Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY NEW THREAD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RainbowCake posted:

US taco bell doesn't???????

Nope.

Does Canadian McDonald's still have pizza, or did that stop in the 90s?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Chinese MRE?

13Pandora13 posted:

I made a big batch of koshari (-pasta) for my work week lunches. It's a good candidate for the "tastes amazing, is good for you, looks like dog vomit" category:

I have never eaten koshari without puking. Ever. Even my mother's, even in Egypt, even when I made it myself once. Horrible stuff. It's not even that it tastes bad, it's just that it rockets out of my body through my nose and mouth at the speed of light without any reason or warning.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

subpar anachronism posted:

I have some of that peanut butter in my cabinet because I bought it on a lark once. It has been in there two years because it is not very good.

It's supposed to be a diet substitute or something, right? A lot of low carb recipe sites use it for things.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

diabeetz posted:

Oh hey it's that place that sells fancy horse dishes and bone marrow.

SIGN ME THE gently caress UP.

Japanese summer special Pepsi flavors (I admit, a few years old):

I actually liked the shiso one. The baobab flavor was just weird; kind of like watered-down bubblegum (reminiscent of champagne cola, but not enough to be yummy).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The cucumber Pepsi was before my Japanese tenure. I also love cucumber-flavored stuff (they have a cucumber-mint Doublemint Gum flavor here in China that kicks eleven kinds of rear end!) but no one I talked to liked the cucumber Pepsi. I didn't know anyone else who liked the shiso one. The yogurt one I also never got the chance to try, but I imagine it was like a lovely Calpis/Calpico.

Scathach posted:

Do you live within distance to a Cabelas? They have food courts where you can eat elk, deer, boar, buffalo, and all sorts of other critter meat while under the watchful gaze of taxidermy animals of the same persuasion. If you hapen to have a Bass Pro Shop instead, that's okay you need to try alligator anyway.

drat, I wish I'd known that when still lived in the States.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I was thinking the same thing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

I was trying to explain reubens to a friend of mine and then I noticed the list.

Now I was checking yummly for new recipes and I discovered...

Spinach Queso!

edit:
God bless.

This made me cry with laughter and I don't know why.

Also, guys, I really want the Peeps milk. I love Peeps. I like putting two of them in the microwave with toothpick swords and putting it on high until one of them pops the other. (this game is best played with someone else's microwave.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I live in China :(
I suppose it's not impossible- we do have Wal-Mart in my city- but I feel like this is just one of those things that I'll dream about and never try, Like the Cheetos Crunchwrap. And sex. jk I have sex like ALL DAY

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I think it's because instead of the lovely Rotel-Velveeta concoction with some chopped spinach in it, they had to microwave a freaking TGIF spinach dip and then add it. Like they went through more work and more money to make something less good.

Yeah, I think that's it. I just don't get the point. poo poo is not cooking.

Semisponge posted:

My stepmom tried to get me to do that peeps in the microwave thing with her and I was all I'm 30 years old is this supposed to be fun

I'M 31 AND YES IT IS SO GO SUCK A PEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She just wants to CONNECT. And marshmallow is the best medium for anything.

well, maybe not...

marshmallow log

2 cups flaked coconut

2 cups miniature colored marshmallows

2 cups crushed graham crackers

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 cup chopped walnuts

10 candied cherries, quartered

Sprinkle coconut evenly on a sheet of waxed paper. In a medium bowl, stir together marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs, condensed milk, walnuts and cherries. Shape into a log. Place on waxed paper and roll in coconut. Wrap with waxed paper and refrigerate until firm.

My favorite review:
"Didn't go as fast as I expected it to. Just wasn't to my family's liking.
it sucked AND it took too long wtf

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

poo poo, you got me thinking of something else from the other thread with that one.

"Hey ma, you know that thing we had on the stove?"

"The pressure cooker?"

"Yeah, it escaped. Into the mountains. I hope it finds a good home."
[/quote]

I was actually looking at buying a pressure cooker when this was posted originally and this picture convinced me not to.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

please don't post my picture without my permission

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Google Dimitri Tsykalov for some AFP fun

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/LCmJFeD.jpg:nws:

This is the coolest loving poo poo!

I bet whatever this is, it's cold. Almost all the way through. It's warm in one spot, just one, and in a kind of random spot, but you're so tired and you just want to eat.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It is a testament to how long I've been reading these threads that my eyes went to "greased casserole" and I was like oh ok could be legit.

cream bake

Serves 5
You will need:
80ml lemonade
40ml cream
130g of sugar
60g of pasta

Instructions:

rinse the sugar
saute the lemonade
toast the pasta
saute the lemonade
put the cream in the saucepan
grind the lemonade
spoon the sugar onto a warmed plate
grind the pasta
sprinkle the cream over the top
microwave the pasta
spoon the cream onto a warmed plate
fold in the cream
serve piping hot

lol rinse the sugar I'M NOT THE RACCOON IN THIS THREAD SIR

Also, if you don't saute the lemonade twice, Hitler wins.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lonely Virgil posted:

Let's play: Guess what this food is.

Some kind of cubed rice loaf?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I looked it up and it's Miracle Noodle brownies.

BUT loving WHY?!?!?!? I do a lot of low-carb baking (yes, I understand that's AFP) and there are literally sixty-four kajillion low-carb brownie recipes out there. I have never said "Wow, I really want my brownies to smell like garbage and be chewy as gently caress."

Also, the same company sells "miracle rice" which is literally just Miracle Noodles cut up. THAT'S NOT A DIFFERENT PRODUCT YOU WHORES.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

I hate the miracle noodles. They're kinda rubbery and just make me terribly sad that I'm not eating real noodles. If wanna low carb it and still have Italian flavors, I just make like a sausage and vegetable stir fry served with a modest amount of tomato sauce, and live with my decision to exist in a reality without pasta.

I actually like them, but I like shirataki in general. I'd rather have zoodles or squash noodles, though.

I GISed "looks bad todd" and got this!

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Mar 29, 2016

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mizuti posted:

How about beondegi? They're boiled silkworm pupae. Dunno about the taste, but the presentation... :barf:

The smell is like kill yourself bad. The actual taste is of dirt. Like, dirt-flavored Gushers. :barf:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Puntification posted:

Same it looks really nice and I like all the things involved but calling it bread makes me quite irrationally angry.

Same, for gently caress's sake!

I used to be a vegetarian. In fact, I was a vegetarian for most of my life. I would eat and enjoy the fake/soy meats, but I never tried to trick myself into thinking they were the real thing and concentrated on getting really, really good at cooking veggies instead. Might explain why I was a vegetarian for so long and so many of my friends gave it up after a few weeks.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm sorry, thread, but I think we all deserve to know:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4c2hat/fast_food_workerswhat_should_we_never_order_from/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

NotAnArtist posted:

enh, trading one starch and carb source for another isn't so weird. I'd eat that.

yeah, rice burgers are the poo poo.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Granted, nacho "cheez" is bad enough already, but something about the sickly greenish hue here makes it so much worse.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Aw man... :( Sous vide against e.coli.

I guess you can only go for so long before learning the hard way why most restaurants do food shittily: because if you don't, you make people sick.

I read The American Way of Eating by Tracy MacMillan (and I do heartily recommend it) about five years ago and was absolutely shocked when I got to the Applebee's chapter. I have never even imagined that a restaurant chain would cook/process all their food in a central location and then ship it out to be basically be reheated, garnished, and fed to the public. I'm an idiot.

Would.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

cash crab posted:

bringmyfishback, Peep soda!

FFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My best friend is meeting me in Tokyo next month; I may make him find a bottle of this and bring it to me.

I feel like Peeps Milk would be better, but then I would drink a gallon of milk every day if I didn't have to walk 40 minutes to the store that sells milk.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I've always enjoyed how Canada has apparently decided that Boston is where pizza comes from

Yeah. Also fries are not a New York thing. if you had a chain called New York Pizza, okay, although Boston Fries still doesn't make sense.

I was forced to go to a Boston Pizza only once because I was in some random town in the Miramichi in the dead of winter and it was either that or Timmy's for dinner.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

outerpeace posted:

You were in Newcastle. My husband's family is from there. Did you enjoy seeing the empty lots where there used to be industry?

I truly did not! That was a very unique place; thank you for supplying the name. I'm pretty amazed that you could identify it just from that!

Fun Newcastle story: my boyfriend got stopped walking down the road one night because the cop noticed he wasn't wearing clothes from Wal-Mart and therefore must be from out of town. He spent his year there collecting taxidermied lobsters. New Brunswick is an interesting place.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

This thread makes me nervous about Canadian fast food.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

This is budae jjigae before the stock and gochugaru/gochujang are added. It's a Korean dish that is extremely good and not at all disgusting.

THANK YOU I was about to get really mad. Love budae jigae, except when they add ramyeon (I do not like [cooked] packaged ramen noodles). xtra Spam and add some tomatoes, trust me.

Scathach posted:

Oh my god those awful canned potatoes. Saddest food yet. Somehow they're always sour.

I genuinely did not know canned potatoes were a thing until I was in my mid-twenties. Someone posted in the general discussion thread of GWS that they were a cook at a homeless shelter for teenagers (I think?) and they were having difficulty finding recipes the kids would eat that they could cook with their donated foodstuffs. I wish that guy had done an A/T.

My mother's rule regarding canned foods: unless they are tomatoes or you canned it yourself, NOT ALLOWED. In case anyone wondered what my crazy mother would say. it seems to be a running theme in my posts.

GOD HAS DIED

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Canned potatoes sound really icky to me. :ohdear:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Snoo posted:

There's also some random maple-blueberry-pancake ice cream, and probably something with bacon too. I love giant's store brand stuff because I'm a filthy poor and I'm sure some of it is okay. Probably would've been appropriate for the food trends thread. :)

Now listen up, children, Imma tell you some poo poo:

Store brand is frequently the expensive/name-brand poo poo, but repackaged.

Let me again cite The American Way of Eating. The author worked as a garlic picker during her research period and noticed that the same product from the same fields was being packaged as an exclusive Wal-Mart brand AND as an exclusive Whole Foods brand. If you live outside North America, you may not know, but there would be a significant price difference for either fresh or dehydrated garlic sold at either store. I cannot remember if she said that canned produce is also similarly distributed, but I think she did and I'm gonna go ahead and say that it frequently is.

I'm a native of upstate New York, home of Wegman's. For those who don't know, Wegman's is literally and completely the greatest grocery store chain in the history of history. It is not only the poo poo, but since I'm from a rural area, the closest Wegman's (45 minutes away) is where people would go to loving hang out because upstate New York is usually buried under two meters of snow and there's sweet gently caress-all to do unless someone is playing terrible jazz in a state park somewhere. My hometown has fewer than two thousand people (if you count the woods-dwelling tornado bait who only come around to patronize the hardware store) and most of them are pretty loving poor. There's also a not-insignificant minority of extremely wealthy people. Where does everyone go? Wegman's. What does EVERYONE buy? Wegman's brand food. Prepared food, canned food, whatever. Absolutely everyone. Why? because it's exactly the same, in most cases, as the name-brand stuff.

(On the Canadian side, I suppose the brand I'm most familiar with people having equivalent loyalty to is President's Choice. [and, really, those white cheddar shells...yessss.])

Now, think about it. If you were shopping in your supermarket of choice, and you saw Heinz baked beans and store brand baked beans for the exact same price, which would you buy? Probably the Heinz. Store brand ice cream or Edy's? Um, no contest, right? But if there's significant difference in price point between the store brand of, let's say, canned tomatoes, and a "fancy" name brand of canned tomatoes, one likely wouldn't miss out on much by purchasing the store brand. In fact, you might just get the exact same thing. Alphonso's Organic Angel-Kissed Tomato Farm had a bumper crop and Wegman's bought it; Wegman's own brand is Alphonso's fancy tomatoes. The next batch might be some lovely tomatoes that are nowhere near as good as Alphonsos babied, tenderly adored tomatoes that he grows supported in La Perla bras adjacent to an actual field of asphodel, but guess what? It probably will be just as decent.

So, believe in the store brand. Buy that cheap poo poo and feel smug.

but don't ever buy that "avocado hummus" at trader Joe's, because that poo poo tastes like chalk.

http://www.thekitchn.com/generic-versus-name-brand-25-foods-to-buy-cheap-tips-from-the-kitchn-206826
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/generic-vs-brand-name-is-there-really-a-difference/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm generally a pretty good devotee to the church of the store brand, they're cheaper and generally mostly the same. But even I have to say that store-brand soda is the absolute worst.

I mean yeah it kind of has to be to be two bucks for a 12 pack but goddamn is it bad. But I still bought it anyways. :(

I agree; there is nothing worse than store-brand cola. Orange/grape sodas, ginger ale, and Dr. Pepper knockoffs aren't too bad, though.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm legitimately sad for you, that you could be so wrong. It's quite obvious that you've never been to the southern United States and/or never heard of Publix.

Publix shits on your precious Wegman's.

That is all.

I've been to Publix and it's pretty good, don't get me wrong, but it would be sublime if if it were 1. Wegman's, and 2. Not located in the South.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I didn't mean to start a derail. Let's post more abominations!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

It has pissa in its name. Pretty sure it's a pizza. Just like gimbap is still a type of sushi.

Pedantic food trivia! Gimbap is technically not sushi because it doesn't have any "su"! Plain rice, not vinegared rice. Still delicious as gently caress.

No idea what that is, but it looks bad Toddo-san.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

KILL YOUR STUPID SELF

cash crab posted:

A Cash Crab is

1) Straight Honey

2) Mustard

3) Sauerkraut

4) Bacon

5) Jalapenos

6) More sauerkraut

:colbert:

No way, it's:

1. vegan challah

2. refried beans mixed with pickle chips

3. butter lettuce

4. grilled butter lettuce

5. currywurst

6. snails

:byodame:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Schubalts posted:

Dinner today, over rice. Chicken, yellow onion, green onion, spinach, peppers.

A beautiful chef, I am not, but golly it tastes good.

wtf this looks fine you crazeeeee

tribbledirigible posted:

I'm almost positive that didn't come from the can, because like all Ligo products, it's so much worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYKz0Lg0kc

OH GOD

Ligo peanut butter is like the worst thing in the universe. I bought it occasionally when I lived in Korea and always, ALWAYS regretted my decision.

would

but I have never eaten bologna

so my judgment is suspect

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

gay but cute tho posted:

after some research because the things next to the mashed potato cup were bothering me, turns out its justs a photoshop, heres the original, its nutmeg

HAHAHAAH MAKE IT LIGHT

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Roman food also made heavy use of fish sauce. HEAVY. Watch the Supersizers Ancient Rome episode, it's revolting!

As an archaeologist, though, all that fish sauce left traces of various elements in the jars and that's proven to be useful in a number of ways :science:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I unironically miss eggplant wizard

NOPE

China has some kind of Angry Birds burger at McDonalds. the bun is magenta. Should I eat it for the thread? (Chinese McDonalds is the least delicious thing on earth, btw.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

It's mayo with some kinda voodoo done to it, I think. Like a super poor-man's hollandaise.

My best friend worked at McDonald's in high school. he told me the "special sauce" just ketchup mixed with mayonnaise, so I wouldn't be surprised if the breakfast sauce was, like, mayo and tartar sauce.

Other things he told me about McDonald's circa 2000-2003:

1. The shake machine was never cleaned. They tried to do it once and a gelatinous carpet of fetid milk fell out of the back. The manager cleaned it up and then said that she would never clean it again, and for two years, he says they didn't.

2. The Filet o' Fish come in a frozen, perforated sheet. They used to kick it around (in a bag) behind the store until the patties broke up. Ditto for Chicken Nuggets.

3. Said manager was a white woman named Quanasia who once loudly threatened revenge on the woman who stole her man thusly: "She's a nasty-rear end, stank-rear end, piece of white trash, and I'm gonna paintball her trailer."

I don't know if any of these stories are true, but wouldn't it be lovely if they were? :allears:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

UM YOU CAN'T HAVE SHOE ICE CREAM WITHOUT SHOE NUGGETS

My guess is "deconstructed" lemon meringue pie? But it looks like poops, poops, drugs.

P.S. We had no power for 26 hours, so I took all the food and squirreled it away in my work fridge/freezer. I am going to eat a can of refried beans for lunch with this onion I found.

EDIT: OOOOH I ALSO FOUND A TOMATO

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 05:26 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You've gotta post the tweet that goes with this one, because it's hilarious, and relevant now that we have the food fads rolled in.

https://twitter.com/veganrevoiution/status/592329814058639360

You are loving kidding me.

Thank you so much; I had no idea a tweet accompanied that picture. Also had no idea so much joy and hatred could swirl within my heart at once.

P.S. Beans update- my stove is apparently not working now, so I ate raw onion and tomatoes mixed with microwaved beans and green Tabasco. I plan to fart my way downtown so that i don't have to pay for the bus! It was vegan, too, in case anyone was worried about my addiction to cheesy meats.