Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I wonder if there actually will be any internal strife past the convention about supporting Trump, or if the establishment republicans will grin and bear it.

Someone told me the Tea Party doesn't like Trump because he dissed the Constitution or whatever. I could imagine those guys holding a petty grudge, but I think they pretended to like Romney so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they've been having a big spat between the legislature and the judiciary. this is a bit less overtly sordid than the "if the judicial branch strikes me down then they are defunded" law they passed.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
shut the gently caress up. milk pun.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Tonight Trump literally praised the Chinese for their actions in Tienanmen Square.

well that's an absurdly awful and stupid thing to say

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i kind of want this election cycle to be done, its not really fun in the same way the 2012 one was

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

why should I be trusting a random blogspot site?

they're commenting on some leaked citigroup documents from quite a while ago. I read them, and they're not exactly groundbreaking. They're just some navel gazing by a bunch of dudes obsessed about money talking about the economic situation (plutocracy where only the top of the top of the wealthy really matter) and how they can best profit from it. Its nothing that people don't already more or less know, its just startling to hear it being presented with such unpoliticized honesty.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

Maybe I'm jaded but none of that is really shocking. Of course the 1% (and those immediately below who think they're part of it) are talking about how to perpetuate their lifestyle without having to interact with or depend on the proles. From their position, it's the logical thing to do. It's like being shocked that during the Cold War that maybe - just maybe - the government was spying on its own citizens. (Of course they were.)

it probably was just some drone who wrote it anyways, rather than some shadowy power broker. its not really an evil or morally outrageous thing to write either, just very Machiavellian; just the pure facts of the current situation and what citigroup needs to do to best profit from the situation. its information they need to have in order to survive in a changing economic climate and and for the most part, its not mustache twirling behavior to come up with that document.

of course the complete lack of ethics or goals beyond "acquire wealth" guiding their directives is not very reassuring and still places them firmly opposed to the best interests of the nation at large, especially since they talk about potential risks to plutocracy: when you note how much money and effort they spend influencing politics you sort of get the sense that them acting in good business sense is about as reassuring as being told during a mugging that its "nothing personal".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ive said it before because im a dumbass idiot, but the one thing i think that china has got over the us in terms of domestic policy is that a publiclly visable fuckup rear end in a top hat like synder would have eaten a bullet by now if he worked for the ccp

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
t e d c r u z s e x t a p e w h e n

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Quandary posted:

Goddamn. I'm impressed by this AI, and thoroughly horrified about the potential for future computer meltdowns.

a lot of it is just using a "say this ->" command at the bot to make it say poo poo.

e: whatever the process involved, the ted cruz tweet is pretty gold, tho.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The GOP campaign has been loving weird. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic when I say that it's going to be a fixture in Civics textbooks.

what future?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
us police forces have a lot of weird poo poo going on with them re: drilling recruits on how the second you go easy on some guy he's going to produce a deadly long gun and blast your balls off. or pull out a knife from his sphincter and carve a new boy pussy in your chest. meanwhile there's really no poo poo given about suspect well being in comparison, partially as a petty response to the bleeding heart civvies accusing them of not giving a poo poo about suspect safety. something something thin blue line.

i think it's a combination of that mentality, plus a lack of adequate firearms/combat training. officers wind up paranoid and unfamiliar with their tools and so don't have any confidence in their ability to avoid harm outside of invoking the death penalty for carrying a butter knife, because I'm Sorry Did You Want Him To Cut Our Brave Boys In Blue

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the cycle with nonlethal tools is more or less this

cops shoot people
people get upset
introduce less than lethal weapon
cops shoot people with less than lethal instead of gun
cops then shoot lots of other people with less than lethal
someone dies from less than lethal in a stupid circumstance
cops go "gently caress it lets just not use it at all then"
cops shoot people

and so on and so forth

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

UberJew posted:

:laffo:

if that's your position then the military is still exactly the same as the police as i've no doubt you defend every police shooting the same way

i mean, judge for yourself if you want to

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
criticism of universities a long time ago was less about how they were a bunch of sissies and more about how they would form drunken gangs that would set fire to poo poo and terrorize the locals and would beat up their professors on occasion for reasons i cant remember, but that was actual centuries ago

i think that would be a more entertaining response to the trump chalk tho

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Interestingly if you read the study there wasn't actually a single taser death due to what you describe as "not uncommon" in their entire sample group, all the taser deaths were due to head injury from the fall.

you know, i dont even disagree with you re: tasers being far safer than people often think they are but head injury resulting from taser use is something that i think could safety be filed under "death as a result of taser use"

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jarmak posted:

It's still worth mentioning though that the most dangerous part about using a taser is the fall to the ground, if only because one of the most common complaints about taser use seems to be some variation of "that cop was too lazy to do his job so he tased him instead of wrestling/grabbing/whatever him, putting him in danger of for no reason" missing the fact that wrestling someone to the ground is a good deal more dangerous for both parties.

Though I'll agree there's some serious overuse of tasers in situations where there doesn't need to be any physical escalation, because cops are being impatient/callous.

I'd expect tasers are a bit more hazardous about falls, since they work by locking up the body, and planking as stiff as possible is perhaps the worst way to take a fall. Wrestling someone to the ground isn't much better, and its not really helped in that I don't think most police are really that well trained in how to take someone down without resorting to stuff like choking the airway or striking people in the head which is stupidly dangerous and pretty unnecessary/ineffective to boot.

I'd probably blame bad training for taser misuse more than micro stuff like an officer being a callous dick. I'd actually compare it to stuff like forum mods melting down; dudes with power who don't really know how to use it properly tend to do really stupid things when under stress or when they feel they're losing control of a situation. There's not enough training regarding how to just plain talk to people as well, and too much emphasis has been placed on the use of intimidation (such as wearing nonreflective sunglasses) that does little except increase tension. Especially when the training they do get seems designed to make cops as stressed out as possible when dealing with a suspect (21 foot rule / pcp turns people invincible / you will be the next Kyle Dinkheller / et all).

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 31, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
China is, uh, somewhat of a rational actor. Their military (and public) would probably push for a crazy response to Japanese/SK nukes, to the point it might lead to instability in China's government if the more level headed party leaders don't do something in response. I'd actually expect NK to be a bit more predictable/"safe" since they've already got the military running most of the show so I don't think they could get any further unhinged about things than they already are.

Nothing good would come of it, of course.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
or just let strangers dress differently than you do and not care if they suck at it idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its going to be bioshock except with funny hats

• Locked thread