Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There's no real legal trickery you can implement that wouldn't undermine the entire concept of a fair trail. It's all 100% character assessment on some people that promiscuous woman = she had it coming or whatever. That's the only real remaining hurdle at this point. Absent a total surveillance society, you're never stopping all crime ever, which I'm more than happy to implement, for you, just so long as I'm the one doing the surveillance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Flowers For Algeria posted:

When do we start?
PM me your dick. If it's inside another person, I'm also gonna need their face. Then just keep doing that, I guess. I call it the P2P police state, it's very disruptive.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Changing standards will also change incentives. If you lower the requirements for guilt, then the system will be abused to settle petty disputes and, worse, used as a weapon by the powerful against the powerless. It also sets a legal precedent that's difficult to reverse and likely to spread, and that precedent is going to be used in...interesting ways. Shut up about fiddling with the legal system, it's not going to work.

Also lets get real with consent here: the average person knows what it looks like when they see it. You don't need to play paperwork with courtship. Rapists don't rape because their not sure, but because they don't care.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

You know it's remarkable how many times people assert that and then it turns out that they really don't.
There are definitely some people that don't, that'll purposefully ignore it because it's inconvenient for them - they're in the minority. The majority of people? They know, they're not dumb. You can trick them in court by lying, but if you could show them everything, from start to finish, they'd know.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So it's non enforceable then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The rest is fine, but there are two problems, which I'll hope you'll either go into or show how they're misplaced/wrong:

1. What standard is being applied to determine whether or not the consent was affirmative, and what are the acceptable 'languages' that this can be expressed in? It makes some pretty obvious statements of what is not affirmative, which seem reasonable, but that distinction isn't defined here. Does it appear somewhere else?
2. Does requiring a lower standard for Campus discpline mean that those disciplinary measures are still applied, even if they're acquitted in a criminal case, and that if a Uni doesn't do this, they lose their funding? Or am I misreading that?

• Locked thread