Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Anime World Order (RSS iTunes) recently passed its 10 year anniversary and the original publicity for it started right here, in this very subforum. I'm one third of the trio and also handle the production and administration side of it. As a rule, we wait to cover series until after they've completed, so our audience has never been the largest on account that most anime fan discussion is based on the latest and greatest. Well, that and we have no formal release schedule and no real presence on Youtube/streaming video sites, aka where the audience is. We know this, but we hate recommending titles which start off strong then fall apart so much that we'll take the massive potential popularity hit rather than feed into that.

Much of what we review are older titles on account that as a result of podcasting, I've been a reviewer with Otaku USA Magazine since its inception and cover the new releases in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Srice posted:

I voted Tatami Galaxy on that poll, since not only do I think that it's the most interesting of those shows to discuss, but also that it's the sort of show that I think works very well for a roundtable discussion since there's so much going on in that show that it can really facilitate the conversation.

Two years ago when the Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast started up a sister podcast, GME! Anime Fun Time, they invited me on as a guest for an early episode. I requested we discuss The Tatami Galaxy, as it's a show I've loved since it aired that my AWO cohosts refuse to ever watch:

http://gmepodcast.com/2014/06/04/gme-anime-fun-time-episode-03-the-tatami-galaxy/

It would be nearly two years before I was ever allowed back on that podcast again a few months ago to talk about One-Punch Man.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Anime World Order (RSS iTunes)

It's a new page, so I suppose I can remind everyone my podcast exists too! In our most recent episode, I reviewed Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma. I prefer to watch things in their entirety before reviewing them, but as this series is ongoing, I have instead watched the entire first season of the anime and read every chapter of the manga to date all so I can do a review that spoils basically nothing:

http://www.animeworldorder.com/2016/05/anime-world-order-show-147-the-sharpest-blades-use-the-tears-of-orphans-for-cleaning.html

Next stop for us is AnimeNEXT this weekend out in Atlantic City, NJ where we are guests once again. Just our luck that many of our panels are scheduled opposite other things we'd want to see, such as Guest of Honor Rei Hiroe of Black Lagoon fame, but if you attend his Q&A, there's a strong chance that the pre-written questions being asked by whomever is the moderator are ones we supplied. Then again, our questions are possibly way too awesome to make it past any sort of Japanese media representative's filter, such that they'd sooner open it to the floor of people wanting to know "how can I move to Japan and write manga like you?" rather than ask what we put down, but how tremendous would it be if a few went through? THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

mikeycp posted:

What do you do at your panels? Last time I went to an anime con was before podcasts were a big thing so I don't really know how they would go/how they're received. The one time I ran a panel it was a ton of work even though it was a free form thing, so I can't imagine how hard having what I assume a mostly organized thing is.

Podcasting panels at anime conventions are generally not something I do, since nobody knows who audio-only podcasters are if they're not already famous celebrities from TV, film, sports, comics, Youtube, etc. I may be a "guest" but nobody at anime cons really knows who I am aside from a handful; I'm no anime dub voice actor or Japanese musical act or whatever. At the last convention I went to, they did ask me to do a live recording with some of the guests I knew; the only people who showed up either already knew me or were grabbing a seat for the next thing on the schedule. That conversation was done early in the morning with no organization beforehand, which is probably why the responses people give may only be tangentially related to what was asked.

What matters is less "who I am" so much as "what I do." Most convention panels that I consider worthwhile tend to be rehearsed/semi-rehearsed lectures with audio-visual aids rather than free-form stuff, in-character performances, or things heavy on audience Q&A. The panels I do are almost uniformly "I show video clips of things and talk over/between the clips" which requires a lot of watching, encoding, ordering, taking notes where necessary, and so on as I generally don't let clips run longer than 3-5 minutes and panels are typically about an hour or two long. The majority of people do PowerPoint or Keynote presentations with video clips since those include a Presenter mode for your notes; I don't since I prefer the ability to dynamically rearrange or adjust my presentations on the fly without that being shown on the screen. Example: one panel I've got this weekend is "Great Theatrical Anime Films." This requires me to compile a list ahead of time of films I consider great, then assess what parts of the films I want to show, whether I've got a decent mix of genres and styles, if I'm making a representative pick such that I can just mention offhand "these other films, too," availability of the title (is it streaming? Disc only? Fansub only?), and such. For stuff I do, there's always far more material than time and no matter what I do, I'll catch flak for omitting something major (even if I open with "I'm not showing any Miyazaki or Ghibli, since you guys already know about that and there's an entire dedicated panel to it"). This vastly beats the alternative of not having enough material to fill the hour.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 9, 2016

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Bad Seafood posted:

Regardless, it's supposed to be a general hub for podcast sharing and discussion, just nobody else who's linked a podcast has really bothered to do anything else (except I guess Daryl Surat in passing).

One of my cohosts moved away and only recently got their Internet set up at their new place, and between that, convention appearances, magazine articles, and a few pieces I wrote up for Anime News Network I haven't had time for podcasting. But I was a guest on GME! Anime Fun Time, the sister podcast to the Greatest Movie EVER! movie review podcast, to talk about Giant Robo The Animation: The Day the Earth Stood Still since the AWO episode on it is now literally from a decade ago:

https://gmepodcast.com/2016/07/03/gme-anime-fun-time-episode-20-giant-robo-the-animation/

The host of Anime Nostalgia follows me on Twitter! Which is the sign of all of the coolest anime podcasters, really.

• Locked thread