Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

To bring back a topic from the last thread, can someone give me a quick explanation of how people don't get sick eating steak tartar? I always thought raw beef/egg would be a guaranteed trip to salmonella/e.coli town, or did my head just get filled with old wives tales when I was younger?

Certain undercooked or raw foods make a good breeding ground for bacteria but they don't inherently contain anything dangerous and if handled, stored and prepared correctly they won't make you sick. You can get chicken sashimi in Japan.

*edit* see above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Poutine has cheese curds, chips cheese n gravy is grated mozzarella because you get it from a greasy kebab/pizza place.
E: also one is Canadian and one is British

Pretty common in the part of Australia that I'm from too. You're more likely to find it in a chip cart outside a nightclub at 3am though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Fair enough, I thought there was something you found singularly revolting about it besides it just being a weird offering from a crappy fast food place. I also remember seeing that trend get posted about in this/the last iteration of this topic and thought it was the weirdest drat thing that you Aussies all of a sudden discovered something that had been eaten where I live for, uh, idk like 100+ years? Bizarre thing to become a food fad all of a sudden.

Australia is obsessed with American food in general at the moment.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Why keep the bun warm? that just means you have to rush to eat it because the ice cream will melt much faster.

People find the contrast of hot and cold things pleasant to eat

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Watermelon, applesauce, potato salad, cupcake.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

Alton Brown is entertaining and informative :colbert:

I agree, I don't really watch him for the recipes though, I like the history and science lessons

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Learning to cook for yourself is hard and we don't make Home Ec a mandatory class in school.

But you can learn from watching TV, is not like trying to learn another language or something. There are entire channels with nothing but cooking shows.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is so loving depressing and infuriating.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My wife had some leftover condensed milk so she decided to make caramel.
It was taking ages on the stove so she popped it in the microwave. where it overcooked really quickly and went a bit thick and sticky like toffee
She took it out of the bowl and put it in some baking paper to roll it up for slicing into bite sized pieces.

This is what it looked like after rolling up

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fat-washed cocktails are all the rage now apparently.

I've heard of ones washing bourbon with butter which kind of makes sense but grilled cheese is a bit full on

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks pretty good to me

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah that's causing me physical discomfort to look at

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

7-Eleven sells better sandwiches than Subway.

I have no idea what it is or what it's supposed to be, but the smell of Subway is weird and off-putting.

Yeah, it smells like engineered "bread odour" or something.
It doesn't smell like food to me

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Awww, what a pleasant-looking pasta dish! IT'S BABY EELS! I know eels aren't really AFP because most people think they're delicious, but these guys are so small! :3:

I ate the baby eels in Spain thinking they were noodles. They were OK but I would have enjoyed them more if I was expecting them

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It looks like potted shrimp. You put shrimp in melted butter to preserve it when it sets

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr-Spain posted:

I've only ever had it called Split Pea soup, the ham is usually expected to be in it. We make ours after Christmas and Easter (ham time).

I make it as soon as the weather cools enough to give me an excuse. With smoked hocks

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'll make a healthy veg friendly gluten free crust!

(crust is made entirely of nuts and cheese)

But fat isn't as bad as they used to think!

*Interprets this as license to consume massive amounts of fat*

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like avo on toast with watercress, dill, eggs. Presentation is a bit dumb but looks ok to me

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You could make a jelly of the broth and put little pieces of it through the other ingredients

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poop dood posted:

For those who aren't used to the craft-cocktail scene, seeing this sort of thing at a bar you're at for the first time is how you discern the true believers from a bar run by sharks who smell money in the water.

It's Melbourne. To use your metaphor, the water is in a barrel and the sharks have shotguns.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The ingredients are listed in order of how much of the product consists of them, and water is the first.

Isn't that just because there are many different vegetables in there so no single vegetable is present in any amount greater than the water they're packed in? Like there's way more total weight of vegetables than water?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

The blue things are edible flowers. Why they are there is another question entirely.

Yeah edible flowers are a bit of a fad at the moment, they can look ok on some dishes in an instagram-y kind of way but they don't look very good on that dish.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

Orange in salads is my Mums weird 70s trend that she sticks with. It's not too bad.

That and knowing how to cook literally everything in a microwave.

Finely sliced fennel and orange go really well together in a salad.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I just don't see how you'd cook it properly. Cauliflower + meatloaf sounds amazing but cooked together in a single vessel like that... I dunno man.

The cauli would steam inside the meatloaf. It probably wouldn't take on that much taste from the meat but it would cook ok I reckon.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah that looks loving hideous

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Okay dude you know congealed fat and gelatin are not the same thing right?

I think they are referring to that brisket where the cooled brisket fat has formed a congealed layer between the meat and the gelatin

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Darkpenguin posted:

good lord, didn't notice that. i know, no pizza rules, but can we at least get some pizza guidelines or best practices?

Pizza deregulation has been a failure, a pizza commission should be established

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

I don't understand how cocoa can help chili. How does it improve the flavor?

It's just another layer of flavour that complements acidic, sweet, spicy flavours well. There's chocolate in some Mexican moles.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The millennial/avocado/home ownership thing originated from a hack Australian boomer economist in a newspaper column. It doesn't make sense in America because houses are still somewhat affordable.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ketchup (tomato sauce) pretty much only goes on meat pies and sausage rolls imo

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Omurice

:colbert:

Looks good, don't get me wrong, but I think ketchup (maybe Australian tomato sauce is a bit different?) is too strong a flavour to compliment the subtle flavour of eggs.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Add oil and eggs and also oil and eggs mixed together.

E: also american cake is an abomination, loving oil in a cake aaaaaaa

Some traditional Greek (and I'm sure other European) cakes and biscuits have olive oil in them and they're nice in an austere way

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

Oh oil in Greek food is cheating, they put olive oil on/in everything.

And I love them for it.
My point is that you can put oil in a cake as the fat instead of butter and not have it be disgusting, depending on the type of cake.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They appear to be in the process of being cooked above hot ashes or something

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Like mince. Because that's what it is.

I get it, but it's kinda more like a paste really, theres more fat and the protein is often more smushed together

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fruit in savoury dishes is awesome if done appropriately.
Canned pineapple in baked beans... :thunk:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

This is a tacit endorsement of pineapple on pizza if ever I saw one.

I'm happy to make an explicit endorsement of pineapple on pizza.
I mean, I don't love it but I'm cool with eating it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hate eating when I'm drunk cos it dulls my sense of taste really bad
Given some of the things I've eaten when drunk this can be a good thing, but it pisses me off if it's something I've put time and effort into making

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's avgolemono

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Prune chat: I made a butternut squash and lentil stew with caramelised onions and prunes the other day, prunes can be good in a savoury dish

I should have taken a photo of it really cos it was definitely not much to look at