Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

Okay, two things. A, I said that I was pretty sure the legal system was based on the Japanese one, so y'all guys can chill. It's just a thing that bugged me...

B, when I played through all the games up to Apollo Justice.

God drat y'all jump on people's poo poo fast when they criticize the game.
Nah, you're just a wet blanket. None of the responses read as an attack or criticism against you from an outside perspective, they're purely informational!

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

HenryEx posted:

Nah, you're just a wet blanket. None of the responses read as an attack or criticism against you from an outside perspective, they're purely informational!

I do have to agree with this. The only one who was a touch insulting was Aerdan ("As stated previously in the thread..."), and even that wasn't that much. I wouldn't have put it into my response, but then, I'm kind of trained in interpersonal communications, so I can't really judge that too harshly.

Anyways, that's my take on it. I'm sorry you were offended.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 25, 2016

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I don't see any problem here. You can't play through all the games up to Apollo Justice without taking objection to stuff.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 25, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Taking :objection: to stuff is kind of the point of the games, tbh.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 2- Turnabout Sisters
Investigation - Part 3

We left off deciding to go talk to the witness, April May.

: Umm... hi. (Smooth, Wright, real smooth.)
: You're the lawyer, aren't you? The detective told me... He said, "Don't say nothing to that lawyer, pal!" Tee hee!
: (Memo to self: thank Detective Gumshoe for making my job harder.)
: Gee! This is all like something out of a movie! It's all so exciting I can hardly contain myself! Oooh! Let me go freshen up so I can look the part of the beautiful eyewitness!

At least it gives us a chance to poke around.

: A simple bed. It's been recently made. Nothing eye-catching here.

: A bottle and two glasses are on the table. Somebody must be staying with her.

: The late summer sunlight streams through the window. There's the Fey & Co. Law Offices building, of course. You can see the inside of the room pretty clearly from here. I think it would be a little difficult to recognize a face from this distance, though.

: Ah. A still-scene painting. Wait, should that be "still life"? Whatever. One of those is hanging on the wall.

: The flowers are fake, as expected. I know sunflowers and tulips, but that's about the extent of my floral knowledge.

: (There's a screwdriver stuck in this drawer. I wonder what's inside? Let's take a look...)

: Oooh. Bad boy!
: Y-you really shouldn't pry around in other people's rooms, now. You wouldn't want to make me upset, would you?
: (Upset!? I thought she was going to explode for a second there! I wonder what could be inside the drawer?)

Now we get to try and question Miss May.

: Do you think you could tell me something? I need you to describe what you observed at the time of the incident.
: Ooh. "Observe," "incident"! You sound just like a lawyer in the movies! I like a man with a big... vocabulary.
: (Umm... *gulp* Better not encourage her.) Er... you know that thing that occur... um... happened the other day? The bad thing? What did you see when it happened? I don't suppose you could tell me about it? Pretty please?
: Let me see... Um, well... Dream on! If you want to know, you'll just have to come to the court tomorrow, Mr. Lawyer!
: (Oh boy.)

: Um, could you... just who exactly are you?
: Oooh, Mr. Lawyer! Are you hitting on me?
: N-n-no! Hey! I'm just doing my job here!
: Tee hee! You know, you're cute when you blush.
: (Believe me, this is the first time in my life I've blushed this much...) Umm... eh heh. Right... can you just tell me what it is you do?
: Well... No! Tee hee! And you had your little hopes up, didn't you!

: I see there are two glasses on the table. Is someone staying here with you?
: Oooh! What amazing powers of observation! You must be one of those famous detectives, like on television!
: Oh, no, not me, I'm, er, just a lawyer!
: Say, Mr. Big Detective, why don't you go look for clues... in the garbage? Hmm? Miss May doesn't like nosey little lawyers... Hmph!

Ah, what the hell, let's show her our badge. Maybe it'll help!

: Excuse me, but I'm a witness? Police witness? You understand? How could I possibly give you any information in good conscience, hmm? Me... "the witness"! It's just like the movie!

(It never helps.)

So we might as well go do what we promised we would.

: (Well, maybe I should just wait here for him to come back.)

: (If that wasn't the most over-the-top clearing of the throat I've ever heard!)

: Uh... y-yes, that's me! (He looks even... grander than I imagined!)
: Hmm...? That badge on your collar...? Ah, so you're a lawyer, are you now?
: Y-yes, well... yes.
: And what do you want? I'm not particularly busy these days... Please, proceed!
: (Not busy...? Then how come no one could get in touch with you?)
: Hmm? Something the matter? You came to see the one-and-only Marvin Grossberg, did you not? Well, here I am, boy! What do you want? Out with it!
: Um... w-well, sir, actually, it's about Maya. Maya Fey.

: Ah... yes. Maya Fey. Go on.
: (Hmm? Why the strange reaction?)
: A-cha-cha. I'm really quite busy here, son. I can't go taking cases on a day's notice! No, it's quite impossible.
: W-wait a second! How did you know the trial was tomorrow!?
: Urk? Ahem!
: A-anyway... I'm afraid it's entirely impossible for me to represent her. Sorry. End of discussion.
: (What's going on!? He refused me before I even got a chance to ask him! What do I tell Maya...?)

That'll wait until we poke around some.

: A table for clients. Hmm... an elegant ebony case, and if I'm not mistaken, that lighter's made of solid gold. Even I can tell someone here's got money to burn.

: An expensive potted plant. No idea what kind of plant it is, but it's probably the most expensive one available.

: A solid mahogany desk. The wood's been polished to a deep luster.

: Expensive-looking mahogany bookshelves, filled with expensive-looking books. Hmm... funny... they don't look like they've ever been read.

: That painting has been bugging me ever since I stepped in here. The oil paint is so thick it's practically giving me a stuffed nose. I'm sure the price is nothing to sneeze at either, for that matter.

Now, we get to question Grossberg.

: How can you just refuse like that! Please, tell me why you won't take the case!
: Hmm? Eh, ahem! Well, you see it's just... I'm busy, you see!
: But the client is Mia Fey's sister!
: Hmm... ahem.
: Mia trusted you... She knew her sister would be in good hands.
: Yes, yes, of course I know that. However! I'm sorry but, I must refuse. Sorry. Good-bye.
: Creep. Fine. I don't have time to argue with you anyway. I'll go look elsewhere.
: *grumble*... Think not.
: Huh? did you say something?
: I think not, I said.
: Wh-what do you mean?
: I'm terribly, terribly sorry. But I'm afraid that no lawyer worth their salt will take on this particular case. Terribly sorry, m'boy.
: Why!?
: I... I cannot say. ... I beg your pardon, but could you leave? Now? I've nothing more to discuss with you.
: (What's going on here!?)

: How did you know Mia Fey...?
: ... She... worked here. A long time ago. Quite the apprentice, that one. Learned my techniques in the blink of an eye. She left one day, quite suddenly... She had a mission, you see.
: A "mission"?
: You could see it in her eyes. She followed it with a burning passion. Never looked back, that one.

: That's... quite a painting.
: Ahah! You noticed! It's my pride and joy! Impressive, isn't it? Well? ISN'T IT?

: It's worth at least three million. I have no intention of parting with it, of course. No, I won't sell it! Not even to you!
: (I wasn't interested...)
: It's not for sale!
: I'm not buying! (Geez!)

And we try the badge...

: Very sorry, but I've got nothing to say regarding this matter.

Time to go tell Maya.

: Hiya.
: Oh! You're back! Did you find the lawyer?
: Um... well... (What do I tell her?) Well, see... (Just be honest!) I... I really don't think you should use that guy. He... didn't seem healthy. He was all skin and bones!
: ... What really happened?
: ...
: You don't mean... He refused to help?
: Urp.
: I see. I've been abandoned, then.

We at least have some new conversation to have.

: What about your family?
: I only had my sister. My father died when I was very young. And I don't know where my mother is.
: (Don't know...? So she could still be alive?)

: The women in my family have been mediums for generations. They say that E.S.P. runs in our blood. About fifteen years ago, our family was involved in an... incident.
: There was a man, and he... he... He ruined our mother's life.
: ("Ruined"...?)
: After that, she disappeared.
: Several years after that, my sister announced she would "become a lawyer" and she left the mountain.
: ... So, you live by yourself?
: Yes. I've gotten used to it. Oh, also... I had to become independent, or I would lose my E.S.P.!
: (I feel bad for her, all by herself up on that mountain...)

: So, who was this man who, um, "ruined" your mother?
: About 15 years ago... there was an unusual murder case. It made quite a stir, everyone was talking about it, apparently. The police were running out of leads, and they were getting desperate...
: Wait... they didn't use a spirit medium, did they?
: The police convinced my mother to try to contact the victim.
: Wow... So, what happened?
: The case was solved... we thought.
: You "thought"...?
: The man my mother helped the police capture was innocent.
: ...!
: The police's consultation with a medium had all been carried out in secret, of course. But...
: A man found out about it and leaked it to the press. He told all the papers that my mother was a fraud, and the media jumped on it big time.
: She... my mother... became the laughing stock of the nation.
: I see.
: ... White...
: Excuse me? White?
: That was his name. My sister told me.
: White? Hmm...
: Just a little longer now before the state-appointed lawyer comes, I guess...
: ... (4:00 PM. Time's up. What should I do?)

: (There's nothing left here for me to do... She'll be better off with a state-appointed lawyer.) I think I'd better get home now.
: Good-bye.

: The result of the trial was in the newspaper. "Guilty." I'll probably never meet her again. Did I make the right choice? Will I ever know? Mia... if you can hear me, please, tell me! ...

: I'm not leaving here until she takes me as her lawyer!

From here, things play out the way they would from the other path.

: I've made up my mind! I'm going to defend you whether you want me to or not!

: Why?

: ... (No one is as sad as a person without any friends.)

: You aren't the culprit! Someone else is!
: H-how do you know?
: I, um, I have a hunch... (Given the evidence, it would be easy to assume that Maya was the killer. But there's something about this whole thing that smells... fishy.)

: To be honest, I don't know.
: You don't know?
: (Is this girl sitting in front of me the killer? All the evidence seems to say "yes." But there's something about this whole thing that smells fishy.)

Convergence.

: (I know... I've been there. A long time ago.)

: (Because someone has to look out for the people who have no one on their side.)

: There's only one thing I know for certain. I won't abandon you. You can count on me.
: ... That's so kind of you...
: *sniff*... ...

We fade to black for a moment.

: Let's fight this one and get you out of here!
: R-right! Thank you!
: (Whew, she smiled at last. She looks like an entirely different person!) One last question... You are innocent, right?

: And I trust you... So you trust me, too, okay?
: It's a deal. (So, what next... There's something that's been bugging me...)

: (It was when I tried to look into the drawer that she got all defensive. There has to be something in there!)

Better go check it out!

: Excuse me, you are...?
: Ah, I beg your pardon, sir! I am the bellboy of this establishment, at your service, sir.
: Oh, right.
: I've just come up to deliver room service, sir.
: Um... do you know where Miss May might be?
: Ah. I believe our guest Miss May is currently using the, er, facilities...? If you've no need of anything, I'll be taking my leave. Please, stay as long as you like. Enjoy...
: Yeah...

: ... (Why does it seem like every time I come here, I end up embarrassing myself? Wait... now's my chance to snoop around a bit!)

: Gah! Y-you came back quick!
: Might I ask you to inform Miss May that there is a message for her? Please tell her that Mr. White, of Bluecorp phoned.
: Oh, right. Sure. (Mr. White... of Bluecorp? Where have I heard that name?)

: That was his name. My sister told me.

: (Could it be a coincidence?)

Well, let's take a look at that drawer.

: There's a screwdriver sticking out of that half-open drawer. Now's my chance to see what's inside! ...! What do we have here!

: What would a woman like her be doing with a thing like this? There is definitely something suspicious about this "Miss May"!

: Why would she have something like this in her hotel room? There's a story behind all this, I know it! Alright... I'll be using this bit of evidence in tomorrow's trial, that's for sure. For Maya's sake...

: (Uh oh, time to scram! I look forward to tangoing with you tomorrow, Miss May! In court!)

Next time: Court!

California Fish and Game Code, Subsections 6880-6885 posted:

As used in this article, "frog-jumping contest" means a contest generally and popularly known as a frog-jumping contest which is open to the public and is advertised or announced in the newspaper.
Frogs to be used in frog-jumping contests shall be governed by this article only. Frogs to be so used may be taken at any time and without a license or permit.
If the means used for taking such frogs can, as normally used, seriously injure the frog, it shall be conclusively presumed the taking is not for the purposes of a frog-jumping contest.
Any person may possess any number of live frogs to use in frog-jumping contests, but if such a frog dies or is killed, it must be destroyed as soon as possible, and may not be eaten or otherwise used for any purpose.
A frog which is not kept in a manner which is reasonable to preserve its life is not within the coverage of this article.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 28, 2016

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Does Japanese law actually allow lawyers to say "This is totally evidence, trust me, I picked it up at the witness' hotel room yesterday", or is that just a game conceit? A lot of bits in this update screamed 'foul play' as far as western legal systems play out, massively stacking the deck against the defendant, but no moreso than something like women being buried much deeper for a stoning than men are. Trying to use the wiretap as evidence seems like it wouldn't work even there, though.

...Although, even as I type that, I'm pretty sure that in a lot of places there would be no problem with the prosecutor doing that, just as long as it's not the defence. Now I'm bummed out.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Legal ethics aren't really a thing in Japanifornia, no.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Japanifornian law is primarily soap-opera based.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
On top of which, "evidence" in these games is practically its own state of matter. Did Phoenix actually take the wiretap? Did he photograph it? Does merely being aware of its existence enable him to project its Platonic ideal into the courtroom through sheer force of will? Yes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
If it's in the Court Record, it's good enough for the kindly ol' Judge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Later in the series, it's implied that there are preliminary hearings where initial evidence is submitted despite trials happening the day after the crime.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Waffleman_ posted:

Later in the series, it's implied that there are preliminary hearings where initial evidence is submitted despite trials happening the day after the crime.

Considering what we've already seen in terms of evidence suddenly becoming relevant when nobody thought it would be until the witness said a certain thing, that has all sorts of potential for humorous-in-retrospect situations. "Your Honor, I want to place the victim's passport into evidence. I have no idea why, but maybe someone will mention something during the trial that will make her recent travels relevant? What? No, it's my partner's sister who has E.S.P., not me. I'm just getting a hint from my Protagonist Powers that this passport is going to be needed tomorrow, that's all."

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tax Refund posted:

Considering what we've already seen in terms of evidence suddenly becoming relevant when nobody thought it would be until the witness said a certain thing, that has all sorts of potential for humorous-in-retrospect situations. "Your Honor, I want to place the victim's passport into evidence. I have no idea why, but maybe someone will mention something during the trial that will make her recent travels relevant? What? No, it's my partner's sister who has E.S.P., not me. I'm just getting a hint from my Protagonist Powers that this passport is going to be needed tomorrow, that's all."

Actually, I think it's a nod to the fact that there tends to be facts in cases which don't seem to be important but can be crucial to proving a client's innocence, but also facts which do seem to be important but turn out to be irrelevant.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Tax Refund posted:

I'm pretty sure that every successful defense lawyer in the Ace Attorney games has that power (most of the prosecutors too). I think you have to be some kind of latent psychic to win as a defense attorney in Japanifornia. Of course, the whole thing would be a lot less weird and humorous if discovery was a thing here, but it isn't so both sides are blindsiding each other constantly; it just works out that since they restrict the defense's access to the police's investigation that we mostly are the ones getting blindsided.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I really wonder if this frame wasn't set up for Phoenix and Maya stumbled into it. Miss May doesn't seem like the sort of person you want anybody talking to.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WFGuy posted:

...Although, even as I type that, I'm pretty sure that in a lot of places there would be no problem with the prosecutor doing that, just as long as it's not the defence. Now I'm bummed out.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the intended feeling the writers meant to convey.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, question for any lawyerly types here in the thread. My experience of watching amazingly bad procedurals has taught me that the prosecution is required by law to share any and all information the prosecutor is aware of with the defense here in the US, but that the defense is not required by law to share anything at all.

In actual real life, what is the case here?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: I'm sure one of them heard the clock tell the tiem when the incident occurred!

Found a typo in the third update.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fixed, thanks!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No problem.

Mors Rattus posted:

: [i](Great. Just great.)

Here's one more from the first update of Case 2.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also fixed now, I'd misplaced a closing italics earlier in the post, whoops.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Since I'm on a computer now, I'll do the last two at once.

Mors Rattus posted:

: A s-spirit medium!? (I'm oretty sure that qualifies as strange.)

Typo here and another in the quote (assocThiated).

There's also a loose letter s at the end of the update.

This was the only typo here, aside from you putting "drog" instead of frog in the quote.

And that's all. Looking forward to the next update. :)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All fixed!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Mors Rattus posted:

Incidentally, question for any lawyerly types here in the thread. My experience of watching amazingly bad procedurals has taught me that the prosecution is required by law to share any and all information the prosecutor is aware of with the defense here in the US, but that the defense is not required by law to share anything at all.

In actual real life, what is the case here?

Per the Model Rules (rule 3.3), lawyers are required to present all legal authority to the tribunal, even if directly adverse to their client.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Look at this neat as heck thing in a twitter video:

https://twitter.com/aqua_rondo/status/713529228667400198

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Is Nick based somewhat off of Perry Mason?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not that I know of. The game was originally conceived as a game where you played a detective who was accused of a crime and had to represent himself, but the creator Shu Takumi eventually decided the whole detective aspect was superfluous.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 2- Turnabout Sisters
Court - Part 1

: The court is now in session for the trial of Ms. Maya Fey.

: The defense is ready, Your Honor. (Miles Edgeworth... I'd better not show any signs of weakness today, or he'll be on me in an instant.)
: Mr. Edgeworth. Please give the court your opening statement.
: Thank you, Your Honor. The defendant, Ms. Maya Fey, was at the scene of the crime. The prosecution has evidence she committed this murder... and we have a witness who saw her do it. The prosecution sees no reason to doubt the facts of this case, Your Honor.
: I see.
: Thank you, Mr. Edgeworth. Let's begin then.

Little error on the game's part there.

: The prosecution calls the chief officer at the scene, Detective Gumshoe!

: Witness, please state your name and profession to the court.
: Sir! My name's Dick Gumshoe, sir! I'm the detective in charge of homicides down at the precinct, sir!
: Detective Gumshoe. Please, describe for us the details of this murder.
: Very well, sir! Let me use this floor map of the office to explain.

: And the cause of death?
: Loss of blood due to being struck by a blunt object, sir!

: The court accepts the statue as evidence.
: (They're still calling it a "statue"...)

And while we're in here...

'

: Y-yes sir!
: You immediately arrested Ms. Maya Fey, who was found at the scene, correct? Can you tell me why?
: Yes sir! I had hard evidence she did it, sir!
: Hmm. Detective Gumshoe. Please testify to the court about this "hard evidence."

: Hmm... The very moment, you say. Very well. Mr. Wright, you may begin your cross-examination.
: Y-yes, Your Honor. (Cross-examine what...?)
: (I couldn't see a single contradiction in that testimony...)

: (Hey! Maya just threw something at me...)

: ("When my sister couldn't find any contradictions in a witness's testimony she would bluff it and press the witness on every detail! The witness always slips up and says something wrong... It worked lots of times!" Heh... I should have expected Maya would know some of her sister's tricks! Alright. Let's give this a try!)
: Something the matter?
: No, Your Honor. I'd like to begin my cross-examination.

: Who did you say you got a call from?
: Hey pal, don't play dumb! You know who!
: The call was from a customer at the Gatewater Hotel, right across from the crime scene!
: (Hmm... okay, I pressed. Not sure it did much, though.)
: Right. Please continue.

: Detective Gumshoe, how long would you say it took, between you receiving the call, and your arrival at the scene of the crime?
: Hmm, right... I'd say it was about 3 minutes!
: Th-that's pretty fast!
: Our motto this month is "quick response"!
: That's how I got there before the killer got away!
: Indeed! So, tell us who the two people you found on the scene were.
: Yes sir!

: Are you absolutely sure it was us?
: Listen pal, your dumb act will only get you so far!
: With her funky hippie clothes and your spiky hair?
: You two stand out like... like suspicious people at a crime scene!
: (Well... he does have a point about her. She is pretty unmistakeable.)
: (I should pick my points to press with a little more care...)

: Why's that? What's your reason?

Pressing either of these statements moves us on, so we'll hold off a bit. Instead, we loop.

: (I can't see a single contradiction in there!)
: (I'll just have to take Maya's advice and press him on anything suspicious!)

Okay, back.

: Hold on just one second!
: Y-yeah?
: If I heard correctly...

: Huh?
: Did... did I say that? Me?
: I heard you say it!
: You did say it.
: You said it.

: Wh-what!? Miss May isn't suspicious, and she sure isn't pink, pal!

: That's enough, Detective Gumshoe.
: Do you have any more solid proof other than her claims, Detective?
: Umm...
: (Hmm! I guess pressing can have its advantages!)
: Yes.
: (Gah!)
: Sorry, I got the order of things mixed up in my testimony, Your Honor Sir!
: There was something I should have told you about first, Your Honor!
: Very well, Detective. Let's hear your testimony again.

: Hmm...
: Before we begin cross-examination, I have a question for you, Detective.
: Y-Your Honor?
: Why didn't you testify about this vital piece of evidence the first time!?
: Ah... eh... I know. I'm real embarrassed I forgot about it, Your Honor Sir.
: Try to be more careful!
: Very well, the defense may begin its cross-examination.

: And did you find any evidence?
: Now, now, don't jump the gun on me, pal. Just listen. I'm getting to the good part!
: (I got a bad feeling about this...)

: Just because you found it next to the body doesn't mean the victim wrote it!
: Ho hoh! Then who did write it, smarty-pants?

: Th-the killer! Anyone can see that!
: Hoh.
: You're saying the killer wrote her OWN name!? Buddy, please!
: She was framed!

: Hold on.

: Ah... (Urk! Argh!)

: Those without evidence shouldn't open their mouths, Mr. Wright.
: Yeah, pal!

: Well... it could have been the witness, Miss May!

: Hold on.

: Try pulling the other leg, Mr. Wright!
: Yeah, and while you're at it, pull mine too, pal!
: (Argh...!)

: It... it could have been me!
: What! S-so it was you!

: Can you prove it wasn't?

: Hold on. So, you admit to this?

: Uh...
: Listen to me, Mr. Wright. This is a court of law, and I expect you to refrain from making thoughtless statements!
: Amateur!
: (...!)

Convergence.

: Do you have proof it was Mia who wrote that!?
: Of course I do, pal!
: (Uh oh... he sounded pretty confident. This might not be good...)

: What kind of "tests" were these again?
: Huh? What kind? Umm... well... I hear they take the, um, little bits in the blood, the... er... hemo... hemogl... Hermo... goblins... hobgob... Er...? Herma-goblin bobbin...
: I-I refuse to testify on this matter, sir! I'm no expert on blood tests!
: Yes, that was quite clear. You may continue with your testimony.
: Th-thanks, pal. I mean Your Honor Sir.
: Detective Gumshoe.
: Y-yeah?
: I think you can expect a pleasant bonus in your next pay check.
: Oh? Oh hoh hoh.
: (That was a mess...)
: Right! Where was I?

: On which hand was the bloody finger, Detective?
: The right hand!
: (Hmm... she WAS right handed...)
: Hah hah hah! Nice try!
: (Uh oh... I guess it wasn't too hard to see what I was getting at there.)

: Detective Gumshoe! Do you get a lot of cases where the victim actually writes the killer's name?
: Sure! It happens all the time in books and the movies!
: This isn't a movie, Detective.
: Oof!
: Let's talk about reality, shall we?
: Umm... I guess, I haven't heard of many cases... no.
: Don't you find it a little odd that the victim would write down a name? Especially the name of her own sister?
: Ah, yeah, actually, you got a point, pal.

: Stop right there.
: The witness's opinion on the matter is irrelevant! The facts are clear: the victim wrote down the name of the accused...
: The victim told us the name of her killer!

: Order! Order!
: (That didn't go so well...)
: Th-that's right! What he said!

Loop.

: (That's his whole testimony... Okay, there has to be a contradiction in there somewhere. Let's find it!)

Can you find it?

Next time: We find it.

Delaware Code Ann. title 11, Section 1004 posted:

A person is guilty of advertising marriage in another state when the person erects any sign or billboard, or publishes or distributes any material giving information relative to the performance of marriage in another state.
Advertising marriage in another state is a violation. In addition, a peace officer of this State may seize and destroy any sign, billboard or material which the officer observes in violation of this section.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 8, 2017

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
... Wait a minute.

Didn't the earlier case notes say that Mia died instantly after being struck on the head? In that case, how did she have time to write Maya's name? Looks to me like the murderer dipped Mia's finger in her blood and wrote Maya's name with Mia's finger. Which tells us two things: 1) The murderer is pretty stone-cold, and 2) he/she knew Maya was coming over at 9 o'clock. And I have a pretty good idea how he/she could have known that, too.

Yes, I did read the previous LP, but it's been long enough that I've forgotten everything except for one detail from the third case. When that one comes up, I'm going to recuse myself from speculating. But this one is speculation, not memory. (Even though I'm pretty sure I'm right.)

vvvvv I'm guessing the point was that people were running off to Vegas to get married, and some Concerned Citizens™ petitioned the state legislature to Do Something About The Problem™.

Also, you should probably spoiler-text everything after "I should note that", so we don't spoil it for other people who want to speculate on their own without knowing other people's guesses.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 30, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

quote:

Delaware Code Ann. title 11, Section 1004 posted:

A person is guilty of advertising marriage in another state when the person erects any sign or billboard, or publishes or distributes any material giving information relative to the performance of marriage in another state.
Advertising marriage in another state is a violation. In addition, a peace officer of this State may seize and destroy any sign, billboard or material which the officer observes in violation of this section.
Wait, really? :psyduck: I live in Delaware and yet I've never heard of this. I wonder what the point was?

As for the case, yeah, seems like Tax Refund is correct. As well, I should note that Mia's body was in a blind spot underneath the window, and thus how would Ms. May know to call the police about a murder? Of course the foreshadowed answer seems to be that she's a plant. (I saw the previous LP but remember none of the details beyond Mia's death, so just about all of this is foreign to me.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 30, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edgeworth is here. :smug: levels are rising rapidly.

He's also a lot more cutthroat than Payne was, so I can see why they didn't want this to be the tutorial case.

Mors Rattus posted:

: ("When my sister couldn't find any contradictions in a witness's testimony she would bluff it and press the witness on every detail! The witness always slips up and says something wrong... It worked lots of times!" Heh... I should have expected Maya would know some of her sister's tricks! Alright. Let's give this a try!)[/i]

Loose tag here.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Edgeworth really puts on the pressure. He's real quick to throw in objections when you aimlessly press witnesses, and is pretty good on ruthlessly calling and decimating your bluffs.

Still one of the best adversaries in the series.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Edgeworth is great. Just look at that dismissive headshake, it's so drat condescending.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edgeworth is here. :smug: levels are rising rapidly.

He's also a lot more cutthroat than Payne was, so I can see why they didn't want this to be the tutorial case.

Loose tag here.

Fixed.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Edgeworth is great. Just look at that dismissive headshake, it's so drat condescending.

There are certain animations that beat Edgeworth in my opinion (I'm thinking about one from the 2-4 culprit and one from the Investigations 2 - 5 culprit) but if you consider the full suite Edge beats everyone hands down. He's just so expressive.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It can't be emphasized enough: Edgeworth is the smuggest smugger who ever smugged.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gumshoe is not just an acceptable cop, he's a bonus-worthy cop?

Unless Edgeworth is hinting at a pink slip.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gumshoe had a livable wage before he met Edgeworth.

Also, that note Maya gave you is your official tutorial on pressing, as this is the first time in the game you're required to do it. You can get through 1-1 on objections alone.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Glazius posted:

Gumshoe is not just an acceptable cop, he's a bonus-worthy cop?

Unless Edgeworth is hinting at a pink slip.

No, prosecutors just literally have the power to cut the salaries of detectives in Japanifornia.

That or Edgeworth has that much influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Much like Phoenix has those exclamation points that get removed when he makes dumb remarks, Gumshoe has a similar meter for his salary.

And unfortunately for him, witness testimony requires him to speak.

• Locked thread