Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

letter from upper class people to FT explaining why they back Trump

You know who else was a right wing populist demagogue who was elevated by the elites because he was seen as a more controllable and less offensive member of his party?

George W. Bush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lemming posted:

I still can't loving believe this is a real person's name lmao

His ex-wife is Gay Otter.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Cruz and Trump are different kinds of evil. Cruz is Palpatine while Trump is more like Mussolini.

Cruz is holding his Texas victory party at a racist redneck bar

quote:

Cruz's decision to use Berry's club as his election watch party venue comes as no surprise as Cruz and Berry have been friends for "over twenty years." Berry's radio show -- The Michael Berry Show -- is often packed with racially inflammatory language. The host has referred to black people as "jungle animals" and often mocks black victims of Chicago's gun violence. He regularly rejects civil rights advocacy and once said in response to the Black Lives Matter movement, "the dirty little secret is black people don't believe that black lives matter." The host also often hosts a blackface comedian, whose stage name is "Shirley Q. Liquor," to portray racist stereotypes of African-American women.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Radbot posted:

I think it's hilarious that progressive Democrats aren't going to take the literal perfect opportunity to run a progressive candidate, and will for some reason put Clinton up against a Trump. Great job Clinton caucusgoers.

Yeah, that makes total sense.
::somewhere, deep in the DNC fortress::
"Hey look, Trump is the undeniable frontrunner after Super Tuesday."
"Stunning. We had put our support behind Clinton with the expectation that we'd be fighting a Bush/Rubio ticket but now... Now we can run anyone."
"Okay, let's call up Keith Ellison and ask if he's busy for the rest of the year"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr Hootington posted:

Nobody called it because the serious people are so far up their asses that they couldn't see the wave building.

If instead of laughing at all the angry, racist, poor people they had listened. They might have seen this coming.

Everyone saw the wave building which is why we were worried about Ted Cruz.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vorebane posted:

I think everyone missed this. Satire will never catch up to America ever again.

quote:

Legal and child psychology experts ridiculed Weil’s assertions, noting that key milestones for 3- and 4-year-olds include cooperating with other children, saying simple sentences and building towers of blocks.

:drat:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Teddybear posted:

A fun side effect of the Trump candidacy: USCIS math! There are eight months to the election. It takes about five months to process a citizenship application.

I always enjoy reading things that contradict Republican claims that anti-immigrant rhetoric won't hurt them with legal immigrants and in fact legal immigrants will vote for Republicans because they waited their turn in line and support Republican law and order.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gonzo McFee posted:

Guess which region is just as hosed if not more so in 2016 as it was in 2008.

The Earth?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It very emphatically did not work in 2012.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tigntink posted:

Grew up a mile from the MS state line in TN. Cant say im even a tiny bit surprised. Name recognition is crazy in those parts.

Well that and poor black people love Hillary.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was a theory that there were actually more conservative voters than "mainstream" polling indicated, either because of an unintentional flaw in the polling models, or because the mainstream pollsters were deliberately manipulating the media to make the Dems look good.

So someone put up an unskewed polls website, which took existing polls, shifted them several points towards the GOP, and then called those the real/actual numbers.

It was complete bullshit, but it was amusing for how utterly deluded they made the conservative pundits look.

His methods were sound!

quote:

The conservative activist who gained a following during last year's campaign for his efforts to "unskew" polls has a theory on why his predictions for the election were so wildly off the mark, writing late last month that his analysis was incomplete because he did not consider the purported voter fraud and voter suppression efforts that he claimed were integral to President Barack Obama's victory.

Dean Chambers, the founder of UnSkewedPolls.com, wrote in a piece on Examiner.com that the "Obama Regime definitely won the election" by suppressing votes from would-be supporters of Mitt Romney and committing "massive voter fraud in the key swing states" – although he offered no evidence for either claim.

"I was only wrong in those projections because I was not aware nor did I calculate in the voter fraud and the voter suppression, both of which exceeded the margin by which Barack Obama was declared the winner of that election last Fall," Chambers wrote.

It wasn't the first time Chambers floated such a theory. Shortly after last year's election, he launched a new website — BarackOFraudo.com — in which he alleged that the President did not legitimately carry Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Florida.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Nancy wasn't some bimbo. She was smarter and much more political than Reagan and orchestrated his entire political career. After a brief dalliance with communism she turned hard to the right, and the Republican Party has scarcely had a more hateful and vitriolic string-puller than her. Barbara Bush is famously acid-tongued but Nancy had Nixonian levels of scheming, paranoia, and vindictiveness. Don'tet the bouffant fool you.

Is this something that's actually reliably sourced?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

If you're going to bring race into the equation, it's more because he did extremely well among whites, who are 70% of the Michigan people. Like yeah, losing 65-35 instead of 85-15 helped, but he still lost by massive margins.

Also interesting quirk because of that - According to the CNN exit poll, Bernie only won people who made between $30k and $100k. This might sound like most everyone, but it was only ~54% of the voter demographic. Hillary outright won the <$30k group, more than she did the >$100k group.

So you're saying that economic populism is extremely popular among middle class white people?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Wookums posted:

conditions for cows back when pasteurization began were terrible even by today's standards. Cows literally living in sewage in cities.

I trust you only eat well cooked meat and eggs too.

Yes, I make sure to cook to an internal temperature of at least 145°F for meat, which corresponds roughly to "medium rare." Your point is what?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:dogbutton:

How the everloving gently caress does a person have access to HF and not know how horribly dangerous it is?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil Fluffy posted:

So am I the only one in this thread who doesn't pay for bad WaPo articles or are you all bypassing the paywall and that's why you keep linking their articles?

I honestly had no idea WaPo had a paywall. I've never run into it. NYT has their "you've reached your limit on free articles" which is bypassed by clearing cache and cookies but I really don't know what I've done to never see WaPo's paywall.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dexo posted:

The thing I will say, is that Obama did manage to bring out more of the Black vote than usually votes.

I'm curious if that same turnout happens when Clinton wins the nomination.

Black voter turnout for Obama vs Kerry was only about a 4% difference.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Followed by her curb stomping the next doofus the GOP nominates in 2020. Followed by gerrymandering returning to the democratic party.

Don't see how Clinton's presidency is going to change the state legislatures.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

the one where people respect the dead even if they were shitheads?

Respecting the dead doesn't mean telling the opposite of reality about them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just checked around on all of the main pages for every national news website and I don't see any of that. They are all neutral and even pro-protestor leaning. The CNN sub headline is still about the Trump supporter who threatened to kill that black guy. And the main photo on CBS News is a Trump supporter literally wearing an American flag as a cape choke holding a black guy.

Surprised it isn't a Confederate flag cape.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fknlo posted:

loving :lol: if you think he has anything to do with that outside of writing checks to a landscaping company.

He's wealthy, retired, and White. He's pretty much the portrait of someone who thinks that lawn maintenance is a pleasant hobby.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

How does one get a negative post count? :confused:

Post in FYAD.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

I forgot, what were the issues with Rand?

Republicans aren't, for the most part, libertarian. As Trump has shown, at least a third of them have no actual political beliefs at all and simply support hate and strong men. And as for the rest of them, Rand's tendency to do things like praise due process for terror suspects is not what Republicans like about libertarianism. They just like the part where they don't pay taxes or let blacks and gays into their business.

e: to cite Reason (lol)

quote:

Right now, people don't want liberty. They may want a sense of freedom for themselves, but aren't willing to endure their neighbor's freedom. Modern Americans will sacrifice their own rights to wield control over others. If you doubt that, attend your town's next planning commission meeting. For freedom to reign, the culture must change, and a political campaign is not going to do that.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 12, 2016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ghetto Prince posted:

Wow, we really don't need someone to make Donald Trump a loving martyr.

True, although it would be worse to make him a president.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Is is supposed to be a big scandal that left wing groups have the ability to organize a protest?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Neil Degrasse Tyson: "sex is good and enjoyable"

Average Goon: "this is extremely problematic"

Crazy poo poo like traumatic insemination is one of those "stranger than fiction" things in biology that is way more interesting than a lame joke.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McDowell posted:

Hillary Clinton is unelectable.

So are Sanders, Trump, Cruz, and Rubio. Therefore nobody will be elected this fall.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fknlo posted:

What happens to the crossover support between Trump and Sanders if their supporters are literally attacking each other? Suicides? The scene from Liar Liar where Jim Carrey beats himself up in the bathroom?

The crossover support consists of people who post "those clowns in Congress" memes on Facebook and don't actually get out and vote much less attend rallies or protests.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Imaginary GF posted:

Trump says what he really believes, at the moment when he believes it. Trump sees beliefs as a tactic to be used to advance his strategy of making America great again by getting himself elected President.

He is the American Caesar.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Epic High Five posted:

Trump owns a bunch of golf courses, why is he making GBS threads all over golf?

I mean it's boring and dumb and an enormous environmental boondoggle in 90% of the places they get built, but I figured it had an ally in Trump

Because he will say whatever he thinks his audience will eat up at any given moment regardless of what he believes, thinks, knows, has said, or will say in the next or previous 4 hours.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

You stated that:

- Stuff was way worse back in the day

- You can tell because a labor movement existed then

The conclusion therefore is that labor movements only exist when things are at some sufficiently bad point (which we aren't at now).

What I'm saying is that there are outside factors other than "how much people are suffering" that make labor movements viable. One example is the contrast between Europe and the US - Europe is more comfortable (at least in certain respects) *and* they have a labor movement.

Does Europe actually have a labor movement or do they have a comfortable status quo between labor and capital?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh she will get the nom but it'll be the least-enthused convention you've ever seen.

To my knowledge Hillary has never seen her poll numbers increase in any race she's run. She's got all the charisma of a dessicated eggplant.

I think she will win vs. Trump but with poor coattails and she could easily end up a four year president.

I don't think anyone running has a good chance at a second term.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Whoever said the thread title should be hair apparent was right
USPOL - March of the Hair Apparent

I'm not sure that you get the joke:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_as_a_March_hare

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xanderkish posted:

Compare them to Trump's stuff, though, and I suspect that, despite certain media narratives, Trump will come off looking the worse to most observers. I mean, he already does. Protesting sets precedent for future political action, makes visible the opposition, and places social and political pressure on the group being protested, making it clear to onlookers this is not okay and there are consequences to Trump's rhetoric and climate.

I could be wrong, of course, and maybe this will work against the protestors. But from what I've seen, protests empower the opposition that is protesting more than they just draw attention to Trump. I mean hell, Trump is already a magnet for attention. These protests are just changing the tone of some of that attention.

Also they haven't broken out the giant papier-mache puppets so we're still good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spacetoaster posted:

Did you see the thread on that fake rape case at the University of Virginia? The goalposts there had rocket packs.

Seriously though, what's wrong with what I said? Trump is an idiot who offered to pay another idiot's legal fees for punching a dude. I didn't even know about it, but I did look it up and read it. I haven't seen him offering to pay anybody else's legal fees if they do violence for him.

If you'd be so kind as to point it out plainly, I'll run with it like everyone else seems to be.

It's been pointed out like ten times already

quote:

"So if you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of him, would you?" he told a crowd in Iowa in February. "Seriously, okay, just knock the hell. I promise you, I will pay for the legal fees; I promise, I promise."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spacetoaster posted:

Well, he might be intelligent. But come on, to say things that are so different?

"I want you to beat people up." then "I don't condone violence."

If I were being charitable I'd say there is a brain to mouth interface problem. Although that is hilarious to watch.

His supporters don't notice or don't care that nothing he says is honest or consistent so

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Amergin posted:

Why do poor whites give a poo poo about academic vernacular?

Nobody outside of ____ studies cares about that definition, actually. Rich, poor, white, black, etc.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Brown Menace posted:

This is one of those things which makes Trump more appealing.

If you're a moron who thinks that "accelerationism" is a good idea, maybe.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

silvergoose posted:

I would guess that he meant more appealing "to the people Trump appeals to anyway).

Okay.
In that case, morons of every sort would think it's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

That's strange, because I could've sworn government funded media was so much better than everything else.

Sadly it is.

• Locked thread