Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I seriously want to see a climactic duel with musical instruments instead of fists flying and metaphoric battle operatic dance coregraphy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Then watch Scott Pilgrim

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Then watch Scott Pilgrim

Especially the Brandon Routh scene.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Gyges posted:

I don't think I've ever heard a cello shred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfGggAGITwg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As the source is comicbook.com it's very possible that this is 100% bullshit but if it's not it's some amazing trolling on DC/WB's part.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/07/j-k-simmons-cast-as-commissioner-gordon-in-justice-league/

quote:

J.K. Simmons will play Commissioner James Gordon in Zack Snyder's upcoming Justice League - Part One, THR reports.

The actor, best known to comics fans as J. Jonah Jameson in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films and the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series, will play the Gotham City Police Commissioner in the upcoming team-up film which will star Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in the wake of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Over the years, Simmons has frequently been quizzed on whether he might return as Jameson in a Spider-Man reboot, since his is arguably the most universally-beloved casting ever in a comic book movie. He's always said that he's open to it, but two reboots on had recently started to acknowledge it seemed less likely.

Justice League, written by Chris Terrio (Argo) and directed by Snyder, is expected to start filming in April for a November 2017 release.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

That sucks dude. :(

Snyder fight scenes are so amazing IMO - from 300 thru Watchmen to MoS and from the looks of just the Batman vs Thugs fight - he's so visceral and the violence is brutal, not real - but its harsh. I would have loved for him to take on something like Predator.

The best fight scene he shot imo is the one that was cut from watchmen. There's nothing particularly spectacular about it, it's just well done.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

As the source is comicbook.com it's very possible that this is 100% bullshit but if it's not it's some amazing trolling on DC/WB's part.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/07/j-k-simmons-cast-as-commissioner-gordon-in-justice-league/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-adds-jk-simmons-873227

Is real

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nice, Simmons is gonna be great.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Weird to see that since every single report during the casting of BvS kept on saying "oh, at this point, Gordon's dead, the Robins have died or moved on..."

So I wonder what the reason for him not being in BvS is. Retired, maybe?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Joe Russo on Civil War:

quote:

The movies we’ve been referencing a lot on this one are Se7en, weirdly. We like smashing genres into each other, so if you can find something that’s really idiosyncratic in respect to superhero genre and you can smoosh it into it you usually wind up with something fresh and different. Se7en, Fargo, just as far as we’re not making comparisons in terms of quality we’re just talking influences, The Godfather, because that’s a sprawling film with a lot of characters that tells very intricate stories. Each character has an arc.

Three Days of the Condor is to The Winter Soldier as Se7en is to Civil War.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

90s psychological thrillers are the new 70s political thrillers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://www.facebook.com/benaffleck/videos/1024285027645924/
:drat:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

The PR intern at WB posting from Ben Affleck's account laid the smack down on Henry Cavill, whose account the intern was also posting from.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have it on good authority it's actually them.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

The Cameo posted:

So I wonder what the reason for him not being in BvS is. Retired, maybe?

My guess is the bulk of the movie doesn't take place in Gotham City? Who knows though, really.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

I have it on good authority it's actually them.

Yeah, the BvS page is almost certainly run by a WB intern, but if any interns are running those actors' pages, it's interns hired by those actors.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So are they just not allowed to talk about Civil War in actual movie terms?

Like, do they have to only compare it to other things?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So we could potentially have Affleck, Irons, Leto, and Simmons in a solo Batman movie with a script written by Terrio. That's a nice cast :allears: Add Margot Robbie and Will Smith, and cast Matt Damon as Hush. Or Jake Gyllenhaal as Todd/Red Hood.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

When you're pitching an idea, you usually use other films as a basis for understanding the rough tone their going for.

Instead of saying "It's a dark, psychological story" they say "It's like Seven" and your mind immediately understands what that means. But I don't think Civil War is going to be like Seven, at all. But I digress.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

So we could potentially have Affleck, Irons, Leto, and Simmons in a solo Batman movie with a script written by Terrio. That's a nice cast :allears: Add Margot Robbie and Will Smith, and cast Matt Damon as Hush. Or Jake Gyllenhaal as Todd/Red Hood.

Might be the second best Batman movie ever made.

First best is going to be The Killing Joke.

I hope.

Please don't gently caress up the Killing Joke DC. Please. For the love of God please.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Since WB cast Simmons as Gordon, maybe Sony will cast Gary Oldman as J.J. Jameson?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's a great casting choice, since I always thought his J. Jonah Jameson looked a lot like the Gordon from Year One.

On the other hand, Simmons as JJJ is pretty much the ideal cast and I don't know if my brain would accept anyone else in the role. I feel the same with Snipes as Blade and Jackman as Wolverine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CelticPredator posted:

When you're pitching an idea, you usually use other films as a basis for understanding the rough tone their going for.

Instead of saying "It's a dark, psychological story" they say "It's like Seven" and your mind immediately understands what that means. But I don't think Civil War is going to be like Seven, at all. But I digress.

I don't know, Gweneth Paltrow is in both movies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gyges posted:

I don't know, Gweneth Paltrow is in both movies.

Pepper cameo confirmed.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Pepper cameo confirmed.

Is her body still all juiced up with the extremis poo poo?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rurea posted:

Nah, Tony couldn't handle the heat, had it removed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jeff Nichols explains why he passed on Aquaman

quote:

Nichols admits that he was in talks to direct Aquaman, but joked, “If you were a director working on the Warner Bros. lot over the past few years, someone is going to ask you about a DC character at some point.” While working primarily on indie movies like Mud and Take Shelter over the past few years, Nichols had been eager to work at the studio level, primarily with Warner Bros., a studio he felt was particularly artist friendly. He was equally as eager to work on a larger budget, but despite some “fun conversations,” never felt fully comfortable working within the confines of the DC Cinematic Universe.

But, you now [sighs] the trick with ‘Midnight Special’ is even though it was made at the studio, they gave me a lot of control over the process. And I don’t just mean control over final cut, but it felt like we were making one of my movies. I had my team. I had my family there. My crew. We made the movie we all wanted to make. With the DC universe, so many parts of it had been activated and so many decisions had already been made that it felt more and more — and Warner Bros. agreed — that it was me trying to jump on a moving train. That’s not so much what I’m good at. I’m more of a ground up kinda guy.

Aquaman had already been cast at this point (Jason Momoa), his costume designed and there had been at least one script in development, so it’s not surprising Nichols was at least weary of joining a project so far along. But, there is certainly no shortage of characters in the DC universe that are getting their own movie, would he want to return and develop one of those characters?

Not really. Because, it’s all a connected universe. And it should be. And I was an advocate of that. The decisions that Zack (Snyder) is going to make in Batman vs. Superman, those all connect to things that are going to happen in Justice League and all that. And I was a huge comic book nerd, so I know all these characters and they all need to be beautifully webbed together. I was just far enough on the outside that I could develop things in a vacuum all day long but it wasn’t going to line up with everything they had planned.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rurea posted:

Imagine the interesting answer to that question.

Now imagine what Marvel actually decided to do.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Burkion posted:

I just hope they go all in with those comparisons. Like, just straight-up claim that the next Avengers movie is Fargo. This thread is gonna burn.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

I just hope they go all in with those comparisons. Like, just straight-up claim that the next Avengers movie is Fargo. This thread is gonna burn.

Just like all those parked cars in the next movie. :ohdear:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Drifter posted:

Just like all those parked cars in the next movie. :ohdear:

Swerve, only bicycles will be burned in the next movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kulkasha posted:

I feel like they would have to get someone like Aronofsky or Jodorowsky to direct Sandman for it to really work.
Gilliam might pull it off, but as long as I'm wishing for impossible things, I'd like to see him take on The Invisibles or The Filth.

e: Sandman might work best as a series of films or, in a pinch, a high-budget TV show with a different director for each installment/episode, all of them with distinctly different styles. Gilliam, Jodorowsky, Lynch, maybe even Winding Refn. (Speaking of, is there anything recent about the Incal movie?)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 8, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of wishing for impossible things,

https://twitter.com/Bosslogic/status/707086310800896000

Then again,

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/706898770487746561

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ice Cube as JJJ would be fuckin sick. I love that idea.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I momentarily mistook the photoshop for Craig Robinson, which would also work.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They could have started with Spider-Man.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
The Jump Street MIB crossover goes further than any of us could have imagined. Ice Cube plays JJJ/Zed/Nick Fury as roles just slide together and universes lose cohesion under unimaginable marketing pressure.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Whoopi Goldberg as Aunt May.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Comic Book Movie Megathread: The Godfather, because that’s a sprawling film with a lot of characters that tells very intricate stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I wonder if at some point the movies will reflect that these guys working at newspapers is a full three revolutions behind how news is actually delivered nowadays.

• Locked thread