Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh hey, there's a thread here too.

... I have to admit I'm not sure how interesting I'm finding the rest of the game but I'm having a hoot tweaking cars for the SASC GT thing. Am I the necbkeardiest of neckbeards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

Once the rest of the game gets fleshed out some, I think it could be really quite good...I mean, I'm pretty interested to see if I can go dominate the world of sports cars in tycoon mode as much as anyone, I suspect.

I just kept looking up things and coming across dev responses of "we're not making a racing game, that won't ever be implemented" and like, ugh, fine.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'll have to mess with things to figure out how to do it even ignoring various tools but the SASC challenge is inspiring me. I kinda want to try to set up something late-60s-Trans-Am-ey. Not exactly Trans Am, but sorta like, and I'm spitballing here... big GT class you get either 5L pushrod or 3L (D)OHC, small GT class you get up to, I dunno, 2L with 2V or 1.6L with 4V, and a Can Am class where it's run whatcha brung. Maybe emphasizing more towards 2 hour races instead of longer ones to deal with the reliability. No fuel burn rules because it's the 60s, but obviously burning less will mean fewer pit stops...

The twist I'm not quite sure how to do (I mean I have ideas but I need to do math and poke around at that part of the game) is that you have to base the racing versions of the GT cars off of the same chassis/engine as a sellable production car and you'd have limited resources. So like, if you were basing around an econobox that sold like hotcakes and made your OEM a lot of bank, you'd be able to stomach pushing things harder and occasionally blowing up expensive race versions of the engines because you have more of a resource pool, while something closer to suited for purpose wouldn't sell as well, but would probably be fast with less money and less tuning to destruction.

Just thinking at this point.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

This sounds like a weird nitpick, but are they ever going to get rid of the idea that 5V/cyl was anything other than a dead-end? ;)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Got my Group B entry from SASC90 mostly translated over to UE4 for the SASC91 challenge (well, I'm making assumptions about rules but nevermind that) but... argh, not being able to pile on downforce is annoying me, given how much I used it. Lap times on ATT are back up in the 2:01 range; might have to do something completely different.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm just at the stage of trying things to figure out how the UE4 driving model responds. Translating my Group B car over is kind of a ... "well this worked there, what about here?" thing. Trying an interpretation as one possible starting point, you know? The suspension is completely different tuning-wise but honestly it makes more sense to me what works now than what did before.

Waiting to hear how the "small displacement engines get a boost" thing works and how fuel consumption is calculated now before I even pretend I've finalized anything, of course.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yay!

Although the one I was working with wasn't bad.

Now I just need wings and for them to do things...

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Woo! Time to start experimenting with the Unreal version then.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I haven't gotten stuck in yet to try to figure stuff out but any advice on making tools to do race-distance calculations like SASC-90? I'm thinking of an IMSA offshoot - performance capped more by displacement per weight with modifiers on how many QP are available. Like, IMSA allowed race engines at one weight break, production based stuff at another, so on and so forth... so in the GTP-equivalent, you could have turbos with some maximum compressor size at one weight break, 2 valve engines get one QP number (IMSA allowed aftermarket heads) and up to 6.5L at another weight break, 4+ valve engines with a lower QP number at another up to 5L, and 3.5L 4+ valve engines with a huge number of QP to represent the F-1 derived stuff that was allowed in.

I need to mess about to figure out if it's even possible to do - and might be fun too because some stuff might end up with very different fuel consumption and reliability.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Welp, may have to get a wheel again.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I get why most games don't treat AWD systems like that though. "OK, now write an algorithm describing torque bias as a function of various variables" is nontrivial for a bunch of people IRL.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

How Disgusting posted:

How accurate is automation's thermal model?

It's not. Doing accurate modeling of ... quite frankly a lot of things is way beyond the scope of something you can buy on Steam for $50 or whatever.

I don't know what's under the hood on how Automation does its engine modeling but I know how real, experimentally verified, engine simulations work, and there just plain aren't enough inputs in Automation where it will accurately represent an arbitrary engine. They have probably messed with it such that it looks about right for certain configurations but it 100% is not accurate enough to, for example, model the differences between a 429 Boss and a 429 with wedge heads.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I look at it, it's fun, in many ways the way things affect each other are like reality, and it's about tinkering with cars and engines. It doesn't have to be perfectly representative, it's a game.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

This may mean entirely new concepts for my next ARXL car - part of me is now imagining a twin turbo I4.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I suppose this means I need to reinstall and start working on designs since I can't reuse the last season's car. Hope the personal upheavals are just of the 'busy' not 'negative' sort

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Well, as another Automation player...

I have no idea; never tried the campaign, too busy optimizing sliders.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Wait, no mid-transverse AWD? BOOOOO.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

As opposed to totally common V16s

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Are there new sliders to optimize though?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

Also, I have launched Season Two of the Automation Rallycross League on the official Automation forums, you can find it here!

gently caress yes, another opportunity to optimize sliders!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Aw, I'm going to have to relearn how to break turbos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hum...