Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
From last thread:

Shbobdb posted:

Can I ask how old were you and how you could be so dumb? I don't mean it in a mean way, I'm just trying to understand.

It's hard, honestly. If you're not following something your brain takes a lot of shortcuts. "If there's smoke, there's fire" is what basically lets this poo poo happen. It's the same type of lazy shortcut that gives us "truth is in the middle", which the right wing has so flagrantly abused over the years.

Don't underestimate how wearing it is to defend someone against constant attack when you're surrounded by Fox/Limbaugh viewers. You start ceeding ground because nothing is 100% black&white, and those edges are where doubts set in.

If psychology and marketing tricks didn't work, they wouldn't be used so damned much. About the only well-spent money the GOP puts in elections is on this poo poo.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Don't be mean.

Insects are a valuable part of every ecosystem. Unless you mean wasps and just wasps.

Figs, man. Although given a choice between never eating a fig again and complete xenocide of all wasps, I know which way I'd vote.

Harik fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

computer parts posted:

Nope, only dumb accelerationists.

As a country we yearn for our imagined version of the 1950s. How is that not choosing going backwards over standing still?

It's not dumb accelerationists when your goal is to put women back in the kitchen and gays back in the closet.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Tempest_56 posted:

Then you are, quite bluntly, an idiot. I understand that health insurance costs a lot - I have to pay for it too and being a part of the system doesn't mean I get a break. But that $100/$200/$500/$whatever a month is saving you money in the long term because you will get sick.

To put it bluntly, you're the idiot here.

If he gets sick he goes bankrupt or dies. Paying for "bronze" (or even gold!) insurance on the exchange doesn't change that, since it still requires something ridiculous like 50-60% of his gross salary in total costs.

You pay 10% of your income and get nothing for the first $2500 of medical care. Then you have to pay some massive percentage of whatever it costs after that? That's not insurance, it's a tax on stupid people.

Go. Go to the exchange. Read the coverage he'd be getting, then come back here with a straight face and tell him that it's worth it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Shifty Pony posted:

Allow me introduce you to the assfucking tag-team of "out of network charges" and "balance billing".

Example- you go to the ER and need emergency surgery. Turns out despite your hospital being in network the anesthesiologist and his assistant aren't (in some areas they almost never are) and they bill you for $95k. Your insurance says the plan allowable charge is $15k with 50% copayment but great news that exceeds your yearly max so you only owe $5k and they cut a $10k check to the anesthesiologist. He thanks you, cashes the insurance check and your $5k check, and then promptly demands you pay the remaining $80k.

Yup! Went bankrupt to clear all the medical debt out. My out of pocket maximum is supposed to be $4500. I was receiving bills for an extra $45k.

And that's with "good insurance" through work.

Anyone who parrots the line about how young people don't get health coverage because they think they'll never need it has never actually had to use theirs.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

the moose posted:

How the gently caress is that legal. I thought the whole point of the ACA was to keep people from having the exact situation.

Out of network means you're hellfucked. Oh, and your network is amorphous and constantly shifting.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Tempest_56 posted:

This is literally my job. I know what the coverage is, I deal with it on a daily basis. It's a goddamn nightmare in a lot of ways, but I do know what I'm talking about.

Here's the thing - you make too much money to understand. For me, and for many people in my situation: 45k, 450k and 4.5 million are the same number. It literally doesn't matter which one of them it is. That's the part you keep not getting. No matter how big the out-of-network charges are, I can't pay them. I can barely afford the out-of-pocket in-network cap without help.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

"These are just symbols representing my pride in my ancestry, man," says a woman in between punching a gay black man.

Nobody's going to quote her running away from her tats as fast as she can?

(Not my screenshots, I have no idea what her FB is)

Yes, it's "Odin's Eye" for his protection and some unspecified reason she's got the Heill Hitler on the other hand that's totally not HH but she's not going to explain because she hasn't found a remotely plausible excuse yet.

Take some pride in your white pride, coward.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
It doesn't matter where you live in Florida, you're still living under the iron grip of our skeletal governor.

He's only not the worst governor in the country because Snyder and Walker (and formerly Jindal) exist.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Armyman25 posted:

It sounds really bad till you factor in that it only raised the price like $30 a tire.

Plutocrat spotted. That's "only" the same as adding an extra power bill the month I need to replace my tires.

SedanChair posted:

Yes, those people are morons, and if they say they are leftist they don't understand their own position. Leftism is anti-racism, period. Add the fact that the nature of the left has been conspiratorially suppressed in this country and you have a false, racist "left."

Too many people have fallen for the "colorblindness is anti-racism" myth. If you do, then of course anything talking about a single race must be bad, so #alllivesmater. Ignorant racism, not malicious racism.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 19, 2016

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

You might start casting bronze statues of Bahatmat to make a mockery of religious slogans plastered in public places?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Take your meds.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Empress Theonora posted:

I know we're all enjoying watching the GOP destroy itself before our eyes, but let's not get too gleeful about hoping for an Actual Massacre at the RNC.
In this time of hightened tensions and terrorist threats we just want the GOP convention to be as safe as possible - and obviously 50,000 Good Guys With Guns is the best way to do that. After all, Good Guys With Guns don't cause massacres, they prevent them.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

CommieGIR posted:

Luckily Yale is aware that Florida is going to sink into the sea in a century and they want no part of that.

If they had a spine they'd respond to his offer explaining that they expected their institution to be around longer than Florida was going to remain above water It'd be difficult for Scott to argue against it since he's banned any state official from discussing climate change, global warming or sea-level rise.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think there's an inevitable backlash brewing. People know our government is nonfunctional and that something has to change. The problem is the "for my team to win your team has to lose" tribal mentality that pervades both sides of the political spectrum and I have no idea how you go about defusing that situation.

Look at this stupid false equivalency bullshit. One side works with the other and considers any progress a "win", the other considers anything but burning the entire government to ashes a loss. In no way are these two remotely the same.

In what sane world would "accepting a compromise supreme court judge when a retirement opens while the other side holds the white house" be a loss instead of a victory?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:nallears:

poo poo didn't always work that way and that's part of the problem. But you have people on the left acting like we need to start having the same sort of rigid ideology and welp. I'm sure I'm betraying the revolution and will get called all sorts of names but I don't really give a poo poo.

Liberals are perfectly capable of accepting a non-perfect solution if it at least appears like our side is trying. You don't go to a dealership and offer the sticker price.

Most of the anger is because the strategy of stomping your feet and holding your breath tantrums seems to work - either they get their way or nobody does. Ideally we'd go back to a government of give-and-take, and the balance of where the compromise lands is based on who has a majority. The other half of the anger is that the minority party (by votes) has such a ridiculous majority due to gerrymandering and pretends that it's a mandate.

Sorry I'm not calling you names and calling you a betrayer of the revolution. I guess I'm not ideologically pure enough either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

I've read that before, thanks for the reminder. I think they tried some of everything over the years.

Reminded me of this bit of insanity they built in the caspian sea.

quote:

The foundation of the main settlement consists of seven sunken ships including "Zoroaster," the world's first oil tanker, built in Sweden. In Neft Dashlari's heyday, some 2,000 drilling platforms were spread in a 30-kilometer circle, joined by a network of bridge viaducts spanning 300 kilometers. Trucks thundered across the bridges and eight-story apartment blocks were built for the 5,000 workers who sometimes spent weeks on Neft Dashlari. The voyage back to the mainland could take anything between six and twelve hours, depending on the type of ship. The island had its own beverage factory, soccer pitch, library, bakery, laundry, 300-seat cinema, bathhouse, vegetable garden and even a tree-lined park for which the soil was brought from the mainland.

It was a Stalinist utopia for the working class. A Soviet stamp from 1971 summed up the gigantic hopes it embodied in a tiny image: against the black outline of a drilling rig, a road made of bridges snaked its way across the deep blue sea towards further rigs and a red sun on the horizon.

• Locked thread