2017
Aquaman - December 21, 2018
Shazam - April 5, 2019
Wonder Woman II - November 1, 2019
Unknown film (The Flash?) - February 14, 2020
Unknown film (Suicide Squad sequel?) - April 3, 2020
Unknown film (Green Lantern Corps?) - June 5, 2020
Unknown film (The Batman?) - July 24, 2020
Batgirl - TBD
Justice League Dark - TBD

X-Men film universe

Logan - March 3, 2017
The New Mutants - April 13, 2018
Deadpool 2 - June 1, 2018
X-Men: Dark Phoenix - November 2, 2018
Gambit - February 15, 2019
Unknown film - June 7, 2019
Unknown film - November 22, 2019
Unknown film - March 13, 2020
Unknown film - June 26, 2020
Unknown film - October 2, 2020
Unknown film - March 3, 2021

Valiant Comics film universe

Harbinger - 2017
Bloodshot - 2018
Harbinger sequel - TBD
Bloodshot sequel - TBD
Harbinger Wars - TBD
Archer & Armstrong - TBD
Shadowman - TBD

Others

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - September 29, 2017
Teen Titans Go! to the Movies - July 27, 2018
Venom - October 5, 2018
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - December 14, 2018
Hellboy - January 11, 2019
Silver & Black - February 8, 2019
Malignant Man - TBD
Rising Stars - TBD
Spawn reboot - TBD

That's a lot of superheroes! I'd also like to remind you that you are in Cinema Discusso. Not Batman's Shameful Secret, not the TV IV, Cinema Discusso. If you make a post in this thread about action figures, it had better have something to do with a movie. So keep on point, and remember: every comic book movie website is terrible, so don't go there unless you have to.

If I missed anything, please tell me and I'll add it to the OP.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a Lego Batman movie coming out next year.

Valiant comics have a 5 picture deal with Sony.

quote:

Bloodshot, targeted for a 2017 release, will be directed by the John Wick team of David Leitch and Chad Stahelski, working from a screenplay by Jeff Wadlow (Kick-rear end 2) and Eric Heisserer (The Thing remake, the upcoming Story of Your Life). Matthew Vaughn and Jason Kothari will act as executive producers.

For Harbinger, Heisserer will provide the script solo, while potential directors are being kept under wraps for now. All five movies will be produced by Valiant's Dinesh Shamdasani, along with Original Film's Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe (The Fast and Furious franchise, 21 Jump Street). Andrea Giannetti will oversee for Sony.
Archer & Armstrong and Shadowman are also in development.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And now is Affleck's turn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmSUSqjC-k

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Posted this in the BvS thread but Dawn of Justice will be getting a few 70mm IMAX prints, I think only 11 theaters in the world will be screening it in this format.

Heres a link with the list, this format is on its way out thanks to digital IMAX cameras and the new IMAX Laser projection systems so this is probably one of the last chances a movie like this will be projected on 70mm film.

http://collider.com/batman-vs-superman-imax-theaters/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Was The Rock rumored for a Shazam movie and a Black Adam spinoff?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red posted:

Was The Rock rumored for a Shazam movie and a Black Adam spinoff?

He's confirmed as Black Adam in Shazam, I don't know about spinoffs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

"Superman has a Subaru." Ben Affleck is amazing :allears:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And now is Affleck's turn

Is it just me, or does Affleck seem just a little bit sloshed in this?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
How about some positive BvS rumours for a change?

quote:

Up to now, the exact nature and extent of Gadot’s Amazonian warrior’s role in Snyder’s new movie has been largely relegated to a subservient, supplementary nature to the film’s presumed titular showdown. However, a rumor from a talking heads panel broadcast on the Collider YouTube channel suggests that Gadot will hit the ground running, when he makes her big screen debut as Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman.

In the footage featured above starting at the 23:13 minute mark, show hosts Jon Schnepp and John Campea are joined by special guests Chris Gore and Robert Meyer Burnett to talk about several interrelated topics associated with the latest superhero movie news, including the role of Gadot as Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman. According to multiple rounds of eyewitness testimony provided by the esteemed panel, a number of unnamed viewers have seen Snyder’s new movie have consistently stated that Gadot “steals the movie” and her role is more substantial than trailers and TV spots for the film might lead you to believe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Captain Marvel REALLY not coming out until 2019?

I swear if they fast track it after Wonder Woman brings in a billion dollars...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Captain Marvel was held back a bit because of the Sony-Marvel Spider-Man movie next year.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

"Hey everybody! I'm looking for a date for the premiere of the movie. Any of you lady's interested? Click the Omaze button!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

Is Captain Marvel REALLY not coming out until 2019?

I swear if they fast track it after Wonder Woman brings in a billion dollars...

I mean, 3 years isn't that bad of a timeframe. 2019 is going to be utterly ridiculous though if all of those stay in:

Shazam - April 5, 2019
Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2 - May 3, 2019
Justice League Part Two - June 14, 2019
Inhumans - July 12, 2019

e: I bet if Suicide Squad goes well you'll see a sequel in August of this year too.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 1, 2016

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Phylodox posted:

Is it just me, or does Affleck seem just a little bit sloshed in this?

He's definitely got some late night puffiness going on. Doesn't he gamble, like, all the time?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How about some positive BvS rumours for a change?

Sweet. Hopefully she's awesome and they can just dump Superman in the later movies for some Batman/WW team-up beatdowns.

At the very least she probably gets a couple memorable setpieces - it didn't take much for pre-buzz to say Quicksilver stole the movie for DofP and Hulk for Avengers 1 because of a few scenes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm still skeptical that the Inhumans movie will get made. Maybe I'm wrong.

I get the feeling one reason the Captain Marvel movie has been delayed is that they have not found who they wanted yet, or someone is not available. Remember that last year they were getting close to a deal with someone to the point where the character was going to cameo at the end of AoU, but that never materialized.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Valiant comics have a 5 picture deal with Sony.

That is interesting, I read a few Bloodshot comics back in the 90s. The recent rebooted comic looked a bit generically military style, where as the 90s was more generic Punisher style which I like better. I could see the John Wick guys having fun with that.

Also, Kat Dennings should be in all these movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still skeptical that the Inhumans movie will get made. Maybe I'm wrong.

Agent's of Shield is really going all-in on the Inhumans storyline, and Agent Carter's current season seems at least somewhat connected to all that, so I think it has a really good chance at actually getting made.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

computer parts posted:

I mean, 3 years isn't that bad of a timeframe. 2019 is going to be utterly ridiculous though if all of those stay in:

Shazam - April 5, 2019

I can't imagine I'll be the only one confusing these two films in 2019.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

roffels posted:

I can't imagine I'll be the only one confusing these two films in 2019.

Nah, anyone knowledgeable enough to know that Shazam used to be called Captain Marvel is likely to be knowledgeable enough to know that he no longer is.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, anyone knowledgeable enough to know that Shazam used to be called Captain Marvel is likely to be knowledgeable enough to know that he no longer is.

It is still kind of funny that they're competing head to head like that though.

Since Mighty Man, a Savage Dragon supporting character, is an homage/parody of Shazam/Captain Marvel, clearly this means a Savage Dragon film will follow. And now audiences will get that reference.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stuff about Civil War:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/01/new-civil-war-photos-brings-us-behind-the-battle

quote:

What are they saying? That the movie is fully a sequel to The Winter Soldier. I've been telling you this for a while, but now that the film is finished it seems to be confirmed - this isn't Avengers 2.5, but rather Captain America 3, and it truly focuses on Cap and Bucky. I have been told that Spider-Man is great, and that the film doesn't waste time on retelling his origin. We all get it, and the movie just moves along. I've been told that Black Panther is phenomenal, and that Chadwick Boseman is a major addition to the MCU. This movie picks up the pieces of Avengers: Age of Ultron in surprising and human ways and makes us feel the true cost of Sokovia. And I've been told that the last half hour of the film is brutal, both physically and emotionally. One person told me that the last act plays out as an emotional horror movie because the film gives both Tony and Steve solid reasoning, and because it truly makes you feel the depths of this schism.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
So it's better than the comic version. Cool.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Will Spider-Man be rated R???

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dreylad posted:

So it's better than the comic version. Cool.

I think part of it too is that this is new to the MCU as opposed to in the Marvel comics where it's like what X-Men is entirely about and the world has thousands of people and planets and so on getting wiped out all day. Not that the MCU is super grounded (or that the Netflix shows will ever cross over with them in a meaningful way) but the way the MCU is going someone like Killgrave alone existing makes it a lot easier for Iron Man to make his case.

That description does make me a little skeptical. It starts off saying the film is definitely Captain America 3 and not Avengers 2.5, then talks about how great it is that it deals with the fallout of all this stuff in Age of Ultron, not that that should go unacknowledged but uh...

I don't think it's a bad thing if it is an Avengers 2.5, obviously the rest of the team won't get as much screen time as Cap/Iron Man/Bucky/Falcon, but if the entire story ends up just springing forth from Age of Ultron alone that's pretty crazy (if super powered people being registered officially wasn't an issue after NYC was trashed in Avengers 1 then come on).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Snyder hopes to tackle the TRUE Captain America next:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-zack-snyder-profile/

quote:

One of these days, he’d like to make one about George Washington in the style of 300. He has a picture in his office of the Revolutionary War hero crossing the icy Delaware on his way to decimate the British in the Battle of Trenton. “We were talking about it,” Snyder says. “The first thing we asked was, well, how are we going to make it look? I pointed at this painting. It looks like 300. It’s not that hard.”

Time to get started on the Wonder Woman prequel movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember that Winter Soldier also ends with the government getting involved due to the destruction of SHIELD and its HQ. Now you have an international incident that nearly wiped out civilization where Tony I have to assume sides with the government after accidentally creating Ultron. So it's a natural evolution of the story where you have Cap still trying to find Bucky while now having to go rogue. Plus it looks like from the trailers that there is another incident like Stanford from the comics. We know Crossbones is doing something bad, and Baron Zemo is probably involved.

So I'm assuming that the government tells Tony to take down Cap because he's not playing by the rules (likely because Bucky is a fugitive and wanted by the US/SHIELD/whatever). So the two fight, along with the other Avengers. I assume someone is going to get killed off to make the stakes higher. Rhodey is the most obvious choice since that's super personal for Tony.

I'm really thinking that this ends with an 'Avengers Disassemble' kind of thing until Thanos shows up.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I thought it was never his name; Shazam is the wizard.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 2, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Wikipedia claims he was renamed to Shazam in 2011 during a relaunch of the series. That may well be wrong and I'd be happy to be corrected if anyone knows different.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The name "Captain Marvel" has a long weird legal history. As I remember, DC owns the character, but not the trademark for "Captain Marvel." They can refer to him as "Captain Marvel" within the contents of the books as much as they want. Which is why they've been using "SHAZAM!" on the covers dating back to the 70s when they were merely licensing the character. The New 52 change seems to have been made to simplify it for everyone. The wizard these days is still named Shazam, but he's usually just referred to as "The Wizard" or "The Wizard Shazam."

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Electromax posted:

Snyder hopes to tackle the TRUE Captain America next:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-zack-snyder-profile/

Time to get started on the Wonder Woman prequel movie.

Wasn't there a Robot Chicken sketch from a while back that actually predicted this?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Porkface posted:

The hilarious thing is, if you read into it- the Wizard IS Captain Marvel. The Wizard was designed to look like an aged Captain Marvel, and I think the original intent was that it was a passing of the torch kind of thing. When one Captain Marvel gets too old, he becomes a Wizard and bestows his powers onto the next Captain Marvel.

Meaning that, if you want to be pedantic, Captain Marvel's name has always been Shazam.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

Wasn't there a Robot Chicken sketch from a while back that actually predicted this?

Yep

http://youtu.be/PTcVNuNX8yY

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Shazam had grown so rich, he wanted to retire. He took me to his cave and he told me his secret. 'I am not Captain Marvel' he said. 'My name is Billy; I inherited the power from the previous Captain Marvel, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from is not the real Captain Marvel either. His name was Fawcett. The real Captain Marvel has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia.'

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Electromax posted:

Snyder hopes to tackle the TRUE Captain America next

The Revolutionary War equivalent of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, but with a better visual stylist, is an indisputably great idea.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

A Revolutionary War movie that actually looks like the propaganda paintings of the time is an interesting sounding idea, at the very least. And it would look spectacular, given the way reds and greens pop in Washington Crossing The Delaware.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Now I can't stop thinking of a 300 style, sexy, shirtless George Washington yelling while punching someone.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I would've preferred a 300 treatment of Sherman's March, but sure.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

I guess the name change also makes it much easier for me to indicate which super-heroic version of Billy Batson I like and which one I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TetsuoTW posted:

Shazam had grown so rich, he wanted to retire. He took me to his cave and he told me his secret. 'I am not Captain Marvel' he said. 'My name is Billy; I inherited the power from the previous Captain Marvel, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from is not the real Captain Marvel either. His name was Fawcett. The real Captain Marvel has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia.'

This is a good post.

• Locked thread