Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

GameCube posted:

nah I mean like ethical offsets. is there some company out there BP pays to plant one baby duck for each one that drowns in oil

i think those are called hail marys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

i wish my comptuer job was to gas threads and ban ops, OP
trust me, you really don't want that job

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I left my computer job at the end of feb because I'm going to an apprenticeship w/ smithsonian research in ohio this summer. I was hired in november and had no projects assigned to me in hte 4 months I had the job so I just browsed and worked on my personal projects for 8 hours a day.
was this computer job at reddit?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

maniacdevnull posted:

It's like, your building a house. And you've got a driver. Really nice one, cordless impact driver, the extended battery, the works. But you come up on a nail. And you just take your really nice, extensive power driver, and just bash the hell out of the nail with the flat side.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Still funny after six years

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i bet he is very happy in his big box

Apr 7, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

i bet he is very happy in his big box

Someone on an offsite managed to look up his house on the county real estate site and found that it lost ~48K in value after his "improvements."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

Someone on an offsite managed to look up his house on the county real estate site and found that it lost ~48K in value after his "improvements."

loving lol

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Citizen Tayne posted:

:eyepop:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my company's main competitor was recently fined $2 million by the FTC for dubious health claims about their product. we managed to avoid scrutiny by not being as big as them.

my brother works for a company that does websites for "ethical" clients like women's health charities and environmental NGOs. I'd be inclined to work there but they only do web poo poo so, nope.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 9, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

GameCube posted:

can you buy ethics credits like carbon credits

Tell me more about how I can become ethics neutral. Do I need to donate to the vim charity already (it doesn't even get rid of the interstitial; I've considered maintaining a private fork to kill that dumb message)?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

GameCube posted:

can you buy ethics credits like carbon credits

honestly you could get vc funding for this

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

honestly you could get vc funding for this

somebody tell me how to patent a system or method of selling bundles of kindness to big corporations in order to balance their brand image.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that's easy, just use my friend's startup, patentr. unofficially, they're run out of the palantir office in palo alto, because the mexican guards can't tell the difference between the company names on their badges

if you get into trouble with the uspto, feel free to look up my business partner on lawyr.io

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I mean that's pretty much what companies already do with volunteer/charity work. our company gives us one volunteer day off per year, but we have to volunteer through one particular charity and wear t-shirts advertising our company while we do it so everybody can see that We Care

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

just wanted to mention that i agree that half life 2 is a bad game

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

i write bioinformatics software for studying genomes and gene expression, and one of my project has the end goal of making GMO plants that feed twice as many mouths with half as much water

so to europe and my fellow liberals i'm demonstrably worse than hitler

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Stymie posted:

just wanted to mention that i agree that half life 2 is a bad game

finally ur talking sense

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MayorOfFrance posted:

i write bioinformatics software for studying genomes and gene expression, and one of my project has the end goal of making GMO plants that feed twice as many mouths with half as much water

how dare you try to end hunger
if people aren't starving how am I supposed to feel better than others for eating organic locally sourced grass fed free range shiba inu?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

MayorOfFrance posted:

GMO s are cool until u realise plants that feed twice as many people for half as much water just means the company selling them makes more profit, not that more people get fed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Stux posted:

GMO s are cool until u realise plants that feed twice as many people for half as much water just means the company selling them makes more profit, not that more people get fed.

that's one potential outcome, but the target isn't really current agri-businesses, who sell their wares to US farms with effectively-free water rights, and is probably why you only see token efforts at drought-tolerance traits by the big firms

so its probably more of an insurance policy for the post-apocalypse after all the wells are bled dry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only thing we need to repopulate is a couple duggars in cold storage and some vacuum sealed bags of casserole seeds

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MayorOfFrance posted:

that's one potential outcome, but the target isn't really current agri-businesses, who sell their wares to US farms with effectively-free water rights, and is probably why you only see token efforts at drought-tolerance traits by the big firms

so its probably more of an insurance policy for the post-apocalypse after all the wells are bled dry

it's total bullshit that golden rice isn't keeping africa fed

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

GameCube posted:

nah I mean like ethical offsets. is there some company out there BP pays to plant one baby duck for each one that drowns in oil

reclamation / remediation no? often bullshit cause it's too complicated to deal with

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
the business model could just be to put companies in charge with people whose everyday job is to do really unethical things, and the company pays them not to

every day you turn up to work and spend it calling up old people to trick them into installing "windows security" trojans for your botnet, but for every $50 coca cola pays you, you take a ten minute break and they get an ethics credit to offset their other moral crimes

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I [28/m] have been a programmer for 12 years. I am self taught, but I make a decent living running my own programming business (related to WordPress).
My GF [30/f] is about to start her own business in massage therapy and needs to setup a WordPress website, make a nice layout and do basic SEO. Instead of wanting to talk to me and let me teach her how to do stuff, she is wanting to take a free online class and learn herself.
I asked her about it and she said she feels like the professor is more trained, regarding the subject, then me.
Do I know everything regarding the subject? Definitely not. But we are talking about really basic knowledge here - that I am definitely capable of teaching; and have taught to others before. It hurts my feelings that she views me as incompetent regarding one of the few subjects that I actually know a ton about.
I am getting the feeling from her that just because I don't have a formal education on the subject that I am a poor source of knowledge.
I am not trying to control her and make her only learn from me, that would be wrong. I am just hurt that she seems to view my knowledge as worthless. I don't understand why she can't let me teach her and also take the online class at the same time.
How do I / we move forward?
tl;dr: GF views my knowledge regarding computer science as worthless; won't let me teach her anything.

Apr 7, 2003

Paying people to promote your website is now Computer Science.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Citizen Tayne posted:

Paying people to promote your website is now Computer Science.

wordpress templates is programming what is this dystopia its not the one i was promised in the gibsonverse

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BONGHITZ posted:

I [28/m] have been a programmer for 12 years. I am self taught, but I make a decent living running my own programming business (related to WordPress).
My GF [30/f] is about to start her own business in massage therapy and needs to setup a WordPress website, make a nice layout and do basic SEO. Instead of wanting to talk to me and let me teach her how to do stuff, she is wanting to take a free online class and learn herself.
I asked her about it and she said she feels like the professor is more trained, regarding the subject, then me.
Do I know everything regarding the subject? Definitely not. But we are talking about really basic knowledge here - that I am definitely capable of teaching; and have taught to others before. It hurts my feelings that she views me as incompetent regarding one of the few subjects that I actually know a ton about.
I am getting the feeling from her that just because I don't have a formal education on the subject that I am a poor source of knowledge.
I am not trying to control her and make her only learn from me, that would be wrong. I am just hurt that she seems to view my knowledge as worthless. I don't understand why she can't let me teach her and also take the online class at the same time.
tl;dr: GF views my knowledge regarding computer science as worthless; won't let me teach her anything.

lol

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Jonny 290 posted:

the only thing we need to repopulate is a couple duggars in cold storage and some vacuum sealed bags of casserole seeds

I know the parents were prolific but it remains to be seen if the children could reliably repopulate the planet

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Stux posted:

stay out of my threads bitch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

stay out of my threads bitch

I probated him for you.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i ruthlessly destroy jobs on the one hand but otoh i also remove legal fig leafs / save companies lots of money via the good kind of efficiency gains

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
this is complicated by the fact that our clients range from evil mega-corps to still mega-corps but not the evil kind so idk, op

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

lomarf

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Powercrazy posted:

Please don't work at any position that requires clearance.

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Necc0 posted:

this is complicated by the fact that our clients range from evil mega-corps to still mega-corps but not the evil kind so idk, op

well i guess the question is whether the shadowrunners hired to gently caress up said mega-corps would be considered the good guys or terrorists

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i think it would all depend on your perspective before hand. this ethics stuff is hard :/

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ok then let's assume one of them is a magical indian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
my company is unethical, but im a poo poo employee so it cancels out

• Locked thread