Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Tunicate posted:

Just go down to your local university, stick your raw meat down into the experimental reactor they have, and kill off any parasites with all the searing gamma rays science can provide you. Walla!

Eff that, I live near enough to this bad boy. Stick your raw meat in a particle accelerator and there won't be anything left to get you sick! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Couple weeks ago I had a bbq chicken pizza with pineapple, jalapenos, and red onions on it. It had a whiskey bbq sauce for the base and it was amazing. I don't normally go for pineapple on pizza but it was a new place and I wanted to try something new, and I'm glad I did. I'd probably eat there a lot more often if it wasn't a bit pricey.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Want an endless loop of them adding pats of butter to that sad excuse for a sauce

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid I never really got the stereotype about kids hating vegetables until I went to someone else's house for dinner. :smith:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
As someone who grew up during the 90s, I have to say that watermelon, green apple, and blue raspberry are all top-tier candy flavors, but not when it comes to Skittles. Those should stick to the original flavors. Maybe mixed berry if we're getting really wild.

I actually kinda like these.. :shobon:

My mom used to get violet-flavored gum all the time when I was a kid, so I guess it just seemed normal to me. That and black licorice. :yum:

She also drank jasmine tea almost exclusively, so I grew up trying (and liking!) a lot of very floral things. Rose, lavender, elderflower, violet.. One time a friend of mine bought me a bag of dried jasmine from a Chinese market in case my tea didn't have enough "floral poo poo" as a joke, and I legit thanked her because I was almost out of that same brand of jasmine. I have rose flavored candy in my candy jar and everyone but me thinks they taste like grandmas. I have elderflower liqueur and creole bitters in my liquor cabinet. gently caress, I even crochet. It's me, I'm the weird grandma friend.

I guess I did luck out and never had the weird grandma candy experience. One grandma lived pretty far away so we didn't see her often, but she was more of the "crochets everything and plays bingo religiously" type, and other grandma was from Mexico so it was like having your own personal tamale lady whenever we'd visit. :kimchi:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
The first time I tried Thai food, my brother ordered some spicy fried rice, not realizing just how hot it might be. Thankfully the waitress was super chill and took it back, and had the chef re-fry it with some plan rice to kinda tone it down. She also told us we should be mixing it with sauce from other dishes instead of trying to eat it by itself. Thankfully my sister was being totally unadventurous that day because it turns out that spicy basil fried rice is pretty good with sweet and sour sauce. :kimchi:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Is that a plate of tiny onions on the right? Shallots maybe?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Hello, poor person who makes even poorer food choices checking in to let you know those are not pizza rolls or shallots. Both the item on left and right come from the Dollar Tree frozen food section.

To the left, a Golden Krust Jamaican patty. To the right, a bounty of Super Pretzel soft pretzel bites.

Both are surprisingly not terrible, especially for frozen food you pay $1 for.

I was half-kidding about the onions/shallots but I would probably eat that entire bag of pretzel bites because I too am a goon that makes terrible food choices.

angerbeet posted:

This thread has damaged us

Severely.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Wanna eat dat cornburger. Maybe I'll try making one over the weekend? I have ground beef and chopped corn/vegetables in my freezer and a tendency towards making bad decisions..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I used to work at a restaurant, and one night I was cleaning a table where I found dozens upon dozens of tiny Nicolas Cage pictures that had been clipped from a magazine and sprinkled around like confetti. So I did the logical thing and saved most of them and taped them to the pages of our reservation book for someone else to find. :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

Same with Hong Kong. They tell you all about the amazing food.

They dont tell you about the macaroni ham soup.

There's a joint nearby called Hong Kong Bistro that I love because it's open late and the food is drat good. They have an entire page of the menu dedicated to macaroni ham soup and other abominations. Allegedly you can even get fries there with certain items but I've never seen anyone order them.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Helopticor is one of those words that's permanently misspelled in my mind after many years of internet abuse. :sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

bloom posted:

Stop this vile pretense and just have some gin with/for lunch

I have been known to, on occasion, claim that gin and tonics totally count as dinner after a very stressful day.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sara has the electric kettle I've been wanting for ages, but I already have a kettle and it works fine so I can't just buy another one. :|

That waffle thing probably tastes great, but yeah it looks really weird and awkward to eat. Like, if someone offered me a bite I'd take it, but I probably wouldn't order one for myself just based on pictures alone.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Saw this picture on a box of piping bags, and I can't help but think that there must be a more appealing way to demonstrate the product than whipped cream and bell peppers.

Like, best case scenario it's actually sour cream or some kind of cream cheese filling but in those quantities that's still gross.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I used to work at a bar, and I would make something I liked to call "Jagershakes" for friends. Partly because of the name, and partly because it's fun to see someone's eyes go saucer-wide when you dump Jagermeister and heavy cream in the mixing tin. Top it off with Not Your Father's root beer and it tastes just like a root beer float.

Trick is, you gotta give the Jager and cream a really good dry shake to build up air in the mix before you add ice and shake again. Makes it really creamy and smooth, like melted ice cream, and not just "we dumped creamer in Jager oh god what have we done".

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Wasabi the J posted:

That sounds like an incredibly high risk to reward ratio there.

Sounds like. It's actually really ridiculously easy to make (assuming you know how to work a cocktail shaker..) and it's never not entertaining to watch people react as you build the drink.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've never had sauerkraut, but the memory of the smell when my friend's mom microwaved a giant fuckoff bowl of it for a snack will forever haunt me.

I like all sorts of other pickled and vinegary foods, so maybe someday, but not now.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah, it kinda depends on the type of restaurant. I worked at one spot that made the cheese sauce from scratch, but they'd make a huge amount and keep it warm during service hours so it was always ready to go. The pasta was par-cooked, so when someone ordered it, it would only take a couple minutes to finish cooking and slap some sauce on it.

Another place I worked had a giant steam oven, so you could load a hotel pan with food or retort pouches to cook/heat it. Pretty much all of their soups were made that way. :shrug:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Dienes posted:

Once I was making a Thai-inspired chicken soup, and was low on fish sauce. We had a tiny tin of cheap cavier from World Market, so I shrugged and tossed it in, thinking it would rear end some fishy/salty taste and it was better to use it than throw it out.

It turned the soup teal.

Our local hockey team's color is teal. There is a sushi counter in the arena. And yes, somebody decided that that means they need to serve sushi with bright teal rice. Like, on purpose.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

Eh, there's a dessert where I come from which is sweet blue rice, so it doesnt bother me really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3giCEOBxv4
Its quite pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0JNgrkL7Ag
Though some presentations leave a lot to be desired.

Actually, blue sticky rice doesn't bother me at all because that poo poo is delicious. Artificially colored neon blue sushi, though.. something about that triggers my :barf: instinct..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid, my family called tapioca "fish eyes and glue". I think the phrase came from a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip.. never stopped me from eating the stuff, though. Hell, I learned how to make it from scratch so I could eat tapioca pudding whenever I felt like it, and my mom kept uncooked tapioca pearls in the cupboard.

In retrospect I realize this must be weird, but it was just a thing I was really into for a bit. :shrug:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I don't remember if I've posted it here or not, but I used to work in a grocery store and found this in someone's locker once:

Those jars sat there for over a week before they finally disappeared. :barf:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Last time I made mayonnaise I think I added too much lemon juice, but that might be because the egg whites were going into whiskey sours..

I like the idea of using lemony mayo for certain types of seafood, though. Might have to experiment with that if I ever get my kitchenette unfucked.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

I like to try to find recipes to do in parallel that require only the yolks so I can use the whites for pisco sours. Does mayo work with just the yolk? Or should I take your experience as a no?

Also this was already my favorite thread but boy is it going places now

Yeah, I was in a similar boat. Was really into whiskey sours for a bit, but I always felt bad just tossing the egg yolks. I definitely ended up with a decent mayo, but the lemony taste was a bit much for most things, in my opinion anyway. Might have been good for tuna/chicken salad or something like that, though. If you want to give it a go, I'm pretty sure I used this Alton Brown recipe, but it was a few years ago and I was drinking so idk. It's also entirely possible that I just bodged the recipe due to aforementioned alcohol..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I work in food service for a large event venue. Earlier tonight we had someone asking for a half-dozen substitutions in her meal because she was, quote, "allergic to mayonnaise" and I thought of you guys. Can I nominate her for a mod challenge? Or do I have to make mayo in her stead because I don't know her forums ID?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Tried to make a mayo. Realized I only had olive oil after getting most of my mise placed. Decided to forge ahead anyway. Do not recommend.

Grocery store opens in 10 mins. Brb. :geno:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sorry for interrupting cheesechat, but I have a late entry for the :mayo: challenge:

I live in a very tiny apartment, and I have a very tiny kitchen, so I decided to make a very tiny mayo with a very tiny whisk. In the interest of science, I also bought regular eggs (albeit bougie as gently caress), some Kewpie mayo, a jar of very sickly-looking white asparagus, and some canned quail eggs. I also went to like three different stores to find everything because the first one was sold out of fresh quail eggs, and then I forgot to check if I actually had enough oil and vinegar for this. :doh: Having a very tiny kitchen means I don't cook very often so I tend to forget what I actually have in the cupboards. I also bought a regular loving whisk because apparently I didn't have one of those? Must be in storage somewhere..

First of all, cracking quail eggs and separating the yolks is an utter pain in the rear end and I don't recommend it. The whites cling to the yolks really fiercely and everything just gets messy.

I didn't really measure anything since I wasn't going to calculate how many fractions of a teaspoon of lemon juice or whatever else to use, so I just added everything a few drops at a time until it looked about right. The resulting mayo was pretty thin, but it held its emulsion so I consider it a success.

I even bought tiny mayo jars from Nijiya because I'm just extra like that.

The resulting mayo was good, but nothing to write home about. Maybe with better seasoning or proper ingredient ratios it would have been better, but all in all not really worth the :effort:

That said, I now have three very tiny jars of mayo to use up and a whole ton of eggs in the fridge, so what better way to kill two unborn birds with one stone than deviled eggs?

Boiled eggs. Just like regular chicken eggs, half will crack in the pot and spill their guts everywhere. I made these in a tea kettle because it's quicker and easier than using a hotplate, but I don't think I'll ever get all of the gunk out.. :11tea:

The canned eggs, on the other hand, are already cooked and shelled. They had a slightly grayish hue and tasted a bit waterlogged, but they are convenient and much cheaper. I think I paid $2.39 for this can at a Vietnamese market and it contained about 20 eggs, versus the $2.99 I paid for 10 fresh eggs at Nijiya (though it would have been $1.99 at the Vietnamese market if they weren't out of stock..). They also had eggs canned in brine which might taste better but I went with the plain ones, because science. Perhaps future trips to the market are in order, when they reopen after the Lunar New Year break.

Making deviled eggs. Again, not measuring anything. Just kind of throwing stuff into a bowl until it looks/tastes about right.

Tiny chick mayo bottle seems to have a concern.

Finished product:

Scooping the yolks out of the canned eggs was a bit of a challenge because they were creamier and really stuck to the whites. Not sure if this is a result of the cooking or canning process or something else. I used the Kewpie mayo for this batch because I was almost out of quail mayo already. Go figure, making a tiny amount of something means using it up faster!

Canned eggs on the left, fresh on the right:

Verdict: they're just deviled eggs, but small. No real discernible difference in taste between both batches, except maybe the amount of seasoning in the yolk mix, which is where all of the flavor is anyway.

I still had a baker's dozen of the canned quail eggs left that I wasn't sure what to do with, so I tried making tea eggs. Will report on those later, along with the rest of the ingredients I bought.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I work in food service and for a while it felt weird for me to touch food without gloves.. :sigh:

Typically, though, when using a knitted heat-resistant or cut-resistant glove you put a vinyl/plastic glove over it so it doesn't get gross..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Okay, that's just plain wrong. What kind of psychopath sets up a three-piece with "wash" on the right and "sanitize" on the left? :colbert:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I know you're joking, but as someone who's worked in multiple restaurants, that poo poo fucks me up when I get used to going in one direction, then go to a kitchen where it's set up the other direction. It's like I suddenly moved to the UK and had to drive on the left side of the road, takes a while to re-wire my brain for it.

Also, a place I worked at handled their wings like that, and that's one of many reasons I just used the past tense of "worked" instead of "work". The finished plates weren't AFP, but the BOH procedures sure were.

So far every place I've worked has had their sinks go left to right. Except the one place where we did dishes in the prep sink because we weren't allowed to use the dishpit.. didn't stick around there too long, which is a shame because the food wasn't bad and I actually got a shift meal, unlike most places. It was just a total shitshow most of the time otherwise.

shrimpwhiskers posted:

That's how it was set up when I worked at Chicken Restaurant, because our drying rack was to the left. (weird rear end narrow dishpit.)

I keep reading that as "dipshit" and I mean you're not wrong.. :saddowns:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid there was a grocery store that sold root beer milk in oldy timey glass bottles that we sometimes got as a treat. :3:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I wanna try egg yolk coffee but I don't have an espresso machine. Will it be gross as heck if I use cheap drip coffee? gently caress, I may have to try this tomorrow. I don't have cognac or brandy and I only have poo poo-tier coffee, but I do have Liqor 43 and Grand Marnier.. I bet at least one of those would be pretty good in this. Science! :science:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

gschmidl posted:

Just keep adding liquor until it tastes good.

Sage advice.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

seance snacks posted:

Or if we wanna look at it like that, why bother slicing, I could prolly fit that whole tuna steak in my mouth if I really tried

My one regret about quitting that sushi joint is that I never tried this. :sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

I was drinking with my neighbor Ness a while back and we kind of had the munchies so we heated up some dino chicken nuggets (don't judge). Her girlfriend then proceeded to pick all the breading off a bunch of them while explaining that Ness didn't like the bread part. Ness just kind of sat there awkwardly, and to this day I have no idea if she actually liked peeling her chicken nuggets or if it was just another one of her (now ex) girlfriend's weird controlling habits. :smith:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Instant mash potatoes are one of my secret shame comfort foods. When I was a kid I would sometimes eat a giant bowl of them after school with an obscene amount of butter and salt, and nothing else. As an adult I don't buy them too often, but when I do I tend to hide the box in the back of the cupboard so I don't go completely hog wild on it.

Where did you get this picture of my lunch.

Just kidding. It was actually a slice of bread with a little splorch of mayo and a bunch of pepperoni. Yes I used the pepperoni to spread the mayo so I wouldn't get a knife dirty.

E: ..I actually kinda like my mom's ambrosia. She used to make it for holiday dinners and stuff like that. :shobon:

I think this one most closely resembles the kind she made. Just pineapple, canned mandarin oranges, coconut, mini marshmallows, and sour cream iirc.

Fartington Butts posted:

*rolls up to the after-church lunch*

I BROUGHT AMBROSIAAAAAA!!!

Bees on Wheat has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Jun 20, 2020

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I just want y'all to know this has been one of my favorite threads, throughout all of its multiple iterations. I think I also want to thank Rand for posting, but I'm not entirely sure. :randno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Randaconda posted:

The forums live! Without Lowtax! I get to keep posting lovely food, feat. cilantro and other poo poo decent people do not eat

Yeah, I'm being cautiously optimistic about that, in case things fall through. Cilantro is cool and good though.

fizzymercy posted:

No. It is a garbage herb for garbage people and you only like it because you are not as genetically advanced as those of us who know it's true nature.

I will fully admit to being a garbage person, but that's due to being a goon and has nothing to do with cilantro. :colbert: