Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Alex - Dumb. If one were to just look at it for the first time I'm sure a response would be "Why the gently caress is there a tree?" It doesn't fit at all.

St. Marq - Just bad. Looks like a kids' drawing. All the lines he has on the mask seem way too much in a small area. The more I look at the tree the more it looks like a green cloud behind a tree. They don't seem to be one.

Picasso - I do like the style of it. Seems to look more like a crown to wear than a mask.

Yeah, I'm in the camp that teaching a good artist to be technically sound is a lot easier than dealing with someone who has the technical ability down but can't draw for poo poo and has an absolutely terrible attitude. I fully disagree with this week's judging but it is what it is.

I think St. Marq just phoned it in on this one knowing he wouldn't be going home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
If there's anything I've learned over the course of this silly show it's that actually skilled, well-rounded artists are in an infintesimal small minority compared to technical pros who can just get by on gutting it out and exercising their skillset. This is insanely evident every single time the contest ever calls for the field to draw pinups with actual anatomy and nice faces that are also creative. It's a bummer to lose Picasso so soon and it's incredibly telling that they wouldn't stop lauding his artistic ability, because he really does stand out that much in the entire history of the competition after only 5 episodes lol

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

TheRationalRedditor posted:

If there's anything I've learned over the course of this silly show it's that actually skilled, well-rounded artists are in an infintesimal small minority compared to technical pros who can just get by on gutting it out and exercising their skillset. This is insanely evident every single time the contest ever calls for the field to draw pinups with actual anatomy and nice faces that are also creative. It's a bummer to lose Picasso so soon and it's incredibly telling that they wouldn't stop lauding his artistic ability, because he really does stand out that much in the entire history of the competition after only 5 episodes lol

pretty much this :eng99:

it's interesting seeing these people go outside their comfort zones and watching the quality of their work drop precipitously off a cliff into shitsville

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow St. Marq actually got eliminated.

And I think it was the right choice.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

Wow St. Marq actually got eliminated.

And I think it was the right choice.

Yeah, you could tell they would've loved to be able to justify picking Alex instead, but St Marq's color just sucked too much on color challenge day.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Ironically, if Marq had done a simpler piece like Alex, he probably would have stayed. But that background was all kinds of weird.

Figured he'd be the first vet gone, and not just because he was the first to return. Matti seems like he won't make it too long, and I'm not sure about Jime considering he did an ok job at his own specialty.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

This week's gallery: http://imgur.com/a/r8x06

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Does anyone else hate the mouth on Cleen's dinosaur?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

savinhill posted:

Does anyone else hate the mouth on Cleen's dinosaur?

It has like two teeth and some gums. What the gently caress?

Also how did Alex get through? Seeing the images again I really wish he'd been sent home.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

My worst this week was Megan's. It is utterly atrocious and were she not promising on other work she's produced, she should have gone home on that.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

getting rid of St.Marq instead of irritable dweeb kid with no talent is a huge mistake, he's a constant source of comedy and probably the funniest talking head in the show's whole history (next to mystikal mike except with skill). IT'S CRAIG ALL OVER AGAIN

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya Rockoff should gently caress off. That pregnant surfing dinosaur was terrible.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

getting rid of St.Marq instead of irritable dweeb kid with no talent is a huge mistake, he's a constant source of comedy and probably the funniest talking head in the show's whole history (next to mystikal mike except with skill). IT'S CRAIG ALL OVER AGAIN

Yeah, just the fact that he manages to get the normally utterly humorless Chris Nunez to laugh and smile says a hell of a lot. It was a complete bummer for me both times he was eliminated from the show. At least this season the tattoos should keep getting better and better, we still got Goon Girlfriend coming on the show.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Couldn't agree more. At least St. Marq has some talent and seems to just get this whole competition thing. That Alex guy is just obnoxious without the actual talent to back up his 'tude.

Anthony continues to surprise me though. Not only with his talent but his ability to maintain an even temper during all the scenes he's in.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Not Today Satan posted:

Couldn't agree more. At least St. Marq has some talent and seems to just get this whole competition thing. That Alex guy is just obnoxious without the actual talent to back up his 'tude.

Anthony continues to surprise me though. Not only with his talent but his ability to maintain an even temper during all the scenes he's in.

Like, that's the thing. St Marq is good at his narrow little wheelhouse, but that's where it begins and ends. He's an insufferable prick in his talking heads and the loft scenes. I'm glad his ego got dashed again.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

Like, that's the thing. St Marq is good at his narrow little wheelhouse, but that's where it begins and ends. He's an insufferable prick in his talking heads and the loft scenes. I'm glad his ego got dashed again.

St Marq is pretty much doing an always-in-character comedic trolling performance whenever he's ever on Ink Master, and it works great for him. While I'm sure he'd love to win the competition, I doubt that's his highest priority when going on the show.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

St Marq annoyed me to start with, but especially on this season he became a favourite character. He's hamming it up so hard, he's an adorable tiny hobbit-man and just silly fun.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I think I said when Redemption started last year, the drama was refreshing because it felt very candid and unscripted. This season, especially tonight's episode with Emily, feels super scripted. Especially starting with the scene with her former rival Aaron "I'm glad we patched things up, now I have to go redeem myself with the canvas". It was like a scene out of LA Ink a decade ago

Anyways, happy to see Alex gone, glad to see Sarah is still insane. "Surreal female faces with 75% of the face showing" is the worst challenge subject yet, no wonder almost none of the tattoos were any good on a season with more good artists than past seasons.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i was actually starting root for alex as a joke winner because ehe should have gone home week 1.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

creationist believer posted:

I think I said when Redemption started last year, the drama was refreshing because it felt very candid and unscripted. This season, especially tonight's episode with Emily, feels super scripted. Especially starting with the scene with her former rival Aaron "I'm glad we patched things up, now I have to go redeem myself with the canvas". It was like a scene out of LA Ink a decade ago

No way baby Jesus dude wanted her tattoo.

Also that episode really highlighted how long they let her stay because she brought drama. Did they really have no shame in saying "hey she tried to redeem herself after destroying this person's body but it didn't work. Luckily we have three other people whose bodies she managed to gently caress up before we kicked her off"?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Not Today Satan posted:

He is my pick currently to win. See how that goes with that vets return and what not but he has been pretty solid so far.

creationist believer posted:

Anyways, happy to see Alex gone, glad to see Sarah is still insane. "Surreal female faces with 75% of the face showing" is the worst challenge subject yet, no wonder almost none of the tattoos were any good on a season with more good artists than past seasons.

Alex being sent home was right. I'm still not sure what she meant by that after seeing them. Such a weird subject matter. I miss them having professional known artist for a specific style as guest judge when they attempt their style.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

defectivemonkey posted:

No way baby Jesus dude wanted her tattoo.

Also that episode really highlighted how long they let her stay because she brought drama. Did they really have no shame in saying "hey she tried to redeem herself after destroying this person's body but it didn't work. Luckily we have three other people whose bodies she managed to gently caress up before we kicked her off"?

I haven't watched the latest Redemption episode but can't believe they had that annoying attention starved drama queen Emily on again, how many times are they going to give her a chance at redeption? She's already had at least three, and the last one, just an episode or two ago had her just saying "gently caress it and gently caress you' and basically storming off like a big weepy baby

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I didn't think the challenge was that hard to understand. Just like with surrealist paintings, you're basically blending odd shapes to create recognizable images. It's almost just a biomechanical challenge with stuff other than machines. Half of them just did weird headdresses.

Megan's tattoo was great, but as soon as you whine about wanting to leave, you're done. The others are going to hate you, the fans are going to hate you, and you're going to hate yourself, even with best of the day.

Granted she got hit with a not ideal canvas, but Sarah's design was just bad. A raven's head like a little hat on top of her head and that's it. Not even surreal. If not for Alex, she very well could have gone home.

Also, Emily's just kinda lame. Her character got old quick, her work is ok at best, and I think she's had her run. But she did a pretty job with these three.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When the vets return they should always expect to get the worst skull. Instead they've always been surprised and a little annoyed by their skull pick. They chose the subject but why they're not ready for the worst canvas and the worst concept in beyond me. This isn't your first rodeo, Sarah!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Loved Sarah explaining surrealism as originating from the subconscious mind to Clean ...and then her own tattoo isn't surreal and mostly looks like a bird on top of a head.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

When the vets return they should always expect to get the worst skull. Instead they've always been surprised and a little annoyed by their skull pick. They chose the subject but why they're not ready for the worst canvas and the worst concept in beyond me. This isn't your first rodeo, Sarah!

Well they haven't done this format before so every returning vet only has the idea of the old style. After you get that introductory lovely skull they realize getting shafted right away loving sucks so we better do that for the next guy.

I hope future vets have better themes than last one, or at least explain it better. Everyone was confused as gently caress at what to do exactly and we got a pile of lovely tattoos all over the map. Clean is usually one of my favorites but his was crap.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 9, 2016

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Yeah, this was a rough week for everyone.

This week's gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/KPLOq

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Actually pretty surprised Sarah crashed so early. Partly due to bad luck, but some of the decisions she made were foolish. With Megan Jean ready to leave, guess we're not in for a female Ink Master this season either.

Jesse's my dark horse to win. Think he might make it to the finale provided he doesn't get tripped up again.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

OmegaBR posted:

Actually pretty surprised Sarah crashed so early. Partly due to bad luck, but some of the decisions she made were foolish. With Megan Jean ready to leave, guess we're not in for a female Ink Master this season either.

Jesse's my dark horse to win. Think he might make it to the finale provided he doesn't get tripped up again.

I was amazed at Jesse's black and gray portrait. I really remember him as the "NEW SCHOOL ALL THE TIME GUY" so to see that he improved a huge hole in his game was amazing. Sarah crashed because she's neurotic in the context of Ink Master. I'm sure she's a wonderful person in real life, but gently caress she gets on this show and she just seems to lose her goddamn mind.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Bill Clinton looked like Louie Armstrong.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Billrack Clintbama

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SalTheBard posted:

I was amazed at Jesse's black and gray portrait. I really remember him as the "NEW SCHOOL ALL THE TIME GUY" so to see that he improved a huge hole in his game was amazing. Sarah crashed because she's neurotic in the context of Ink Master. I'm sure she's a wonderful person in real life, but gently caress she gets on this show and she just seems to lose her goddamn mind.

It was incredible how tone deaf she must have been.

Dude1: uh, complicated stencil...

Sarah: :words:

Dude2: So, uh, what's your...plan?...

Dude3: poo poo, girl, that's ridiculous.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I forgot how poorly she deals with pressure in this competition. She's basically the polar opposite of St. Marq as far as attitudes go in this competition. She also makes some really funny faces.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I like how Ink Master Cruzman still can't draw a face to save his life, so he had to weasel his way out of giving that lady on the latest episode of Redemption the female warrior tattoo she wanted, what a lovely winner he was.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else think that the surrealism thing was pushed on Sarah? I don't remember her doing a lot of surrealism her last time around, just realistic stuff but with fantasy/scifi elements, and she's didn't seem to know what it was when explaining or making her own piece. Surrealism is one of the themes they hit every season (or most seasons) but I don't think any vet is going to come in and request that so they've got to engineer it. And the next episode is portraits... yah, they already had that planned for Jesse so they had to come up with something else for Sarah.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I could believe either. Jesse may have picked portraits legitimately, but then they added the fact that it was political figures.

And Sarah's such a nut I'm sure she was gung ho about surrealism legitimately, she just ended up with a less than ideal canvas.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don't think Sarah is that much of a nut. She's just as aggressive and full of bluster as many of the guys; it just gets filtered through the crazy-lens because women, am I right? She's just to competitive and goal oriented not to have thought through what she wanted to do when called back. Surrealism isn't in her wheelhouse and there's no way she wouldn't have practiced it like crazy of she was going to do something different. She didn't now what the gently caress she was doing because she didn't plan to do a surreal piece; the producers threw it at her and she jumped on it with the same over-confidence as she does everything.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The majority of wacky stress faces she pulls for reactions but also in scenes for no reason has always strongly suggested she's legitimately half nuts. Not that she's alone in that pool with fields of competitors like this. It's not like the other wackbags get a free pass when they act coconuts, it's the lifeblood of the show

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
See, the wacky faces are what makes me disbelieve. They're just too frequent and too obvious. My cynical side just says they saw she had some interesting expressions early on and then they started pulling her aside every episode just to make faces so they could cut them in wherever. Speaking of producer manipulation, what are the odds some of the vets came on with the express purpose of not making it to the finally? Come back on for a handful of episodes, get some more publicity, and then get back on with their lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

While the merit is debatable, being called an Ink Master is the best publicity the show can give you. I don't think any of them would agree to come back without at least a hope that they would win. Especially when you consider most of the vets are finalists, and beating them all out is a fair accomplishment.

• Locked thread