Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

axeil posted:

This would be cool so local-transit-chat doesn't derail USPol. Make sure and let us all know when it's up. I want a place to talk about how subway systems across the country are becoming failed organizations.

Agreed, I'd love to see a public transit thread to nerd out about and probably never post in. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Smaller scale ones have operated in Florida theme parks over distances of a couple miles in for decades. When a hurricane comes along you pack up the gondolas. If the cable falls you just put a new one up. They took the one out of Disney because it was a hellhole of OSHA violations, not because of hurricanes.

I rode one of those Disney ones when I was a kid and I'm not sure I've ever been more scared in my life. I really can't imagine riding one of these things as public transportation. Intellectually I know they exist and they're probably a lot safer than I think and that's high density cable and if a bunch of people had died on these things I'd know. But I can't get past the idea that I'm riding in a box dangling on a wire. I'm now imagining a morning commute filled with abject terror.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

STAC Goat posted:

I rode one of those Disney ones when I was a kid and I'm not sure I've ever been more scared in my life. I really can't imagine riding one of these things as public transportation. Intellectually I know they exist and they're probably a lot safer than I think and that's high density cable and if a bunch of people had died on these things I'd know. But I can't get past the idea that I'm riding in a box dangling on a wire. I'm now imagining a morning commute filled with abject terror.

At least with the one in New York City, for the most of the route you'd just land in the river and float - and if the motor breaks they wheel over rescue baskets with food/water and to take off the braver passengers.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Popular Thug Drink posted:

gondolas only really make sense where you have a lot of significant elevation changes, because the downside of a gondola is that it's really low throughput (only so many people can fit in those cars) and imagine being stuck in one of those when the system breaks. now imagine you're stuck in there with a drunk bum

On the plus side, low gondolas are less susceptible to hot-dogging fighter jock impacts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalese_cable_car_disaster_(1998)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

About to get a live update on the Richmond trooper shooting.

Right now it's just reporters not realizing that the pile of microphones two feet away from them is picking up their conversation about yogurt and fish tacos.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2013/08/stalins-rope-roads/100577/

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

:stare:
holy poo poo

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think there's an inevitable backlash brewing. People know our government is nonfunctional and that something has to change. The problem is the "for my team to win your team has to lose" tribal mentality that pervades both sides of the political spectrum and I have no idea how you go about defusing that situation.

Look at this stupid false equivalency bullshit. One side works with the other and considers any progress a "win", the other considers anything but burning the entire government to ashes a loss. In no way are these two remotely the same.

In what sane world would "accepting a compromise supreme court judge when a retirement opens while the other side holds the white house" be a loss instead of a victory?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The human mind is a very adaptable thing. If we can get used to barreling down the road at 80+mph and think of it as mundane, we can find rope roads mundane. It's easy, it just takes exposure.

-neutrino-
Nov 4, 2008

That is awesome!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm now imagining a morning commute filled with abject terror.

Such is life under Capitalism, comrade. :ussr:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Harik posted:

Look at this stupid false equivalency bullshit. One side works with the other and considers any progress a "win", the other considers anything but burning the entire government to ashes a loss. In no way are these two remotely the same.

In what sane world would "accepting a compromise supreme court judge when a retirement opens while the other side holds the white house" be a loss instead of a victory?

:nallears:

poo poo didn't always work that way and that's part of the problem. But you have people on the left acting like we need to start having the same sort of rigid ideology and welp. I'm sure I'm betraying the revolution and will get called all sorts of names but I don't really give a poo poo.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I'm pretty sure those are HD screen shots from Half-Life 2's Citadel segment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Unfortunately NBC News has reported that the officer is in fact dead. drat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

STAC Goat posted:

I'm now imagining a morning commute filled with abject terror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnoetmqDXoA

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

LOL, no. He gets away with it because he's running a primary campaign and the GOP base is made up of the worst people in America. He's going to get shredded in the general. At this point I'm even chill with the bro-est of Bernie Bros because even Bernie could beat the dogshit out of him.

For the love of god, please stop saying this as though it is a given.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

That was pretty tame, and the guy heard in the video is way too high-strung.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fuuuuuuck that.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

CelestialScribe posted:

It is though friend. There's no demographic group Trump is above water in. Even non college whites and white men. It's going to be okay.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

The Maroon Hawk posted:

That was pretty tame, and the guy heard in the video is way too high-strung.

This guy is a terrible driver.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was daydreaming about a roller coaster-based mass transit a couple days ago - they actually have a cable-car system at Six Flags Great Adventure. A little piece of electric motor futurism, we used to have World's Fairs here.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:nallears:

poo poo didn't always work that way and that's part of the problem. But you have people on the left acting like we need to start having the same sort of rigid ideology and welp. I'm sure I'm betraying the revolution and will get called all sorts of names but I don't really give a poo poo.

Liberals are perfectly capable of accepting a non-perfect solution if it at least appears like our side is trying. You don't go to a dealership and offer the sticker price.

Most of the anger is because the strategy of stomping your feet and holding your breath tantrums seems to work - either they get their way or nobody does. Ideally we'd go back to a government of give-and-take, and the balance of where the compromise lands is based on who has a majority. The other half of the anger is that the minority party (by votes) has such a ridiculous majority due to gerrymandering and pretends that it's a mandate.

Sorry I'm not calling you names and calling you a betrayer of the revolution. I guess I'm not ideologically pure enough either!

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Rygar201 posted:

It is though friend. There's no demographic group Trump is above water in. Even non college whites and white men. It's going to be okay.

The demographic is known as "angry stupid people". This unfortunately makes up a large percentage of the US population.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

This dude is really pathetic and a horrible driver

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nerve posted:

This dude is really pathetic and a horrible driver

Hence the constant fear. But I don't live in Denver, I live in a place where people gratuitously abuse the "farm truck" loopholes and end up pushing insurance rates up for the entire city because they lack poo poo like blinkers and a functioning/sober driver.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

I've read that before, thanks for the reminder. I think they tried some of everything over the years.

Reminded me of this bit of insanity they built in the caspian sea.

quote:

The foundation of the main settlement consists of seven sunken ships including "Zoroaster," the world's first oil tanker, built in Sweden. In Neft Dashlari's heyday, some 2,000 drilling platforms were spread in a 30-kilometer circle, joined by a network of bridge viaducts spanning 300 kilometers. Trucks thundered across the bridges and eight-story apartment blocks were built for the 5,000 workers who sometimes spent weeks on Neft Dashlari. The voyage back to the mainland could take anything between six and twelve hours, depending on the type of ship. The island had its own beverage factory, soccer pitch, library, bakery, laundry, 300-seat cinema, bathhouse, vegetable garden and even a tree-lined park for which the soil was brought from the mainland.

It was a Stalinist utopia for the working class. A Soviet stamp from 1971 summed up the gigantic hopes it embodied in a tiny image: against the black outline of a drilling rig, a road made of bridges snaked its way across the deep blue sea towards further rigs and a red sun on the horizon.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

Actually it is. It's as much a given as something in political can possibly be. But enough your Arzing I guess.

Anyway. the Chicago PD has absolutely no loving shame.

Police union hires officer charged in Laquan McDonald's killing

FFS get the Feds in there and clean loving house from top to bottom. This is sick.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 1, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Actually it is. It's as much a given as something in political can possibly be. But enough your Arzing I guess.

FFS get the Feds in there and clean loving house from top to bottom. This is sick.

It's me, the professional Jack of All Trades.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Harik posted:

I've read that before, thanks for the reminder. I think they tried some of everything over the years.

Reminded me of this bit of insanity they built in the caspian sea.

I think that the entire philosophy behind it is to build things so that the less safety critical bits corrode through first and hope that they replace the more safety critical bits at the same time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CelestialScribe posted:

IDK dude, like a good ~70% of Americans have a negative opinion of the guy, up from 60% a few weeks ago. And this is before the Dems have really done any oppo campaigning against him.

Also the data from the poll I'm referring to predates the events of this past week, which almost seems to have been sent from heaven specifically to further trash his appeal among women of both political parties.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just a few bad apples (who are elected by a majority of cops as their representatives).

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just a few bad apples (who are elected by a majority of cops as their representatives).

yeah it's not like a few bad apples spoil the bunch or anything

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Harik posted:

Ideally we'd go back to a government of give-and-take, and the balance of where the compromise lands is based on who has a majority.

Bring back pork-barrel spending and appropriations. I'll put up with helping to fund some random bridge in the middle of bumfuck nowhere if that means that more money is spent on proper infrastructure elsewhere.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have a hard time believing that FIFA is as bad as the literal Mafia or the cartels who regularly have people murdered in gruesome fashion. The slave labor is more on the Qataris' hands than FIFA directly, but I still agree that FIFA deserved to be RICO'd.

Also, re: DC chat: I think DC is overrated. For one, the summers are awful there. It's humid and there's no shade/breeze because of how the city is structured. For two, I really dislike how nobody is "from" there due to its nature as a "revolving door" city for careerists. Maybe it's just my Midwestern roots, but I really desire a certain home appeal and long-time residents; so while the international flavor of DC is a huge plus, the transient feeling to it all is a big negative as well.

Just my two cents as someone that lived and interned in DC for a summer.

I'm from DC :shobon:

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harik posted:

Liberals are perfectly capable of accepting a non-perfect solution if it at least appears like our side is trying. You don't go to a dealership and offer the sticker price.

Most of the anger is because the strategy of stomping your feet and holding your breath tantrums seems to work - either they get their way or nobody does. Ideally we'd go back to a government of give-and-take, and the balance of where the compromise lands is based on who has a majority. The other half of the anger is that the minority party (by votes) has such a ridiculous majority due to gerrymandering and pretends that it's a mandate.

Sorry I'm not calling you names and calling you a betrayer of the revolution. I guess I'm not ideologically pure enough either!

Reminds me of that barry gold water quote regarding the religious right

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible drat problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, almost nobody is from DC. :colbert:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

IDK dude, like a good ~70% of Americans have a negative opinion of the guy, up from 60% a few weeks ago. And this is before the Dems have really done any oppo campaigning against him.

Also the data from the poll I'm referring to predates the events of this past week, which almost seems to have been sent from heaven specifically to further trash his appeal among women of both political parties.

People will vote for someone they have a negative view of as long as the alternative is worse.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Man you dudes are loving comitted to Arzying eh?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CelestialScribe posted:

People will vote for someone they have a negative view of as long as the alternative is worse.

If my middle-aged, middle-America mom & dad tell me flat out that they'd sooner vote for Donald Duck than Donald Trump, I think we can safely assume that he's already lost the moderates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

So what you're saying is that Independents are going to vote for Hillary in a landslide because Trump is way worse. I agree.

• Locked thread