Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yeah all joking aside, basically this. And not only what rape and consent are, but also what makes it wrong and teach empathy.

A thing that is common to many rapists and especially child rapists is their inability to empathize with victims. They don't see what's wrong, they give themselves the excuse that they were educating their victim, or that the victim liked it, or that it wasn't so bad. People are very good at deluding themselves. That's why culture has got to change.

I agree with this. Rape is, by its nature and not by a failure of the system, hard to prosecute. We have a duty to see the accused is treated as innocent until proven guilty. The only way that we could prove more people guilty beyond a reasonable doubt is through undesirable means such as surveillance culture, and lowering the burden of proof would lead to the MRA bogeyman of people being thrown in jail on terrible evidence becoming a genuine threat. I would feel very enraged and powerless if I got raped by some sneaky character who was able to cover his tracks well enough to avoid conviction, and I'm sure this happens relatively frequently, but there's not much to be done about it.

So the answer is to prevent as much rape as possible. You can do this partially by providing a deterrent (having proven cases of rape be punished extremely harshly) and helping women/vulnerable men defend themselves in various ways (guns, self defence, situational awareness, impress on them they always have the right to say no, and structural improvements in prison). That is basically what the right wing suggests, and while it could help a bit, deterrence sentencing actually has a relatively weak effect and relying exclusively on the latter puts an unfair burden on the potential victims. That's why combating rape culture is important. Interviews with convicted rapists show that, contrary to what some people insist, most of them believe that they are doing something that is accepted or even celebrated (in a wink-wink, nudge-nudge manner) by society. They do this in a way that suggests it isn't just an attempt to dodge responsibility for knowingly offending. Others don't see themselves as rapists because a rapist is just a scary man in a dark alley, and forcing your wife to have sex with you is a good way to enforce the marriage contract. Though some people who want to combat it get a bit extremist and want an unnecessary level of censorship, the fact is that the concept of rape culture itself is valid. There's also some indication that the much-ridiculed "Don't Be That Guy" campaign in Edmonton may have been successful, because there was a 10% drop in reported sexual assaults in Vancouver following it, although correlation isn't causation so take it with a grain of salt.

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

I always have a hard time understanding the typical complaints that are raised when there's a discussion about affirmative consent. Like the person on the previous page who seemed to suggest it was less anxiety-inducing to just up and start loving than to talk about loving. That's an utterly alien concept to me.

Many people who are either LGBT or some kind of pervert have never had the option of not a) openly discussing what they like sexually, or b) developing a complex system of signs and symbols (like the hanky code) to communicate that while maintaining the spontaneity aspect that most heterosexuals take for granted. The assumption that once mutual attraction has been established, both parties share a spiritual understanding of what that will mean in terms of the acts they engage in together, does not make sense in a species that has sex for fun more often than it does to reproduce. Perhaps look towards what gay people do if you want to develop some methods of detailed sexual communication that aren't boner-killing.

• Locked thread