Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

a modern constitutional convention would be insanity

Yeah but if everyone perceives the alternative as worse, insanity wins. I think the potential of being out of power for years while the opposition has free rein during realignment could be seen as worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I don't think it's just MBA programs. Nobody has ever said "My favorite part of working in corporate America is all the immoral backstabbing weasels." Honestly if they all got fired it probably wouldn't even increase our workloads all that much.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

foobardog posted:

If you want to be cynical and marxist about it, they don't really exist to make the grunt's jobs better, but to provide a blanket of deflection from capital and labor.

That's not cynical, that's Manichaean. Everybody's perfectly trustworthy except for one group that just happens to be the singular manifestation of all evil in the world. Anything else could only happen with their blessing and to their benefit.

Cynics find it hilarious that anybody would trust those guys to gently caress over everybody but the shareholders when those are the most profitable marks around.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If the kid wasn't strapped, then how'd she get shot in the first place?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I rode one of those Disney ones when I was a kid and I'm not sure I've ever been more scared in my life. I really can't imagine riding one of these things as public transportation. Intellectually I know they exist and they're probably a lot safer than I think and that's high density cable and if a bunch of people had died on these things I'd know. But I can't get past the idea that I'm riding in a box dangling on a wire. I'm now imagining a morning commute filled with abject terror.

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2013/08/stalins-rope-roads/100577/

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Harik posted:

I've read that before, thanks for the reminder. I think they tried some of everything over the years.

Reminded me of this bit of insanity they built in the caspian sea.

I think that the entire philosophy behind it is to build things so that the less safety critical bits corrode through first and hope that they replace the more safety critical bits at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm not saying he will win.

I'm saying stop acting as though he definitely won't.

If you're trying to motivate people over the possibility that he'll win, at this point try motivating people over the possibility that he'll let Democrats take the House.

• Locked thread