Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

drkeiscool posted:

What other big-budget games killed almost every character (or every character, depending on your interpretation of Soap's screen fading to white at the end)?

Besides MW2, I mean.

Halo: Reach ends with literally all but one member of your Spartan team dead (and basically everyone else you interacted with throughout the campaign almost certainly dead as well when the Covenant glass Reach from orbit), and you are not playing the lucky survivor.

And Griggs is totally a Staff Sergeant, Lazyfire, it's why his name's SSgt. :colbert:

Polaron fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I forgot how loving awful the iron sights for the SAW were, Jesus Christ you can't see anything

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

gently caress trying to actually shoot down enemy helicopters with rockets. At least in MW1 it was much easier for everybody on the team to "donate a clip" of whatever weapon they were using to take it out. I say it like that because that was what somebody would always call out when they saw a chopper up in the air and that was the code for everybody to stop what they were doing and just shoot up. It works surprisingly well especially if sombody was running deep impact.

A shame they've made shooting stuff down with bullets more or less useless in the newer games. Particularly in Black Ops 3, if you're not using an LMG or one of the super weapons you're really better off just using the launchers.

Edit: gently caress Mile High Club, i think they only give you like a minute and a half to get through it on Veteran? Either way you don't need luck in completing that, you need loving choreography.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 5, 2016

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

You can totally shoot the guy in the head at the end of Mile High Club. If you wait a second or two the hostage will bump into him and he'll stumble and his head is a nice clear target.

The problem is that you tried to shoot him through the hostage's head, which is generally not advised.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Spudd posted:

I forgot how loving awful the iron sights for the SAW were, Jesus Christ you can't see anything

You think the SAW is bad? The M60 is about a million times worse. It's almost mandatory to run M60 with a red dot if you want to actually see what you're doing.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

gently caress trying to actually shoot down enemy helicopters with rockets

On some maps it hovers so close to the ground that it's a non-issue if you can get close enough.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

At least in MW1 it was much easier for everybody on the team to "donate a clip" of whatever weapon they were using to take it out. I say it like that because that was what somebody would always call out when they saw a chopper up in the air and that was the code for everybody to stop what they were doing and just shoot up. It works surprisingly well especially if sombody was running deep impact.

This though, for the most part. Usually on maps where you can't get close to the chopper, dumping a full box of LMG ammo into one is enough to take it down to almost zero HP. Teammates will usually pick up the slack if they're not pants-on-head retarded. The only problem there is that you're lit up on the map like a Christmas tree the whole time you're shooting at it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah that's definitely a problem of trying that tactic nowadays that people actually pay attention to their radar and will pull up the full map screen anytime they hear weapons fire go off and they don't see it on the minimap.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Tofu Survivor posted:

You think the SAW is bad? The M60 is about a million times worse. It's almost mandatory to run M60 with a red dot if you want to actually see what you're doing.

No kidding. You saw how I hipfired Lazyfire to death with it at the end of that first multiplayer video? That was basically how I had to use it all the time until I got the red dot. I didn't even bother trying the grip out to see how it handled the recoil, partly because I like running LMGs in this game with Bandolier, but mostly because there was no way in hell I was going back to those iron sights.

I've been playing the original Black Ops on my PS3 now too, and while the M60 is basically using the exact same model from this game, by virtue of simply swapping out the rear sight for some wider aftermarket thingy its unmodified form is miles better in that game.

biosterous posted:

You can totally shoot the guy in the head at the end of Mile High Club. If you wait a second or two the hostage will bump into him and he'll stumble and his head is a nice clear target.

If you're playing on Veteran, shooting him anywhere except the head causes you to fail; the explanation you get is something to the effect of "veterans only get headshots".

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

In this episode we get caught in the crossfire. Maybe stranded in it as well depending on if you like a boardgame where you shoot ball bearings at plastic things that housed yet more ball bearings or if you like guitarists that died in plane crashes.

Crossfire may look familiar, mostly because this is the multiplayer map I mentioned in War Pig as being a near exact copy of that single player level. We actually ended up hitting a nice mix of maps that both were and weren't inspired by single player levels. It's between this map and Bog for the title of "most like the single player level" award, and I think Bog wins that easy, but both have some notable differences. As I mentioned in the single player video, there are a couple holes, ladders and doors added to Crossfire that aren't there in War Pig. You don't see it in this video, but the map is sort of like a giant Z, you can go from where you entered the place in the single player campaign all the way down the hill and to the left and get to the second or third floor in a destroyed building there. In hardcore mode that building was a favorite haunt of snipers and people with ACOG M14s who could easily pick off opponents who decided to go hunting down the opposite team. This is one of the more frustrating domination maps to get spawn camped in (they are all frustrating when that happens) mostly because of the Z pattern to the level. If someone traps you in the back corners of the map you have very few options for getting out. You can hope for a massive rush that the other team can't stop, but with airstrikes and helicopters coming in fairly frequently, you are often dead in the water. Other maps have a few different edge spawn points that offer a way out if the other team gets a bit too close, but a smart team can lock down Crossfire pretty easily due to the lack of paths from one end to the other. In this map, nearly everything ties to the main line, and getting around a good team involves more luck than map knowledge.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ah, Downpour. This is a map I really wish I could forget and one of the few that only came up on occasion back when I used to play. There's not much wrong with the map if you are looking to run and gun a bit. There's plenty of openings and the house and shed areas lend themselves to shotguns and SMGs. It's the open area up at the top of the map near the machine gun that I used to dome Pythonicus with loving laser accuracy because I'm that good. That building can be hell to work around, especially in an objective game mode like domination. Trying to press through the house or anywhere around the parking lot thing there relies on no one trying to snipe or providing overwatch from the building there. It isn't an instant win button, but it makes life far easier. That area of Downpour was ripped from the Hunted single player level like I mentioned during that video, but this is a more serious rework than Crossfire was. For one it's much wider, you can go behind the house on the left, off to a dirt road and then to some silos on the opposite side of the shed on the right and both the house and one of the cinderblock buildings are open now. Everything past CQC's hidey hole in the corrugated aluminum shed thing is new to this map, but pulled from Hunted as well. The barn from the end of that level is there, as is a greenhouse as was seen towards the end of the level. Actually, the barn is the exact same as the one in Hunted, which is the same as the one that appears in Heat. CoD games are notorious for re-using assets and animations (sometimes across titles), and CoD4 was no different. There's a couple buildings in multiplayer that are the exact same structures across different levels, and while it doesn't help with environmental variety, it surprisingly doesn't make the maps feel lazy or like they are just copied and pasted together, but I think that's partially because there's so much excess space in these maps that you can't help but feel they were put together with a bit of purpose as compared to the later CoD maps that were just a series of narrow corridors and relatively narrow outside areas/paths. Go run Black Ops 3 right now and look at a map like Infection where there's almost no area that isn't on a narrow path from one side of the map to the next. The only open areas are usually right at the ends of the map, where each team starts. If you look at Downpour, which I always thought was kind of small it keeps the space on the ends, but it isn't just empty space, at least at the bottom of the hill you have the barn and greenhouses, and at the center of the map there's open space, either behind the house or near the silos there's a bit of distance between structures and away from objectives/narrow paths.

It's juts really interesting to see how the maps have changed in CoD is what I'm saying.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

On the flip of Crossfire, Downpour is one of the maps I absolutely hate along with Countdown, Bog and Creek. It's actually sort of funny since Downpour was one of the maps I had one of my best games on. Skulking around with an MP5SD and shooting the enemy team in the back. It was kind of funny how many kills I got on guys who kept running up to the emplaced MG. I think I even got a claymore kill off of a guy who ran back up there for revenge.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tofu Survivor posted:

On the flip of Crossfire, Downpour is one of the maps I absolutely hate along with Countdown, Bog and Creek. It's actually sort of funny since Downpour was one of the maps I had one of my best games on. Skulking around with an MP5SD and shooting the enemy team in the back. It was kind of funny how many kills I got on guys who kept running up to the emplaced MG. I think I even got a claymore kill off of a guy who ran back up there for revenge.

I think this was the only game where I ended up using Claymores on a regular build because people would come for revenge kills if you were in any sort of decent overwatch spot. The map this was incredibly useful for was the ship level (cargo?) and if you got on one of the platforms on either end of the boat. Start sniping from up there and you were near impossible to hit from the ground without explosives and if you had two or so people you could easily set up claymores on the entrance points. People would just run directly into them without thinking and you would have easy, upsetting kills on enemy players.

I actually like the trip mine in Black Ops 3, but mostly because if you are smart enough to put it inside doors on the roof people will walk directly into it without fail, granting you an easy kill almost every time you throw it down.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Overgrown was probably the map I spent the most time on in the heyday of CoD4. It's a nice wide open map with plenty of routes to run, plenty of spots to hide in and more weird spots you can get yourself into than any map in the game. Putting yourself on the bridge near the barn, for example, is time consuming, but provides one of the best views of the map. You can also get into the farmhouse that leads out to the riverbed from the same spot and if you really feel the need to, you can get under the map, though I think they fixed that on PC.

I've always loved how spots on maps in CoD games have earned their own names, often based on who is playing on them. Goons, as I mention in this video, called the aforementioned farmhouse "Anne Frank's House" due to the attic. Offensive, sure, but goddamn if that isn't some decent shorthand. CS:GO putting the place names right on the screen for you (which I think Halo 2 or 3 also did even before that) is probably the future of this sort of thing so everyone speaks the same language, but if you play with a group of people consistently it's amazing the place names that come in. On Battlefield 4 Operation Dawnbreaker has "the building" That's all you need to say and everyone knows exactly where and what that is in Mumble because that's where the entire team heads to drop missiles on skylords.

Speaking of skylords, it was always thought that if you had the right angle and maybe a bit of help from a boost somehow (the game doesn't allow for that so far as I remember) it would be possible to stick a C4 on the helicopter when it hovers over the field near the barn on this map. I don't think we ever proved that would work, but it gets so low it seems possible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So who was the king of honeypop?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I remember this map mostly for a pair of sniper shots that happened while I was playing at various points.

One was when I somehow got two headshots with one bullet from my M21.

The other was when I got up from prone to sprint across one of the two bridges and immediately stood up in between an ally and the enemy sniper that promptly killed us both.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Now Overgrown on the other hand is an instant classic. This was my Facility, my de_dust, my Blood Gulch, my Gridlock. First map I ever played on and the first CoD match I'd ever played online. This was the map me and my pals always looked forward to playing on. Whenever I'd play Team Tac with my buddy and his brother we'd all hole up in the house and pick a side to watch. It was also the map where I got what I consider to be my most hilarious kill.

I was playing Sabotage with my buddy and we were watching the plant point by the gas station. Not many people know this, but you can throw C4 UNDER the plant point. The only way you'll ever see it there is if you go prone so almost no one ever notices until it's too late. They picked up the case and started running it and I tossed my C4, ran back to the fence by the grassy knoll and told my buddy to let me know when they were planting. Barely a second later he tells me they're planting and *click* boom. Two kills and a dropped bomb. That was the kill that made me wish recorded matches were a thing back then.

Overgrown was also the map where I got the best score out of my entire online gaming history. 47-9 with an MP5SD that I eventually had to swap out for an AK on the ground. Not the most impressive score I've ever seen, but I think it was pretty drat good for playing by myself with a bunch of randos.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Subponticate's observation about Activision trying to outdo itself with each game and failing because of that is pretty spot on, and it also lead EA to try and ape it with the Battlefield series with equally bad results.
Bad Company 2 was the first game that did this, with the cast of misfits that spent the previous game trying to get rich turned into this veteran squad sent on dangerous and sensitive missions and it ended with the russians invading the US through Alaska; then Battlefield 3 had as the shocking moments the nuking of Paris with the player in the city and a few moments where various characters died in one way or another (including one that was playable) that were likely to be meant to be dramatic, but the terrible writing in general made them very much not so.
Though EA had a couple of digs at COD:Ghosts, I don't recall any particularly shocking moments in BF4, but that might just be my brain trying to block my memories of that horrible campaign. :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Where my Bad Company 3 at?

fake: cuz BC2 MP was hella addictive

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Watching the MP videos I recognize Crash and Overgrown because they were released as DLC for MW2. On PS3 it was Grandma's House, which persists to this day (any dilapidated old house with an upper floor becomes GH and there are several in BO3). Camping the attic with claymores at either entrance and running scavenger :allears: Or hanging out in the grassy area at the end of the creek in a ghillie. I remember playing HC once and lying down in the grass when someone from the other team literally walked over the top of me. I stabbed him in the foot and he died :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, I don't play a lot of multiplayer in general, and FPS's least of all so please forgive this dumb question: what exactly is a killstreak? I'm supposing you get perks if you have a certain number of uninterrupted kills?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, I don't play a lot of multiplayer in general, and FPS's least of all so please forgive this dumb question: what exactly is a killstreak? I'm supposing you get perks if you have a certain number of uninterrupted kills?

Basically. It was nice and simple in CoD4. 3 kills = UAV, which reveals enemy positions on the map for a short period of time. 5 kills = airstrike, which calls in 3 jets from a predetermined direction to drop bombs on a location of your choice. This one's not that great in cluttered maps because you didn't yet have the ability to chose the direction of the incoming jets. 7 kills = attack helicopter, which calls in a helicopter that will hover over the battlefield and fire down at the enemy team. Can be shot down by coordinated fire so the effectiveness varies.

When MW2 released they turned it into a clusterfuck of options. All of the originals returned plus something like 10 more.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Poor Attack Chopper was really invalidated by just how crazy the killstreaks ended up getting. Why call the dumb old Attack Chopper when for only 1 more kill you can have a bigger,more badass helicopter come in and help? Hell why bother with either of those options with the Harrier existed and good lord if the Harrier wasn't the most overpowered killstreak of any COD game.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Poor Attack Chopper was really invalidated by just how crazy the killstreaks ended up getting. Why call the dumb old Attack Chopper when for only 1 more kill you can have a bigger,more badass helicopter come in and help? Hell why bother with either of those options with the Harrier existed and good lord if the Harrier wasn't the most overpowered killstreak of any COD game.

For the uninitiated, the Harrier was a combo of the airstrike and attack chopper. You'd call it in and two Harriers would make a bombing run on your target area, then a third would fly in and hover over the map, shooting everything that moved and shooting down any enemy air killstreaks. It was also only one kill away from another pretty powerful killstreak, the Emergency Airdrop (places 4 cargo containers at a smoke beacon, which were usually full of useful poo poo like Counter-UAVs and Sentry Guns).

Personally I don't think it was the most OP in a COD game though. Dogs in World At War were ludicrously effective on anything but the most wide open maps, and rather easy to get. You only needed 7 kills to get them and on Hardcore Mode they doled out 1 hit kills constantly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The pinnacle of multiplayer FPS for me was playing Search and Destroy gamemode in CoD4.

It was super tactical and as a sniper I could take out opposing team members 15 seconds into the round.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pipeline is totally a map in CoD4. I really don't know what more to say about it. Getting on roofs was a thing for most of the time I played the game, and people got really upset about that. It was pretty funny, actually. The roofs on the warehouses (I always thought of them as warehouses) were pretty decent places to hang out, and few players understood that just launching grenades at people was a viable strategy.

There's not a ton to say about this map I didn't say about other maps. You have wide open spaces all over the place and a central area that is heavily trafficked. Then you have the underground area, which can either be forgotten completely or be a vital part of turning things around on the map. This is one of those things I love about the older CoD games, you have a ton of options on getting around the map and there are few reasons to not exercise those options. I feel like the more recent titles in the franchise don't really offer those options, or if they do it's by chance, considering the number of alternate "wall running" routes available in the multiplayer now.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Pipeline is a map I like. Not as much as some others, but it at least doesn't inspire the same sort of reaction I get when Downpour shows up on heavily-populated servers and I'm like "god damnit, really?"

Although nowadays the map is more notable in a meta sense because I'm pretty sure one of the two warehouses from it was reused almost unmodified in a Modern Warfare 3 campaign level.

EDIT: also love how CQC noted the variety of weapons being used that weren't LMGs, right as Lazyfire switches to the M249 and I'd been running around for the first minute with my M60. All we needed was someone else piping up that they were using the RPD.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 9, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Shipment is a map that tries to simulate Hell as Dante envisioned it, but instead of circles you just end up with different shipping containers. It's a map built for 1v1 matches that we used to use (as I drunkenly attempt to explain in the video) to anger people who wanted to 1v1 by selecting the map and having our entire team join the game at the last minute and just causing chaos. The map itself doesn't or didn't come up in random rotations, or if it did it was exceedingly rare that I can only remember playing it five or six times ever.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Shipment definitely came up in the random rotation. I've had it in Team Tac more than anything but I've also gotten stuck playing full size Domination matches on it as well. Talk about a clusterfuck. I think the one map I never saw in the random rotation was KiIlhouse.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I always liked Shipment on the more populated maps simply because if you could survive the initial clusterfuck of more grenades than have been produced in the real world long enough to just back off from your spawnpoint and hide in a corner, you'd inevitably get like five bad guys in a row spawning right in front of you sooner or later to just gun down in a quarter of a second. It was the quickest way to grind out attachments.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I was thinking maybe this Saturday at 9 EST would be a good time for the next multiplayer night. I was thinking I would have closed the thread by now, actually, but I really wanted to do another multiplayer night as a few people missed out the first time.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
If y'all are still playing at 10 or so, I'll be able to hop in, but it might be iffy. I hope you get nothing but Shipment, so everyone can live all the magic :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Play Shipment, but pistols only. Yell at anyone who uses a different gun.

(I don't have this on PC so I can't join in, but it's a fun thing to do)

for certain values of fun

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

biosterous posted:

It'd be like that server I once saw in the Halo demo that advertised itself as having a "no Shees" mod but which didn't actually remove Banshees, everyone just joined in a chorus of "NO SHEES" whenever you jumped into one.

I'd be down for another multiplayer night.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

biosterous posted:

If it was console this would be to my advantage. I have a stupid fast trigger finger that unfortunately does not translate to mouse clicks. It's also why the G3 and FAL were two of my favorite guns in MP for 4/MW2.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So it looks like this weekend is a free weekend for Rainbow Six: Siege (which is actually fun and people should look into it if they have a PC that can run it). As such I'm going to go ahead and say we'll cancel the multiplayer night. Actually, I'm probably closing this thread soon and moving on to the next thing, which I have zero timeline on because I want to play through it before I LP it. I do think more game nights would be fun, but be ready with Modern Warfare 2 next time (that is not a hint at what I'm doing next. Seriously. I'm not going to subject myself to MW2).

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Lazyfire posted:

(that is not a hint at what I'm doing next. Seriously. I'm not going to subject myself to MW2).

Definitely the wiser option, here. But hey, the forum finally has a completed CoD4 LP. Congrats on that huge accomplishment!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

CoD4 is the only one I have, so I'll probably miss any & all future game nights, but I'm still in favor of them happening because y'all are good times.

Thanks for the LP, Lazyfire!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
do MW2 on Veteran. Come on, you know you want to.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pythonicus posted:

Definitely the wiser option, here. But hey, the forum finally has a completed CoD4 LP. Congrats on that huge accomplishment!

I'm pretty sure there is another one.

oldskool posted:

CoD4 is the only one I have, so I'll probably miss any & all future game nights, but I'm still in favor of them happening because y'all are good times.

Thanks for the LP, Lazyfire!

MW2 is currently $10 on Steam right now, as is CoD4 and WaW. Good time to pick up one or all of those games. MW2 has a small but active online community still, which we'll be taking advantage of during the next LP.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I meant to kill this thread like a week ago, but I haven't seen my computer since last Sunday, soooooo....

Here's Pythonicus' view of the multiplayer night which he sent to me weeks ago but I never remembered to post for some reason. Remember that if you have MW2 installed you'll be able to participate in multiplayer night for the next LP. It will seriously not be Modern Warfare 2, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Well, good timing on this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDN0HqCQaI

Wonder what the maps are going to be? Crash, Backlot and Crossfire are confirmed so far.

• Locked thread