Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Scott DesJarlais, the pro-life congressman who pressured his wife and mistress into having multiple abortions, has officially endorsed Trump.

He's like catnip to the absolute worst assholes on earth.

Off the top of my head he snagged Chris Christie, Jean-Marie Le Pen, Kris Kobach, Jan Brewer, Joe Arpaio, Jeff 'Beauregard' Sessions, Paul LePage, and Sarah Palin. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but holy poo poo it's human garbage all the way down.

David Duke, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

To put it bluntly, you're the idiot here.

If he gets sick he goes bankrupt or dies. Paying for "bronze" (or even gold!) insurance on the exchange doesn't change that, since it still requires something ridiculous like 50-60% of his gross salary in total costs.

You pay 10% of your income and get nothing for the first $2500 of medical care. Then you have to pay some massive percentage of whatever it costs after that? That's not insurance, it's a tax on stupid people.

Go. Go to the exchange. Read the coverage he'd be getting, then come back here with a straight face and tell him that it's worth it.

If he gets sick and has healthcare, he may go bankrupt but at least he will get the care he needs first. A bank isn't going to give you a 6 figure loan to pay off hospital fees and if he can't pay the hospital will kick him out unless there's an urgent life-threatening condition. Also he'll get out of debt much sooner if he only owes 30% or so of that six-figure bill.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Again, it's really strange that people focus on the insurance companies. I guess because that's who they deal with directly.

It's not that strange when you consider sometimes insurance companies act like they're in the healthcare-prevention business

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Crotch posted:

... how did that come to be the case? If it takes a census to change things, and things are hosed and Bad, did things get hosed with the last census? If so, can you actually rely on the next census to unfuck things? If not, then by what mechanism cometh the loving?

If the next census has any chance to unfuck our gerrymandered states, rest assured Republicans will do what they can to cripple the census process. This also goes for some Dems who could get ruined by redistricting.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fojar38 posted:

So at this point Hillary Clinton is virtually guaranteed the Presidency so long as she doesn't literally die before the election

Two scenarios for you:

1) El Cid
2) Weekend At Bernie's

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Taerkar posted:

drat, I didn't think he was that evil!

He's also extremely hawkish

edit: redundant post, a billion people already pointed this out on the last page

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 24, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's hard to know without being there but I'm not sure I buy that this was race-based discrimination. Feel the same way about the squarespace post.

It relies on the argument that others weren't drinking and weren't being forced out of the bar, which is hard to substantiate simply because those others didn't have drinks in their hands at the exact time the lawyers were kicked out, I'm inclined to believe them however when they were the only blacks and were specifically targeted

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

McDowell posted:

In a completely individualist / Thatcherite world everyone is a minority in themselves - they want to be self-defined and completely autonomous. In truth are all bound to this earth and each other - this time and place - the ultimate 'thing' that is creation, the cosmos. We seem to create hell for ourselves - why?

It is the folly of man. In his essay The Myth of Sisyphus Camus tells us that we must learn to love our personal hells to liberate ourselves. Embrace the Trump and achieve self-actualization.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I'm not sure that I follow your logic, in that regular crashes in the real estate market coupled with stagnating wages is solved by reducing property taxes on someone that, again, owns an asset valued in the hundreds of thousands.

Since, you know, they can always sell the house worth a quarter million that they cannot now afford the $200/month taxes on during these semi-annual crashes or whatever. Oh no, the value of my house is rising faster than my marginal wage! Cry me a loving river.

If you're trying to argue that the middle class needs these protections, then fine, make that argument. But "take pity on these poor poor owners of land in a major city" is an awful argument that just makes you sound like you're testy about paying your $200/month taxes. Taxes that directly pay for things like your local schools.

It's also worth noting that the biggest opponents of property tax tend to be landlords; another group that just reeks of empathy for tax relief.

The problem isn't that the house value goes up and the owner can't afford the taxes, but rather when the bubble bursts and the house value plummets. The owner will still be paying higher taxes and won't be able to sell his house at a worthwhile price because the market is depressed at that time (other middle-class homeowners are in the same boat). Combine higher property taxes, lower wages and no buyers for the house and you get people being ruined by their property taxes.

Also, "taking pity on poor owners of land in a major city" is not bullshit like you think it is because when homeowners get no relief their houses go for pennies on the dollar to the wealthy, and then those former homeowners will become permanent renters which is terrible for the middle class, the economy and everyone other than the slumlords writ large who own the land.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mrit posted:

Except property taxes get reassessed every year.

True, but that process can be difficult for a couple of reasons, one of which is that if no houses sell in your neighborhood its hard to prove how much value your home has lost, another is if your local gov't is more concerned about maintaining tax revenue than being fair to homeowners. Even 6 months of paying overly high taxes on a freshly reduced income can devastate people.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Except that in the real world you can typically apply for a hardship deferral or other temporary relief in a situation like that, depending on your local laws (assuming that you aren't just assessed annually). Or, since you're a responsible homeowner, you can walk over to the nearest bank and leverage the equity in your home to cover you during this dire situation of not being able to afford that property tax that might cost as much as a week's groceries for your household each month.

Property owners simply aren't victims here. And claiming that these economic problems can be solved by crippling the state's ability to collect property tax, which again, pays for many things that the embattled middle class desperately needs more of, is certainly not a solution.

In some places (like NJ where I used to live) you can end up paying well over a grand per month in taxes on a starter home. Apart from that I must admit you know more about this stuff than I do so I'll shut up now.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Trevor Hale posted:

Didn't all the SuperPACs start donating to the also-rans? Weren't they propping up lovely candidates just to keep them around?

I remember reading in D&D that Republican candidates donated to Fiorina to keep her in the race in order to attack Clinton; Fiorina had almost no fundraising on her own. When she started to poll too well for comfort the other candidates stopped funding her. I have no idea if this is actually true, but the unexplained half mil donation fits that narrative.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aerox posted:

If it came out that the Carly payout was in fact related to an affair, that would also be a flagrant violation of the whole "candidates can't coordinate with Super PACs" law, right?

No, it's only a violation if you communicate with a SuperPAC supporting you

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/11/02/how_candidates_and_their_super_pacs_coordinate_through_the_media.html

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DeathSandwich posted:

That's the point we're getting at. The thing people are working toward after the NE story dropped is that the Ted Cruz' Keep The Promise SuperPac paid $500,000 to Fiorina's campaign at Cruz's behest. It would be insanely hard to get a "non-coordinating" SuperPAC to pay out your dirty hush money if it came through public "non-cooperation" channels that the candidates regularly use.

Oh I see what you mean now, the violation was between Cruz and Keep The Promise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

gondolas only really make sense where you have a lot of significant elevation changes, because the downside of a gondola is that it's really low throughput (only so many people can fit in those cars) and imagine being stuck in one of those when the system breaks. now imagine you're stuck in there with a drunk bum

On the plus side, low gondolas are less susceptible to hot-dogging fighter jock impacts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalese_cable_car_disaster_(1998)

• Locked thread