Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Naet posted:

If Clinton wins then we'll have four years of gridlock, so I'm going to vote for the short fingered orange man because going backward is better than standing still. he'll run the government like a business!

Got a little more specific there for you because

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This is what the electorate really believes.

Got treated to an earful about our national deficit this weekend from another very smart family member who doesn't understand economics.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

It was a pretty great segment. Takes you back to the days when no one knew or cared who the Daily Show was and wouldn't bother to prevaricate in interviews.

Don't forget her "remember the 2010 election?" clip! So good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw41BDhI_K8

Oh god five years of this BS whyyyy :qq:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I really wish there was something else I could post about US politics that wasn't primary-related so I could trick you into clicking a link to extremely important political information. :sigh:

EDIT: Also Al Franken at 102nd place overall? Truly the mighty really have fallen.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 1, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Deserved retribution for making us all sad with your Newt-alternate-future story :colbert:

Radbot posted:

Should I bother caucusing for the first time in Colorado tonight?

Just do it, and then post a Trip Report because Caucuses are Fun!

EDIT: But seriously, if you have the opportunity to participate in democracy, you should, always. :911:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Let's dispel the notion that caucuses are fun, they aren't fun.

If you find them fun, become a politician because your brain works differently than mine.

For the participants, maybe, but I just enjoy reading the Goon posts about whatever new form of chaos has erupted this time that somehow leaves the fate of the precinct in the hands of a coin flip.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Talmonis posted:

I'm putting way too much thought into this Sexycongress.net thing.

Explaining to the air around you exactly why you're choosing one over the other is half the fun, really.

Also now I have crushes on Martin Heinrich and Kirsten Gillibrand that I know will never be fulfilled :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Boon posted:

So what's the chances that Rubio is done after tonight? By that I mean, after Florida on the 15th, but figuratively after tonight.

There's a very good chance he won't take a single state tonight, and I think the muttering about :fork: ness will start to intensify dramatically after then.

But actually ending? Rubio has a decent chance at Florida and Arizona, and he'll try to keep the Marcomentum rolling after that. FC is right that they'll almost certainly just keep pushing all the way to the end, given that Rubio will want to stay in contention for the possibility of getting chosen at a brokered convention.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

I have spent far too much time on this site in the last ten minutes.

Don't forget to check out the custom stat pages for each Congresscritter! Like his life in general Rubio can only ever get as high as second place. :mrgw:

Also USPOL has the weirdest FoodChat

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I dunno. Reading a book on the meetings Hitler had and he reassured (himself) that "America would never be Rome." It would be his Germany and his ideals. So the irony that his war and his death allowed the USA to become the next Rome is pretty loving awesome.

You know, aside from the millions dying.

Literally everything about Hitler's life seems as though it was meant to allow him to allllmost achieve his goals and then destroy them and him so completely that he ends up accomplishing the opposite of what he wanted to accomplish. (Although we have a lot of humans to thank for making sure that happened, of course.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Their party, their rules. They can just keep on moving the goalposts to force a brokered convention if they really want to go down that path.

As I understand it.

Realistically they can't do that without triggering a Trump 3rd party candidacy, though.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just want the GOP to do whatever they have to to steal the nomination from Trump so that he proceeds to run independent and throw the entire conservative movement into a death spiral.

Trust me, we're already there :getin:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kro-Bar posted:

Probably accurate! The state school I went to required an 18 on the ACT to get in, but you can go to an affiliated juco and get in with a 13.

For those of you who don't know what that means, scoring an 18 means you scored in the 35th percentile, scoring a 13 means you scored around the 8th percentile, a 20 is about the national average. There are already plenty of state universities that accept significantly lower than average scores, but scoring below a 10 basically disqualifies you from all but the shadiest of 4-year universities. But anyone can still go to community college and/or learn a trade and also test scores are stupid :unsmith:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Privately run cram schools where kids work themselves to death to make college entrance exam requirements. Just like anime.

SAT/ACT classes/tutoring already sometimes become this, FYI.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

You have way too much faith in young teens noticing poo poo.

Yeah the textbook publisher will have long since come up with a sentence or two that quickly summarizes exactly why and the teen will just memorize that. Hindsight's magic for explaining things.

SquadronROE posted:

How many more states went for Trump tonight?

Not over yet, but Trump's already taken four states so far.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Peggy goddamn Noonan is on CBS crying into her loving beer about how we're watching the GOP shatter before our eyes.

Lady Noonington Tears are the sweetest of the Old White Tears, do you have a link?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Follow up on Louisiana, this from the WaPo

:eyepop:

quote:

Initially, Jindal had been able to cut taxes because Louisiana was buoyed by billions in federal money, an influx to help with the recovery from Hurricane Katrina, in 2005. But as that money ran dry, Jindal said he would veto any bills that would push taxes back up to where they had been. Instead, to plug budget gaps, Jindal relied not just on cuts, but also on controversial, one-off fundraising methods. The state sold off assets, including parking lots and farmland. It cleaned out money from hundreds of trust funds — among them, one intended to build reefs for marine wildlife. It pieced together money from legal settlements.

For Jindal’s supporters, this was creative problem-solving that helped the state endure without crisis through his term, which ended in January. But in the eyes of Jindal’s opponents, the governor was resisting a more sustainable option — tax increases — that would have proven unpopular nationally among Republicans, whom Jindal was courting in his presidential bid

The Republican Party is full of egotistical weirdos obsessed with obtaining the presidency for themselves above all else so they can jack off to their own reflection in the Oval Office.

I don't even think most of them actually believe in their Laffer Cult strategy, they just robotically implement over and over again like a heroin-addicted rat that thinks if it'll push the button just once more it'll finally get that sweet reward.

Burn it all to the ground :getin:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 4, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

the theranos method:
-promise you'll disrupt medicine somehow
-massive valuation
-sucker someone into signing a partnership deal
-jettison your work force and split the cash with your investors

-have your ceo give lots of ted talks and dress like steve jobs
-get media bjs

How do people fall for this poo poo :psyduck:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Lote posted:

This is one of those "So crazy it might work ideas" but what if the Republican party did not nominate anyone? The election would turn into a defacto mid term and depress Dem turnout thereby ensuring Republican control of the House and possibly the Senate.

It's a decent strategy idea if Trump gets a majority of delegates but I think Rubio/Cruz/Kasich would throw an epic tantrum, not sure how you're going to get the big players with the big egos to get on board with what would undoubtedly strike them as a defeatist strategy when they think Real America will give them a majority (remember that 2008 and 2012 were full of idiots who really thought the GOP would win somehow).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

Aren't the mosquito species that carry zika pretty restricted in range? I don't think anyone is expecting a major outbreak in the US.

The CDC's been raising the alarm on zika in a major way, and I think they're definitely concerned about rising temperatures resulting in nasty mosquito weather spreading disease up into the US.

They're also just health professionals concerned about the rise of any illness in the Northern Hemisphere, of course, so it's likely just a wise precaution.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

How solid are New Mexico, Nevada, and Colorado? Because yeah, if you set 270towin to 'same since 2000' and make those three plus Virginia blue, then both Florida and Ohio (plus NC, NH, IN, and IA) could go red and it wouldn't matter: http://www.270towin.com/maps/qyZ02

Chipping in my two cents on Colorado: it's a lock for the Dems this year, Cruz is way too religious and Trump is way too nuts for Colorado. Hillary's not a perfect fit since Colorado liberalism is much more Sanders' style, but I'd say it's solid.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Why must you dangle this in front of us

(In case you don't remember your 12th Amendment, in the event of an Electoral College tie, the House votes for the President and the Senate votes for the Vice-President in December! :toot:)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Some of you are really amateurs at this Chaos Election business: :yum:
http://www.270towin.com/maps/MYdG2

For additional infuriation, have the latest excellently written, in-depth, horrifying article from the New Yorker about juveniles who get labeled as sex offenders forever and ever and usually kill themselves yay :911: :toot:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

lmao just tuned in to CNN to see the leadup to the primaries tonight and it was some "X person in 60 seconds" segment on Marissa Meyer. They made special emphasis on how dedicated she was by saying she went back to work 2 weeks after giving birth.

Yeah, I was thinking about "tuning in just to see" too and then I remember that they don't actually show any real content.

And besides, why watch CNN when you can read noted New York Times Columnist David Brooks' latest column? Don't worry, you don't need to actually read it, just know that the headline is "It's Not Too Late!" :getin:

It also contains paragraphs like this:

quote:

The hour is late and the odds may be long. But there is still hope. It’s a moment for audacity, not settling for Ted Cruz simply because he’s the Titanic you know.

Could you say it's the time to appreciate...the audacity of hope? :obama:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Niton posted:

He lacks the ability to do a wide set of deep polls for himself, so he relies on aggregating the available polls and using his own methods to analyze them. There's only a single poll where this is anything less than a historic blowout.

Agreed, I've personally posted in this very thread about how crappy Nate Silver is in the past but anyone could have the perfect model and it wouldn't magically transform garbage data into The Truth unless, in this case, you :pcgaming: UNSKEW :pcgaming: every poll by 20 points.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Anubis posted:

Basically there was a website that took all the poll numbers and "unskewed" them because.... LIBERAL MEDIA and reasons... they didn't really do anything smart or logical, they just took the existing numbers they didn't like and moved them 5-10 points to the right. Then, election night, they were surprised when their predictions didn't pan out.

Everyone had a nice big laugh.

Except for the Romney/Ryan campaign, which seemed to have actually believed their own hype right up until the end as Romney bragged on Election Day about how he didn't write a concession speech. The big deal wasn't just that some crackpot had randomly thrown a modifier onto every poll Just Because, it was the number of people who went along with it. A number of Republicans I knew in real life really were convinced Romney was going to take it.

EDIT: Ah, look at all of us reminiscing. Good times.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 9, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

USPOL Mar - ****WARNING: MORON*****

How does someone even get interested in politics without mastering the concept of "society is for everyone, not just me"?

Me being happy is less important than you being alive. That will always be the priorities for everything forever.

Because the idea "society is for us, but not you criminals/illegal foreigners/lazy welfare mooches/other outgroup etc." is politically popular, and it fundamentally switches things so that "me being alive (but not for long you're doing an awful thing that is killing us all) is more important than you being happy (because of your awful thing)".

The idea that the government itself is one of these awful things is also politically popular, which makes things extra difficult.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is there confirmation on this? I thought he was waiting until after March 15 for the Florida primary?

There's no confirmation, it's just the FOX News rumor mill and current Goon-census™ is that it's just as likely literally any Republican with half a brain who desperately wants him out on his rear end.

I honestly have no loving clue why he's still in, of course, surely it would far better for him to lose Florida while he isn't running than while he is, but Rubio's campaign appears to be nothing if not delusional.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

So am I the only one in this thread who doesn't pay for bad WaPo articles or are you all bypassing the paywall and that's why you keep linking their articles?

Open all links in a Private Browsing/Incognito Mode window, problem solved.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

RIP Louisiana

You should've stuck with Democrats

Now the cycle of recovery and long term planning with federal disaster relief funding -> elect GOP to piss that money away -> teeter on bankruptcy while all services are shuttered begins anew

Can't help but feel like my future child is going to come home after learning about the Civil War and be like "Why is the South still so poor" and I'll be like :iiam:

...I mean, I'll actually tell them why, but seriously, the pattern of Southern states' relative poverty is centuries old and no one can figure out how to stop it, if only for purely selfish "stop draining federal funds dammit" reasons?

(yes self-destructive racism's significantly to blame, doesn't make it less frustrating)

EDIT: Also, I don't actually know a lot about Southern political history, if someone wants to jump in here with a less rant-y discussion about it feel free.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Thanks for the info and background, all, I understand so much better and feel so much worse. :)

I guess what I'm really frustrated about is Republican lovely governance (and black poverty, of course, but Republican lovely governance has a very direct cause-effect relationship), but there's nothing new under the sun there.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

Oh man, this is interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/11/u...&pgtype=article

Sounds like basically Insurance With A Friendlier Face.

Ah, the end result when you have more faith in God (and your religious community) than A) in insurance companies and B) in your government to provide you with the circumstances for affordable health care. It's genuinely sad.

In other news: how the White House, DOJ, FTC, and SEC actively opposed bipartisan Congressional FOIA reform in 2014 that would have codified all agencies erring on the side of disclosure, the updating of all agencies' FOIA regulations, and the creation of a FOIA request website. DOJ basically got Senator Sessions on its side and the rest is history.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Boon posted:

So anyone think that the death of Nancy Reagan starts to mark the end of the GOPs fetishism of the Reagan administration?

Hahahahaha no, the eGOP voters who were alive during Reagan will have to die off first and even then his portrait will be in GOP HQ in a solid gold frame for another decade or so.

His luster's degraded really heavily amongst The Youth, excluding only the most hardcore conservatives, since exposure to his bullshit policies without being buoyed by the Iran hostage crisis and the economic boom produces pretty natural reactions, so it's only a matter of time. A lot of time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Young Republicans are in a class with Gay and Minority Republicans of people who need their head examined.

They've mostly just grown up in Republican households and never had any reason to challenge their inherited beliefs, usually because they live in Extremely Poor Republican Country or Extremely Wealthy Republican Country. It's a way to belong to your family and community. This still sometimes results in extreme cognitive dissonance that's painful to watch, though. :smith:

Don't underestimate the power of communal pressure/happy complacency.

(Also FYGM)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Dexo posted:

Young republicans think they will eventually get that job where they make enough money that being republican makes total sense fiscally for them. I sorta get that, even though most of them will never see that kind of money.

The temporarily embarrassed millionaire phenomenon is hardly unique to young Republicans, of course.

Fake Edit: Beaten. :saddowns:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm really perplexed that people are having as hard a time as it seems many of you are in reading between the lines of what Hillary said re: the Reagans and AIDS. It seems obvious to me that she's basically throwing the thinnest veil possible over saying "Nancy and Ron blithely ignored one of the greatest public health crises of their time, which helped to get people talking about it."

Ah, I see, she was saying it ironically. :colbert: I think it's pretty obvious why we're all a little confused here.

EDIT: Looked this up just for kicks and :lol:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 11, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. I dislike HRC but jesus she's been in this industry for decades upon decades and has been involved in a huge spectrum of policy. She can forget a detail of someone's stance from 20+ years in the past.

Reagans: Really, really, really bad on AIDS, I scratched in my notebook back in my middle school US History class. Yet somehow over a decade later, I managed to remember it today.

(Yes, it's just one of so, so many Hillary own-goals, but I'm still kind of astonished how difficult she makes for people to want to vote for her.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

What she should have done? Doubled down? She apologized and admitted she was wrong.

I was just responding to the posts with ridiculous excuses for Hillary forgetting the Reagans' record on AIDS, changing the subject isn't necessary.

It should be self-evident that apologizing was the only way forward, but offering something more than an "I misspoke" (literal quote) would have been ideal given the sensitive nature of the issue.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHRFhsZgY10

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

He covers the Supreme Court for the wire service. I doubt they'd publish without confirmation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-obama-idUSKCN0WD2LE

Aww, I was really pulling for Jane Kelly. :(

In part because I want an all-female SCOTUS to make heads fully and truly explode. :unsmigghh:

But this will do.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Butcher posted:

Okay yankee pig dogs, I'm in.

I'll give you 10:1 odds on Donald Trump if you give me your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hollismason posted:

If he loses Florida, I think he'll drop out.

The prediction for some time now is that it's virtually guaranteed he drops out after Florida either way and the only reason he's still in the race is to try to win Florida/get Florida face time and stop his entire political career from imploding altogether.

Everything in that clip is reminding me of Jeb for the last month of his campaign after he got his poo poo kicked in. Makes me sad. :(

I honestly have no clue how the GOP is going to rebuild their bench after this.

• Locked thread