Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cataffy posted:

Can't loving believe they kicked Cris off over Ashley. While he clearly did not give a poo poo about the challenge, her tattoo was complete and utter garbage. Would have been fun to have more of Cris's craziness going forward.

The old man was awesome too, I hope they bring him and Chris back together on the Redemption show so they can have another great time together bonding over not giving a gently caress and kick rear end skull tattoos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I loved the old dude, and we were super bummed it was the fun guy who they had to put subtitles on that got sent home. They probably just wanted to keep both chicks on since they're not getting another until Sarah gets there. Her tattoo looked like poo poo right from the beginning.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I think Oliver nailed it when he said "He's not getting how this competition works" or however he said it. Yeah I get that you had to live with rules when you were young so gently caress RULES and this is a great country to do that in, but if you want to win a competition and it is pretty clear that you have to do the style given you, well then there you go. It's different from when dude did it once last year (I forget his name - eventual winner) because I think the producers probably got the vibe that it was going to be like this EVERY week with him. I too enjoyed the crazy, but he probably wasn't going to start falling in line because Communism.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The judges have done it in the past were if the contestant doesn't do the style given to them it hurts them in the final decision. Ashley's tattoo sucked and probably be gone soon if she keeps doing similar quality. Cris didn't do contrast and got kicked.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Her attitude was also just stupid. "I shouldn't be penalized for something I don't understand". That's not how a competition works!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The judging has never been super consistent, but so far they're really honing in on the tested skill. That doesn't mean they won't kick a tattoo they hate that meets the challenge in the future of course. I understand why Cris got the boot due to his tattoo not hitting new school as well as contrast (and I doubt they wanted to keep struggling to understand him.)

Also, Dunbar cost himself the $100K the second go around, and pretty much embarrassed himself again with this Redemption episode, so I think we've had our fill of him.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Here's a question for the thread: What's the worst tattoo in the show's history?

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

This week's gallery link: http://imgur.com/a/ujN3s

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Wow look I actually have opinions this week.

Alex - We'll come back to this in a minute.

Ashley - Her biggest sin here really is the contrast. As far as that extra line goes, I can see it, but it is always, always on the client to approve the stencil. It just looks like a 10 year old tattoo. She failed to pack in both colors and dark blacks. As a casual, I wouldn't notice anything. Her lettering is good.

Grandpa - Lovely.

Cleen - My one real complaint is that the more you look at it, the more you notice how unbalanced the star is. But, gosh, that color-packing is incredible, as is the attention to detail on the motor. Well-deserved win.

Cris - He should have gone for deeper blacks and more negative space, but the more I look at this the more I like it. It's a shame this got him sent home, because I really don't think it's bad. It's risky trying to pull out too many stops on older flesh anyway. I actually think the placement is really really good.

Megan - The human canvas jury said something about the curve of the headbeam being distracting, and I see their point, but if you match it with the curves on the palm trees and the shape of the (calf?) it makes a lot of sense. It's a bit wonky, but I still like it. Excellent use of perspective, and the skin tear works really well for the illusion of burning rubber.

Picasso - Yeah, he should have packed the colors and blacks in much like Ashley. The only thing I don't like about this is the weird outline of the front wheel. As they said, excellent drawing.

St. Marq - Okay you can scroll back up to Alex now, because these guys did the same loving tattoo and got two completely different reactions. Same loving colors and saturation. Both sets of wheels had major issues. They both have poor placement and both cars get crammed in the small parts of the arms. But Alex got read the riot act and St. Marq got YAY YOU CAN USE AN OUTLINER!! :neckbeard:

They are equally bad.

Anthony - Not stellar, but there is nothing terribly wrong with this. I guess the linework in the spokes/hubcap has room for improvement.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

OmegaBR posted:

Also, Dunbar cost himself the $100K the second go around, and pretty much embarrassed himself again with this Redemption episode, so I think we've had our fill of him.

Yeah, if that whole exchange wasn't some fake preplanned reality show drama then Dunbar's an idiot jerkoff and the only reason I can imagine they've brought him back so many times is so Nunez and the producers could have the last laugh by letting Dunbar dig himself deeper and lose any public sympathy and credibility he had from the show.

Propaganda Machine posted:

St. Marq - Okay you can scroll back up to Alex now, because these guys did the same loving tattoo and got two completely different reactions. Same loving colors and saturation. Both sets of wheels had major issues. They both have poor placement and both cars get crammed in the small parts of the arms. But Alex got read the riot act and St. Marq got YAY YOU CAN USE AN OUTLINER!! :neckbeard:

They are equally bad.

I don't agree at all. The blue in Alex's looks washed out and lovely, especially with the yellow in the headlights and a couple other areas being more packed in and contrasting against it. Those wheels are a complete mess too, it looks like the car's just sitting on rims.

While the blue on St Marq's isn't the brightest, it's a lot better than Alex's and you can clearly tell the spots that are light reflections/perspective instead of it all just looking like a washed out sky blue. I don't see how his wheels are anywhere near as bad as Alex's either, they're big thick muscle car wheels that look cool, and the only stand out problem is the front one looks a little flat on the bottom where he had to fit it on the dude's arm. Alex had plenty more room to fit actual wheels on his rims, he just didn't put em on for some reason.

Overall, St Marq's looks a hell of a lot better imo, it's got a bit of a cartoony flair to it and shows some style, while Alex's just looks boring and badly executed.

Edit: I gotta say, after looking at all of the tats again on that Imgur page, Picasso's is definitely my favorite, it's just so cool and badass looking, while also being some very nice, detailed and very stylish artwork. Love the American flag belt buckle he put on the biker. I can't remember what the critics found wrong about it, but I think it should have definitely been right up there at the top with Cleen's and Old Wise Crusty Tattooface Man's.

Speaking of Cleen(and this just may be my bias/dislike of him prejudicing me against him), I hate how he brags about being a major gearhead who knows everything about choppers, motorcycles and hotrods, and how all these other artists could never draw a correctly detailed, beautiful, American Traditional motorcycle as well as him, and then all he does is make a boring design of just a motorcycle engine over a Puerto Rican flag(lol)with a couple of random shapes floating in the background. I know he turns in technically near-perfect work with good coloring, but the dude just has boring designs and tattoos, and I don't think he deserved the Top Tattoo honors, especially since it was American Traditional and he made his flag in a way that it's more easily recognized as a different country's than America's(though I guess you could argue the technicality that Puerto Rico is part of America)

savinhill fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 11, 2016

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Here's a question for the thread: What's the worst tattoo in the show's history?

This is an awesome question! Right off the bat I submit this lovely image by our favorite maniac, Kyle Dunbar.

I know there are a ton more out there, like Roland's Acid Cat and Mystical Mike's ugly skin cutout, but I can't find solid images of them. I'll also try to dig up some more because it's a good question and it's fun to look at some of the uglier submissions created.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That "Grandma Hellraiser" was comically hideous, but it doesn't involved botched anatomy or inability to handle basic fundamentals so it can't really be in the running for worst if you're being honest

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I think Cleen's flag was fair enough, since the white star and blue & red stripes are pretty synonymous with America, even though other flags (notably Puerto Rico) have them. I think most people are going to jump to America first when they see that imagery. It's not like doing an Irish flag with a really deep shade of orange, that makes it look Italian.

But yeah, I think they only gave him the win because he really hit the American Traditional theme. There were cooler looking ones for sure.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I meant new school earlier. I want to see St. Marq do New School.

Cris - He should have gone for deeper blacks and more negative space, but the more I look at this the more I like it. It's a shame this got him sent home, because I really don't think it's bad. It's risky trying to pull out too many stops on older flesh anyway. I actually think the placement is really really good.

I seem to be in the minority but for as much as I enjoyed Cris this tattoo was not good. It's totally unreadable from a distance. I also really, really hate how much white ink they let artists get away with on this show. It doesn't matter as much on an 80-year-old dude but the only breathing room Cris allowed in this tattoo was in white ink. Once that yellows and fades it's going to be even worse. I'm 100% with him on doing what the client wants and that was not a dude who wanted color. But he could have done a badass black and gray tattoo and instead he did a black outline gray and white.

Alex's wheels were completely ridiculous. St. Marq's are bad but in a way that can be explained (mostly) by over-exaggeration. It's a lovely tattoo but honestly the only one besides Cleen's to have good bold outlines so that deserved a mention. I only half-listened so maybe I'm wrong but I thought they hit him on some other stuff.

Picasso is great.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

There was a horse a couple of seasons back that was just magical.

uncle_skin
Feb 23, 2004
THIS "sexy pinup" has got to be a contender for worst tattoo ever on the show.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I like sloth ladies

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I forgot about those! Derp faces for all! And yeah, while Kyle's was technically correct and probably looks ok healed, the extra details make it look like Leatherface after it was done.

detectivemonkey posted:

I seem to be in the minority but for as much as I enjoyed Cris this tattoo was not good. It's totally unreadable from a distance. I also really, really hate how much white ink they let artists get away with on this show.

No, you aren't the only one. It always kind of bums me out to see how someone can't even get the basics of black and grays/gray washes. That seems like a fundamental that is often forgotten.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Flyinglemur posted:

I think Oliver nailed it when he said "He's not getting how this competition works" or however he said it. Yeah I get that you had to live with rules when you were young so gently caress RULES and this is a great country to do that in, but if you want to win a competition and it is pretty clear that you have to do the style given you, well then there you go. It's different from when dude did it once last year (I forget his name - eventual winner) because I think the producers probably got the vibe that it was going to be like this EVERY week with him. I too enjoyed the crazy, but he probably wasn't going to start falling in line because Communism.

Escaping a communist country does not mean you get a free pass on all the rules ever and forever, buddy.

Not Today Satan posted:

Her attitude was also just stupid. "I shouldn't be penalized for something I don't understand". That's not how a competition works!

I know dick about cars and bikes but I would have stayed awake until sun up looking at references and practing my drawing. Even if I had to force her to simplify it. I'd be like, I got myself doing this well, we can hide it on your rear end if you want or I can give you your lovely arm tattoo. You pick.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
While all three tattoos were awful Cleen really should have went home, holy poo poo that thing looked ugly as sin. The dude who got it was hilarious though "Oh man, I wanna be so cool and like have all these ladies and have people taking pictures of me and like I'm on the red carpet and and and"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

While all three tattoos were awful Cleen really should have went home, holy poo poo that thing looked ugly as sin. The dude who got it was hilarious though "Oh man, I wanna be so cool and like have all these ladies and have people taking pictures of me and like I'm on the red carpet and and and"

Yeah, and it was bullshit when the canvas said noone on the human canvas jury had criticized any technical aspects(I loved when one of them said that the girl in the tattoo looked like she didn't even wanna be there and it focused on her hosed-up looking face with the hearts floating around it's head that made it look more like the dude's superhero powers were date-rape related than any of the silly poo poo he was asking for). I really wish Ashley hadn't hosed up so many technical details, cuz it gave the judges way too easy of an out not to kick(or even focus too much on) Cleen, who they clearly don't want to boot ever.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

OldTennisCourt posted:

I couldn't stop laughing at the boobs he gave that girl.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Alex is just terrible and I'm really not sure how he made it on the show. I was also confused as to why they praised his tattoo this week, it clearly was the worst tattoo.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Luvcow posted:

Alex is just terrible and I'm really not sure how he made it on the show. I was also confused as to why they praised his tattoo this week, it clearly was the worst tattoo.

Seriously the face looked awful, how did no one focus on it. I kept waiting for someone to say "It looks okay but...the gently caress?"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Agreed. It was so ugly and looked unfinished

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

blue squares posted:

Agreed. It was so ugly and looked unfinished
surprising he didn't get any heat for it, but supremely lucky that manjaw did not know proper anatomy or how to foreshorten at all

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Here's the gallery for the Superhero challenge: http://imgur.com/a/TWcKM

Kind of an interesting challenge but there was a lot of mediocre going on. Ashley's piece is just so hosed anatomically. The whole lower body area is just so oddly done that I can't tell if I'm looking at a crotch or a butt. I also don't get the frogs in Cleen's but that whole thing is a giant mess. Sausage definitely deserved the win for sure.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
90% of those tattoos are of the quality that I would expect from the shithole tattoo shop down the street, not from ~the best in the industry~ or however they bill themselves in the show.

Seriously that thing Ashley did. Stomach boobs ahoy.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Alex must have compromising photos of Navarro and the other judges otherwise I have no idea how he can still be there, his tattoo was by far the worst again yet they send Picasso home. I don't get it...

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

90% of those tattoos are of the quality that I would expect from the shithole tattoo shop down the street, not from ~the best in the industry~ or however they bill themselves in the show.

Seriously that thing Ashley did. Stomach boobs ahoy.

Increasingly, the problem with the show is that most good tattoo artists wouldn't go near it. They used to have good guest judges all the time and even that is rare now. They've had to bring back 8 good artists from past seasons this time around and every related show (redemption, the holiday specials) just recycle from that talent pool.

I was at a tattoo convention getting work done. Oliver Peck was there and just sat alone at his table like all the other good artists. I didn't see anyone go get their picture taken with him or anything. It was really interesting to see. Conventions are now split into the "come look at our ink masters and other pretty terrible artists" and "good artists who we have vetted and approved are here to do work on you". This was the latter kind.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Even going back to season 3 or so, it's becoming obvious who has a chance at the finale and who doesn't, pretty much from the get-go. The returning veterans gimmick is an effective one, but only Christian and maybe Anthony look like they're getting anywhere near it this time. I kinda hate seeing all these new artists leaving so soon, but each has had a fair enough reason to.

If I had to pick it now, I'd say Cleen, Christian, and wild card on Jesse.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I just can't wait to see Jesse come back. For some reason I really like the expressions he makes during judging critiques; he's usually standing there with arms crossed and brows furrowed in a way that says "I'm listening and taking it in and I'll incorporate it into the next challenge, but I also think you're kind of full of poo poo".

Seconding the question of allowing Alex to stay. Maybe they're keeping him on just for the drama effect, but meh.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I remember hating Sausage during his run, but he seems like he's mellowed out. I loved his confessional from the flash challenge where he went, paraphrased, "I want to talk poo poo about Anthony, but...I really can't. He's good."

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

This week's gallery: http://imgur.com/a/lc79p

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
St. Marq did a really ugly tattoo.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I get the criticisms, but I do not understand how Megan was in the bottom and St. Marq was not. That's an abomination.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

I 100% did not understand the critique on Picasso. That mask tattoo was awesome. Also Cheetah girls husband was a punk bitch. Cris should've cleaned that guys loving clock.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I get the criticisms, but I do not understand how Megan was in the bottom and St. Marq was not. That's an abomination.

That was probably the patented Nunez act like a smug prick rear end in a top hat but mask it by saying "I'm just trying to light a fire under this artist with potential" pick of this season

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I 100% did not understand the critique on Picasso. That mask tattoo was awesome. Also Cheetah girls husband was a punk bitch. Cris should've cleaned that guys loving clock.

That really was a funny episode for all the wrong reasons. I love how the husband who wasn't there was like, "I saw everything! (on tv)".

I thought Picasso's idea was interesting but possibly not the best executed. Alex's and Marq's were just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Not Today Satan posted:

I thought Picasso's idea was interesting but possibly not the best executed. Alex's and Marq's were just dumb.

Alex - Dumb. If one were to just look at it for the first time I'm sure a response would be "Why the gently caress is there a tree?" It doesn't fit at all.

St. Marq - Just bad. Looks like a kids' drawing. All the lines he has on the mask seem way too much in a small area. The more I look at the tree the more it looks like a green cloud behind a tree. They don't seem to be one.

Picasso - I do like the style of it. Seems to look more like a crown to wear than a mask.

• Locked thread