Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amergin posted:

None of them know nor care who Newt Gingrich is.

They'll definitely have heard the name and probably can connect it to the mid-1990's anti-Clinton crusade.

Fried Chicken posted:

David Frum is attacking Clinton for supporting the Iraq War and saber-rattling at Iran.

I am entirely too sober for this poo poo

Fuckin' :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Newt Gingrich for Secretary of the Interior.

No irony. I want this man gushing about baby ocelots and then they bring in a baby moose and it's 5 feet tall already and he calms it with his nature talk and it's the best segment on all of the Sunday shows (just straight up it's 10:50 let's go to Newt) and politics don't matter.

If I were president, I would appoint Newt as an ambassador for the National Zoo without reservation. Him shaking the trees with conservative donors to fund primate studies and endangered species conservation would be a wonderful use of his time and their money.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

There is an alternate reality where, instead of studying history and writing about how colonialism and genocide are good and then going into congress and devastating the country, instead young Newton became an entertainer and ended up hosting a Bill Nye/Jack Hanna style science show on Saturday morning television. "Your Pal Newt!" Inspired a generation to study biology, physics, and chemistry instead of chasing a quick buck, to dream of zoos, natural parks, and moon bases instead of apps, hedge funds, and banking.

Yet another piece of proof that we live in the worst timeline.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

So what's the chances that Rubio is done after tonight? By that I mean, after Florida on the 15th, but figuratively after tonight.

The fight tonight is probably going to be a fight for 2nd place. Trump will place first, and whomever places 2nd gets the party's full backing and resources while they try desperately to keep Trump from getting the nod. 3rd place is forced to suspend their campaign and fucks off to whine about it on cable TV.

Edit: Norm Coleman is an opportunistic slimebag, but even democrats concede that he did a Great Good Thing by bringing NHL hockey back to Minnesota.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Troy Queef posted:

Norm Green is a motherfucker.

(That's not an opinion, that's a statement of fact.)

You want to watch people from America's Canada turn from friendly provincials to "The Hills Have Eyes" in about 10 seconds? Say something nice about Norm Green.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Welcome to Trumpbama's America. Teenager was walking with his brother-in-law in Huntington Beach, speaking Arabic. Someone in a car calls him "obamabam," they turn violent for no reason, he gets stabbed twice, and then the three people in the car (including an Illinois cop) speed away.

From the look of the perps and the description of the attack, I'd guess that it was a toxic combination of racism and meth.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
As far as hitting that sweet spot on the venn diagram between incompetent/stupid/crazy, you can't beat Paul LePage.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yoshifan823 posted:

Are there any Rs that aren't terrible? Or any Ds that are particularly great. I know Jerry Brown is pretty cool, who else isn't terrible.

Post about your governors ITT

I'll go to bat for my gov. Dayton's a pig-headed mush mouth who picks dumb fights with the legislature, but the state is doing great compared to our neighbors and the fights that he picks (all day pre-k, higher minimum wage) are for good things.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

My governor once got chased by a bear, while naked. He's not standing for re-election, supposedly for unrelated reasons. :tinfoil:

Caddyshack-style shenanigans make me more likely to vote for a pol, under the theory that I'll eventually get the Senator Blutovsky that I really want.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Did you guys know that she was black and also talked about black people stuff in her books? Might not be a real American, you never can tell.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Caucus trip report: my district is a bunch of weird-looking white people. More beards than people of color here tonight by a wide margin.

Same in MN, but add bikes w/winter tires.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
McDowell, take a Soma, two Vicodin, and drink a beer. Your life and posting will both improve.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe Trump getting elected will stop the DNC from blatantly railroading through corporate candidates in the future.

Nah.

Trump getting elected would push the Dems to the right.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WHOOPS posted:

Hard to imagine it not being Julian Castro.

I've actually heard some dark horse rumblings about Gen. Stanley McChrystal. He's one of the only strong democrats who was in the upper ranks of the military establishment and the Clintons have always liked to try to get military brass who are democrats into politics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Texas always amazes me by digging up politicians who are somehow consistently worse than the last worst guy. Here I was thinking that Cruz and Abbott were the alpha and omega of Texas awfulness, but nope.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

You have to admit he makes a good match for Hillary.

Too much Northeast and Jersey's already in her pocket.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

What evidence does Kennedy want?

He wants to kick abortion back down the ladder for another year so that SCOTUS can consider it with a full 9-member panel.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Radbot posted:

Are they, if the people living under them self-report to be happier (with longer lives, even)?

We should all be so lucky to live under the enlightened rule of Philosopher-Kings.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

I mean even the original one almost devolved into a Civil War (hyperbole, but not by much).

Considering that the only military force available was almost fanatically loyal to George Washington, the possibility of an actual war was remote. But the delegates loving up and not actually coming up with a workable Constitution? That was definitely a possibility.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gohmak posted:

Has Hillary given an explanation for setting up a private email server?

To avoid the FOIA and to dodge the problem of all of her personal correspondence being archived as a historical record. Colin Powell admitted to doing similar things and I assume that Condi Rice did too.

Powell's non-classified personal address was a hotmail account. It was literally something like cpowell@hotmail.com

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

People, including most of us, simply didn't believe that the polls were accurate until we had some actual elections to confirm them. Even then they way overstated his standing in IA.

I thought they were accurate, but I also thought that his support would melt away when we got to actual primary election season.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure that Hillary is going to win. Even if the GOP manages to derail Trump's candidacy, they're left with what? Cruz, whom the base might rally around but who's as likable to your average American as a piece of poo poo on their toast, and Rubio who I just can't see rallying the base after this primary season.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gravel Gravy posted:

Who else does the GOP have to trot out still though?

Not much of anyone. Democrats have several widely revered figures who can make a case for or against a candidate (Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Obama, Joe Biden) but the right is so fractured that it's hard to find one guy who can speak to all Republicans. Mittens is pretty much it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

They can still bring out McCain and Bob Dole! They're still alive and kicking right?

Bob Dole couldn't even scrape up enough juice to get the goddamn Senate to pass a purely symbolic treaty which enshrined the US Disabilities Act into international law. No one in the GOP gives a straight gently caress about Bob Dole.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

Save us Romney-sama :ohdear:

Let's just say Romney runs. How the hell is he supposed to pick up enough delegates this late in the game? Romentum as his boring rear end sweeps every last state?

Since he's not endorsing another candidate, my guess is that he wants to be the compromise choice at a brokered convention.

Mitt still thinks that Americans want another shot at President Mitt.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The force ghost of Reagan, realized through a Tupac-esque hologram?

Already been done.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Talmonis posted:

:shrug: Don't look at me man, I'm no fan of 80's era MBAs.

Every single one of them watched Wall Street and took the wrong lesson to heart.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

This is all completely at odds with the schooling I got, and I graduated just 3 years ago. Mine could be summed up as "slash and burn, and when it comes time to sift through the ashes use the disabled because you don't have to pay them minimum wage". Our ethics seminars (a single day of a speaker once a semester rather than a course) had gems such as "Gov. Ryan was right to sell those drivers licenses because he had an obligation to promote commerce in the state" (ignore it was bribery that got people killed). "Enron's activities were ethically grey, only got condemned because they failed" (because they had an obligation to their shareholders and that balances it out, had they been profitable it all would have been ok) and "Arthur Anderson was innocent and their company was destroyed by democrats playing politics" (because the SCOTUS found a procedural mistake in how the case was handled; this was presented as the Supreme Court exonerated them but by then it was too late and that poor poor company had been destroyed by market hating liberals)

Not to pry, but did you go to U of Chiggity or was it just every instructor in your business school who did?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/705515875487641601

Any ballpark estimates of the number of injured or dead at the convention if they actually have the stones to try this?

The party might lurch on like a zombie powered by sheer force of Clinton-hate, but by 2024 the divisions will cause a major crack-up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
They have no idea what they're doing. The party apparatus has never had to deal with a situation like a possible Trump nomination and they're all running around like drunk firemen trying to snuff out a hurricane of fire (Infernocane!) with buckets of whiskey.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm fine with Cruz as the nominee. He's slightly more electable than Trump, but only slightly. I agree that Rubio's campaign is fatally wounded barring a massive showing on the 15th.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KiteAuraan posted:

Wow Fox is actually hitting Trump hard and tearing down his lies. Hard questions and journalistic integrity, from loving Fox. I mean, I know it's all because of their feud with him but still, drat.

This is FOX's last hail mary for their friends in the GOP before they give up and go full-Trump. They only do actual journalism in service to gutter motives.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gohmak posted:

Why is the thread title not about Trumps yuuuge cock?

We prefer not to be constantly reminded of it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Another barely mediocre jobs report: UE holds at 4.9%, 242k jobs created, 530k gain in household employment, 0.2% increase in labor force participation, trade deficit up to 45.7 bln, exports drop (4th straight month), hourly earnings down 3 cents

Look to VSPs claiming this validates the Fed's rate hike and calling for more. On NOR this morning one tool was already gloating they need to hike "3 or 4 more times"

Guys on Marketplace this morning said that the number of jobs was good, but that they thought that the overall crappiness of the jobs and wage stagnation meant that there shouldn't be a rate hike until at least mid-summer if not later. I'm inclined to agree, this economy is definitely not soaring.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Perennial underpreforming nobody Gary Johnson.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

In which Bobby Jindal (who's busily ducking responsibility for leaving his state's finances in shambles) opines that Donald Trump is Obama's fault

President Obama doesn’t get enough credit for his accomplishments. I know this because he often tells us it is so. I happen to agree that he doesn’t get enough credit. No, not for slowing the rise of the oceans or healing the planet, as he immodestly claimed he would, even before taking office. He has succeeded handsomely, though, in living up to his vow to be a transformative president, like Ronald Reagan, and not an incremental one in the Bill Clinton mold. Mr. Obama has accomplished many changes—they just aren’t the ones we were waiting for.

Mr. Obama has alienated allies like Israel while encouraging adversaries like Iran and Cuba. He has fostered Americans’ record-breaking dependence on government programs and record-low participation in the workforce. He has expanded the power, size and expense of the federal government in unprecedented ways, all at the expense of Americans’ freedom, standard of living and economic well-being.

But the president truly doesn’t get enough credit for creating one of the most polarizing forces in American politics today. No, not Hillary—that is more Bill’s doing. Let’s be honest: There would be no Donald Trump, dominating the political scene today if it were not for President Obama.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

My Linux Rig posted:

Can't wait to see how many would be Democrat voters abandon their vote after Bernie loses the candidacy.

About as many as abandoned their vote after Hillary didn't get the nod in 2008, which is not very many.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

After the first 2012 debate you probably could've made a mint selling D&D prepper equipment.

Between that and the post-debate polls I was so depressed that I couldn't listen to the news for almost a week.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Go all in or go home :shrug:

The trouble with betting the house is that you can lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HelloSailorSign posted:

It was a good theory to entertain, however links between Zika and microcephaly are growing.

Zika has also been recently found in a different species of mosquito (aedes alboticus, instead of aedes egypti), one that lives in much more of the USA. See their ranges here: http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/resources/vector-control.html

This is why I live where the air hurts my face.

• Locked thread