Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Char
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

This is made evident in the industrial revolution, where tools were created to make life easier for labour, but it ultimately resulted in hundreds of people being maimed in machinery or dying of TB in lovely mills with all the proceeds going to capital.

Isn't the development of an AGI one of the basis for the third industrial revolution? I mean, technology is continuously improving the efficiency of man-hours, but once a machine manages to be scientifically more accurate than humans on diagnosis/analysis/decision-based thought processes, won't many jobs be in a similar position to manual laborers after the first field-test of the steam engine?

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think eugenics is a particularly palatable idea even when a computer does it.

Should a computer deserve more trust on such a matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I should say that while the tools had the potential to be a massively convenient thing for labour, and this is certainly how they're pitched, no self-serving captain of capital will have those tools and not push them to the limits because capitalism demands constant growth, everything else be damned.

This is what scares me the most. If they can really improve efficiency by such factors, these tools will allow even more centralization of capital. This is the cutting edge of companies who already are close to the center of the centralization process.

The thing I don't get, regarding automation and AI, is... these are technologies meant to increase work efficiency and reduce the need for workers. Are governments and societies really answering to the unemployment that technology creates, or are they letting the problem fix itself? Does the "new jobs will arise" mantra tell the trusth? This is a honest question to the more educated, because I'm just working off assumptions. I assume there's getting less and less room for skill translation from job to job, and the employment of AGIs creates a smaller need, comparativeily speaking to the unemployment it will create, for professions which need years of study. I'm figuring more skilled laborers left in the dust compared to what happened in the past.

Edit: on a semi-related note: AlphaGo is 2-0 against the second best Go player in the world. The Go subreddit has interesting discussions about the fact.

Char fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 10, 2016

• Locked thread