Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ddraig posted:

I very much doubt AI will be the solution to the world's problems, mainly because human beings are fallible and I believe that the ability to be wrong is a vital part of the way problem solving works.

We have so little understanding of how our own brain, an already extant intelligence, works so the idea that we will be able to create a fully functional system that is superior to us when we don't even understand what exactly "intelligence" is seems far fetched.
I think it's absurd to think both that minds as powerful as ours emerged from nothing but random genetic mutations and natural selection and that the direct application of human intelligence to the problem is fundamentally incapable of ever doing even a little bit better. I'm not making any timeframe predictions but do you really think we'll *never* understand how brains work the same way we now understand mitosis or electron transport or whatever other intricate biological process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think there's an ethical problem with creating minds intelligent enough to do all these things and treating them like slave labor. Maybe AI can be intelligent without being conscious, but that seems like a big philosophical unknown.
I agree thoroughly but we need to also make sure the AIs feel that way about us.

• Locked thread