Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
We all love watching anime, but how about listening to people talk about anime? Maybe you're the one talking about anime and want to get the word out.

This thread is for sharing and discussing various anime podcasts.

Have one you like a bunch? Share it!
Have a podcast of your own? Share it! (And if you have a new episode out, post that too!)
Thinking of starting your own? Maybe talk about it here too, I guess?

I'll link whatever podcasts people want to share in this post, for easy access. Go ahead and share YouTube versions and video podcast links as well. (Please share things so it doesn't look like I made a thread just to plug my own poo poo.)

Podcast List:
  • Anime Kiwi (RSS | iTunes | Google Play | YouTube) - Goon mikeycp talks with two co-hosts about a movie or episodes of a series. Currently Watching: Legend of the Galactic Heroes and various movies. (Note: Their feed and contains all of mikeycp's podcasts, so sometimes non-anime content will pop up. Ditto for YT.)
  • Animation Dissection (RSS | iTunes) - Hosts Neeksy and Zorak watch and analyze animated films and TV shows, looking closely at the moving parts to figure out why they work (or in many cases don't). Let's explore the world of cartoons through vivisection! Metaphorically. Sometimes.
  • Anime World Order (RSS | iTunes) - A podcast all about Japanese cartoons and comics as discussed by three self-proclaimed experts in the world of anime and manga! Plus anime news / reviews, coverage of classic anime, hentai / yaoi, and much, much more.
  • Weekly Manga Recap (RSS) - Hosts Chris Larios & Nikolas Freeman run down the new weekly manga chapters with an eye to critique while still going off on joking tangents.
  • Fast Karate for the Gentleman (RSS) - Two long time friends being funny and talking about anime. Their anime episodes are great, especially any time they dip into 80's OAVs. They cover video games and 24 sometimes as well.
  • Jojo's World (RSS | iTunes) - A fortnightly Jojo's Bizarre Adventure recap and discussion podcast. Roach Warehouse and a friend watch an episode then have an unscripted, largely coherent discussion of its influences, references and anything else that leaps into their heads.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'll start the sharing.

Anime Kiwi Is a podcast that I host with two other people, usually some combination of goons randombattle, cat doter, and Another Person. We currently have two formats running at once, one where we watch 4 episodes of a series each week and talk about them, in the other we pick a movie and talk about it. Our first "season" covers Legend of the Galactic Heroes (though this season maaaaaay end much earlier than intended). We have also covered Summer Wars, and the two Gurren Lagann movies (the episode for the second one will be up in a few days as of this post).

The idea is that the third host is not an "anime person," and the content we pick is chosen to appeal to them and win them over. Think of it as Extreme Home Makeover, except with anime.

We encourage people to watch along and write in. We record on Wednesdays PST (at earliest), and episodes go up sometime on Sunday.

Here are links to our stuff:

Season 1: LoGH & Movie Specials | iTunes | RSS | Website

Please note that all of my podcast projects will pop up on the RSS and iTunes, not just the anime ones, as I can't afford to run hosting for more than one thing. I have no excuse for the YouTube, but I didn't link you to the non-anime stuff here, sooo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oh cool! I didn't know Zorak had a podcast.
I'll definitely give it a listen.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 3, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Awesome! Added you to the list. I just took the tagline from your site, so if you want something different up there, just let me know.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

For music, I grab a few tracks from the OST I like, chop 10-15 seconds out of it for episode bumpers, and upload it to YT early. If Content ID grabs it I try a different track. If not I leave it. It's probably not the most legally sound way to go, but it seems reasonable to me?

I also give music credits in the episode descriptions, of course.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sorry to double post (I won't do it again, probably [I'll just edit new stuff into this post until it's not necessary to do so anymore]), but I wanted to post this week's episode of Anime Kiwi, in which we make someone watch the second Gurren Lagann movie without them having seen the series (we watched the first movie last week).

Anime Kiwi Special #3 - Gurren Lagann: Lagann-hen:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

---
3/13/16

Anime Kiwi Special #4 - Angel's Egg:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

---
3/17/16

Anime Kiwi Watches
Feed Version
YouTube Version
YouTube Doubler

This is a very special bonus commentary track in which we watch In the Aftermath: Angels Never Sleep, a movie that inexplicably used footage from Angel's Egg to help with its narrative.

I realize my instructions at the start are a little off, so please use the names that are read out to sync up. Sorry for the inconvenience. I've put together a YouTube Doubler to make it easier.

---
3/20/16

Anime Kiwi Special #5 - Jin-Roh:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

---
The next episode will be returning to Legend of the Galactic Heroes, episodes 17-20.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 20, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Here's a brand new post for a new episode of Season 1 - Legend of the Galactic Heroes (First Season).

Audio Version
YouTube Version

This week we talk about episodes 17-20 and talk about killing, axes, and things that go on for too long.

Next week is the penultimatefinal episode that will cover episodes 21-26.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 3, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Awesome! Both have been added to the OP!

Ethiser, I hope it's alright that I basically just took your pitch and used it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

This week we did a weird episode that covered the last 6 episodes (21-26) of the first season of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Thanks for listening to whoever was!

Audio Version
YouTube Version

We also watched Cat Soup because it was short and we wanted to!

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Lastly, next week will be a special episode in which I pitch to cat doter four series being considered for Season 2 (The Tatami Galaxy, Mononoke, Kids on the Slope, Haibane Renmei). Please vote in this poll to help us decide what to watch!! http://bit.ly/AKS02POLL

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That would probably be good for a double feature with Koji Shiraishi's Occult.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cool! Thanks! Tatami Galaxy and Kids on the Slope are what I'm most interested in right now, though I haven't watched the first episodes of everything like I wanted to yet.

Definitely glad to have your input on the matter. I'll definitely bring it up in-recording!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's the hope! With the exception of Tatami Galaxy, which I hadn't known about before searching for things to pitch, these are all things I was looking for an excuse to sit down and watch through anyway.

So it's win-win-win-win for me! (I hope)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Anime Kiwi: Season 2 - [Series to be Determined]
Episode 0

This week is the first week of season 2, but we don't know what we're going to watch! Listen to me and cat doter make this very important decision.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

I am very pleased by our decision and look forward to watching it.

We will be doing the same as the last show, 4 episodes per week.

Please Be Excited

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Awesome! I'll add that right into the OP!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Anime Kiwi: Season 2 - Kids on the Slope
Episode 1

This week we watched the first 4 episodes of Kids on the Slope and talked about teens as well as the monetizing of said teens.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

I like this show a lot so far.

We also mentioned in this episode watching a second series this season, since 3 episodes isn't much of a season. I was thinking Nodame or Chihayafuru. Any thoughts one way or the other?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hace posted:

Always Chihayafuru

Your wish is my command. Despite some grumbling from doter, after Kids on the Slope we will be watching Chihayafuru to finish season 2!

(Also the podcast is on Google Play now. If anybody actually cares about that.)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kids on the Slope is really good and I'm going to be very sad when there is no more of it to watch. It owns real hard!

Most Recent Episode (Episode 2):
This week on Anime Kiwi we talked about Zero Escape, Student Riots, and Emotions

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next Time on Anime Kiwi:
I am out of town next week, so there will be no Kids on the Slope chat. Instead we will have a short talk about Death Billiards in Anime Kiwi Special #7

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Most Recent Episode (Special #7):
This week we talked about weird faces and student film. Death Billiards was certainly...something.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next Time on Anime Kiwi:
Next week we will finish up Kids on the Slope and start ramping up to start on Chihayafuru!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Most Recent Episode (Episode 3):
This week on Anime Kiwi we talked about Netflix, Jokes, and Trumpets.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next Time on Anime Kiwi:
Next week we will be talking about episodes 1-4 of Chihayafuru! I'm looking forward to it, but it has a pretty high bar to clear after Kids on the Slope!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We don't try to fill an hour. I don't like to go over that length, but if we have less to talk about then we have absolutely no issue with going short.

I am definitely open to modifying the number of episodes or the format of the show to fit a series, though. The episode count thing is just a relic from when we were going to go through logh in a metered fashion. I think it was a pretty bold stroke of luck that Kids on the Slope broke up into 4 episode blocks so well, TBH.

I don't care for the idea of discussing a whole season on one sitting though. Part of the reason we do it like we do is to lightly emulate the idea of watching something week to week as it airs. But like I said, if an episode runs short it runs short, and it's not like we're always talking about just the show anyway.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Most Recent Episode (Episode 4):
This week on Anime Kiwi we started watching Chihayafuru! We also talked about Pixar, High School, and Griffin McElroy.

Episodes Discussed: Chihayafuru (CF) 1-4

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next Time on Anime Kiwi:
Next week we will be talking about episodes 5-8 of Chihayafuru! Things apparently start really picking up in these next few eps, or so I've heard.

I like it quite a bit so far, though! The characters all seem really good!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Things are still a bit slow going so far in Chihayafuru, but I'm enjoying it. Can't wait for it to really dig into actual Karuta play, though! I've been watching the real stuff and it's super rad.
---
Most Recent Episode (Episode 5):
This week on Anime Kiwi we talked about The Rules of the Game, Bullying, and DOOM.

Episodes Discussed: Chihayafuru 5-8

Audio Version
YouTube Version

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Things have picked up big time since last time we released an episode! I'm liking this show a lot. Sadly though we are almost done and starting to think about our next series. I was thinking of watching Monster and taking the number of episodes discussed down one or two. Thoughts?
---
Most Recent Episode (Episode 6):
Back at last from the world of technical difficulties and scheduling hell is Anime Kiwi!

This week we went over the episodes from The Lost Podcast (9-12) and we also talked about last week's guests, why superhero comics are terrible, and Final Fantasy 14.

Episodes Discussed: Chihayafuru (CF) 9-12 + 13-16

Audio Version
YouTube Version

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I definitely have those at the top though? I'm trying to start conversations about stuff or get answers to questions I have. If anybody else wants to give updates on their stuff they are more than welcome to do so since I don't want this thread to be just my poo poo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

You can safely disregard namtab, mikey

Ok. Good to know.

Daryl Surat posted:

Next stop for us is AnimeNEXT this weekend out in Atlantic City, NJ where we are guests once again. Just our luck that many of our panels are scheduled opposite other things we'd want to see, such as Guest of Honor Rei Hiroe of Black Lagoon fame, but if you attend his Q&A, there's a strong chance that the pre-written questions being asked by whomever is the moderator are ones we supplied. Then again, our questions are possibly way too awesome to make it past any sort of Japanese media representative's filter, such that they'd sooner open it to the floor of people wanting to know "how can I move to Japan and write manga like you?" rather than ask what we put down, but how tremendous would it be if a few went through? THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

What do you do at your panels? Last time I went to an anime con was before podcasts were a big thing so I don't really know how they would go/how they're received. The one time I ran a panel it was a ton of work even though it was a free form thing, so I can't imagine how hard having what I assume a mostly organized thing is.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oh ok. That makes sense. The one I did way back when was a theorycrafting panel after episode 4 of Umineko had just came on, so it was me giving a short overview of When They Cry followed by about 45 minutes of people in the room talking about things that probably weren't the case (I wouldn't know as I never started Chiru for whatever reason and also I don't remember what we talked about.)

Yours sound much better. Best thing that can be said about mine is that I brought cookies to encourage people to step up to the mic.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We're trying to think of a couple movies to watch as movies between specials. Does anybody have suggestions for stuff we might find interesting?
---
Chihayafuru Episode 7 (17-21) (Audio Version | YouTube Version)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hmm. I never considered live action adaptations. This opens us up to a whole new world of possibilities!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

This just left theaters though, didn't it?

Srice posted:

Mind Game is fantastic and is still on Netflix!

I will just let a scene from early in the movie speak for itself, in which our protagonist meets God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTSHOayOyi8&t=177s

This looks rad and I'll look into it!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

But will that hold up if I really didn't like the show? Or if Doter hasn't seen anything about the show?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I somehow disliked K-On even more, so I don't think that'll pan out either.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Namtab posted:

I'm going to run you out of adtrw, your days are numbered

I'm sorry that you feel so strongly about me not liking a bad show.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I respectfully and wholly disagree.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

If you respect neither Haruhi nor K-On you aren't qualified to host an anime podcast.

Even if I did like them, I know for certain that doter would not. I don't want to record multiple episodes of us talking about how bad of a time we're having.

Linnaeus posted:

Uh we seem to have polar opposite anime preferences, but I recommend paprika, mind game, and beautiful dreamer for movies to watch and talk about.

We're actually going to do a probably-pretty-long Satoshi Kon Cast about all of his movies sometime in July with a guest.

Also next week is Princess Mononoke. I'll take the (good) suggestions from you guys and put them in a strawpoll in a day or two to decide the movie we'll watch after that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Here is the final episode of season 2. I liked this show a whole lot.
As I mentioned at the end of the episode, I made a poll with some of the suggestions in this thread for what we should choose as our next special, after Princess Mononoke.

Here it is: http://bit.ly/AKSpecialPoll1
---
Chihayafuru Episode 8 (22-25) (Audio Version | YouTube Version)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's not my fault nobody else talks in here. I ran it by Bad Seafood before I made it and did my best to make the thread an open forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's more than fair. If it happens it happens. No point in trying to force it.

• Locked thread