Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
He also made it into the 50s family finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=217vv8q3FVQ

I still can't believe MrChips was the only one to do a station wagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I really hate some of the scoring in this game, just because I'm not really sure how to interpret it. How do I know what a good smoothness score for an engine is? Are all scores like that in this game on a scale of 0-100?

Q_res fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 2, 2018

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah this concern came up because I recently mocked up a couple off-beat engine designs. A present day 2.5L I-3 DOHC 12-valve with a 4500 rpm rev limited that has the most hilarious diesel-esque torque curve, and a 4.9L SOHC 24-valve 60-degree V-8.

The I-3 has a Smoothness of 14.1 and the V8 was at 56.4, and I usually don't mess with the quality settings right now. But I did have to crank up the quality on the I-3 to get it even where I did.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 2, 2018

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Rorac posted:

Real life engineering, smoothness is first and foremost about how balanced the engine is in operation. Inline engines are pretty inherently unsmooth, and inline 3's even more so because the forces the engine experiences are uneven. The only smooth inline is the 6. I mean theoretically so is an inline 8, but nobody uses those anymore. (This is why semi trucks use inline 6's, by the way, it's naturally balanced, and also has the smallest block mass and internal friction). V engines are generally smoother because they have more pistons, but an inline 6 is going to be smoother than a V6, because the V6 still has the unbalanced forces issue. So does a V8 really, but I4 is better than I3, and a V8 is better than a V6. You cannot have a fundamentally balanced engine below 6 cylinders unless you use something like a flat engine design.

This is all just the natural tendencies of the engine though. There are engineering tricks you can do, like adding a harmonic balancer, carefully picking and milling parts to be more precisely weighted against each other, etc, which would be equivalent to raising the quality slider.

Oh no, I get all that. I knew the 3 banger would be a paint shaker. Was sort of the point, wanted to see if I could even make it functional. I just wasn't sure how to evaluate the score for the V8.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Goddammit Alan, you forgot to install the 3rd intake valve on the last cylinder again...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Okay, so because I bought BeamNG I now have a 20% off Automation coupon. I have no use for it as I already own Automation. If you want it, PM me a link to your Steam profile or drop it in the thread. It expires on the 3rd.

edit: Gone.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Thank god, the UI on this game has always been lackluster on its best days.