Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Heh, the rats are fleeing the ship:

quote:

"You don’t win the nomination by how many states you win," Rubio insisted.

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TLM3101 posted:

Ahhhhhh, there it is. That feeling of pure, existential dread that I used to have in the 1980's after learning what nukes even were. So nostalgic, that feeling of never knowing when we all get wiped off the maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Yeah, contrary to popular belief the GOP establishment LOVES illegal immigration because it makes businesses and rich people money. In fact if you pay close attention to the way that they act you'll notice that they rarely, if ever, actually do things that will solve the problem. It's all either ineffective nonsense or blame-shifting from corporations to immigrants (Virtual border fence! Self-deportation!).

You can read a lot about this type of situation in William T Vollmann's Imperial, which digs deep into the immigration, farming, policing, and, poo poo, basically everything that's happened in south east California since the ice age until about 2005.

Definitely recommended reading for folks interested in the immigration situation in the US, but not written in a dry or technical or even weepy manner.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

The last census coincided with the 2010 tea party wave. Democrats picked a really lovely year to not show up at the polls.

Yes, yes they did. Possibly :nws:, unless your job is alright with poop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw41BDhI_K8

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dexo posted:

Seriously If I was as rich as the Jenner/Kardashians I would probably be a republican too.

But also aren't Kim and Kanye Clinton donors.

Kim is quite liberal, and donated quite a bit to help support gay marriage getting passed.

Which made it kind of mean when folks used her as a poster girl for the "Those jerk celebrities get tons of divorces and gays who love each other can't even get married once?!" argument.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

quote:

Subsequent media reports have tried to frame this case as one about “coddled” and “oversensitive” students; however, LET US BE CLEAR: We are not scared of the chalk. We are not mad about being politically challenged. We are rightfully angry because we also exercise our first amendment right to freedom of speech and there are people on this campus, and in this country, who as a result choose to threaten us and twist the truth to protect their own bigotry. Firstly, we are not asking that these students censor their politics, nor are we asking that administration chooses to intervene in student politics. Rather, what we are asking for is equality and equity -- we want a streamlined, consistent method of communication to deal with instances of unrest on Emory's campus. This means race, color and economic status should not determine whether or not the University needs to be prompted to send out a response of acknowledgement of events. Secondly, we ask the Emory University Student Body and individuals nationally to fight for our right of freedom of speech the way they have for Trump supporters.

How do you even respond to this.

I guess you could write "Hilary 2016" in chalk next to it?

If the goal of politics is to change minds and win people over to your side, you need to remain at least somewhat sympathetic and/or persuasive. Running and telling dad is neither of these. You aren't going to scare this sort of person into good behavior by talking to the dean. Have these people not seen Animal House? PCU? That one Futurama episode?

What do they actually want to happen? No one can write in favor of political candidates in public spaces? Everyone can write the name of their favored candidate in chalk on campus railings? The Trump supporters on campus are driven underground, afraid to make public statements of support?

I agree with their sentiment, and I hate Trump, but what is the actual, tangible goal being sought after here? What constitutes an instance of unrest that Emory would send out notices about? If chalk on a railing is enough, I can only imagine how much they'll be sending out every day. How will they be fighting for the freedom of speech? Donations to the ALA? Hiring lobbyists? Supporting an open access architecture to help attempt to supplant the reliance on money when it comes to expression? Big ideas are nice as a set of guidelines, but you have to do something with them...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

bird cooch posted:

I just dont understand why all these scared cops aren't macing and tazing the poo poo outta everybody. Why is non-lethal force such a non-starter? They have that whole batman belt of gadgets and yet you always see the video of the cop unloading on some poor guy for looking shady while pulling up his pants. Taze 'em! Mace them! If you have been through OC or tazer training you know how effective it is.

Or do cops get to skip that too?

Edit: my phone posting is really screwed

There are folks out there who are immune to tasers, and thus you need to shoot to kill (or so the story goes. :nms: Here is a police training video of a taser not working on a mentally ill man, who then proceeds to fight his way out of police custody while being handcuffed, injuring both officers. He died on the way to the hospital. It's not pleasant viewing, to say the least). Which brings into question why they have them in the first place, what sort of tactics are being used, why certain people are police officers in the first place, etc.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

haveblue posted:

How does this even work? What level of mental illness makes you immune to electrical disruption of your nervous system?

I honestly could not tell you, but I have heard this from multiple police officers I know, and have seen multiple videos wherein it happens. I can think of many reasons (faulty gun, bad batteries, contacts did not both connect, short in the wire, person was wearing a heavy jacket and there was no skin penetration, etc.), but I'm really not sure how someone could be immune to 50,000 volts.

Here are a bunch of cops being tased at a police convention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avAH49NY_iY

At about 2 minutes in, the first time the guy who keeps coming probably does so because one of the contacts is caught in his jeans, not hitting skin or anything, and thus the circuit can't complete. No idea about the 2nd time.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

You just print out a bunch of them with the names and dates blank, but already have them pre-signed.

Shhhh! Don't give out the secrets of The Campus! Jack Ryan Jr. will come after you!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Talmonis posted:

In the latest "god dammit college kids, stop making progressive issues look stupid" news; Black woman accuses white man of cultural appropriation for having dreadlocks.

I'm glad we're presenting the Right with an inverted Sophie's choice whether to support dirty hippies or Black activists.

(I know their answer will just be "Liberals, right?")

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Orrr... you could just give black artists the credit and success they deserve, and then let white artists start imitating them from that standpoint.

'Cultural appropriation' is a term in contrast with 'cultural exchange'. White people performing black people's art or adopting black people's dress isn't the problem, it's doing it in a way that marginalises, erases, and fucks over the original creators.

Elvis, in Jet magazine, 1957 posted:

'A lot of people seem to think I started this business. But rock n roll was here a long time before I came along' [...] 'Nobody can sing that kind of music like colored people'.

'Let's face it: I can't sing like Fats Domino can. I know that'.

Elvis was quite uncomfortable being called the "King of Rock n' Roll", and wanted that title applied to Domino instead.

Consider another case: Mary Poppins(1964) is one of the most beloved movies of all time, and often cited as Walt Disney's best film. It won multiple Academy awards the year it was released, and is included in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

The book is based on a novel by P.L. Travers, and she hated the film, loathed it completely and utterly. She found the animated sequences ridiculous, she hated the way that Mr. Banks was portrayed, and thought it was over all a complete travesty. The film also features Dick van Dyke performing one of the worst cockney accents in history, in addition to many other caricatures of English life and society. It would be a stretch to call the film reverential in its portrayal of the English; quaint and absurd is more like it. It took many years before Travers would consent to any other adaptations of her work, and she agreed to the now running musical on the condition that only English-born writers, and no Americans, be involved in the creative process.

Is this film culturally appropriative of English culture by an American film studio? Do Traver's objections to what was done to her work matter more than those of the critics, moviegoers, and children who have enjoyed the film for the past 50 years? Does it affect your answer to know that Disney is planning to film a sequel to the original Mary Poppins? Is putting "Based on the Mary Poppins novels by P.L. Travers" in the opening credits enough?

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't worry, J.K. Rowling is getting revenge with her upcoming movie(?) based on the US's wizard world which includes some Peter Pan-grade Native American caricatures.

Dang, really?

It needs to be, like, a bunch of guys in leather jackets and rolled up jeans eating hamburgers on their motorcycles and classic cars, and who get their magic from their magic guns (no wands) and cowboy hats.

• Locked thread