Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Just gonna drop in to say that wasps are arguably some of the most ecologically essential insects on the planet.

Also we wouldn't have bees or ants without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Radbot posted:

Spam can be good (spam musubi anyone?) but eating straight from the can and covering it with a disposable glove?

As somebody who's worked in a few labs and whose mom is a medical assistant, shoving half a sandwich or pastry into a glove to put in the fridge or using one in lieu of Saran Wrap is a time-honored practice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who knows. I am not exactly a fan of some parts of the left. plus i have said that stupid youth will vote for trump because of stuff they see at colleges like the havard stuff.( i am not because trump would make everything a million times worse)

Harvard stuff?

Do you mean the stuff about dealing with sexual assault better, the stuff about being more environmentally responsible, or the stuff about being less lovely to black people?

Because in all three of those cases, the SJWs are objectively correct and the sort of "stupid youth" that would rally Rightward in response to them is the very definition of a "low information voter".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dexo posted:

I mean yeah. I don't get why the Establishment thinks loving Romney was a good choice to do this. Have him endorse Cruz/Rubio or whoever. but don't have him attack Trump.

Trump is going to roast this man into Jeb Bush territory.

The worst part is this:

Romney, 4 years ago posted:

"There are some things that you just can’t imagine happening in your life. This is one of them. Being in Donald Trump’s magnificent hotel and having his endorsement is a delight. I’m so honored and pleased to have his endorsement.”

There's no way to read Mitt's statements on Trump in 2016 and compare them to the way he gushed over Trump's endorsement in 2012 without him, and by extension the establishment, looking like a colossal rat.

Either you hate Trump and he's a rat for previously cozying up to him while bearing the mantle of religious piety when it suited him and only denouncing him when it was too late or you love Trump and he's a rat for stabbing your candidate in the back at the behest of your cabal.

And Trump's making drat sure that everyone remembers his 2012 endorsement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xarthor posted:

I grew up in Louisiana for ~10 years and I have a buddy who was personally affected by Jindal. He was a psychology major in college and after graduation struggled for quite awhile to find a job in the mental health field but finally FINALLY he got hired at an in-patient rehab facility and was enjoying using his degree for the first time ever.

And like a month or two later got fired because Jindal gut the state mental health and they didn't have the funds to keep him on board even though they could have used the help.

Now he works at a hotel (hooray tourism :toot:) which he likes okay, but I'm reasonably sure he'd rather be using his degree. Anyway, gently caress Bobby Jindal.

You should tweet this at @realDonaldTrump with a link to that WaPo article.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
are people watching this trump mississippi victory speech what the hell is this i can't even

this is just the strangest thing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Northjayhawk posted:

Obviously, the big thing the unskewers are ignoring are the huge demographic changes taking place rapidly. Every 4 years the electorate is 2% less white because the non-white vote is immigrating and/or reproducing much faster than white voters, and the old angry white baby boomer generation is dying off.

This glaring disconnect is what set off the unskewing in the first place. Ever since Nixon and Friends made the myth of the Silent Majority a tentpole of the Southern Strategy, GOP identity has lived and died by the notion that they are the representative American "normal" and that they're fighting to preserve that normalcy in the face of creeping insidious, transgressive niche interests and degenerations.

It's why Obama's presidency hasn't just been politically undesirable but straight up illegitimate. The majority of Americans couldn't possibly support him as president (twice) and anything suggesting otherwise must be the work of Liberal Interests smokescreening the truth. Or those voters simply aren't real Americans.

--The majority of Americans don't support gay marriage, it's a handful of activist judges doing the bidding of the Gay Agenda and maybe some know-nothing millennials who'll be brought around in time.--

--The science is overwhelmingly against anthropogenic climate change. Maybe not according to the Liberal media, but our polls definitely show it. And the American people definitely aren't buying that crap. We don't know where you guys keep pulling that '66%+' figure because we can assure you that no such majority exists.--

Acknowledging that their position becomes more out-of-step with America as a whole by the day would collapse that house of cards.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Politics are happening a lot. America is full of weirdos and dangerous sorts. You and I, the internet people, are hopefully less bad and can do something more substantial than say mean things to one another.

Let's all paint a school or something. Then we can laugh at politicians and stuff.

Seriously.

If people here devoted half the mental energy that they do to constantly getting into lovely games of intellectual limp biscuit with one another for pages to actually involving themselves in the political system, we'd have won back a state by now.

This thread should give homework out. An hour of phone banking for every two posts that contribute to a derail. Get the thread gassed and you have to run for city council.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

City councils are already a cluster gently caress without putting USPOLs finest on the ballot, though admitedly The Average USPOL poster probably wouldn't try to unmake the government through sheer force of will.

I'm going to have a very good story soon when this all plays out.

Even D&D's most intractable milkmen would probably make for public officials an order of magnitude more reasonable and competent, and equally less destructive, than a great many of the True Believers currently making decisions on city councils and boards of education and state senates across the country.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/trymainelee/status/708310127430860800

We're going to see a full-blown riot break out at a Trump rally any day now. He's outright advocating for violence and his supporters are happy to oblige.

This is why I think that this election needs to be more than just a simple win, it needs to be an outright repudiation and rejection of the values that Trump represents. People should be hitting the streets not just to rally for their candidates but to rally against Trump.

Anything else keeps the dogwhistle oiled and polished.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not gona lie, fishmech on a city council would be hilarious to behold.

I think he and I live in the same area.

That's not a guarantee that I'd vote for him or anything. For all that local politics in the Boston area are a hive of corruption, liberal values aren't exactly struggling for a voice here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

So is it looking like Cruz really isn't a big ol cheater? That's just :(

Dude, think about it. The world you're describing is one where multiple, multiple, women would have had to willingly have sex with Ted Cruz.

Every anecdote and detail about his life- be it from his most ardent supporters, his most damning detractors, or even the man himself and those closest to him points quite firmly in the opposite direction of anything resembling that explanation.

And even if it weren't so far-fetched, it's a dreadful thing to wish on somebody.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boon posted:

I once received a three day probation because I had the gall to suggest that Mumford & Sons was pretty cool and new band in a thread about cool and new bands.

Well it turns out that they were widely known by that point and I was only just hearing about them because I had lived the previous 8 months in a deployment-based media vacuum. As I was being hammered, I was informed that they were in fact playing the Grammy's.

So yeah, gently caress the Grammys.

ahahahahahahahaha that's perfect

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Rock history talk

There's a big difference between recognizing the lovely practices and circumstances that enabled the creation of something valuable while still appreciating its merit and using that value to excuse those practices.

The artifacts and ruins of ancient Egypt have a tremendous amount of cultural and aesthetic value, but their beauty and cultural importance don't wash away the fact that all of it was built on the toil and tortuous suffering of generations of slaves across millennia. We don't look at the pyramids today and think "well if we only enslaved a couple thousand people...."

Cultural appropriation and exchange helped create all of modern music but that doesn't mean that we should aspire to return to an era where music made by black artists couldn't be considered "appropriate" for white audiences without white performers or where musicians touring together had to stay in different hotels and got vastly different pay and treatment based on their skin color.

We can appreciate that Rock and Roll and its resulting progeny have enriched our lives immensely while still holding the recording industry, the government, and society accountable for the horribly hosed up things that shaped its history.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

The people who built the pyramids were devout and celebrated workers. The idea that slaves built them is based on the bible, not actual archeological evidence.

:rolleyes: I was talking about the army of slaves who performed myriad other labor tasks that kept Egyptian (and later Greek and Roman) society running. The pyramids were just a shorthand for that cultural legacy, my pedantic friend.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have a hard time believing that FIFA is as bad as the literal Mafia or the cartels who regularly have people murdered in gruesome fashion. The slave labor is more on the Qataris' hands than FIFA directly, but I still agree that FIFA deserved to be RICO'd.

https://youtu.be/DlJEt2KU33I

https://youtu.be/qr6ar3xJL_Q

http://youtu.be/rkdvawW6Vzw

There's a litany of others I think but I'm phone-posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

For the love of god, please stop saying this as though it is a given.

IDK dude, like a good ~70% of Americans have a negative opinion of the guy, up from 60% a few weeks ago. And this is before the Dems have really done any oppo campaigning against him.

Also the data from the poll I'm referring to predates the events of this past week, which almost seems to have been sent from heaven specifically to further trash his appeal among women of both political parties.

• Locked thread