Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

guidoanselmi posted:

are there any furries into monkeys or other primates or is that too close to home?

There are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm not sure that's how being a furry works.

Is it? :ohdear:

I hear you can become furry from public toilet seats.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

VendaGoat posted:

as soon as some willing anthropologist embeds themselves in a furry meet? :shrug:

Are you volunteering?

Surprisingly, there are several peer reviewed anthropology papers about furries.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

VendaGoat posted:

Oh please post a link.

It's Good for my local economy :shrug:

http://hsw.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/2/e42.full First one that popped up.

quote:

Furries, self-identified fans of anthropomorphism, report feeling significant social stigma. As a result, furries rarely reveal their furry identity to mental health professionals, for fear of judgment or disapproval. Improving health practitioners' familiarity with the furry identity may improve the quality of care for furries seeking treatment for unrelated conditions. Six focus groups were conducted over three days at a furry convention in the Midwest United States to study the furry identity (59 self-identified furries ages 18 to 41). The authors define and describe the demographics of important distinctions within the furry community and discuss the furry identity and liken it to sexual orientation, noting that the stigma furries face—worsened by media that exaggerate fringe and rare behaviors—has made it challenging for furries to live authentically for fear of ostracism, violence, and discrimination. These factors have resulted in furries' reluctance to disclose their identities. Highlighting communication challenges, the authors discuss strategies for health professionals to engage with furries in a clinical setting and to uphold unconditional positive regard.

I am supposed to be writing a paper, though, so I didn't bother looking at much.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I like this thread. :)

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Troposphere posted:

I like your av

I miss my old one. Someone bought me smoobles, then someone got me this one.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

It's a fine panda, I mean. It's just not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Troposphere posted:

embrace your fursona Tiberius Thyben

Smoobles in my fursona.

This is my original smoobles:

• Locked thread