Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
OJ is already in prison for probably the rest of his life so who cares?

Also the cop should have waited until the 25th anniversary of the murders and sold it on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
it's weird but I guess the real killer buried it on OJ's property to frame him

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Knife was found after the trial btw so even if the cop ran that knife up a flagpole like he should have done OJ would have been immune from further prosecution.

new evidence negates the protection of double jeopardy btw

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Quote from Nicole Brown to OJ Simpson: "What are you gonna do, nearly decapitate me?"

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
This new evidence has me rethinking this whole "not-guilty" thing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atoramos posted:

new evidence negates the protection of double jeopardy btw

No it doesn't lol

The only exception is that if there is new evidence AND you're being tried by a different body (federal instead of state). New evidence can lead to a request of a new trial in the case of a guilty verdict but once you're innocent that's that.

Edit: Also you can obviously be retried if a judgement wasn't entered in the first trial (guilty/innocent).

raton fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 4, 2016

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Sheep-Goats posted:

No it doesn't lol

The only exception is that if there is new evidence AND you're being tried by a different body (federal instead of state). New evidence can lead to a request of a new trial in the case of a guilty verdict but once you're innocent that's that.

Edit: Also you can obviously be retried if a judgement wasn't entered in the first trial (guilty/innocent).

So if I commit murder, and go to trial, but am found innocent due to a lack of evidence.... The next day I can call up the cops and say I threw the body in the river you stupid mother fuckers... peace out.?

I watch Forensic Files alot... and they are always finding new evidence/DNA a decade later, and then locking people up for life, I guess most cases they were never tried in the first place, but I'm pretty sure I have seen that happen.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You can never get a retrial of anything. That's why if you get sentenced to life in prison and someone else admits to doing the crime, too bad!!!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

#whiteassbitchesmatter

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

So if I commit murder, and go to trial, but am found innocent due to a lack of evidence.... The next day I can call up the cops and say I threw the body in the river you stupid mother fuckers... peace out.?

I watch Forensic Files alot... and they are always finding new evidence/DNA a decade later, and then locking people up for life, I guess most cases they were never tried in the first place, but I'm pretty sure I have seen that happen.

Quoting this post in case its not ironically trying to be bad

The Ranger
Apr 7, 2004

One of these days, I'm going to snap and kill that fucking bear.

gigawhite posted:

You can never get a retrial of anything. That's why if you get sentenced to life in prison and someone else admits to doing the crime, too bad!!!

Is my sarcasm detector just broken?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
ALERT: Confirmed as OJ's knife as it has 'OJ 2, Nicole 0' scratched on it.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
someday, the powers that be will release his prank TV show on Netflix. then, and only then, will the juice finally be loose, free to flow across our palates and sustain us through these dark times

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Let me tell you about Mel Ignatow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Ignatow

quote:

... murdered his former girlfriend, Brenda Sue Schaefer, in 1988. The case was controversial because Ignatow was acquitted of the charge, but photographs proving his guilt were uncovered after the trial. Under the legal principle of double jeopardy, however, Ignatow could not be tried a second time for the murder. He was, instead, convicted and jailed for perjury in his grand jury testimony for the case on several occasions.

quote:

Six months after Ignatow's acquittal, a carpetlayer working in Ignatow's old house, which had been sold to fund his defense, pulled up a length of carpet in a hallway. Under it he found a floor vent containing a plastic bag, taped to hold it inside the vent. Inside the bag was the jewelry Schaefer had taken with her on the night of her disappearance, and three rolls of undeveloped film. When developed, the film showed Ignatow torturing and raping Schaefer, just as Shore had described. Ignatow's face was not in the pictures, but body hair patterns and moles matched him perfectly.

Ignatow was brought to trial for perjury based on his grand jury testimony. Knowing that he could not be retried for the murder because of double jeopardy, Ignatow confessed in court at his perjury trial. He turned to Schaefer's brothers in court and said that he had killed her, but claimed that she had died peacefully.

Ignatow served five years of an eight-year sentence for perjury. The state later prosecuted him on perjury charges for testimony he gave in a case against Schaefer's employer for threatening to kill Ignatow if he didn't reveal where Schaefer was. He was sentenced to nine years for that perjury charge. Ignatow was released from prison for the second time in December 2006. He returned to Louisville, living in a home four miles from the house where he murdered Schaefer.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

Let me tell you about Mel Ignatow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Ignatow

American Dream (tm)

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Jesus Christ dude they even made a Hollywood movie featuring Ashley Judd about this. I think it was called... A Time to Kill.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you are American this is loving shameful as poo poo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
OJ will be judged by god. Unfortunately god loves Naked Gun.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

gigawhite posted:

New evidence can open a trial if the verdict is guilty. The term is double jeopardy, not "no reversies." Once the verdict is innocent you can't be retired under the same jurisdiction for the same crime.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 5, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Yes. They will jail you for perjury though.

E: Oh someone already posted that one famous case

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Good article on the double jeopardy thingy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ormer-property/

He didn't testify so no perjury either. State trial?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yes. They will jail you for perjury though.

E: Oh someone already posted that one famous case

That's only if you take the stand though.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Now the family can finally have closure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006

Loqieu posted:

Now the family can finally have closure.

What? OJ is already in the hall of fame with over 11000 career rushing yards

• Locked thread