Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cross-posting from the GOP thread because words have no meaning and Donald Trump is going to be our next president.

https://twitter.com/13ALeBeau/status/704834343089414144

No, the reporter did not make a mistake with that Tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fried Chicken posted:

Scott endorsing Trump here turns a bad night for Rubio into a disaster

Nobody in Florida likes Rick Scott or cares who he's backing. They may've elected Scott twice, but he's seen as pretty much just a rubber R stamp.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

SpaceDrake posted:

As a former VA resident: loving god dammit, I thought we were done with Cuchinelli back before I moved out to Oregon. The man was an abysmal failure of a politician and I have some trouble understanding why the legislature would even try to vote him onto the Court. I guess, in proper Republican fashion, they just hate McAuliffe that much more.

Who would Cooch be replacing? If they're replacing another conservative justice then at worst it's the maintaining of the status quo, just with a bigger idiot in the mix. If it was a liberal justice then this is extremely frustrating, especially due to the lengths the legislature went to scuttle McAuliffe's pick.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wow, literally a couple thousand protesters filling the streets in Chicago. So much so that Trump had to cancel and yet the protest did not go so out of control as to give w the police an excuse to go all riot squad and tear gas and give conservatives great optics about those "vicious thugs". That's all actually pretty inspiring and encouraging.

I hate to break this to you, but they're going to call them vicious thugs regardless.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Who's up for some #FlashbackFriday?

quote:

Birch Run, Mich. — Speaking to reporters before a speech here this evening, Donald Trump called it a “disgrace” that Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders had let ‘Black Lives Matter’ protesters interrupt a rally he held this weekend.

“I would never give up my microphone. I thought that was disgusting,” Trump said. “That showed such weakness.”

Protesters from the Black Lives Matter movement have interrupted Democratic presidential hopefuls on a couple of occasions this cycle. It last happened at the progressive Netroots Nation convention in July.

Trump, asked how he would handle racial tensions in the country, noted that race relations are, “certainly doing very poorly. I mean, you look at what’s going on every place. Every place. I mean, we have powder kegs all over the country waiting to explode. We need spirit, esprit de corps, cheerleading, and we need jobs.”

But he said Sanders had handled the protesters very poorly.

“I don’t know if I’ll do the fighting myself or if other people will, but that was a disgrace. The way they — I felt badly for him, but it showed that he’s weak,” Trump said.

“You know what, he’s getting the biggest crowds and I’m getting the biggest crowds. We’re the two getting the crowds,” Trump said. “But believe me that’s not gonna happen to Trump.”

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/708526970242519041

The gently caress is this

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/voxday/status/708639280722276352

This was disproven in approximately 30 seconds, but the cat's out of the bag and you already have the likes of Donald Trump Jr. and James Woods retweeting it.

And in related news about the subject of our "photo that will be in every US History book 50 years from now"...

https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/708679824781516801

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So was the Nazi salute an ironic gesture then? Either way, it wasn't a really smart move with so many cameras around.

She was dead serious.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm having a hard time following this guy's telling of the story:

"We understand this is all a little wild but we have cleared a path for you to leave *my right hand was constantly swinging in motion, showing her the path out we made for her, as shown in the photo*"

She goes, and I quote "Go? Back in my day, you know what we did-"

Bam. Hail's Hitler."

Is she implying that she was a Nazi back in the day?

That's exactly what she's implying. The guy later wrote on Twitter she didn't actually say "Heil Hitler," but her body language said all that was needed to be said.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

N00ba the Hutt posted:

I haven't seen this posted yet. The Tampa Bay Times did a good long form bit on Rubio's career.
Rise and Stall: the political trajectory of Marco Rubio

This is a good read. It's well known that Ted Cruz has burned just about every bridge he's crossed to further his career, but it looks like Rubio is just as notorious his ascent, perhaps even moreso. It may be a good reason why he's struggling so hard in his home state.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

But... What if New Hampshire goes red? :supaburn:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My mom sent me some masturbatory fantasy article that suggests a three party run with Hillary vs. Trump vs. Kasich/Rubio would prevent them all from getting 270 electoral votes and thus Paul Ryan would play kingmaker, a la the 1825 election.

Personally, I'm thinking more 1992.

Or am I being too generous about Ohio? :getin:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Take a peek in the GOP thread, guys. Things are about to be taken to a whole 'nuther level.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dick Nixon is a national treasure

quote:

Calling Trump a “sniveling coward”? What the hell was that? Who “snivels”? What is it?

Say “son of a bitch,” like any man whose wife is attacked.

People would understand. But Cruz, who’d obviously rehearsed the line, came off like a ship’s captain challenging a brigand to pistols at dawn.

Then he refused to disown Trump if he’s the nominee, essentially admitting that Mrs. Cruz is less important to him than a shot at being Secretary of Commerce.

:allears:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clinton should jump on this and thank him since Obama's done a solid job of unfucking Bush's damage while giving us lower gas prices and unemployment figures than Mitt Romney claimed he'd give us back in 2012.

When Jim Webb killed a man it's unfortunate that the person he killed wasn't himself. He'd pull an Arlen Specter and swap parties in an instant if it could help his political career.

Wouldn't be the first time. He was a Republican before running as a Democrat in 2006. Hell, he was part of the Reagan administration.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Quorum posted:

Only one death: the shooter. From what I've heard, the state troopers and city police were literally doing a narcotics training exercise in the station when the suspect walked up and shot one in the chest. I suspect they were all in body armor, so the result is unsurprising. Sounds like the shooter was mentally ill, and not just in the "lone wolf we may never understand why" sense.

e: Actually, hearing reports the trooper who was initially shot is also dead. Not sure.

Real strange, our sources are saying the trooper is dead. Like, was seen getting zipped up in a body bag dead. Weird for state police to say otherwise.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Quorum posted:

NPR is currently reporting the trooper is alive, while local news (I think using an out of date version of the statement) is reporting that he is dead. I'm siding with NPR on this one.

Slightly surreal to see national news clinically and awkwardly describing your own city's slightly unsightly semi-blighted regions.

Yeah, after initial police reports saying he was dead, the VSP PIO Corinne Geller came out and said he was still alive. Typically when something like that happens, it in reality means the person is brain dead, but being kept alive on life support for the family to gather around and say their goodbyes.

In this case, we (I work at a local news station) got reports from several of our reliable sources saying he was 100% dead and in a body bag on the way to the morgue, making the PIO's comments a short time later throw us for a loop. Not a big deal other than making the local media appear unnecessarily ghoulish through no real fault of our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

About to get a live update on the Richmond trooper shooting.

Right now it's just reporters not realizing that the pile of microphones two feet away from them is picking up their conversation about yogurt and fish tacos.

• Locked thread