Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I always enjoyed that Gaz falls on his rear end while using the freezing hairspray thing. You don't see your teammates humanized like this at all in the newer games.

Edit: You also talked about how Kamarov's voice actor is talking while he's not present. These old IW games were pretty blatant about reusing voice actors for different roles. Remember all the theories that Ghost in 2 was Gaz back from the dead since it's literally the same voice actor not even attempting a different accent or anything?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

In the first house, if you don't shoot that guy on the first floor facing the window, Price sneaks up behind him and cuts his throat. Surprised you didn't show that off.

EDIT: Also, "the SAW is pretty good-- it's my third favorite LMG." Aren't there only three LMGs in this game? RPD, M60, M249?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Call of Duty United Offensive had bipods, another reason it was the best CoD game
:goonsay:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

You can also use the Bipods in World at War.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

ninjahedgehog posted:

EDIT: Also, "the SAW is pretty good-- it's my third favorite LMG." Aren't there only three LMGs in this game? RPD, M60, M249?

Apparently so. I thought the M240 was in it as well, but that didn't show up until MW2. And if I recall, the silencer is bugged on it there and didn't hide your location for some reason. So you get reduced damage for no benefit except to do the Silencer challenges :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Edit: You also talked about how Kamarov's voice actor is talking while he's not present. These old IW games were pretty blatant about reusing voice actors for different roles. Remember all the theories that Ghost in 2 was Gaz back from the dead since it's literally the same voice actor not even attempting a different accent or anything?

Yeah, that whole game I was expecting them to have Ghost whip off the "iconic" skull balaclava and reveal that hey, it was Gaz all along. It would have fit in with the silliness of the rest of the story, at least...?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Vicissitude posted:

Apparently so. I thought the M240 was in it as well, but that didn't show up until MW2. And if I recall, the silencer is bugged on it there and didn't hide your location for some reason. So you get reduced damage for no benefit except to do the Silencer challenges :v:

I remember reading that the M9 had the same bug. The MG4, as well.

Conversely, combine a suppressor and an underbarrel shotgun on an assault rifle and the loud-rear end shotgun won't make you show up on radar.

EDIT: Honestly, this thread and getting back into CoD4 multiplayer alongside it is kind of making me want to go back to some of the other games too. MW2 in particular, even though I remember it being inundated with hackers and that whole IWNET thing actively working against attempts to avoid them short of saying "well fine then I won't play the game mode I want to play right now". Maybe it's misplaced nostalgia, considering MW2 was the first one I played online. That and the SCAR-H is one of the earliest weapons, I don't think I've yet played a game where the SCAR really let me down any worse than anything else.

EDIT 2: Also, Gaz's animation for cutting that hole in the fence? Interesting as it is that's actually reused. One of the Marines in The Bog used it, don't think Lazyfire caught that.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 31, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alright, everyone. Nine Eastern Standard Time on Saturday for Multiplayer. Make sure to have Mumble installed and be set to get on CTS. I'll post the exact channel in the thread before we get underway.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The segment from the end of this level can go gently caress itself.

If you've ever played this game on upper level difficulties the segments towards the end of the video are probably the biggest pain points to the game. For some reason a pretty average set of hallways are the most dangerous segments of the game in terms of survival and somehow I encountered a save bug in the video that I've never experienced before which is why the video cuts off where it does. On the difficulty I'm playing on it isn't exactly difficult to get through, but it can be a hard fight due to the number of people and the amount of assholery the game is willing to engage in at any given time. The AI's penchant for grenades now extends to flashbangs, for example, making you go blind and getting you stuck in spots at different times. Add to that the weird respawning the silo hallways offer and you have a recipe for frustration. Once you get through it, though (next video), the game goes back to being itself. I would almost compare it to a final boss segment or at least keying you up for one. It's an fun choice in a game where a final boss just wouldn't work butt the developer recognizes you need a final challenge to overcome to feel like you've "completed" the game.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
A lot of people complain about One Shot, One Kill on veteran but I found a pretty good way of getting around it. No Fighting in the War Room was my kryptonite, though. I had the toughest time getting through it until I read up on a walkthrough that advised me to play aggressive instead of conservatively. It went against every rational thought in my mind but I'll be damned if I didn't get through the part I was stuck on in one try by pushing up and staying mobile.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Between the reaction to this level and the TV station in Charlie Don't Surf, IW decided to get rid of infinitely respawning enemies in future COD sequels. And good riddance. It also opened up your tactical options and allowed you to snipe/explode them until nobody was left instead of always having to charge in to finish them.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The second you went down that staircase and turned to face the hallway I got PTSD flashbacks. I've barely remembered a second of this game but I remember that hallway vividly.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Polaron posted:

The second you went down that staircase and turned to face the hallway I got PTSD flashbacks. I've barely remembered a second of this game but I remember that hallway vividly.

Are you sure "Tango down in Section One Alpha" doesn't give you an inexplicable urge to destroy any controller in sight?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I sprint when I reload cancel because it's a shitload faster

Yes I've played too much Call of Duty how can you tell?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Double XP weekend. I'll be on Blops3 as much as I can. I think I saw it was double weapon XP, too, so that'll make grinding camo easier.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

There should've been a checkpoint at the top of the stairs, and another before you chase that last guy into the trap. Weird that you didn't get them.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I remember that there is a similar hallway in Blops 1 and I think trying to clear that on veteran was what eventually made me stop trying to clear it. If there has ever been a good argument against infinitely spawning enemies, it's these long goddamn hallways.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

It's been a long while since I touched the end of the campaign, but I'm seeing a lot of poo poo in this level I never noticed myself in any of my playthroughs. I never knew about that wall you could blow up with C4, or that area with the two G36s near some crates.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Kadorhal posted:

It's been a long while since I touched the end of the campaign, but I'm seeing a lot of poo poo in this level I never noticed myself in any of my playthroughs. I never knew about that wall you could blow up with C4, or that area with the two G36s near some crates.

I've never seen that either, I've literally never gone left right at the beginning. I only turn left for one reason and it's right before you get into the whole 'MP Countdown' silo area. Lazyfire didn't show it off (he might not know about it, I'm not sure), but there's also a Javelin hidden up above the launchpad on a catwalk/balcony. I didn't know about it for the longest time but it makes taking out the final few BMPs a complete joke.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alright, Nine tonight, eastern. We're going to use the Recording channel on the CTS mumble:

So get there and get ready to get hosed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Tofu Survivor posted:

Are you sure "Tango down in Section One Alpha" doesn't give you an inexplicable urge to destroy any controller in sight?

I'll see this and raise you a

HULL BREACH GET DOWN GET DOOOWN!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If your getting on now is the time for CoD4 multiplayer.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
We've got a stream running for this now!

http://www.twitch.tv/pythonicus

Good fun was had, will upload what footage I have (it may be choppy and unwatchable) to YouTube, when I get the chance.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 3, 2016

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I was as terrible as I expected to be, but I had a lot of fun.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

oldskool posted:

It was way better than I thought it would be. I think CQC and I at least would be down for another Multiplayer night in the near future/before the end of the thread.

I both can and can't believe we ended up with Shipment as the last map.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Lazyfire posted:

It was exactly as magical as I remembered. So happy.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

EDIT: I do take a strange amount of pride in how many times I got killed with my own weapons starting from the halfway point. You note one detail about what the ACOG does to a machine gun and suddenly you have the best guns, apparently.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 3, 2016

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Ah dang, I would have loved to join in and be terrible. But as it turns out, my old disc version of this game refused to instal and the copy protection code is in the format that can't be redeemed on steam :negative:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Lazyfire posted:

It was way better than I thought it would be. I think CQC and I at least would be down for another Multiplayer night in the near future/before the end of the thread.

Wasn't able to make it last time but if we do another I'm in. Gotta get some sickass dank illuminati trickscopes for my 240p Youtube montage because this is 2007.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Please do. I wound up passing out at like 6 and waking up at 11:30 at night. :negative:

I should actually probably play a little by my onesie to rank up a little bit. I think I stopped at like 3rd prestige on the 360 but I have nothing unlocked on PC.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oldskool posted:

I fogot cod4 even had ragdolls.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

It's even more ridiculous in old school mode. A buddy and I went to the top of the building in Crash and started direct-impact killing each other with noob tubes just to see how far we could launch our bodies.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wasn't able to make it last time but if we do another I'm in. Gotta get some sickass dank illuminati trickscopes for my 240p Youtube montage because this is 2007.

Pythonicus was on that the other night. I've never been killed by a sniper so consistently in any CoD game.

Tofu Survivor posted:

Please do. I wound up passing out at like 6 and waking up at 11:30 at night. :negative:

I should actually probably play a little by my onesie to rank up a little bit. I think I stopped at like 3rd prestige on the 360 but I have nothing unlocked on PC.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'd like to do a second round. I was actually concerned I would be the one to fall asleep and miss the Multiplayer night considering I have a habit taking a nap after dinner and sleeping for 12 hours on the weekend.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I'd be down for another night at some point considering I missed this last one. This past weekend was bad for free time. :saddowns:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Remember how I was saying things would be wrapping up soon? Well, this is the last episode of the single player. Subponticate Poster joins me for this video which is good because she never played Modern Warfare but did end up playing all the subsequent games in the franchise so she had no idea what the story in MW2 was even about! Just kidding, the story in MW2 has almost nothing to do with anything in this game and may as well have been MW1 if you just take out Makarov's ties to Zahkev MW2 tells you existed all along. I'm serious, if you look at MW2 you could have just made it about Russia being pissed at the West and invading the US. The twist that Price was in the Gulag towards the middle of the game could have been replaced with a brand new character with almost no effort and the only explanation needed was "he used to be Soap's commanding officer." It would have been like the "Remember Beruit" line in this game, implying a history that the game doesn't explicitly have to show.

There's a reason there are almost no ties between the first and second game, though. I mention it in the video, but Activision really, really didn't think this game had legs. Their whole plan revolved around this failing and then World at War coming in and restructuring the franchise and keeping it firmly in the WWII setting they never wanted it to leave. Knowing the expected fate of the franchise, IW just went ahead and killed off almost everyone at the end of the game to give the player a full on ending instead of a cliffhanger for a game that may never come out. That sort of forced them into a bit of a corner when the game became the top selling game of 2007 after launching in November of that year. Now they totally needed a sequel and instead of coming up with a new bad guy for the SAS to fight they invented Makarov and just made him the heir apparent to the leadership of the Ultranationalists. That somehow allowed him to be powerful enough to launch an invasion of the US despite the Ultranationalists ending the previous game as enemies of the Russian Federation and being in disarray. Then in Modern Warfare 3 he was somehow no longer that powerful and had to kidnap the daughter of the Russian president and invade Europe for some reason.

The story to Modern Warfare makes loving no sense.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I decided to break the multiplayer night recording up based on maps. There are five of these and I'm just going to post one a day for the week. Things admittedly started off a bit slow. CQC/DA PANET EARF somehow lost the ability to see servers and so we needed to find the IP address of the server we were in. Somehow that worked out eventually.

Highlights of this video include copious noob tubing, an impact grenade launcher kill and for some reason the server having it so there are no UAVs and you just go straight to jets at three kills. I swear I had mods off. Most every match from the night was pretty fun if not a bit trying when CQC goes up by fifty kills and everyone else plays catch up, but I don't think anyone had a bad time between the technical difficulties and the kind of small population on the server (I think we were doing 4 on 4 for most of the night and that included a random for some of that time).

I know CQC mentions it multiple times over the course of the night, but he hates Crash. I still think it's one of the best maps in the game. It really is the map I associate the most with MW1, it was one of three maps in the beta and one of the most frequent maps in the Domination rotation besides Overgrown. The people I played with when the game came out mostly played Domination (and still do I think) so I probably spent more time trying to kill people on the roof of the tall building and watching hapless pubbies get shot trying to jump on the light posts than I want to admit. One of the weird things on the map is that due to a bug in the Quake engine you can stand on the edge of the helicopter blades and spin impossibly fast on consoles. On PC it's a bit more difficult because you have to move the mouse to look, so you can just push the stick in a direction and have it spin like you can on an Xbox 360 or something. It's completely useless, but in any CoD game with a small, narrow platform like that you can pull that feat off because of the bug, Crash just offers the best opportunity in this game.

Another point in Crash's favor is the number of viable paths you have through the map and the amount of "excess" area available. The place I start the video off in is only really used in objective modes like Search and Destroy or if you are trying to hide from enemies in TDM or something. Same with large sections of the apartment building at the top of the hill, one of the balconies can barely look onto the C point. And the same can be said again for the area off to the side of the three story building, there's nothing there on the side, but it does provide a nice hiding spot. Future CoD games really did away with a ton of these areas that were sort of vestigial in this game as it stood, but had uses for smart players who knew rushing into the high traffic areas or standing where everyone would be looking is a death sentence.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I like that one of the propeller pieces from that Hind just flew right into your face at the end of the campaign. Guess that's Soap dead too!

EDIT: I'm assuming that's me on the preview image for the multiplayer video just prior to dying via impact from a 40mm grenade, yes? I've never felt more popular than playing this game with goons.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 5, 2016

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

I know CQC mentions it multiple times over the course of the night, but he hates Crash. I still think it's one of the best maps in the game.

Because it is one of the best maps in the game and he apparently has awful taste. Or PTSD from capping B in one too many Domination matches. Plus, there was a Winter Crash. Winter Crash!

My top 3 maps are probably:

- Crossfire
- Strike
- Crash

Crossfire and Strike sort of switch based on my mood.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

I'd like to make it known that I was speaking the entire time during this video and just kinda forgot which of my mouse buttons was my push-to-talk key. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
What other big-budget games killed almost every character (or every character, depending on your interpretation of Soap's screen fading to white at the end)?

Besides MW2, I mean.

• Locked thread