Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
They'll just pull what they did with the last Hulk movie ie take the sequel spec script they have lying around and make it part of a "different universe." So, you'll still end up with artifacts like Hulk starts in South America like at the end of the previous Hulk. And if they want to tie it back into the "larger universe," they can have Robert Downey Jr. show up at the end or after the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mecha Gojira posted:

They'll just pull what they did with the last Hulk movie ie take the sequel spec script they have lying around and make it part of a "different universe." So, you'll still end up with artifacts like Hulk starts in South America like at the end of the previous Hulk. And if they want to tie it back into the "larger universe," they can have Robert Downey Jr. show up at the end or after the credits.

Is this still about Venom? How is that supposed to work? Would they hire a dude who just kind of looked like Topher Grace?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Eh, Bana Norton and Ruffalo don't look all that alike either.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They could start with the symbiote finding a new host. Eddie Brock 'died' in Spider-Man 3 anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I forgot that they retconned part of Venom's backstory about 10 years ago, where they changed part of Eddie Brock's backstory to make it so that he had cancer and the Venom symbiote was the only thing keeping him alive. So when he was going after Spider-Man it was out of fear that he was going to take the symbiote back, and not actually because he wanted revenge due to his failed career. I don't even know if that is still canon or not.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Joseph Gordon Levitt has dropped from the Sandman project

https://www.facebook.com/JoeGordonLevitt/posts/1216006645089664

quote:

RE: SANDMAN
So, as you might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, a while back, David Goyer and I made a producing deal with Warner Brothers to develop a movie adaptation of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN. Neil himself came on as an executive producer, we hired the excellent screenwriter, Jack Thorne, and we started in on the ambitious task of adapting one of the most beloved and boundary-pushing titles in the world of comics. I was pleased with the progress we were making, even though we still had quite a ways to go.
Recently, as you also might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, the sorta "ownership" (for lack of a better term) of the Sandman material changed hands when Warner Brothers shifted the entire catalogue of Vertigo comics (an imprint of DC) to their subsidiary, New Line. And a few months ago, I came to realize that the folks at New Line and I just don't see eye to eye on what makes Sandman special, and what a film adaptation could/should be. So unfortunately, I decided to remove myself from the project. I wish nothing but the best for the team moving forward.
I'd like to thank all the great people I've had the opportunity to work with on this one. I've had a blast with and learned a ton from David and Jack. Niija Kuykendall, Greg Silverman, and everyone at Warner Brothers have been fantastic, as have Geoff Johns and everyone at DC. And it's been a particular privilege as well as a rocking good time getting to know Mr. Gaiman, whose generous insights and masterful work have certainly convinced me that the Lord of Dreams and the Prince of Stories are one and the same Endless pattern.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Well poo poo. They wanted Dream to punch a loving giant spider again didn't they?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

feedmyleg posted:

He definitely meant Ego. That is an actual rumor.

Yeah, I meant Ego. My point still remains.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The Sandman works so much better as a TV series than a movie anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

achillesforever6 posted:

I'd hate to see them try and pull off all the necessary effects to adapt the various storylines on a TV budget.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'd hate to see them try and pull off all the necessary effects to adapt the various storylines on a TV budget.
Yeah but TV has come a long way and I'm sure it would look good if they got a budget from a channel like HBO. There are a lot of standalone episodic issues in the Sandman that a movie couldn't do justice.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The poor cars.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, with all the talk about the dream sequences in BvS and the cameos, I've been thinking about which one I'd really like to see.

"Now choose, Bruce Wayne, do you want a secret or a mystery?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't even understand a business decision like fighting JGL on a Sandman project. Like, you have top tier talent writing and directing your project. You have the original creator on board. And you decide to gently caress with it just so you can... what? Neuter it and water it down so much that you'll just end up hiring Brett Ratner to direct and Luke Evans to star? Good work on building a franchise, you loving idiots.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I bet people said that about Lucifer too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, with all the talk about the dream sequences in BvS and the cameos, I've been thinking about which one I'd really like to see.

"Now choose, Bruce Wayne, do you want a secret or a mystery?"

Is art by that Bernie Wrightson?

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

BiggerBoat posted:

Is art by that Bernie Wrightson?

Yes it is. House of Mystery would make an amazing HBO series similar to Tales from the Crypt back in the day!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I forgot that they retconned part of Venom's backstory about 10 years ago, where they changed part of Eddie Brock's backstory to make it so that he had cancer and the Venom symbiote was the only thing keeping him alive. So when he was going after Spider-Man it was out of fear that he was going to take the symbiote back, and not actually because he wanted revenge due to his failed career. I don't even know if that is still canon or not.

This is a really weird change to me because this was part of Carnage's backstory forever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

feedmyleg posted:

I can't even understand a business decision like fighting JGL on a Sandman project. Like, you have top tier talent writing and directing your project. You have the original creator on board. And you decide to gently caress with it just so you can... what? Neuter it and water it down so much that you'll just end up hiring Brett Ratner to direct and Luke Evans to star? Good work on building a franchise, you loving idiots.

It switched studios, so the guys at the new studio had to put their fingerprints all over it so they could take credit for the project if it succeeded. Taking credit for something you did nothing but gently caress up is far more important than not taking credit for something you barely even touched.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Venom talk: I wonder if we're going to see a live-action rendition of Dr. Kafka that isn't a complete abomination.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 6, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I bet people said that about Lucifer too.
Yeah but I don't think people were really thinking that they were going to turn Lucifer into a cop procedural.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah but I don't think people were really thinking that they were going to turn Lucifer into a cop procedural.

There was no way they were going to do anything else with it. From the moment it was announced I've been saying it would only be vaguely connected to the comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Obviously making Lucifer a police procedural was a misstep, but I'm also puzzled at making him super British, and I don't mean the actor portraying him having a British accent, he clarifies with someone who said "pants" that he meant trousers. He's supposed to have been in LA for 5 years when the show starts, I know several UK expats and they are never confused when I say "pants."

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I feel like they would have to get someone like Aronofsky or Jodorowsky to direct Sandman for it to really work.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Obviously making Lucifer a police procedural was a misstep, but I'm also puzzled at making him super British, and I don't mean the actor portraying him having a British accent, he clarifies with someone who said "pants" that he meant trousers. He's supposed to have been in LA for 5 years when the show starts, I know several UK expats and they are never confused when I say "pants."
Yeah in the comics he was just David Bowie as the devil

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah in the comics he was just David Bowie as the devil

It just struck me as a weird detail to include. Like, if they get a second season and one of the episodes revolves around a murder at the new Rams stadium is he going to walk around saying "Oh, you mean 'American Football,"?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

Maybe God is just British.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

computer parts posted:

Maybe God is just British.

That would make even less sense, because then God's rebellious son would likely identify more with Britain's rebellious colony andthink Soccer sucks and would never say "trousers."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It just struck me as a weird detail to include. Like, if they get a second season and one of the episodes revolves around a murder at the new Rams stadium is he going to walk around saying "Oh, you mean 'American Football,"?

I'd be shocked if they don't do that in the remaining episodes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Skwirl posted:

How many people has he killed after giving him the biscuit he asked for?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tweets from EW writer about BvS:

https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/705407271015043072

https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/705410759702872064

https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/705413817740570624

https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/705414538695323649

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess this movie isn't for me then apperently.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can't wait until someone makes a superhero movie that actually is grim, dark, and gritty.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TetsuoTW posted:

I can't wait until someone makes a superhero movie that actually is grim, dark, and gritty.

Blade? Also the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie was pretty grim, dark, and gritty.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

Does Watchmen count?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TetsuoTW posted:

Punisher: War Zone. Neon lights are the dimmest lights.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People are so quick to forget that MoS was not grimdark.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If it's not Candyland like Marvel films with no consequences than it's grim dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

People are so quick to forget that MoS was not grimdark.

Superman was thematically tied to the Sun in that film and it was filled with light but people just remember the 'muted' tones of the film and assume it was grim and dark.

BvS on the other hand is looking pretty grim: practically every scene they've shown so far is at night and we've got Batman growling "Do you bleed?" and Superman doing the whole "The Bat is dead! Stay down!" rant. Also Batman's nightmare/vision about the apocalyptic future with fascist Superman.

• Locked thread