Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

That's a very through guide! Thanks for putting it together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ok I might throw something in for this. I'll see how time goes.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Riso posted:

I think you misunderstood. He is using the Wedge 2.0 model, not that it has a 2l engine. He won't say what engine.
I can tell you however the two turbos at the top in test 1 were a 2.8l v8 and a 2.6l v6.

Keep your engine around 30 reliability. You can over-cool it later to that number as well. 57 means you sacrifice too much performance to be worth it.
A turbo should have an even power line from 6000-9000 if possible for drivability etc.

You want tyres at the max of 265. I suggest 14", 650mm. If mid/rear engine, front tyres have to be smaller.

Also 30%+ wheelspin looks right for FR. IRL mid-engine is the way to go for sports cars.

If you car is too light, don't add stupid poo poo like entertainment and heavier interiors. Up safety.

Edit: 1770cc is way too small. I know, because I tried 1500 and 2000 without much luck!

Edit2: AND DONT GEAR THAT loving CAR TO TOP SPEED IT AINT WORTH IT.

I knew most of that except the front tyres being smaller thing. Why is that? weight distribution?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Any quick pointers on g/kwh? I got away in Chips' challenge with quite a thirsty car so I have no idea what is reasonable ballpark in this championship

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

cheers for this

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

e: wrong thread

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Rally stages stuff more angled to off road could be interesting

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

See, I'm kind of the other way round. I like the apprehension of being locked into a design, and just seeing how the plan plays out.

I don't have time to adjust pit strategy and suspension and gears week on week - hell I just clicked "Race" setup because I ran out of time to entry. I know I may be somewhat unique in this since I work weekends too, but a lack of ongoing changes is very appealing to me. Added into it as well is that tracks are different so to change for one week may mean you need to change back the other way the next; it feels like the goal is unfocused somewhat. A season of short stages would also eliminate pit strategy.

I suppose what would be perfect for me (and again, I understand, may not work for you running it or others competing) would be a month of races, a month to revise, a month of the same tracks, a month to revise - for however many cycles. Whether those tracks are all selected to emphasise a design feature (offroad, speed, etc) or geared towards people making an all rounder is something that could be decided on too.

I think it could be cool to compare first entries and last entries as well. Like we might find the worst car from the final race rounds would still beat the best car from the year beginning, that kind of thing. Revision points could feature to whatever degree, but I think a sense of continuity (body style, engine family for example) would be good.

It feels like I'm falling behind in the current challenge because others have more real-life time, not because my design is bad. And that's okay, it's the nature of this '89 game, but I personally wouldn't mind it being different next time round.

I think I should make it clear here that I'm still very glad you're running a challenge. As I said, it's the only time I play Automation. What I'm suggesting may well be (and seems to be) the opposite of what you want to run. So yeah I know you put a lot of work into running these, and don't run a ruleset you don't like. But you asked for suggestions, and that's mine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'll be entering something but I have no real time to do a decent suspension tune and will not be doing any revisions or race strategy. If anyone is more interested in those parts of the challenge, post here or drop me a PM and I'm sure we can work something out

E: wrong thread

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 20, 2017