Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

onemillionzombies posted:

I'll ask plainly: is SEO / Internet Marketing worth getting into now as a career? I'm a baby web designer / front-end developer but i'm keeping my options open. The bullshit is pretty off putting though.. I wouldn't last very long with a company that is essentially scamming clients over SEO.

A little history about SEO and digital marketing. Up to about 2010 anyone with a computer and internet connection could call themselves a digital marketing expert or an SEO. Still to this day, there are tons of people working from home or at an agency claiming they know what they are doing. I would wager about 70% are doing poo poo that is so outdated or not in their clients best interest, not because they are bad, but very few know what works or why it works.

Any jackass can fire up Adwords, download keyword editor, and plug in poo poo from keyword planner. And for the most part, this is what many marketers do. I just finished an analysis for Web.com, who spends $1 million a month in adwords. Their poo poo looks like baby's first campaigns, which makes sense because it was build (and not rebuilt) in 2009.

So if you are thinking of going into this field, I think it is smart. More and more budgets are being moved over to digital from traditional, and most of those ad dollars are going to content creation. The next big thing will be content promotion, which SHOULD be part of creation but most agencies do 80/20 on creation to promotion. That should be reversed imo. This change in focus is also affecting SEO, since companies are starting to pay for SEO on the content they create and not just their home, category, or product pages.

With that said, you can make good money off of a few clients and work remotely. The trouble will be staying on top of weekly changes, which is essentially the most important thing when companies outsource their digital marketing. You'll have to be passionate about what you do otherwise you'll end up burnt out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Thanks for posting!

My goal is to not come off as an idiot/be taken for all our marketing budget after talking to a couple of advertising firms.

Quick question:
Is time the limiting factor on advertising through SEO? Or, is there a certain period I should expect to be disappointed by the analytics even if we're dumping money into a specialized firm?

If you are thinking of doing anything digital you should consider a paid campaign over SEO since it sounds like you are looking for a fast return. As for the fear being taken for all your money, I would suggest finding a guy you like personally that is big on communication.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Efexeye posted:

Yep, as Snatch Duster rightfully points it, it's very very easy (by design) to waste lots of money with Google AdWords. Also, consider that Facebook advertising costs about half as much. A reasonable mangaement fee on a 10k monthly AdWords spend is 8-10%, and a reasonable SEO fee can be literally anything, depending on what you want to accomplish, how much content you want created, the level of depth in Analytics you want, yadda yadda

also snatch duster i didnt mean to throw shade at your thread, i just had a few pms asking me to start one :shrug:

...and onemillion zombies the very first thing i would look for in a candidate to do seo/sem is the ability to write. Design/code is secondary, though it definitely doesn't hurt to know both. Most of the time, you will be writing instructions to developers rather than doing the work yourself, if you go into the industry.

Yea no worries. That thread is specific to starting up a drop shipping site. A general thread is good to have imo.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Efexeye posted:

I like to put the first paragraph or two of the content in the email/newsletter itself, with a link to the site to read the rest. Helps to drive onsite traffic, and it's trackable through AWeber or Constant Contact- who opened, who clicked, who converted, all from the original email.

I agree with this and that call to action improvement. Has your client considered Gmail Sponsored Updates or Customer Matching campaigns in adwords? We like run one or both types along with any email marketing campaigns that we do for clients.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Bee posted:

This client has around 14 potential hirerers in the US, so adwords aren't a fit.

Yea that makes sense. Customer Matching campaigns require 1k email addresses before you can launch it and I think Gmail Sponsored Updates requires a budget of $5k.

• Locked thread