Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

In Europe, they don't like eating grapes, so the purple color is blackcurrant. We don't have much blackcurrant in America because they were banned for a long while for being a disease vector for a specific disease that killed pine trees at a time when lumber was much more of an important industry.

Rasberry flavor is great and once the idea of making it blue caught on, it's just a thing now. I think I remember when I was a kid, a bunch of companies figured out a new apple flavor where they add in some more citric acid and all the candy companies put out green apple variants at once. There's a weird power to the conceptual idea of a flavor all on its own.

Similarly, the idea of banana flavor persists even after the true banana has gone extinct.

Holy poo poo, thank you! I've always been mystified why blackcurrant is a common flavor in English candies and such, and basically non-existent in the US. According to Wikipedia blackcurrant is kind of making a comeback here in the states since the Federal ban ended in the 60s, so hopefully will become more common again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

McSpergin posted:

Bananas and caramel sauce on a pizza base

Dollop on freshly whipped cream after cooking the pizza until the bananas have caramelised

Thank me later. Cut it into small pieces because it's basically 100% sugars lmao

This sounds like one of the Swedish abominations from the pizza hellthread.

Mod Pizza used to have roasted cauliflower as a topping and it was great - unfortunately I think it was only a one-month thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WITCHCRAFT posted:

BIG IMPORTANT THREAD FEUD TALKING POINT: CHIPS AND DIP

When you are eating potato chips with a dip meant for potato chips (usually sour cream based), what kind of chips do you use? I spent my whole life using regular or wavy/crinkle potato chips if you were going to dip them. The dip can be whatever - french onion, ranch, buffalo, bacon horseradish. But you use plain chips for that. You don't use flavor dusted chips for this.

At age 30, I found a cabal of coworkers that dip BBQ chips into chip dip and I am absolutely disgusted. This is wrong. Dip requires plain chips.

I also saw someone a few months ago buying nacho cheese Doritos and Tostitos queso dip. That's super hosed up. You dip plain tortilla chips into salsa and queso. You absolutely do not drip Doritos into anything.

Please tell me that I am not alone.

I agree with you. I used to like BBQ chips when I was a kid, but not so much as an adult. Flavored chips really have no business being around dips.

The best chip unfortunately no longer exists - Pop Chips used to make a black pepper chip that was awesome and was actually spicy, but of course I liked it so it got discontinued.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

i eat my Glorp straight from the Glorp-sac.

Maybe it's just because it's 2020, but their store locator page looks like an epidemiological map to me:

At least the outbreak is pretty well contained at this point.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I believe the technical culinary term for this would be "abomination."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This looks like an edible Voight-Kampff test.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm fine with pineapple on a "Hawaiian pizza," meaning Canadian bacon and pineapple, but that's it. I've seen people have it put on pepperoni and black olive pizzas and that is just a crime against God.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That looks like a dare. Or a prank.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've noticed these in the grocery store but my morbid curiousity hasn't quite tipped over to the point of buying them yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I've seen a few of those where one or more of the 50 did something the normal way and then the professional did something weird. I've also seen several where some of the people do things so astoundingly wrong that I've got to assume they're doing it on purpose.

"Mmm, yes, a margarita. I'll whip one right up!"

*grabs the gin*

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tiggum posted:

More like "Whipped cream? Sure, I'll just add some baking soda..." And then the professional adds sugar - not as an optional extra thing but like he can't even conceive of just whipping cream like a normal person.

Or "Orange juice? Sure, let me just put these whole oranges, skin and all, into a blender..."

That's stunning but I've seen enough people utterly clueless about basic poo poo that I am not entirely surprised.

I was working on some project with some 20-something college students who were baffled about how to use a shovel. I thought they were loving with me but watching them learn how to use it after I demonstrated the process made it pretty clear they had just never used a shovel before.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How long American lasts tends to vary by region and fat content. Higher fat content = it will last longer after opening.

Here in the Pacific Northwest I'm used to expiration dates being at least a week out from today's date - in the South I found I was lucky if it was more than a day in the future.

I drink a lot of milk out of habit - it's always been my preferred beverage with most meals (pizza and burgers should have a cola with them). I drink 1% as it seems to strike the best balance between fat content and actually seeming like milk, but can do 2% or whole milk on occasion.

What sucks is eating out and only finding out when ordering my meal that they don't serve milk. Soy milk or similar faux milk can serve okay in a pinch, but they are usually too sweet to really work.

Ultrapasteurized sucks compared to the normal pasteurized stuff I drink - it has a weird texture and tastes kind of "flat," I guess?

I actually have preferences about what brand of milk I buy, maybe not quite to wine snob level but I absolutely could rank different milks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WELCOME TO THE PATHOLOGY BUFFET

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

turkish delight, the brutal lie of candies

I've liked these since I was a kid.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Fine I white balanced it for you

That needs some kind of creepy background soundtrack.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WTF is this? As best I can guess it is a mixture of refried beans with tomatoes, peppers, corn, clams, and despair.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Poopelyse posted:

it's clam tacos

Data Graham posted:

Can't you read

:negative:

I walked right into that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's really asking to get some kind of food poisoning or parasite at some point. I think I've read some stuff about how nutritionally, we get more out of cooked food than raw, but you can make up for that with just more food. I can't really get my brain around just dealing with the slimy texture of just biting straight into uncooked meat though.

Also unpasteurized food goes bad faster if you care at all about the logistics of your meals. But generally the point of weird diets is to be as inconvenient as possible.

I think most of it is the naturalistic fallacy given a weaponized cuilinary form.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mng posted:

Once a youtuber always a youtuber. Apparently.

You can take the man out of Youtube, but you can never take the Youtube out of the man.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dreadwroth2 posted:

According to a quick search, a collop is just a slice of meat.

The "your mom" jokes just write themselves...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kenning posted:

This isn't true. The studies in question prove that "non-expert" wine drinkers on average experience a modest negative correlation between price and reported enjoyment. All that that means is that the average low-cost wine is produced to appeal to the broadest possible segment of the market, the majority of whom have no particular taste for wine. Therefore, they'll tend to have higher sugar content and fewer flavors that can be interpreted as bitter. Among "expert" wine drinkers (which is a very low operational threshold), higher price is generally correlated with higher enjoyment. All that was proven was that people are alienated by flavors they're not familiar with, which is not a particularly compelling result, and not something that can justify the position that it is "provably impossible to distinguish" between more and less expensive wines.

This is a weird defense of wine snobbery.

There is significant evidence that "experts" are unreliable, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_wine_tasting

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A wine to accompany the thread:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hungry Man frozen dinner cooking instructions reference removing the brownie even on dinners which do not include a brownie. I feel this is false advertising and I should be paid.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have gotten a taste for microwaveable soft pretzels, but I started to like them better frozen, because it's a treat to cool down with on a hot day that won't melt, and I like the way that they're not hard, but your teeth sink into it really slowly.

:stonk:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know where else to share this, but I had a new food adventure tonight. Was at my folks' house for dinner (they're being good about pandemic precautions and so am I, and this area is doing okay, so it was a minimal risk) and Mom made shrimp-stuffed sole, except the market was out of sole so she got "red snapper." That's in quotes since what is sold as "red snapper" can be any number of fish, all of which generally have more bones than sole.

So the meal started with a warning about bones, and I was being alert, but on my second bite a bone stabbed into my tongue. Not like poked it, but full-on pierced my tongue. It took me a second to process this, and then I had to inelegantly reach into my mouth to pull the bone out of my tongue like a big rear end splinter or something. It bled a little afterward, but otherwise wasn't that bad. I've hurt worse from biting my own tongue.

In all the years I have eaten fish, and had to deal with bones, it never occurred to me I could just get straight-up stabbed by one.

The meal was good after that, but my tongue is still a little sore.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gschmidl posted:

I only just noticed the steak knife stuck through the middle.

Well, yeah, they can't serve it while it's still alive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Captain Jesus posted:

Some madman decided to open a burger place in the middle of a pandemic in my graveyard of business dreams neighborhood. His business hours are 10 am to 3 pm and this is his low card portobello burger:

I want to say he's doomed for sure, but he also reminds me of Dooby, so maybe he'll stick around for a while somehow.

This made me remember that there is no restaurant around here doing a "portobello burger" in the sense of a burger that uses a marinated and grilled portobello to replace the burger patty. There used to be a couple places that did it, and both were good. I'm not vegetarian but sometimes like to get vegetarian dishes, and it was one of my favorites.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Is this some sort of gay swinger's party?

It was an art project. I think the same person did another one for Christmas.

Also, is there a reason the dipshit crypto-fascist Lolbertarian grating cheese over his food is supposed to own the libs? The right has become such a cult it's practically self-parody at this point.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sweet pickles are a crime against god.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As a kid there were a few things that would be major gotchas for me when I'd be eating over at a friend's house. Like I thought I was being served normal food, then I'd taste it and realize it was some nightmare version of what I expected.

Sweet pickles were a good example of this.

Miracle Whip was a close second.

Margarine I learned to tolerate but that took some time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I remember feeling mildly trolled by Cool Whip when I thought it was whipped cream, but it wasn't as bad as the other things.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I also hate hard taco shells.

Awkward, messy, and they seem to be designed solely to make sure you stab the softer parts of mouth with the shards.

CaptainSarcastic has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Nov 29, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ZombieCrew posted:

I bet you dislike toast.

All tacos are great. All tacos got problems.
If you use a soft corn tortilla, fill it with anything remotely moist, and have to travel more than 2 minutes then it splits. Same problem. Well, same for the folks that use teeth to chew instead of the roofs of their mouths.

I'm just picturing you rolling up a tortilla, filling it with soda, and then getting mad when it doesn't work out how you imagined.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

full disclosure i have no idea what this is

Some kind of half-assed attempt at a Philly cheesesteak?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tiggum posted:

What is "allergy free peanut butter"? :confused:

A lawsuit waiting to happen.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teen witch posted:

Cool concept but the naming is straight up Apple Cabin Farms

I've only had porcupine meatballs that involved spaghetti run through the meatballs - never heard of it with rice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kraft singles (and Lucerne or Kroger equivalents) are good and being solidly against them is weird.

I mean the old-school cheap poo poo that was oil-based imitation cheese was bad, but actual dairy American singles are incredibly handy to have on hand.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My limited experience with government cheese was that it was basically loaves of Velveeta in more plain packaging. It was fine. Would've been early to mid 1980s on the East coast, so I'm not sure if there are regional differences.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

empty sea posted:

This is the exact texture problem I've had with tofu. I don't want to eat savory marshmallows, it really puts me off for some reason. Tofu doesn't taste bad, it just tastes like whatever you cook it with but the texture, ugh. It's too soft, even when you brown it. The only time it really works for me is in miso or hot and sour soup because you hardly notice it's there.

Side note, there's a vegan Indian restaurant near my work that makes the best hot and sour soup I've ever had in my life. Unlike any other Chinese style I've had, it's actually very hot and very sour and just full of diced veggies. I took a sip, then literally spent 20 minutes drinking it straight from the container while my mouth was on fire because I couldn't stop.

This is from a couple pages back but I feel compelled to point out that tofu can be prepared with a lot of different textures, and if properly browned should definitely not be too soft. With a lot of tofu you need to drain excess water from it, even extra firm stuff, but if you do then you can get a much firmer, chewier consistency. There are a few local restaurants where I'll opt for tofu in addition to or instead of meat because it has a better taste and texture. My ex-wife used to make this tofu stroganoff which was really good. Stir fried it can be good.

I say this as an inveterate meat-eater who happens to sometimes enjoy vegetarian stuff.

e: This looks like some bullshit, though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

"I am the Avatar of Bread. Wouldst thou like to partake of my Roastawich? To decline would be a grave insult..."

I was thinking more: