Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm sure that you'll mention it in the AC-130 video itself, but I think another thing that made that section memorable was its topicality. CoD4 was released around the same time that Wikileaks was starting to be a thing, and making big headlines with the infamous "collateral murder" video allegedly showing the killing of several journalists US forces believed to be carrying small arms and anti armor weapons from the perspective of an attack helicopter. There were also leaked in-flight videos taken from AC-130 craft operating in Iraq and Afghanistan, featuring the very same jocular, detached, "videogame-y" attitude we will see reproduced by the Modern Warfare gunners. To me, it's one of the key points where I can't tell whether the game thinks war is disturbing and alienating, or just really awesome and spectacular.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I guess we'll see how the game looks in comparison when Lazyfire posts the next video. Military technology really is awesome, in the biblical sense of the world. It's horrifying and destructive and utterly captivating. In that video, we have people literally reigning down hellfire from the sky to smite their enemies. Hundreds of pounds of explosives are used to snuff out a dozen human lives through a little blurry TV screen. They don't sound too different from gamers on a teamspeak server. Then Call of Duty 4 comes along to complete the circle.

• Locked thread