Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hillary Clinton has a billion dollar operation in place to make sure that people do remember.

I'm not sure if it'd help to be honest. Trump is literally saying the craziest poo poo nonstop without any signs of stopping and it'd just be throwing more wood onto an inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'm not sure if it'd help to be honest. Trump is literally saying the craziest poo poo nonstop without any signs of stopping and it'd just be throwing more wood onto an inferno.

*in the Republican primary

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Buckwheat Sings posted:

LOL, no. He gets away with it because he's running a primary campaign and the GOP base is made up of the worst people in America. He's going to get shredded in the general. At this point I'm even chill with the bro-est of Bernie Bros because even Bernie could beat the dogshit out of him.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Trump met with Reince & co at RNC headquarters today.

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/715650693995081729

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Contrary to popular belief, studies of the history of Metro have shown that any Georgetown station would be extremely expensive because it needed to be sufficiently deep to avoid the River. And back when Metro was being built, there wasn't really much demand to go to Georgetown. [link]

By the way, I've been meaning to put up a thread about public infrastructure and transit politics for ages, I'll be putting it together very shortly with discussions of some of the different really important funding mechanisms that are going to be on local ballots across the country this November for those who want to discuss these kinds of topics further. :)

This would be cool so local-transit-chat doesn't derail USPol. Make sure and let us all know when it's up. I want a place to talk about how subway systems across the country are becoming failed organizations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

showbiz_liz posted:

Why are we digging these huge tunnels anyway when we could have these awesome loving sky gondolas? I learned about those recently and I want to know why they're not everywhere.

gondolas only really make sense where you have a lot of significant elevation changes, because the downside of a gondola is that it's really low throughput (only so many people can fit in those cars) and imagine being stuck in one of those when the system breaks. now imagine you're stuck in there with a drunk bum

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Warcabbit posted:

Rock history talk

There's a big difference between recognizing the lovely practices and circumstances that enabled the creation of something valuable while still appreciating its merit and using that value to excuse those practices.

The artifacts and ruins of ancient Egypt have a tremendous amount of cultural and aesthetic value, but their beauty and cultural importance don't wash away the fact that all of it was built on the toil and tortuous suffering of generations of slaves across millennia. We don't look at the pyramids today and think "well if we only enslaved a couple thousand people...."

Cultural appropriation and exchange helped create all of modern music but that doesn't mean that we should aspire to return to an era where music made by black artists couldn't be considered "appropriate" for white audiences without white performers or where musicians touring together had to stay in different hotels and got vastly different pay and treatment based on their skin color.

We can appreciate that Rock and Roll and its resulting progeny have enriched our lives immensely while still holding the recording industry, the government, and society accountable for the horribly hosed up things that shaped its history.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha the George Mason School of Law is being renamed the Antonin Scalia School of Law. I wonder if this will positively or negatively impact the university.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

fits my needs posted:

Hahaha the George Mason School of Law is being renamed the Antonin Scalia School of Law. I wonder if this will positively or negatively impact the university.

It was posted earlier... but I really do hope they change the mascot to applesauce with this change.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fits my needs posted:

I would assume ASSoL would produce good lawyers.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fits my needs posted:

rear end Law!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doctor Butts posted:

rear end O' Law

I've seen a couple of her movies, they're okay

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There's a big difference between recognizing the lovely practices and circumstances that enabled the creation of something valuable while still appreciating its merit and using that value to excuse those practices.

The artifacts and ruins of ancient Egypt have a tremendous amount of cultural and aesthetic value, but their beauty and cultural importance don't wash away the fact that all of it was built on the toil and tortuous suffering of generations of slaves across millennia. We don't look at the pyramids today and think "well if we only enslaved a couple thousand people...."

The people who built the pyramids were devout and celebrated workers. The idea that slaves built them is based on the bible, not actual archeological evidence.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nessus posted:

The East Coast gets hit by hurricanes occasionally and I'm not sure what a hurricane does to these things.

Smaller scale ones have operated in Florida theme parks over distances of a couple miles in for decades. When a hurricane comes along you pack up the gondolas. If the cable falls you just put a new one up. They took the one out of Disney because it was a hellhole of OSHA violations, not because of hurricanes.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Edmund Lava posted:

The people who built the pyramids were devout and celebrated workers. The idea that slaves built them is based on the bible, not actual archeological evidence.

The bible is always right.

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

rear end O' Law

You rang?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

LOL, no. He gets away with it because he's running a primary campaign and the GOP base is made up of the worst people in America. He's going to get shredded in the general. At this point I'm even chill with the bro-est of Bernie Bros because even Bernie could beat the dogshit out of him.

Well that's what I mean. It's basically that pic of that dog drinking coffee as his house burns around him. We're just not at the part where he melts into goop yet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
There is something fitting about the father of the Bill of Rights who was also against slavery while owning slaves being replaced by a guy who poo poo all over the constitution and would have loved if slavery returned. Just trading one massive hypocrite for another massive hypocrite.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Darth Walrus posted:

They got pretty overt about their corruption. The Qatar deal alone...

I have a hard time believing that FIFA is as bad as the literal Mafia or the cartels who regularly have people murdered in gruesome fashion. The slave labor is more on the Qataris' hands than FIFA directly, but I still agree that FIFA deserved to be RICO'd.

Also, re: DC chat: I think DC is overrated. For one, the summers are awful there. It's humid and there's no shade/breeze because of how the city is structured. For two, I really dislike how nobody is "from" there due to its nature as a "revolving door" city for careerists. Maybe it's just my Midwestern roots, but I really desire a certain home appeal and long-time residents; so while the international flavor of DC is a huge plus, the transient feeling to it all is a big negative as well.

Just my two cents as someone that lived and interned in DC for a summer.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 31, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A new challenger appears:
https://twitter.com/AndrewWK/status/715640166803775488

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have a hard time believing that FIFA as bad as the literal Mafia or the cartels who regularly have people murdered in gruesome fashion. The slave labor is more on the Qataris' hands than FIFA directly, but I still agree that FIFA deserved to be RICO'd.

Sorry, but slavery guilt follows the one-drop rule..

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tempest_56 posted:

Or Congress could vote to alter and/or revoke said act, since it wouldn't require an amendment. Now THAT would be a fascinating fight.

God drat it, don't give them any ideas!!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hey, where's the subtitle for this thread? :mad:

Beelzebooty
Jan 7, 2016

when it's time to govern we will always govern hard

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

axeil posted:

Yeah when I first moved here it was still mostly usable but ever since the Silver Line opened back in 2014 it's been a complete nose dive (and people like @unsuckdcmetro and @FixWMATA on Twitter have been point it out for years before that). I started driving the 10 minutes to work instead of taking a train 5 stops because I was sick of showing up 30 minutes late to meetings despite leaving an hour ahead of time (and yes this happened once).

The real breaking point for me was the day I said "gently caress it" and walked home and ended up beating the train. That's when I knew I was done riding the metro.

And that's not even getting into how unusable it is for nights and weekends. When I first moved here I'd metro up to U Street or Chinatown or wherever from beyond 495 and it was a shorter trip than going from Arlington to the same places. This is because the system has hilariously long waits between trains on the nights/weekends, sometimes as much as 40 minutes if you're really unlucky. It's completely unusable after about 8 PM on a weekday.

Trump would surely make the trains run on time. :godwin:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have a hard time believing that FIFA is as bad as the literal Mafia or the cartels who regularly have people murdered in gruesome fashion. The slave labor is more on the Qataris' hands than FIFA directly, but I still agree that FIFA deserved to be RICO'd.

I believe it was the LAPD that was also hit with RICO charges.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I know where my vote is going now

e:lol if they're serious, and it sounds kinda moderate if they are, but whatever

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 31, 2016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That is one old rear end joke.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Quorum posted:

Only one death: the shooter. From what I've heard, the state troopers and city police were literally doing a narcotics training exercise in the station when the suspect walked up and shot one in the chest. I suspect they were all in body armor, so the result is unsurprising. Sounds like the shooter was mentally ill, and not just in the "lone wolf we may never understand why" sense.

e: Actually, hearing reports the trooper who was initially shot is also dead. Not sure.

Real strange, our sources are saying the trooper is dead. Like, was seen getting zipped up in a body bag dead. Weird for state police to say otherwise.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Edmund Lava posted:

:rolleyes: I was talking about the army of slaves who performed myriad other labor tasks that kept Egyptian (and later Greek and Roman) society running. The pyramids were just a shorthand for that cultural legacy, my pedantic friend.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

https://youtu.be/DlJEt2KU33I

https://youtu.be/qr6ar3xJL_Q

http://youtu.be/rkdvawW6Vzw

There's a litany of others I think but I'm phone-posting.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The summers were swampy as hell, but I really enjoyed the two years I lived in DC (well, just over the river in Roslyn, technically) while I was earning my MA at GWU. :shrug:

Kinda miss it, but it was too drat expensive to stick around on the one good job offer I had back then.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Beelzebooty posted:

when it's time to govern we will always govern hard

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Winner is Jew posted:

Good, but then again they were just stealing from the Stooges who in turn stole from MC5.
ugh my house at about7 ilium and aw

So, the whole point of avoiding racial appropriation is to keep the races separate?

That seems . . . Counter-intuitive.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

For two, I really dislike how nobody is "from" there due to its nature as a "revolving door" city for careerists. Maybe it's just my Midwestern roots, but I really desire a certain home appeal and long-time residents; so while the international flavor of DC is a huge plus, the transient feeling to it all is a big negative as well.

I've lived my entire life in or around DC. Every time I'm in a corporate meeting where they demand "one interesting fact" to identify you, I mention that I'm a DC native. I've actually had people gasp at that idea.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Combed Thunderclap posted:

By the way, I've been meaning to put up a thread about public infrastructure and transit politics for ages, I'll be putting it together very shortly with discussions of some of the different really important funding mechanisms that are going to be on local ballots across the country this November for those who want to discuss these kinds of topics further. :)

this will be a terrible goony spergy mess which I will post the hell out of please make it ASAP

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
New thread theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ballz posted:

Real strange, our sources are saying the trooper is dead. Like, was seen getting zipped up in a body bag dead. Weird for state police to say otherwise.

NPR is currently reporting the trooper is alive, while local news (I think using an out of date version of the statement) is reporting that he is dead. I'm siding with NPR on this one.

Slightly surreal to see national news clinically and awkwardly describing your own city's slightly unsightly semi-blighted regions.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Stultus Maximus posted:

That is one old rear end joke.

That is an accurate description of Andrew W.K., yes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So who's gonna make the new thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Quorum posted:

NPR is currently reporting the trooper is alive, while local news (I think using an out of date version of the statement) is reporting that he is dead. I'm siding with NPR on this one.

Slightly surreal to see national news clinically and awkwardly describing your own city's slightly unsightly semi-blighted regions.

Yeah, after initial police reports saying he was dead, the VSP PIO Corinne Geller came out and said he was still alive. Typically when something like that happens, it in reality means the person is brain dead, but being kept alive on life support for the family to gather around and say their goodbyes.

In this case, we (I work at a local news station) got reports from several of our reliable sources saying he was 100% dead and in a body bag on the way to the morgue, making the PIO's comments a short time later throw us for a loop. Not a big deal other than making the local media appear unnecessarily ghoulish through no real fault of our own.

• Locked thread