Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RuanGacho posted:

Its going to sound jingoistic but large reasons why China's investment over the past few years are not blossoming into a new economic renaissance is because of their lack of freedom to exploit it. When you regulate ideas, it will ensure economic stagnation because no one can act in a way outside the initial blessing of the party.

The CCP really does not give a poo poo in 99% of scenarios, or at least they value money more. China today is fairly similar to historical accounts of the US about 100 years ago, right down to the rivers that catch on fire and the blatant disregard for the environment. I'm sure if the US and Europe got firebombed in 30 years (like how we benefited in WW2) China would have economic dominance too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacewolf posted:

Um. As someone in the situation, I might say you're focusing on the wrong unemployment rate.

The unemployment rate commonly quoted only counts people who've been looking for work in the past six (I think) months.

There are a *lot* of people who've dropped out of the workforce, quit looking for work, etc. because they've gotten discouraged.

Even with the U6 we're back to 2008 levels.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacewolf posted:

Yeah, but look at the workforce participation rate.

Which has been declining since 2000?

• Locked thread